hibs.net Messageboard

Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Heckingbottom

Also we have never been a constant top six and challenging for Europe team. Maybe we got used to some lovely football with Dylan,Scotty and sjm but I'm sure we knew that was a once in a generation midfield. If we don't give Hecky time the revolving door of managers will spin again. Do we really want this. Seems loads do. I only hope we accepts the consequences

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Flo should have done better than hitting the post. But the simple pass from Doidge wasn't great at all. It was a weird wee bobbly number instead of across the deck.

I actually think Doidge was fine yesterday though. Won a lot of flick ons and does a good amount of running, closing down and finds himself in good attaching positions.

The shot from Flo that hit the post took a nick off the defender onto the post, nothing much more Flo could've done.

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    The shot from Flo that hit the post took a nick off the defender onto the post, nothing much more Flo could've done.
    Flo did very well with what was a pretty poor pass - a horrible, bobbly shot to hit.

Left by mutual consent!
    We are painfully slow all over the pitch. O'H beat Gray for fun out left and Saints could have done better with his crosses. We were dreadful and our recent signing are not up to scratch. We need pace in the team and a new manager that does not try to defend a one goal lead with 30 minutes to go. IMHO Hecky can get behind the wheel and drive back to England, the sooner the better.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/...nters-19006936

6/1 for Heckingbottom to be the first manager to be sacked.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by FitbaFolkKen View Post
    We had a solid end to last year, just support the team and the players and if we don’t succeed then so be it. He will get sacked if he underperforms but it isn’t in our interests to drag him down it is in our interests to support the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Great post mate. Totally agree

Expectation and entitlement levels amongst our support have gone through the roof.

He needs to be given time to get the newcomers settled in and then decide his best team.

After all even Sir Alex struggled for the first season and a half at Man U. Not for a minute comparing him to SAF but the negativity spread on social media and forums spreads like cancer.

He was partially correct about this feeling spreading onto the pitch.

Several players and opposing managers have acknowledged over the years that the mood of the home crowd at ER can have a negative effect on the team and boost opponents.

Not sure how anybody can think booing the team and being on their backs during a game helps.

Yep I get frustration but FFS he is right when he says we should back the team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mjhibby View Post
    Also we have never been a constant top six and challenging for Europe team. Maybe we got used to some lovely football with Dylan,Scotty and sjm but I'm sure we knew that was a once in a generation midfield. If we don't give Hecky time the revolving door of managers will spin again. Do we really want this. Seems loads do. I only hope we accepts the consequences
    Your line is defeatist. We've never been so what? We never will be? We started from a good place when we brought Hecky in. We had the players for him to drive into the top six. When you start from a good place and invest money - which we have done - then you don't expect to go backwards.

Our problem isn't what type of team we are historically. It isn't that the manager hasn't been allowed to bring his own players in. We have invested in a duff manager who has signed duds. That is the problem.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by FitbaFolkKen View Post
    Aye it was pretty awesome when Fenlon left us in 5th and we replaced him with Butcher. I bet Butcher booed the loudest in the interview and showed he wanted it the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    you are right he probably happy clapped like a seal.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    Your line is defeatist. We've never been so what? We never will be? We started from a good place when we brought Hecky in. We had the players for him to drive into the top six. When you start from a good place and invest money - which we have done - then you don't expect to go backwards.

Our problem isn't what type of team we are historically. It isn't that the manager hasn't been allowed to bring his own players in. We have invested in a duff manager who has signed duds. That is the problem.
    Exactly 👍

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    In fairness, he did.

We started the 2nd half very badly, had the enforced injury change then he used up his last 2 subs on 62 minutes in an attempt to stem the tide. We were being over-run in midfield and Scott Allan was a bit lost on the right.

I don't think the changes he made were the right ones but he was trying to shore it up a bit and make it a bit harder to play through us. It didn't work and the pattern of play before the changes was exactly the same as after them.

By then he'd made all his subs and whether he saw the goal coming or not, I don't know what more he could have done with his subs made.

Put it this way though - everyone in the ground saw the goal coming so I'd be amazed if he didn't.
    For me the subs made things worse, mainly because when Doidge came off we lost his aerial presence in the last 3rd of the pitch where he had been winning most headers. From then on, every time a Hibs defender lumped it up the park the St J central defenders faced no challenge and were able to spray the ball about with ease. It heaped more and more pressure on us.

Fans aren't daft. They could see the substitutions were ludicrous and that's why there was the reaction there was.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    In fairness, he did.

We started the 2nd half very badly, had the enforced injury change then he used up his last 2 subs on 62 minutes in an attempt to stem the tide. We were being over-run in midfield and Scott Allan was a bit lost on the right.

