hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member Leith Green's Avatar
    Its the clear lack of playing style that concerns me most. I hear a supposed style the manger wants to play and then i look at his signings and the way we are setup and i dont see anything remotely close to us doing that.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    Lovering was a good player

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by HFC93 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    According to hibs.net, Heckingbottom is a hybrid of Calderwood, Fenlon, Duffy, Auld, and Butcher.
    Ironically we had a great start to our only full season under Duffy.

It's almost as if the first few games DONT necessarily define the next season...

Quote Originally Posted by James Stephen View Post

It's almost as if the first few games DONT necessarily define the next season...
    I think he had us in 1st place for a week or two.

Quote Originally Posted by James Stephen View Post

We were on a downward trajectory by the end of August in 97/98. Celtc and Killie games were great, but the limp 1-0 defeat in the derby at the end of the month set the tone for what was coming.

That’s got nothing to do with anything, of course. Just a bout of pedantry, sorry!

Testimonial Due Stokesy's on fire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Jamie McQuilken?

He was a left-back, signed by Duffy and hopeless.
    He ended up at sheep didnt he? Was crap at them as well

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Jamie McQuilken?

He was a left-back, signed by Duffy and hopeless.
    In my top 5 of all time people who should never have got to wear the green....

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CorrieHibs View Post
    I get folk saying lower league players. However, Vela and Newell played in the championship last year. That’s a pretty decent standard and should be more than capable to cope in the Scottish premiership. Albeit both got relegated, and are probably low on confidence.

Aribo was playing league 1 football last season and before that he played for Staines Town! So, there is gems down there. We just need to find the right ones.

I do think they need a chance. Look at Cosgrove in his first season at Aberdeen.
    That is a tired and leaky argument. Championship level is certainly a good level and all the English senior league is decent - but that does not mean that every player who plays in it is particularly good and will improve our team. History has proven though that there are indeed some gems to be had and I sincerely hope that Newell et al get over their insipid starts to their Hibs careers and end up qualifying for that category. There's no guarantees though.

Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    That is a tired and leaky argument. Championship level is certainly a good level and all the English senior league is decent - but that does not mean that every player who plays in it is particularly good and will improve our team. History has proven though that there are indeed some gems to be had and I sincerely hope that Newell et al get over their insipid starts to their Hibs careers and end up qualifying for that category. There's no guarantees though.
    more so, if they were so good at that level why would they move to Scotland at 23-26 years old earning max 4k a week when they would get double that in the Championship and be in a better window to move to the top league?

Vela might be a player but tellingly Scott Allan is Hibs best player and he wasn't a Heckingbottom signing. James and Jackson may be decent but the others so far look like duds.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Where the players are from is irrelevant.
    Are they any good and, equally important, do they blend into at least one good, balanced starting XI.

Difficult to judge the former as I think we don't have the latter - we don't have a good midfield.

Said it before the league kicked off that the good organised teams will over run our midfield - playing too many attackers and not enough actual midfielders.

You can argue all you like about whether our players are good with the ball but we may not know as we don't have enough midfielders who are good without the ball to provide them the platform they need.

Neither Heckingbottom or Hibs season is a lost cause but we need another midfielder who starts every game or we're gonna be an easy mark all season.