hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is how it feels (The Rangers 11 08 19)

Sitting in the car park after the game and waiting impatiently to get on the road, I took time to reflect on what I’d just witnessed and think of what word would best describe those feelings. Disappointed, embarrassed, angry or worried? I came to the conclusion that it was a bit of each. Disappointed that we’d put up such a poor show; embarrassed that we’d folded so easily in shipping six goals; angry that the substitutions left us wide open to attack and worry that those people on the messageboard who predicted a hammering were scarily correct. I’ve read Hecky’s comments to the press and for once I wasn’t overly impressed as, to me, the introduction of a second forward when we were down to ten men was a major error of judgement. Yes, it worked against St. Johnstone last season when we won 2-1 but this was Ibrox and the Rangers, a whole different kettle of fish.

To the game itself – we started with a 4-5-1 with Whittaker and Mackie flanking Hanlon and McGregor in defence; Horgan, Mallan, Vela, Allan and Newell were strung across the middle with Doidge on his own up front. On paper a good choice but it soon became apparent that our full backs were getting little or no protection from the wide midfielders and the Rangers took full advantage. Time and again they exploited the fact by doubling up against our full backs and it took them less than ten minutes to secure the lead their play deserved. A shot from outside the area was palmed out by Rocky but into the path of Defoe who couldn’t miss. I felt the keeper could have made a better job of dealing with the initial shot by pushing it round the post but in fairness the original effort came through some legs and may have unsighted him slightly.

It was soon 2-0 with Ojo slipping his marker on their left before he provided a low cross which our defence couldn’t deal with, allowing Defoe another tap in. That goal was as a direct result of Whittaker being left to mark two men again with Horgan nowhere to be seen. In a rare foray upfield, Hibs created a chance for Mallan but his effort sailed over the bar whilst the Rangers continued to dominate and Defoe might have had a hat trick but was denied by a fine Marciano save. Moments later Defoe hit the side netting and then Rocky had a wonderful flying save to put the ball over the bar.

I remember thinking that if we could keep it to 2-0 until half time Hecky would get the chance to reorganise. In fact we went one better than that by grabbing a goal after Horgan beat McGregor in a one on one. The chance was created by the one sublime piece of football we played all day as Scott Allan picked Horgan out with a lovely reverse pass that left the Rangers defenders for dead.

As we limped to half time I found myself praying that Hecky would replace the totally ineffective Newell with either Kamberi or Shaw in the wide left berth as someone had to stop Tavernier having the freedom of Ibrox. Half of my prayer was answered in that Newell did not reappear but his replacement was Fraser Murray.

Ironically I felt that in the first ten minutes or so after the break we looked much more composed and actually enjoyed decent possession but the whole picture changed after Sean Mackie inexplicably used an arm to block a pass and as he’d already been booked his second yellow card offense meant John Beaton had no choice but to dismiss him. The necessary reshuffle saw Horgan sacrificed with Gray coming on to play right back and Whittaker switched to the left.

It was the hosts dominating the game again before Hibs took the chance to make another change. Scott Allan had picked up a knock and from the subs available I’d have expected Slivka to get the nod but instead it was Kamberi which meant we had two strikers and a considerably weakened midfield. I know that Hecky later said ‘you’ve got to go for it’ but I don’t share that view. We were already under the cosh and that change simply made the Rangers stronger, not us.

A string of fine saves by Rocky kept the score at 2-1 but not long after Tavernier had rattled our crossbar the smallest man on the park managed to outjump two of our defenders at the back post. Defoe got his hat trick but I doubt he’ll score many easier ones. Defoe was immediately replaced and that brought Morelos into the equation. It didn’t take him long to make his mark as he picked the ball up just inside his own half and sped off at pace, leaving a trail of Hibs players in his wake before crashing a shot past Rocky at the near post.

It seemed to me as though Rocky was being left to keep the score down almost on his own but following another couple of good saves he was beaten again by Morelos and then in time added on, Ojo found the net after a deflection sent Rocky the wrong way.

