hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Pathetic

Quote Originally Posted by ThatDayInMay View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hibs performance today is not a surprise to me nor should it be to the majority of fans who have had concerns over the managers signings and tactics.

But it seems that anyone with even an ounce of ‘negativity’ or that was going against the grain was instantly shot down in previous weeks ‘It’s just Pre-Season’ ‘The new signings need time to bed in’ excuses that don’t cut it anymore.

Hibs have evidently gone backwards since the Scottish Cup win, and the championship side of that season would wipe the floor with this one made up of bang average lower English league players.

Of course it wasn’t going to be straightforward to replace what was arguably the best midfield in Scotland with (McGinn, McGeoch & Allan).

Heckingbottom turned down the chance to resign McGeoch. For what? The likes of Joe Newell?

Heckingbottom has categorically, underestimated the standard of Scottish Football. We downed tools towards the end of last season, having missed out on Europe, and it’s carried into this season.

Where is the high press he spoke of? And his idea that he would take players to fitness levels they’ve never reached before? Forgive me if I’m wrong but I’m yet too see it.

I have backed him since he came in the door but If he’s genuinely happy with our squad going into the season then he’s a bigger fool than we all think.

We must genuinely have the slowest defence in the league. Although I can’t fault Whittaker’s performances so far this campaign, generally teams pushing for European football don’t have 35 year old full backs.

Sadly I think this is normality returning. Our last two managers were a high-water mark in terms of how they viewed Rangers. Stubbs and Lennon would've both rather died than gone down like that, 6-1 at Ibrox. We're now back to having managers who go there with a negative mindset, ah well ��.

I understand that a number of you won’t agree with me but football is about opinions. I hope I am wrong, I really do, but it’s going to be a long old season.
    Well said

I think we can all do a degree of negativity, we're Hibs fans after all. It's the overly negative views from experts who write off players after only a few minutes on the pitch that I struggle to understand. However, with hindsight, maybe they are better judges of players than I am.

I have had my doubts that Hecky was going down the same route as Fenlon in buying players he knew or was aware of whilst he managed clubs in an environment that was quite a bit different from the SPFL. Fenlon brought in a number of players who were nearly men, but generally not good enough to compete in Scotland. And I fear that Hecky has done the same with us.

I agree with your comment about our previous two managers being the high-water mark in how we viewed The Rangers and other leading Scottish clubs. You always felt confident when a Stubbs or a Lennon team played The Rangers and the other leading Scottish clubs. Now, I fear these games.

I wonder what Lewis Stevenson is thinking right now. He's seen it all before and he must be thinking that the good days from the last three years are now about to become a distant memory.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Hibs performance today is not a surprise to me nor should it be to the majority of fans who have had concerns over the managers signings and tactics.

But it seems that anyone with even an ounce of ‘negativity’ or that was going against the grain was instantly shot down in previous weeks ‘It’s just Pre-Season’ ‘The new signings need time to bed in’ excuses that don’t cut it anymore.

Hibs have evidently gone backwards since the Scottish Cup win, and the championship side of that season would wipe the floor with this one made up of bang average lower English league players.

Of course it wasn’t going to be straightforward to replace what was arguably the best midfield in Scotland with (McGinn, McGeoch & Allan).

Heckingbottom turned down the chance to resign McGeoch. For what? The likes of Joe Newell?

Heckingbottom has categorically, underestimated the standard of Scottish Football. We downed tools towards the end of last season, having missed out on Europe, and it’s carried into this season.

Where is the high press he spoke of? And his idea that he would take players to fitness levels they’ve never reached before? Forgive me if I’m wrong but I’m yet too see it.

I have backed him since he came in the door but If he’s genuinely happy with our squad going into the season then he’s a bigger fool than we all think.

We must genuinely have the slowest defence in the league. Although I can’t fault Whittaker’s performances so far this campaign, generally teams pushing for European football don’t have 35 year old full backs.

