hibs.net Messageboard

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Heckingbottom

First Team Regular scm70nyd1973's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bernz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's fair to say that no manager would get an easy ride after a result like today, but should Paul get a bit of leeway due to his results so far?

Or does his style of football have alarm bells ringing, regardless of results?
    i am going to try and be as measured as I possibly can here and I am not calling for PH's head - but - whatever way you want to look at it this result at Castle Greyskull is surely (I stand to be corrected on this) by far the worst since the 7 nil gubbing we got there near to the end of Lexo's tenure. It is not quite up there like that cup final or Malmo but it is not that far away from it.

Alarm bells wouldn't ordinarily be ringing for me given who we were playing and where but a "lesson from history" makes me a wee bit twitchy if I am honest and I can see why my fellow Cabbage lovers are concerned by a result like this and - let's not forget it - a pretty inept performance to accompany it.

I am am more concerned with the style of play we might have to put up with and where that can take us as I can't stand to watch it. I am sad as we appear to be heading back to the bad old days of the two uglies being at the top and all the rest are supposedly non meaningful. If we are back to the bad old days then from my point of view we really need to have a team playing enjoyable football so that our interest is maintained. I just have a horrible feeling we are not going to get that from PH but he obviously has to be given a chance and I sincerely hope he proves me to be wrong and I can say that I was wrong - nothing would give me greater pleasure !

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Regular Basildon Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pointer View Post
    I haven't been able to read many comments but I hope Leeann has Heckingbottom in her office at 9 o'clock sharp for a meeting without coffee. A serious debrief is necessary to prevent a further disaster.

Some are saying The Rangers and Celtic aren't our immediate competitors which is of course nonsense. They're just two teams in our league and as we have a larger budget than some clubs, they have one larger than us, but it shouldn't stop eleven players on the park busting a gut to defeat them.

Hecky has a lot of explaining to do - and I have an Ibrox season ticket holder to face.
    Spot on. Another thing that bothers me about the mindset of Scottish teams outwith the OF is that they all think they should be aiming for 3rd or 4th / Europe' before the season even starts.

You should always be aiming for first place.

😎

Quote Originally Posted by Hi Heid Yin View Post
    Hecks inherited Neil Lennon's team and initially benefitted from "the new manager buzz" - enjoying some decent results with gritty but unspectacular football. Once a top 6 place had been clinched, he could not inspire a victory out of the players and the season fizzled out meekly.

The summer gave him a chance to bring in his own players - lower league standard in the main and with no SPL experience. Allan was not his signing.
    The additional quality that I felt Hibs needed never arrived, and failing to sign McNulty and Omeonga and Ojo merely served to frustrate and disappoint.

The league cup games came and went with unspectacular to okay performances, where the necessary points were secured to progress in the competition against lower league/inferior quality sides.
    The 1st league game, again, was unspectacular, with Hibs huffing and puffing and genuinely struggling to find a way through a resolute St. Mirren. Allan's goal saved the day as well as Hecks neck from a harsher post-match inquisition.

The signs leading up to The Sevco game were ominous - uninspiring football from a disjointed and questionable quality Hibs led by an uninspiring, cliche-spouting manager.
    The Ibrox capitulation, then, did not come as a surprise to this Hibby, whether we had 10 or 11 on the pitch.

The truth is that I am genuinely questioning the 'quality', the 'hunger' and the 'collective capabilities' of this current group of players, or indeed our managers belief in this group of players, and most importantly whether he can inspire them to produce the 'fast-paced-pressing-game' he talks of.

For the sake of my beloved club, indeed Hecks himself, I hope he goes on to dispel my present doubts.

I feel your pain mate, as its all been said before best saying heehaw

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I like how the lack of coffee lets everyone know it’s a serious meeting.
    I just assumed it was a cost saving thing.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greencore View Post
    So, do you actually go to Easter Road?
    We won despite having a goal 4 yards onside ruled out, hitting the post twice, missing two open goals and two one on ones. St Mirren didn’t have any chances as good as any of them.

It wasn’t a performance that will live long in the memory but we deserved to win last week and deserved to win by more than we did.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Getting our players in early was a real benefit for us yesterday, and saved us from a real beating.

