hibs.net Messageboard

Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Heckingbottom

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    it was down to lennon playing him in every position on the pitch.
    It’s a convenient excuse for a guy that hasn’t delivered often enough imo.

I’m not doubting it hasn’t helped his cause but he’s still had enough chances to show more than he has.

Lennon signed him and most of the time didn’t play him. Hecky has inherited him and again, most of the time he hasn’t played him. I’m not saying their opinion of a player has to be taken as gospel, but it’s telling that even the manager that signed him didn’t play him often.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 15-08-2019 at 08:01 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post
    Players player and fans, iirc

This is similar to those people who couldnt see what McGeogh brought to the party. Mallan, like every player, will have good and bad matches.
    Difference is that McGeouch is a vastly superior player than Mallan.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Some real hatred towards Stevie Mallan on this thread. Sits nicely with the vitriol being aimed at the manager, new players and anybody who dares to support them.
    Which is nice.
    Point out the hatred please?

Left by mutual consent!

This is similar to those people who couldnt see what McGeogh brought to the party. Mallan, like every player, will have good and bad matches.
    The boy is only 23 years old, he’s still learning, we can all agree that last season wasn’t fantastic but he still stepped up finished the season as our top goal scorer and bagged plenty of assists. I think the criticism of him is pretty harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Point out the hatred please?
    Easy to find within the last 20 posts. Not by you I should add.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barman Stanton View Post
    Have you seen Killie this season? Slivka would walk into the Killie team.
    Slivka is not better than Power and Dicker regardless of how Killie have started this season

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    He hasn’t.

To me, a run of games would be 5 or 6 starts in a row, where the manager tells him to play without fear and impose himself on the games.

Slivka has never had that opportunity. Admittedly this has also been due to injury or him playing badly.
    He had a run of games last season where the general consensus was that he had been our best player. He then had one underwhelming game and people instantly reverted to the same old clichés about him not grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck.

Left by mutual consent!
    Slivka’s best game last season was probably against Elgin. Thought he was outstanding that game.

If Slivka left to join another club would anyone really actually care? He is alright and is sometimes involved in a game but not top 4 in Scotland standard for me.

Anyway Heckingbottom has a big month now so hopefully a hammering of Morton on Saturday will get the confidence back a wee bit. St Johnstone and Motherwell after has to be 3 or more points otherwise...

No, what McGeouch brought was actually clear. What does Mallan bring?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron1875 View Post
    If Slivka left to join another club would anyone really actually care? He is alright and is sometimes involved in a game but not top 4 in Scotland standard for me.

Anyway Heckingbottom has a big month now so hopefully a hammering of Morton on Saturday will get the confidence back a wee bit. St Johnstone and Motherwell after has to be 3 or more points otherwise...
    Slivka played 22 games the season we finished 4th, so he is more qualified than Mallan to be playing for a top 4 side.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo6-2 View Post
    Slivka is not better than Power and Dicker regardless of how Killie have started this season
    Disagree, still think he would get a game for Killie easily. Yet another Hibs player getting a booting though. Wonder who is next.

Left by mutual consent!
    Disagree, still think he would get a game for Killie easily. Yet another Hibs player getting a booting though. Wonder who is next.
    Skivka doesn't get a hammered on here.

Its the blind love people have for him on here that pisses folk off.

Hes had enough chances under different manager's over the last 3 year to prove himself. Hes simply not good enough for a top 3 team.

Hes had enough chances under different manager's over the last 3 year to prove himself. Hes simply not good enough for a top 3 team.
    Who in our squad is? Not one has ever regularly played in a top 3 team other than Whittaker years ago.

Slivka is good enough to improve our current midfield, that's what actually matters.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TreadsoneScot
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Slivka played 22 games the season we finished 4th, so he is more qualified than Mallan to be playing for a top 4 side.
    Started less than a quarter of league games.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Allan played 12. Doesn’t mean Slivka is more qualified than him.

Stevie May played 41 for the team that finished third last year and he’s absolutely jobbies.

@hibs.net private member
    [QUOTE=MWHIBBIES;5887984]Who in our squad is? Not one has ever regularly played in a top 3 team other than Whittaker years ago.

Slivka is good enough to improve our current midfield, that's what actually matters.

That's what matters just now.

Thats my point. Now its just yet another Hibs player getting a booting, from yourself. Its getting tiring, non stop criticism of all things Hibs on a Hibs forum.

Im not Slivkas biggest fan but think he is a good squad player to have. I think people forget how young he is as well. Guy only turned 24 this year and already has 35 international caps. Still plenty time for him to improve.

Left by mutual consent!
    Thats my point. Now its just yet another Hibs player getting a booting, from yourself. Its getting tiring, non stop criticism of all things Hibs on a Hibs forum.

Im not Slivkas biggest fan but think he is a good squad player to have. I think people forget how young he is as well. Guy only turned 24 this year and already has 35 international caps. Still plenty time for him to improve.
    I actually agree with you mate hes a squad player. Not the messiah folk make out on here.