Going back to my initial comments on how I felt, I need to add humiliated because that performance was not befitting our football club. Manager, coaches and players all share the blame and they really need to get their act together quickly.

The players

Marciano – It seems odd to say this, given he’d shipped six goals and could have done better regarding a couple of them but Rocky gets my man of the match award.

Whittaker – I felt, especially in the first half when he was regularly outnumbered, he put in a decent shift.

McGregor – A central defender in a team that’s shipped six goals is not going to earn any plaudits for his performance.

Hanlon – See McGregor.

Mackie – Left horribly exposed at times in the first half I cannot fathom out why he used an arm when he knew he was already on a yellow. I understand some on twitter are saying it hit his shoulder but from my vantage point at the other end of the park it looked to have struck his arm.

Horgan - Credit to the laddie for making the run and scoring the goal but apart from that he was largely anonymous and no help whatsoever to Whittaker.

Mallan – Part of a centre midfield that was continuously overrun and so offered little of any note in a positive sense.

Vela – I actually felt a wee bit sorry for him because with the wide men failing in their defensive duties he was pulled left and right to try and help the full backs.

Allan – The lad must be helluva frustrated because other than that peach of a pass for the goal he had pretty much zero movement ahead of him for the most part.

Newell – I’m going to resort to an old football cliché here. It was like playing with a man short. I don’t know if the massive crowd got to him but he was like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

Doidge – Another who failed to impress and the Rangers central defenders didn’t give him a sniff.

Murray – Made more of an effort to help his full back but the dismissal of Mackie gave him little opportunity to offer anything going forward.

Gray – It was good to see him back but he looked a mile off the pace if truth be told.

Kamberi – Shouldn’t have been on because the appalling weakening of our midfield meant he didn’t even have scraps to feed off.

Hecky – Sorry PH but you got that one very wrong and saying the shape didn’t lose us the game, rather losing the balls in silly areas, doesn’t sit well with me. We could have shipped double figures today and our shape and substitutions would have been high amongst the reasons for doing so.

The fans – Deserve an award for, mostly, staying to the bitter end.

John Beaton – A number of daft and baffling decisions but otherwise what you’d expect from him – admittedly those two things are one and the same!
    This is how it feels

2. Log in to remove the advert

Well done for trying to put a summary to that performance.

Did our back 4 think DeFoe was offside after Rocky's save for first goal, as they all seemed to stop?
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

I just don't want to talk about it. See you in a week or two.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Paul Hanlon was dreadful , It's becoming a common theme

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Brilliant Jonnyboy

Spot on

Been waiting for this all evening

I can go to my bed now with my Cadbury’s Cookies

Good to see the introduction of the players surnames doesn’t change the result though

@hibs.net private member hibeejeebies's Avatar
    Fair summary Jonnyboy.

Was Scotty definitely carrying a knock when he came off? I watched my stream with the sound off (for obvious reasons) so couldn't quite tell.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Gets an easy ride on here. He has to step up lose his place. Been very poor for a while now.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

First Team Breakthrough
    Hanlon has been poor since the start of the season looks very slow

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbydad View Post

Along with McGregor.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    And for a good few games last season as well, if porteous is fit it's time to try him and jackson next week

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Along with McGregor.
    Normally very reliable in these types of games but not at the races today

@hibs.net private member
    McGregor and Gray have 4 year deals, felt both looked perhaps like this level is beyond them now.

Not just since the start of this season.

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    McGregor and Gray have 4 year deals, felt both looked perhaps like this level is beyond them now.
    Ideally gray would not have played today, he will be nowhere near match fit yet

Left by mutual consent!
    Gray, Jackson, Porteous, Stevenson

Would be pretty solid I think

I thought that other than Whittaker he was our best player against St Mirren, and didn't do much wrong in the league cup games.

