hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Midfield

Hybrid View

Midfield

Mallan, Allan, Vela, Slivka, Murray.

The above are fighting over 3 places. Its absolutely terrifying to me that we could be going into a season with only these options.

I've been a heckingbottom fan up until now, but if he is serious when stating he will not be signing anyone else he will not make it until Christmas.

They are all very similar. None have pace or physicality and none of them are actually defensive minded. We will get bullied by most teams in this league.

Lets face it. The midfield have been soft as **** for the past year. Teams waltz through our midfield. There is zero cohesion. They cant keep a shape or stay disciplined off the ball. There are players in there who simply hide when we have the ball. They dont want the responsibility. People talk about brave midfielders. To me a brave midfielder is someone who wants to take the ball in tight areas and feels confident enough to play their way out of it. Im only seeing that with allan at the minute.

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lets face it. The midfield have been soft as **** for the past year. Teams waltz through our midfield. There is zero cohesion. They cant keep a shape or stay disciplined off the ball. There are players in there who simply hide when we have the ball. They dont want the responsibility. People talk about brave midfielders. To me a brave midfielder is someone who wants to take the ball in tight areas and feels confident enough to play their way out of it. Im only seeing that with allan at the minute.
    I know he has his fans on here but the constant in that midfield has been Mallan. I just don't think he has any of the necessary attributes to play the role he's being asked to play. That's twice in a row at Ibrox he has been absolutely dreadful.

We know how good Allan is, he's a first pick. Vela's looking a bit lost at the moment but that is mainly due to the carnage around him - I think he is a decent player. I think we need a first pick to play in midfield with these 2, and then I think we need some decent back up for those 2. Mallan is backup for Allan.

I think we then need an extra wide player in addition to Middleton and another striker.

If we get this sorted there will hopefully be a bit less pressure on our defence who aren't normally as bad (or as exposed) as they were today.

If we don't get these players in we'll be bickering about this until January again, when we'll probably sort it. We may well be 8th or 9th and have managed to get through another manager by then though.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I know he has his fans on here but the constant in that midfield has been Mallan. I just don't think he has any of the necessary attributes to play the role he's being asked to play. That's twice in a row at Ibrox he has been absolutely dreadful.

We know how good Allan is, he's a first pick. Vela's looking a bit lost at the moment but that is mainly due to the carnage around him - I think he is a decent player. I think we need a first pick to play in midfield with these 2, and then I think we need some decent back up for those 2. Mallan is backup for Allan.

I think we then need an extra wide player in addition to Middleton and another striker.

If we get this sorted there will hopefully be a bit less pressure on our defence who aren't normally as bad (or as exposed) as they were today.

If we don't get these players in we'll be bickering about this until January again, when we'll probably sort it. We may well be 8th or 9th and have managed to get through another manager by then though.
    Mallan has zero pace, questionable passing ability, zero physicality and presence but on a good day can score goals and great for others. He is a total luxury player but he and Allan cannot remain in the same midfield unless we change the formation.

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Col2 View Post
    Mallan has zero pace, questionable passing ability, zero physicality and presence but on a good day can score goals and great for others. He is a total luxury player but he and Allan cannot remain in the same midfield unless we change the formation.
    The choice isn't between Allan and Mallan. It's Mallan or Newell, and Mallan wins that hands down.

The biggest worry (among a few) for me is Heckingbottom's suggestion that he has built a team that could now carry out the style he wants, ie high energy and pressing. Particularly in midfield, but generally across the park, this is simply not the case and it's worrying that he believes it to be so.

The guys he has brought in look even slower and lower energy than what we had before IMO. TBF Vela looks like he potentially could do it but he seems a bit lost in terms of what he's being asked to do. The few guys that probably could play in the way he wants were either here already (Boyle, Horgan) or not really his signing anyway (Allan).

Hecky deserves a chance based on the way he so impressively got results out of nothing last season, but there are certainly warning signs. I imagine we will be OK due to the relative weakness of the league but these opening games have been so disheartening.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    The choice isn't between Allan and Mallan. It's Mallan or Newell, and Mallan wins that hands down.
    This is how I see it, too.