If he is what we are relying on week in week out for 3rd place we are simply not going to make it.

I actually agree with you mate hes a squad player. Not the messiah folk make out on here.

If he is what we are relying on week in week out for 3rd place we are simply not going to make it.
    Iv honestly never seen anyone on here talk about Slivka like he is the Messiah

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Slivka was a squad player who the club thought would be one for the future, he's a pretty average player who has had the odd very good performance during his time at the club.

Our midfield has become so bad now, that Slivka should probably be one of the first names on the team sheet, certainly he's a more important squad player now than he ought to be after the transfer window we are having.

First Team Regular
    Very worrying times if people genuinely think Slivka is actually the missing link and going to turn our season around.

Slivka is simply not good enough and if we want to challenge for 3 place we need much better.

Slivka would not get a game for Aberdeen Killie or even Hearts.

Sad state of affairs
    You forgot to say "" In my opinion ""

Testimonial Due
    Shown in games he can be class. In others he looks like a teenager that has just woke up and has to go to school. A real enigma. Needs a strong character to play alongside him to keep going.

First Team Regular Heedersnvolleys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Slivka was a squad player who the club thought would be one for the future, he's a pretty average player who has had the odd very good performance during his time at the club.

Our midfield has become so bad now, that Slivka should probably be one of the first names on the team sheet, certainly he's a more important squad player now than he ought to be after the transfer window we are having.
    Yip I agree

@hibs.net private member
    The problem in hibs midfield is not that these guys are poor players just that they cant play the role required.

Mallan and slivka have good qualities, the best of which are when we have the ball. Mallan has excellent passing range, is comfortable on the ball and has a great shot on him. Slivka is neat and tidy, doesnt tend to give the ball away and makes some good late runs into the box.

Neither have strong defensive qualities though. Mallan will try to get stuck in but lacks athleticism. Slivka can get about the pitch but is far too timid.

So we can continually argue about which should be playing, and there are merits to both, but the best solution is neither unless they are taking vela or allans place. We need a new midfielder in pronto.

Left by mutual consent!

👍

Slivka's biggest (and most justified) criticism relates to his consistency and the fact that he occasionally doesn't impose himself as much as he could.

Whilst this is true, I don't remember him being part of a midfield that has been torn apart anything like as often as Mallan has. Mallan is the one who has the greatest fluctuation in performance from the excellent down to the woeful.

Mallan is a bigger risk than Slivka right now.

Quote Originally Posted by PH91 View Post
    The problem in hibs midfield is not that these guys are poor players just that they cant play the role required.

Mallan and slivka have good qualities, the best of which are when we have the ball. Mallan has excellent passing range, is comfortable on the ball and has a great shot on him. Slivka is neat and tidy, doesnt tend to give the ball away and makes some good late runs into the box.

Neither have strong defensive qualities though. Mallan will try to get stuck in but lacks athleticism. Slivka can get about the pitch but is far too timid.

So we can continually argue about which should be playing, and there are merits to both, but the best solution is neither unless they are taking vela or allans place. We need a new midfielder in pronto.
    I agree with every word of this and tbh if we get this sorted, about 80% of our team's problems will be sorted and I'll feel far more confident about our chances going forward.

Bizarre how Slivka gets stick for his consistently but not Mallan? Is that because he is always missing? Is that consistency?

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    No, what McGeouch brought was actually clear. What does Mallan bring?
    I am aware of what McGeoch brought, I am a huge fan - what I was suggesting is that some people on here (even today) questioned whether he was a good player or did enough for the team.

So, while you and I see that clearly - others do not.

Same with Mallan, imo - fans can be blinkered (indeed plenty of fans know brussel sprout about football).

There is a reason Mallan won POTY and players POTY, and its not because he is crap or brings nothing to the party.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    I am aware of what McGeoch brought, I am a huge fan - what I was suggesting is that some people on here (even today) questioned whether he was a good player or did enough for the team.

So, while you and I see that clearly - others do not.

Same with Mallan, imo - fans can be blinkered (indeed plenty of fans know brussel sprout about football).

There is a reason Mallan won POTY and players POTY, and its not because he is crap or brings nothing to the party.
    I'm not going to get into another McGeouch debate mate. With regards Mallan though, he had a great start to his Hibs career and on the back of that coupled with noone else really being a standout throughout the season was awarded POTY. It's not that his detractors can't see what he brings to the team their issues (I include myself in that) is when he's not hitting a dead ball or hitting a shot he's offering heehaw. When was his last goal ? Last assist (Hearts away I think.) None of this is helped by a manager trying to fit him into a position that he isn't suited for.

If football was like NFL and you had special teams Mallan would be great option to have, unfortunately it's not and you have a guy on the pitch there in the hope we might get a free kick within scoring distance but we can't afford a luxury like that in our side.