I don't think the changes he made were the right ones but he was trying to shore it up a bit and make it a bit harder to play through us. It didn't work and the pattern of play before the changes was exactly the same as after them.

By then he'd made all his subs and whether he saw the goal coming or not, I don't know what more he could have done with his subs made.

Put it this way though - everyone in the ground saw the goal coming so I'd be amazed if he didn't.
    I agree with the bit in bold.

Part of the issue for me is that he started with a team that a lot of people would have suspected would be easy to play through as a midfield of Allan and Mallan playing up the park and out wide with Vela holding the middle just isn't right.

The formation (a 4-1-2-3 presumably?) doesn't work.
    I suspect it wouldn't work in the league full stop but certainly not with the players we've got.

I suspect a lot of managers are going to go with 2 or 3 combative midfielders against Hibs and find themselves on the front foot a lot due to our midfield not being there to take the ball off them.

Quote Originally Posted by The Leith Dutch View Post
    I agree with the bit in bold.

Part of the issue for me is that he started with a team that a lot of people would have suspected would be easy to play through as a midfield of Allan and Mallan playing up the park and out wide with Vela holding the middle just isn't right.

The formation (a 4-1-2-3 presumably?) doesn't work.
    I suspect it wouldn't work in the league full stop but certainly not with the players we've got.

I suspect a lot of managers are going to go with 2 or 3 combative midfielders against Hibs and find themselves on the front foot a lot due to our midfield not being there to take the ball off them.

That system will work but the 2 wider attacking players need to drop back and help out more, Middleton and Horgan were poor defensively, we miss Boyle's energy up and down the right wing, he does a power of work.

We still got overrun in the middle even after the changes, the balance of the players just wasn't right. Neither Mallan or Slivka can tackle and Vela is still miles behind fitness wise.

Quote Originally Posted by #2 Double Tap View Post
    Thats the typa message which was given out when fenlon was in charge,

its the guys who boo that want to win the most. The doom and gloomers are the real fans, their daily mood coincides with the fortunes of the team. They are the guys who the club should and need to be listening too, not the happy clapping, Oh it is just a game of football brigade.
    So people who didn't boo aren't real fans?

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post

You're saying mjhibby's line is defeatist and then go on to say the new players are duds after they've only played a handful of games. That sounds pretty defeatist to me.

You've stated we were in a good place when Hecky came in. We were on a bad run of results, so what is it that makes up the good place we were in? Your next sentence mentions we had the players for him to drive into the top 6 so if that is what makes up the good place, those players had us in 8th place after 25 games. I don't think it is fair to say we've gone backwards since Heckingbottom came in. Though I'm open to you convincing me we were in a good place on 12th Feb.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    So people who didn't boo aren't real fans?

The people who did not boo, do not want to win as much as the people who chose to do so, imo.

'Real fans' was a poor choice of words from me but I do think the people who want the club to advance
    and prosper the most, tend not to be of the happy clapping variety, because those types are content with
    any old *****.
    Last edited by #2 Double Tap; 27-08-2019 at 07:17 AM.

The people who did not boo, do not want to win as much as the people who chose to do so, imo.

'Real fans' was a poor choice of words from me but I do think the people who want the club to advance
    and prosper the most, tend not to be of the happy clapping variety, because those types are content with
    any old *****.
    Booing does absolutely nothing but dunt the players confidence further. We all saw it on Saturday. Roaring them on probably would have helped see us over the line imo. Calling ourselves supporters then booing doesn't make sense
    Last edited by Since452; 27-08-2019 at 07:33 AM.

Boo more than 50% of us where booing. That was torcher on Saturday I am yet to see a performance.

What a load of tosh let the players bed in
    he does not know his best team

he is a professional person in a role he should be able to carry out.

Sport is up and down levels change week on week. My issue is I don't see a coach who gets the best out his players or set up.

Let me highlight a simple job for a coach. Throw Ins, the set up and execution of them is NIL. If he cant get players to do deal with a throw in we have no chance.

for me this is the same style as Butcher its horrendous to watch.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Booing does absolutely nothing but dunt the players confidence further. We all saw it on Saturday. Roaring them on probably would have helped see us over the line imo. Calling ourselves supporters then booing doesn't make sense
    Would it? St Johnstone were all over us before the Allan sub. I doubt a wee bit of cheering from the stands would’ve stemmed the tide.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Would it? St Johnstone were all over us before the Allan sub. I doubt a wee bit of cheering from the stands would’ve stemmed the tide.
    Exactly. We were shocking after around 30 minutes in and i dont know why people want to rewrite history to have a go at the hibs support. But i suppose thats the cool thing to do just now on here and facebook groups.

First Team Regular
    seeing with your own eyes crap performances and the like, and saying or doing nothing to show displeasure is what doesnt make sense to me.

Left by mutual consent!
    Its almost countless the games I have been at when support has been fantastic but we have been beaten and that can go for games when maybe support hasnt been as loud and we have won. It is really as simple as we were not playing well enough. Read Jacksons comments about the crowd. As much as we like to think i really do not think we have as much influence at a match as we like to think.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    Its almost countless the games I have been at when support has been fantastic but we have been beaten and that can go for games when maybe support hasnt been as loud and we have won. It is really as simple as we were not playing well enough. Read Jacksons comments about the crowd. As much as we like to think i really do not think we have as much influence at a match as we like to think.
    Being constantly targetted for abuse by fans can destroy individual players self confidence. Joe Tortolano was a perfect example of this and numerous former team mates have spoken angrily about the abuse he got and how it affected him.

Supporters will often pat themselves on the back for being 'tremendous' at a given match - normally after a good result. Often this is also acknowledged in post match player & manager interviews.

If we accept this as true then it would be stupid to think that booing and abuse don't also have an affect.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Being constantly targetted for abuse by fans can destroy individual players self confidence. Joe Tortolano was a perfect example of this and numerous former team mates have spoken angrily about the abuse he got and how it affected him.

Supporters will often pat themselves on the back for being 'tremendous' at a given match - normally after a good result. Often this is also acknowledged in post match player & manager interviews.

If we accept this as true then it would be stupid to think that booing and abuse don't also have an affect.
    I agree. More recently than Tortolano, Lewis Stevenson received dogs abuse from sections of our support for a good few years. Fortunately, he is strong enough mentally to deal with that.

Booing can only be detrimental to the team. The only positive is that it allows the individual who is doing the booing some release.

However, it seems to me that the recent booing has been as a result of the poor performances, not the cause of them.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I agree. More recently than Tortolano, Lewis Stevenson received dogs abuse from sections of our support for a good few years. Fortunately, he is strong enough mentally to deal with that.

Booing can only be detrimental to the team. The only positive is that it allows the individual who is doing the booing some release.

However, it seems to me that the recent booing has been as a result of the poor performances, not the cause of them.
    I'm with you on that.

any old *****.
    😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Not one individual player is getting targeted by supporters, any booing or negativity is being shown towards either the manager of the team as a whole, who are not performing as they should. Stop trying to blame the fans for the pi sh on show, we've been poor since the friendlies, through the League cup games and onto the League games, yes we've won a few games but scraping past Stirling, extra time against Morton and humiliation against Rangers has got the fans on their backs early doors and nothing looks like improving very soon.

We've also not seen his high tempo, high pressing football and the players are all looking very unfit with little to no pace in the 11 players.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Exactly. We were shocking after around 30 minutes in and i dont know why people want to rewrite history to have a go at the hibs support. But i suppose thats the cool thing to do just now on here and facebook groups.
    Have you read the facebook groups? 99% of the punters on them are cutting the manager no slack whatsoever and there are barely any posts slating those who booed. Summing up the real "cool thing to do" seems to be to offer no support to the manager whatsoever.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Not one individual player is getting targeted by supporters, any booing or negativity is being shown towards either the manager of the team as a whole, who are not performing as they should. Stop trying to blame the fans for the pi sh on show, we've been poor since the friendlies, through the League cup games and onto the League games, yes we've won a few games but scraping past Stirling, extra time against Morton and humiliation against Rangers has got the fans on their backs early doors and nothing looks like improving very soon.

We've also not seen his high tempo, high pressing football and the players are all looking very unfit with little to no pace in the 11 players.
    The fans were on the clubs back for deservedly winning against St Mirren as well as some of the league cup games we won. Let’s not make out like it’s only been they 3 games they’ve been given stick for.

Like it or not, NOTHING positive can come out of the reaction from the fans on Saturday. The players and staff take the vast majority of blame for what goes on on the pitch, but there’s no way it can be argued that the reaction from the fans while 1-0 up on Saturday could only have been detrimental go the team. And it wasn’t just that the subs were booed, the atmosphere became poisonous for the rest of the game at that point.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 27-08-2019 at 08:36 AM.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar

I'm pretty sure even the fans who boo individual players, if you asked them in the cold light of day, would admit it does nothing to help the player being targetted.

I did boo on Saturday, only at the Allan substitution and make no apologies for it. I was booing the manager and his decision, not the players going off or coming on and it seemed pretty obvious to me anyway that's why others were booing at that point.