We've signed sheite, we are slow all over the park and have a manager who talks a good game without having the ability to produce one, welcome to the usual crap we get most years under another useless manager.

At the end of the day he will be judged on his team.

Well this is his team and his signings so far, lack ability and more so effort.

Let’s see what character they have this sat because there is no doubt the pressure is on. If they hides and go into their shell then get rid.

My concern is Heckingbottoms style of play. It’s boring to watch and he will drive fans away. The feel good factor is gone at Easter road now and the grumbles will only get worse.

If yesterday had been a derby match he would have been sacked before now. He has to be given a chance but drastic improvement is needed or he will be out.

I hope yesterday was just a bad day and we move on up 🤞

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Getting our players in early was a real benefit for us yesterday, and saved us from a real beating.

We've signed sheite, we are slow all over the park and have a manager who talks a good game without having the ability to produce one, welcome to the usual crap we get most years under another useless manager.
    Apart from that though you feeling pretty good about the season ahead?

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I like how the lack of coffee lets everyone know it’s a serious meeting.
    Coffee’s for closers.

Stevenson and Gray being back into the team and to 100% will make a big difference. Not saying we’ll turn into world beaters but it’ll massively improve us.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Apart from that though you feeling pretty good about the season ahead?
    I'm just hoping we sign a few players on the last day of the window better than the crap this one has signed and gelled together this good with all the time he's had with them.

Bare in mind i hope they are free transfers, as i wouldnt give him another penny to spend on transfer fee's. £350k on that huddy up front.

I'm just hoping we sign a few players on the last day of the window better than the crap this one has signed and gelled together this good with all the time he's had with them.
    As long as the crap players really want to be here though.

Left by mutual consent!

The worst of it is that only three of his signings were deemed good enough to play and one was taken off at half time. We had an average team last year and we've brought in a batch of average players on top of that.

We desperately needed some star quality brought in this summer and the only one who meets that standard is a player that he didn't even sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    The thing that bothers me is that anyone on here could've limited the damage when Mackie went. Even going 450 to escape with a 2-1 defeat even with McGregor, Hanlon and Whittaker who are all past it.
    We just needed to get to the last 5 or 10 minutes at 2-1, and then hope we’d get the chance to get the ball in to the box and hope something would drop for us.

The way he set up was a joke. Agree on the likes of McGregor, Hanlon and Whittaker. Our ‘senior’ players aren’t what they were. Hanlon is obviously younger but he has been out of form for too long now.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    We just needed to get to the last 5 or 10 minutes at 2-1, and then hope we’d get the chance to get the ball in to the box and hope something would drop for us.

The way he set up was a joke. Agree on the likes of McGregor, Hanlon and Whittaker. Our ‘senior’ players aren’t what they were. Hanlon is obviously younger but he has been out of form for too long now.
    We nearly did. We were still in the game at 2-1 at 73 minutes. After that we conceded and collapsed.

We played 20 mins with ten men trying to get back into it. He could have shut up shop but we wouldn’t have had any chance of getting back into it. He decided to try hang in there and nick a goal instead. Once we conceded the game was over and we collapsed. It happens in football.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Stevenson and Gray being back into the team and to 100% will make a big difference. Not saying we’ll turn into world beaters but it’ll massively improve us.
    I agree but I think the time for us relying on Gray so much has to end. Physically he isn't up to it anymore and it's costing us big time. A more ruthless club might've moved him on and signed 2 fullbacks in the summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greencore View Post
    So, do you actually go to Easter Road?
    Yes, I do.

100%. A fit gray and Stevenson makes a huge difference. We could change our back 4 from yesterday. Gray,Jackson,Porto,Stevenson

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    I agree but I think the time for us relying on Gray so much has to end. Physically he isn't up to it anymore and it's costing us big time. A more ruthless club might've moved him on and signed 2 fullbacks in the summer.

Yes, I do.
    That’s true regarding Gray. If he’s fit he’s one of the best full backs in the league. Problem is how often he’s injured. Fingers crossed he can get a run of games going as he could make the world of difference.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Hecky and Robbie need to get tough with the players

No more Mr Nice guys
    A nice guy is exactly what LD wanted, someone to be all cuddly and friendly with the players after the nasty Lennon shouted at some of them.