He wasn't great last season and was part of a weak unit that was mauled today but he's certainly not where I would be looking to start the rebuild.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Jonny, you deserve a medal for taking the time to write about that clusterf*** today. In fact you deserve one for staying until the end. It was abject: 34 shots on our goal goal, 19 on target is unbelievable. We were lacking in every department; there isn't much else to say, other than it had better not happen again.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibeejeebies View Post
    Fair summary Jonnyboy.

Was Scotty definitely carrying a knock when he came off? I watched my stream with the sound off (for obvious reasons) so couldn't quite tell.
    He went down blocking a cross prior to the sending off and took a bit of time getting to his feet for the corner. And then during the sending off went off voluntarily for treatment. Didn’t look like a tactical subbie to me but more like a precaution if he was struggling. Hecky made mistakes today but I don’t think taking Scott Allan off was one of them.

Hanlon and McGregor were bloody awful today and they’ll know it. Defoe on the other hand remains class and it would be nice watching him if he only played for someone else.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    He went down blocking a cross prior to the sending off and took a bit of time getting to his feet for the corner. And then during the sending off went off voluntarily for treatment. Didn’t look like a tactical subbie to me but more like a precaution if he was struggling. Hecky made mistakes today but I don’t think taking Scott Allan off was one of them.

Hanlon and McGregor were bloody awful today and they’ll know it. Defoe on the other hand remains class and it would be nice watching him if he only played for someone else.
    As a Spurs fan it’s horrible watching him play for them

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Not a captain and needs benching.

@hibs.net private member hibeejeebies's Avatar

Cheers bud.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Since the start of last season I'd say.

I backed him for a Scotland place in our first season back but he's regressed so much. It was supposed to be due to an injury last season but obviously not now.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Since the start of last season I'd say.

I backed him for a Scotland place in our first season back but he's regressed so much. It was supposed to be due to an injury last season but obviously not now.
    He got a bit of a chasing today J. Not an easy watch with both of our leaders looking so badly exposed.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    He got a bit of a chasing today J. Not an easy watch with both of our leaders looking so badly exposed.
    Pah. I don't go there these days S, well done to you to brave it although the whole "experience" sounded horrendous.

That defence will be the 'back up' defender in each position in a few months, imo.

Hanlon has been largely poor for a couple of years now

@hibs.net private member Devonhibs's Avatar
    My Rotherham season ticket mate said when we signed Newall that he wont defend and will occasionally deliver a nice left footed cross - that would be it. Seems he knows his onions.
    "Home advantage gives you an advantage" Sir Bobby Robson

Testimonial Due
    Thanks Jonnyboy, couldn’t view the match, been waiting for some perspective from you.

Hibs fans singing horrible songs today? - My 64 year old family member said he would struggle to attend another away game due to the younger generation of fans. He said to the left of the Hibs fans rangers had a Lee Rigby Banner and a miniorty sang about him in a disgusting manner. The next one was a song that sounded like the tune of fields of athenry with words about David gray which followed with “f*** the UDA in it” then he said an middle aged gentleman alone was singing about the 66 rangers fans not being enough that died he said he had a James connelly scarf on if that narrows it down.

Now I fully expect to take abuse for this even though I don’t feel I should. My family member has attended hibs games home and away for 50+ years and was deeply saddened to hear this today. According to him it was a minority and was the section where the drum was coming from.

Left by mutual consent!
    Since Motherwell away last season.

We usually over exaggerate the could've been double figures comment but today Rocky did stop that, Could've been 3/4 at half time but from a world class pass and finish which for me suger coated that first half.
    Vela, Mallan and Allan are all far to similar for me with Allan being the better one by a mile, chance he got with those two next to him?
    Unsure what Hanlon n Daz were upto today has Heckie ran them into the ground or have they just forgot how to defend?
    Subbed at halftime says It all regarding Newell, I do think he'll play most weeks unsure why as he looks scared to beat a man is he even interested? Definitely doesn't look it.

Most worrying thing was most saw this coming.. only one game but alarm bells ringing regarding the lack of fight, game management today..
    Last edited by smithy_hibees; 11-08-2019 at 09:53 PM.