Quote Originally Posted by 500miles View Post
    In an ideal world, I wouldn't have Newell or Mallan in the starting 11 but given the Hobson's choice it would have to be Mallan.

The present Hibs midfield devoid of Allan doesn't bear thinking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

When we don’t have the ball Mallan contributes s.f.a.
    Slivka is a better option v the ugly sisters imo

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Wake up call for Hecky

If he doesn’t bring in quality recruits he must know he won’t be here come Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Marvin View Post

The above are fighting over 3 places. Its absolutely terrifying to me that we could be going into a season with only these options.

I've been a heckingbottom fan up until now, but if he is serious when stating he will not be signing anyone else he will not make it until Christmas.

They are all very similar. None have pace or physicality and none of them are actually defensive minded. We will get bullied by most teams in this league.
    All very similar? So we've 5 x Scott Allan on our hands then?

Of course not. A defensive midfielder is needed for games like today, but I read a lot last year about how Milligan/Marv were wasted for most games so with that 5 we should be fine for 80 odd % of games.....

Changes needed, in mentality/playing style above anything else, but let's not spraff here.

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post

Of course not. A defensive midfielder is needed for games like today, but I read a lot last year about how Milligan/Marv were wasted for most games so with that 5 we should be fine for 80 odd % of games.....

Changes needed, in mentality/playing style above anything else, but let's not spraff here.
    I don't think it's me that is 'spraffing' here, pal.

I said they are all very similar. None are fast. None are big and physical. None can tackle. None are good in the air. None are defensive minded first and foremost.

They are all tidy on the ball. All like to create. None of their first instincts are to defend.

The above adds up to them all being very similar players - not identical players like you incorrectly quoted me as saying.
    Last edited by Lee Marvin; 11-08-2019 at 08:59 PM.

I think I was fairly alone with this opinion but I thought at the time letting Bartley go was a mistake, underappreciated player who really contributed something to the team. I know he wasnt the most gifted technical player but he always contributed something which is more than you can say about most at the moment. Also agree that some games weren’t suited for him but he’d still have been handy to have around imo

First Team Breakthrough
    Christ, now we've got people wishing Bartley was back? He would have been chasing his tail today just like the rest of them.

You have to look at what Hecky is trying to do - he wants us to be a possession based team. I actually think we have the central midfielders to do it but it is a hard style of play to pull off as it requires a lot of good movement and tactical understanding. I've not seen today's game but at St. Mirren our off the ball movement just wasn't good enough. We just didn't quite know what to do - centre backs passing between themselves etc. Against an aggressive team like Rangers who won't give you space it is no surprise that we have been walked through today.

Hecky obviously needs time but we from a tactical perspective he needs to set out clearly what he wants the players to do. I'm not seeing that yet.

I will say this though, if we want to turn up on a Saturday afternoon and see players like Scott Allan being allowed to play then we need to understand that it might not always work. I'm personally fine with giving Hecky time if it means I get to watch Hibs attempt to play football in the right way. I get a sense that the folk complaining that we are too lightweight would also be complaining if were lumping it long to Doidge every week with a team full of huddies.

Bit of patience required.

First Team Breakthrough Anthony Soprano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibsGW View Post
    I think I was fairly alone with this opinion but I thought at the time letting Bartley go was a mistake, underappreciated player who really contributed something to the team. I know he wasnt the most gifted technical player but he always contributed something which is more than you can say about most at the moment. Also agree that some games weren’t suited for him but he’d still have been handy to have around imo
    Nah no chance, Bartley was finished and it was evident in his performances, a great servant during his 4 years and undoubtedly will go down a legend but it was the right decision.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

I think the comments were fair.

If the kids are good enough then play them, if not we need a defensive minded option because at the moment the balance seems all wrong.