One of the most boring managers I can remember, can’t even listen to his interviews.

He’s signed duds on longish term contracts and we will now be stuck with them. Desperately needing Gray and Stevenson back shows no improvement in the signings. Is Vela any better than Bartley/Milligan .... I know who I’d rather have.

Early warning signs came against a poor Celtic team in the cup last year. We barely had a shot on goal and a pathetic way to go out the cup

We nearly did. We were still in the game at 2-1 at 73 minutes. After that we conceded and collapsed.

We played 20 mins with ten men trying to get back into it. He could have shut up shop but we wouldn’t have had any chance of getting back into it. He decided to try hang in there and nick a goal instead. Once we conceded the game was over and we collapsed. It happens in football.
    He got it totally wrong. We never really gave ourselves a chance to get up the pitch because putting on the second striker left us so short further back that we couldn’t get a hold of the ball.

We had an unfit Gray, who was miles off it, a 35 year old Whittaker who was left totally exposed, Vela who was well off it and Mallan who people just run past. We weren’t really hanging on, they were missing chances and it was inevitable they were going to score at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by S4uzee View Post
    One of the most boring managers I can remember, can’t even listen to his interviews.

He’s signed duds on longish term contracts and we will now be stuck with them. Desperately needing Gray and Stevenson back shows no improvement in the signings. Is Vela any better than Bartley/Milligan .... I know who I’d rather have.

Early warning signs came against a poor Celtic team in the cup last year. We barely had a shot on goal and a pathetic way to go out the cup
    A poor Celtic team? They were on their way to winning the treble treble!

We weren’t great that day but in no way could that Celtic side be labelled a poor one.

Quote Originally Posted by WhileTheChief.. View Post
    A nice guy is exactly what LD wanted, someone to be all cuddly and friendly with the players after the nasty Lennon shouted at some of them.
    Lennon bullied some of them, big difference

That’s true regarding Gray. If he’s fit he’s one of the best full backs in the league. Problem is how often he’s injured. Fingers crossed he can get a run of games going as he could make the world of difference.
    I honestly think if he can't get fit and stay fit this season he shouldn't be relied on any longer, long contract or not.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    A poor Celtic team? They were on their way to winning the treble treble!

We weren’t great that day but in no way could that Celtic side be labelled a poor one.
    Anything for a shot at Hecky. If Hibs had half of those players it would be the best Hibs side in 70 years. Nothing like a poor Celtic team.

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    I’m angrier about the result this morning than I was last night.

Matty’s ‘Heckingbottom’s Malmo’ has captured it.

When have we ever held on to see a manager ‘turn it around’ in terms of a huge improvement in the style of play?

He’s not the man for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Anything for a shot at Hecky. If Hibs had half of those players it would be the best Hibs side in 70 years. Nothing like a poor Celtic team.
    Yeah, I’ve had my fair share of pops at Heckingbottom and his new signings since yesterday afternoon so I don’t want to sound like a hypocrite but imo too many people are looking at it in a black and white context, either Hecky good or Hecky bad.

The truth imo is that he did some things excellently last season and did a very good job for us, why try and deny that? I think he’s had a ‘mare of a transfer window though and if he genuinely thinks we’re done he’s living on a different planet. I also think he’s really toiling to know what to do up against the better sides, he’s being shown up badly in these games. He’s not going to lose his job any time soon so he will get time to rectify these things, whether he will though I’ve got my doubts.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post

When have we ever held on to see a manager ‘turn it around’ in terms of a huge improvement in the style of play?

I've woke up this morning the opposite.

Time to clear the head and get behind the manager and the players. Week 2 in the league, I will reserve calling for his head until after the first round of fixtures are bye with.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post

No you aren't.

Worst thing about yesterday, for me, is that it wasn’t totally unexpected. I maybe didn’t expect it to be quite as bad, but I thought they’d run over the top of us and beat us comfortably.

Heckingbottom talking publicly about how we were going to play, then signing players who don’t seem to suit that style in the slightest is just bizarre.

That team & display show how out his depth PH is.

Going to Ibrox with a midfield 3 of Allan, Mallan & Vela.

Even a midfield 5 adding in Newell + Horgan.

Then the subs he made...

Clueless to say the least