Sadly I think this is normality returning. Our last two managers were a high-water mark in terms of how they viewed Rangers. Stubbs and Lennon would've both rather died than gone down like that, 6-1 at Ibrox. We're now back to having managers who go there with a negative mindset, ah well 🙃.

I understand that a number of you won’t agree with me but football is about opinions. I hope I am wrong, I really do, but it’s going to be a long old season.
    Good point about the side of a couple of years ago. We’ve really went backwards since then. But I never thought we’d get thumped 6-1 by anyone.

Manager and players need to take responsibility. No professional team should down tools like we did in the second half. I’d give my right arm to pull on a hibs strip. They’re a shower of ****ers

Sadly I think this is normality returning. Our last two managers were a high-water mark in terms of how they viewed Rangers. Stubbs and Lennon would've both rather died than gone down like that, 6-1 at Ibrox. We're now back to having managers who go there with a negative mindset, ah well 🙃.

Great post.

Testimonial Due The Harp Awakes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoalsMcGinley View Post
    Are we allowed to criticise yet? That was absolutely woeful. Worst Hibernian performance at Ibrox since about 1995. No heart, no fight, no pride, no desire. Manager has HUGE question marks over him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The warning signs over Heck's tactics and inability to get players inspired for big games were there last season too. 3 games in particular; the Celtic SC tie at ER, the 1st 45 v Rangers at ER in the league and the trouncing at Killie were 3 of the most woeful, unispiring, lazy performances from Hibs since the Butcher relegation season. We were actually awful for the first part of the game at Tynie as well, before Horgan turned it around.

Hecky got away with it because of a run of decent results against the smaller teams. Today is a total embarrassment. There's no other way of describing it. The Manager and players bottled it and rather than the new signings coming in and improving the team, they seem to have weakened us. It's early days but in the main they look like they are out of their depth.

Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    The warning signs over Heck's tactics and inability to get players inspired for big games were there last season too. 3 games in particular; the Celtic SC tie at ER, the 1st 45 v Rangers at ER in the league and the trouncing at Killie were 3 of the most woeful, unispiring, lazy performances from Hibs since the Butcher relegation season. We were actually awful for the first part of the game at Tynie as well, before Horgan turned it around.

Hecky got away with it because of a run of decent results against the smaller teams. Today is a total embarrassment. There's no other way of describing it. The Manager and players bottled it and rather than the new signings coming in and improving the team, they seem to have weakened us. It's early days but in the main they look like they are out of their depth.
    The bits in bold in particular.

@hibs.net private member LancsHibs's Avatar
    That result is a disgrace and an embarrassment. We’ve appointed a English lower division manager and he’s filled the team with English lower division players. Worrying times.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LancsHibs View Post
    That result is a disgrace and an embarrassment. We’ve appointed a English lower division manager and he’s filled the team with English lower division players. Worrying times.
    Just like we did with Jim Duffy and he brought all his mates from Dundee and turned us into a good Championship side

Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    As I said on another thread, losing 6-1 is bad enough. But the scoreline flattered us, and that is the most embarrassing aspect of today.

@hibs.net private member hibbie02's Avatar
    Precisely! Where is our much vaunted recruitment team? Even in the last few seasons, we have had a scattering of players from across Europe. Admittedly, we have had a lot of duds, but at least is showed we were looking over a wide spectrum. This season we have got in a load of low grade, low league players from down south. No one is going to convince me these guys were on our radar before Hecky turned up. He knows all these players and they are probably in his English League Fantasy Team. Unfortunately, that is the level he thinks we are at and we are suffering for that.

I complained weeks ago about the level we looked at and got told to shut it until we had a few games under out belt. Today is judgement day. We are Tam Kite. Too many people were prepared to put the green tinted glasses on and anyone who was not enthused was trashed. We are worse then we were 5 years ago. We are worse than 3 years ago and worse than 1 year ago.

Where were the signings to get us excited, enthused and emotional? This is the worst side we have had since relegation and it was obvious weeks ago! Hecky talks the talk and delivers nothing. Pressing game, fit, athletic players, no long ball, no more signings, we are good to go! Sorry that is all bollocks!

Only 3 of his signings started today from English leagues. People were walking round with a semi about Vela signing.....

Absolute embarrassing result, Rangers wanted it more, looked fitter and technically superior.

Hanlon was at fault for 2 goals, McGregor is slower than a week in saughton. Mackie just isn’t good enough.

Should have started with 2 upfront as Doidge is never a lone striker

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Only 3 of his signings started today from English leagues. People were walking round with a semi about Vela signing.....

Absolute embarrassing result, Rangers wanted it more, looked fitter and technically superior.

Hanlon was at fault for 2 goals, McGregor is slower than a week in saughton. Mackie just isn’t good enough.

Should have started with 2 upfront as Doidge is never a lone striker
    You are correct he isn't which makes his signing all the more bizarre given Heckinbottom's preference for playing with a lone striker. However we don't have the midfield to allow us to play 2 up front against the better sides.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbie02 View Post
    Precisely! Where is our much vaunted recruitment team? Even in the last few seasons, we have had a scattering of players from across Europe. Admittedly, we have had a lot of duds, but at least is showed we were looking over a wide spectrum. This season we have got in a load of low grade, low league players from down south. No one is going to convince me these guys were on our radar before Hecky turned up. He knows all these players and they are probably in his English League Fantasy Team. Unfortunately, that is the level he thinks we are at and we are suffering for that.

I complained weeks ago about the level we looked at and got told to shut it until we had a few games under out belt. Today is judgement day. We are Tam Kite. Too many people were prepared to put the green tinted glasses on and anyone who was not enthused was trashed. We are worse then we were 5 years ago. We are worse than 3 years ago and worse than 1 year ago.

Where were the signings to get us excited, enthused and emotional? This is the worst side we have had since relegation and it was obvious weeks ago! Hecky talks the talk and delivers nothing. Pressing game, fit, athletic players, no long ball, no more signings, we are good to go! Sorry that is all bollocks!
    All of this. Spot on.

These guys are hecky’s signings. 100% his. There’s not a chance in hell we would’ve signed a RB from a team who got relegated to the Sunday Amateur leagues in England if he wasn’t in charge.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoalsMcGinley View Post
    These guys are hecky’s signings. 100% his. There’s not a chance in hell we would’ve signed a RB from a team who got relegated to the Sunday Amateur leagues in England if he wasn’t in charge.

You seen the game yesterday? Most of the goals came from mistakes and just general crap play from guys who are supposed to be our senior players and were not his signings

the mild mannered janitor Last Minute's Avatar

Spot on but some hibs fans still think its ok cos rangers are a good side and others will get beat by the same

@hibs.net private member hibeerealist's Avatar

Spot on

Watching the goals yesterday Marciano certainly could have done better with the 1st and 4th and possibly even the 5th.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    Well said

I think we can all do a degree of negativity, we're Hibs fans after all. It's the overly negative views from experts who write off players after only a few minutes on the pitch that I struggle to understand. However, with hindsight, maybe they are better judges of players than I am.

I have had my doubts that Hecky was going down the same route as Fenlon in buying players he knew or was aware of whilst he managed clubs in an environment that was quite a bit different from the SPFL. Fenlon brought in a number of players who were nearly men, but generally not good enough to compete in Scotland. And I fear that Hecky has done the same with us.

I agree with your comment about our previous two managers being the high-water mark in how we viewed The Rangers and other leading Scottish clubs. You always felt confident when a Stubbs or a Lennon team played The Rangers and the other leading Scottish clubs. Now, I fear these games.

I wonder what Lewis Stevenson is thinking right now. He's seen it all before and he must be thinking that the good days from the last three years are now about to become a distant memory.
    Stubbs and Lennon both played for Celtic. They knew what it took to beat them plus had an insight into their mentality.

@hibs.net private member hibbie02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzling Doidge View Post
    Watching the goals yesterday Marciano certainly could have done better with the 1st and 4th and possibly even the 5th.
    I think Marciano is the least of our worries...

I think Marciano is the least of our worries...
    Totally agree, just something I noticed.

Your username must be the best Oxymoron I've ever seen EVER!

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar

The first goal was a good save and Defoe runs in unchallenged while Hanlon and co do their best impression of a statue with their arm in the air claiming offside.

4th and 5th were low and hard shots but he was left hopelessly exposed by the lack of defenders.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    The first goal was a good save and Defoe runs in unchallenged while Hanlon and co do their best impression of a statue with their arm in the air claiming offside.

4th and 5th were low and hard shots but he was left hopelessly exposed by the lack of defenders.
    It looked odd at the time, and having seen it back now, I think Marciano is to blame for the first goal. I don’t know what he was doing or where he was positionally, but he dived to save it despite it being nowhere near the corner. Unquestionably to blame for the fourth.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post

The 1st should have been cleared out wide though, not back into the path of the players, he had a good game though and was probably our best player which is crazy considering we got a doing

Older player has bad game = past it

Hibs.net classic right there.

I guess its maybe too logical to suggest the player is just having a bad patch of form or a bad game or doesn't suit our set-up.

If people think our defence is struggling purely because of the 4 guys playing in it they are desperately far off the mark. Defending is a team sport.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    aye very good, Rocky saved us from equalling/.surpassing our heaviest ever League defeat... 10-0 in 1898 v the original ra ngers

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    It looked odd at the time, and having seen it back now, I think Marciano is to blame for the first goal. I don’t know what he was doing or where he was positionally, but he dived to save it despite it being nowhere near the corner. Unquestionably to blame for the fourth.

The 1st, he never seen it until late. Defoe unchallenged though.

The 2nd, whitty gets done with a meg by Jones and WTF are Halon McGregor doinggoing for the same ball forcing Mackie to try and cover.??

The 3rd is a good cross taking Rocky out the game.

The 4th is Velas fault but Hanlon sells himself and gets humiliated with a meg, Rocky is poor at his near post though.

The 5th Morellos is surely offside?? Nothing the keeper can do.

The 6th is one of those goals when its not your day.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

@hibs.net private member
    The thread title says it all - getting beat by ANYONE 6-1 IS pathetic and the fact it was one of our oldest most bitter rivals just makes it all the more painful. Yes Rangers are a good side right now but there is simply no excuse for this kind of humping.

A few have leapt to the manager's defence stating that many of the goals came from errors from our senior players - but the truth is that we were drubbed as a TEAM - Hecky's team. The tactics - as they were last season against the OF - were all wrong. Sitting back and inviting them onto you is inviting a thrashing and that's exactly what we did and what we got.

The signings (barring Allan who was signed before Heck arrived) have been mediocre. Which is to say NOT GOOD ENOUGH. We needed players signed who would be certain starters - who would RAISE the bar rather than let it drop. That has not happened on current evidence and I worry about the season ahead. I sincerely hope that Heck was playing manager's mind games when he stated that our transfer business was over - we desperately need an injection of quality.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by basehibby View Post
    The thread title says it all - getting beat by ANYONE 6-1 IS pathetic and the fact it was one of our oldest most bitter rivals just makes it all the more painful. Yes Rangers are a good side right now but there is simply no excuse for this kind of humping.

A few have leapt to the manager's defence stating that many of the goals came from errors from our senior players - but the truth is that we were drubbed as a TEAM - Hecky's team. The tactics - as they were last season against the OF - were all wrong. Sitting back and inviting them onto you is inviting a thrashing and that's exactly what we did and what we got.

The signings (barring Allan who was signed before Heck arrived) have been mediocre. Which is to say NOT GOOD ENOUGH. We needed players signed who would be certain starters - who would RAISE the bar rather than let it drop. That has not happened on current evidence and I worry about the season ahead. I sincerely hope that Heck was playing manager's mind games when he stated that our transfer business was over - we desperately need an injection of quality.
    I would agree with most of that except "oldest most bitter rivals' they haven't been going that long as a club to be in the oldest category 😊