Stop spraffing then... if you can't honestly see the similarities to Vela,Allan and Mallan then maybe time rewatch them.. Allan is the best out the 3 by a mile but if we go with those 3 all season 6-1 against Rangers away will be the least of our problems

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar

I think he makes a good point and agree with him. Who in your opinion out of those options has any pace or physicality?

They are all very similar types of players, but with varying degrees of ability.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Mallan and Allan can't play together. Pick one and stick the other on the bench, then sign someone who can tackle.

Left by mutual consent!
    Aaron Tshibola is still available. He was good for Killie last year and would immediately improve our midfield. Aston Villa owe us a favour or two too.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Mallan and Allan can't play together. Pick one and stick the other on the bench, then sign someone who can tackle.
    Totally agree. If Allan isn’t the one that remains in the team between the two of them I’d probably chuck football all together.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Marvin View Post

The 2 in bold are the only 2 that I feel relatively confident in to offer us game-changing performances.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hi Heid Yin View Post
    The 2 in bold are the only 2 that I feel relatively confident in to offer us game-changing performances.
    I can't remember the last time Mallan offered that, in far too many games he's a total passenger. It doesn't help he's being played so deep. I'd rather Fraser Murray was picked instead of Mallan.

Left by mutual consent!
    Mallan needs to be in and around the opponents goal as his biggest skill is his shooting. Unfortunately our manager seems to think he's a deep lying playmaker or a box to box midfielder dependant on how the game is going which is usually poorly.

I wonder if he could play in Newells position. Cutting in on his right foot. If he can't then he's backup to Allan and on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    I can't remember the last time Mallan offered that, in far too many games he's a total passenger. It doesn't help he's being played so deep. I'd rather Fraser Murray was picked instead of Mallan.
    I agree that Mallan is often played too deep and this frustrates him I'm sure as much as it frustrates the rest of us.
    He is clearly less effective when playing further back.
    When played further forward he offers far, far more in terms of goal threat and assists.

He didn't win the POYT last season for nothing.

Murray, for me anyway, always comes across as bog-standard average and not a game-changer.
    He has a long way to go to be mentioned in the same breath as Stevie Mallan.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hi Heid Yin View Post
    I agree that Mallan is often played too deep and this frustrates him I'm sure as much as it frustrates the rest of us.
    He is clearly less effective when playing further back.
    When played further forward he offers far, far more in terms of goal threat and assists.

He didn't win the POYT last season for nothing.

Murray, for me anyway, always comes across as bog-standard average and not a game-changer.
    He has a long way to go to be mentioned in the same breath as Stevie Mallan.
    We both agree that Mallan is better further forward, our manager insists on playing him in a position where he offers little to nothing in most games. If we are to play with a "luxury" player there is no question in my mind that Scott Allan gets in the side ahead of Mallan.

He had a great start to last season, but I'm struggling to remember his last assist or goal.

I like the little I've seen of Murray, has pass to setup McNulty against Aberdeen shows he has some quality and he deserves a chance ahead of Mallan IMO. Mallan is only in the side on the off chance he might hit a long range shot or get a free kick, but like I said when did he last score ?

Has Malumba a signed for anyone yet ?

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    I think we need two energetic box to box midfielders that can harry and win the ball and then give it you Allan.

I don’t think we can afford the 1 player that has the attributes and quality needed to make a balanced midfield 3 from Allan and Mallan/Vela. It’s two Omeomga type midfielders we need complimenting Allan IMO. Given the money we’ve spent on a Mallan & Vela I think our midfield won’t be good enough or what we need for a long time yet while we persist trying to work out how to fit Mallan and/Vela into it.

Allan actually gives the ball away a lot and we need someone in and around him swapping up after him, Mallan And Vela ain't that type they also want be trying things which just doesn't work and means we will continue to lose out in there and most likely lose games week on week

Was saying to someone at work today I cannot understand for the life of me why he let Milligan go and hasn't replaced him with a similar type of player

Dreadful decision that is now coming back to haunt us...we cant go thru till the Jan window with the current midfield ...surely??

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk