hibs.net Messageboard

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Tierney

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silversand View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Scotsman John McGovern - twice European Cup winning captain for Notts Forest won zero caps for Scotland

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    For me, McGovern is the obvious example. I also think of Souness who didn’t get played in the 78 World Cup until the last group game. Hansen was covered on another thread, as was Hegarty. Up top, we were spoiled for choice for years during those three World Cups between 78 and 86. Curiously we never made any real impact in the European Championships.

Eric Black and Peter Weir got a handful of caps and John Hewitt was never capped at all despite being the attack in an Aberdeen side that won a European trophy, domestic titles and cups and played some scintillating stuff. I guess at that time, playing in England was still seen as the be all and end all. If I was being cynical I would also wonder whether the SFA at that time had senior people who were embarrassed that the majority of Scotland-based players who were good enough were from the New Firm rather than the Old Firm. But that is maybe too cynical.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    They are very different roles.

How many wingers can play fullback well? Would you be happy with Daryl Horgan playing left or right back next season? Its the same the other way. Would you play Gray or McGinn right wing?
    There have been many players over the years who have dropped back to play full back from further forward, and many full backs who have played like wingers going forward.

I'd not have Horgan in the team in any position, nor would i like either Gray or McGinn in at right back either.

I'm surprised at the comparison between Robertson and any player we have, nevermind players so inferior as the ones mentioned above, who clearly struggle in one position.

Robertson is a great player, and i believe is capable of adapting in a role further forward, especially having someone as good behind him.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    What aboot the baw for Aubamayang

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    What aboot the baw for Aubamayang
    Sublime.

Has he? Genuine question. Was it at Celtic?
    After the restart he played in front of Koleasinac in a flat four, then wide in a 3-4-3 IIRC. Don't know about Celtc, I'm afraid.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    After the restart he played in front of Koleasinac in a flat four, then wide in a 3-4-3 IIRC. Don't know about Celtc, I'm afraid.
    Bit of a stretch to call that midfield. Always been left wing back in the games I've seen. Kolasinac is the left of the centre backs.

Bit of a stretch to call that midfield. Always been left wing back in the games I've seen. Kolasinac is the left of the centre backs.
    Depends how you read it i guess. At the start there was a definite flat four at times with Kierney out wide in LM. And with the 3-4-3 he was being pushed higher up the pitch, with Xhaka or Torreira dropping back to allow Kolasinac to drift out left to cover if required.

In the modern era I'd say Wing Backs are basically a left midfielder that just needs to work harder in defence than your average winger, they need to have an eye to attack their opposite number and be able to deliver a ball and sometimes even pop up with a goal themselves. I have no doubt in my mind that Robbo or KT could play that left midfield role for Scotland either in front of each or KT in a back 3 other and provide more to the team than some of the dross we've stuck out wide in the past. They'd certainly provide more than if we forced one to play RB

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    In the modern era I'd say Wing Backs are basically a left midfielder that just needs to work harder in defence than your average winger, they need to have an eye to attack their opposite number and be able to deliver a ball and sometimes even pop up with a goal themselves. I have no doubt in my mind that Robbo or KT could play that left midfield role for Scotland either in front of each or KT in a back 3 other and provide more to the team than some of the dross we've stuck out wide in the past. They'd certainly provide more than if we forced one to play RB
    Exactly. 👍👍👍

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Watched a little bit of the Arsenal game, Tierney looks a class act IMO. I’ve never thought his quality was in doubt (although not yet at the level and consistency of Robertson), and at £25m, was a bit of a steal in the previous market. The big question mark is about whether he can stay fit or not.
    Now that Tierney looks to be putting an injury free run together he looks to be getting better and better. I think he’s approaching Robertson levels of performance IMO, although he’ll need to do it over a good few seasons before he can be compared directly with him IMO.

I think Clarke has to build the Scotland team in a way to get Robertson at wingback and almost allow Tierney a free role as a kind of box to box centreback for us to take advantage of two genuine world class talents.

£25m is a steal. Especially when you consider Man U paid £50m for Bissaka, who’s decent enough IMO. Wonder how much Tierney would have cost if he was English and came from an English club.
    Last edited by The Modfather; 10-01-2021 at 08:19 AM.

A lot of calls for Tierney to be made Arsenal captain.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Looking like £25m was a bargain for arsenal, not at Robertson level yet I don't think but not far off. If he was to be sold you would be looking at selling for at least double that fee

There is no doubt that Robertson has been outstanding for Liverpool over the last three seasons. However he has been playing in a team that Klopp built to play a certain style over a number of years and that has come to fruition with Robertson's efforts. Tierney is having his first real season in an Arsenal team that has been poor for a while now, changed managers twice, and still looks to be trying to find a team that fits the style Arteta wants to play. When Tierney went to Arsenal I didn't think he would do well as with Celtic in Scotland he was never really tested defensively but he has definitely impressed me so far this season.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Now that Tierney looks to be putting an injury free run together he looks to be getting better and better. I think he’s approaching Robertson levels of performance IMO, although he’ll need to do it over a good few seasons before he can be compared directly with him IMO.

I think Clarke has to build the Scotland team in a way to get Robertson at wingback and almost allow Tierney a free role as a kind of box to box centreback for us to take advantage of two genuine world class talents.

£25m is a steal. Especially when you consider Man U paid £50m for Bissaka, who’s decent enough IMO. Wonder how much Tierney would have cost if he was English and came from an English club.

Typical Scotland that our two best players vie for the same position.

I think you are right though - Tierney on the left of a back 3 and Robertson at LWB is the best system to get both in the team.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    He's becoming a key player for Arsenal. Clearly a talent, it's just his vulnerability to injuries that would worry me.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Always injured apparently, will be back up the road sooner rather than later.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Always injured apparently, will be back up the road sooner rather than later.
    His injury record speaks for itself. Only 23 years old and already been unavailable for nearly a year and a half of his career through numerous different injuries.

It’s in no way a surprise to see you attempting to have a go at me with your post on a thread I haven’t posted on in ages though. Your creepy obsession with me continues. The fact you done it on the previous page of this thread as well just makes you look like an incredibly tragic human being.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 10-01-2021 at 11:20 AM.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    He really looks like a very good athlete as well as a very good player. Impressed by him every time I see him recently. I was one who thought he was over hyped while at cektic but he has come on massively

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    His injury record speaks for itself. Only 23 years old and already been unavailable for nearly a year and a half of his career through numerous different injuries.

It’s in no way a surprise to see you attempting to have a go at me with your post on a thread I haven’t posted on in ages though. Your creepy obsession with me continues. The fact you done it on the previous page of this thread as well just makes you look like an incredibly tragic human being.
    I had a quick read back through this thread...I don’t think you can have any complaints about anything being brought back up now, the thread had been dead for 6 months and you opened it back up in June this year to almost gloat that “you were right he’s a crock” basically.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    I had a quick read back through this thread...I don’t think you can have any complaints about anything being brought back up now, the thread had been dead for 6 months and you opened it back up in June this year to almost gloat that “you were right he’s a crock” basically.
    Trust me, blackpoolhibs obsession with me and my posts runs across more than just one thread.

I brought up the thread again to point out he was injured again - quite relevant to the Tierney thread. Blackpools post is unsurprisingly little about Tierney and much more about trying to have a go at me.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 10-01-2021 at 12:45 PM.

I think he could go anywhere and play for any team and not look out of place. He’s a different player to Robertson but we’ll ahead of where he was at the same age. £25 million is an absolute snip.

Tierney is a very good player. Will be one of the best full backs in the world in 18 months time.

He's had injuries but it's unfair to say he's a crock. He's played 230 games and he's only 23.

Maybe it's to do with how you don't rate Tierney, and you've totally laboured the point, as well as consistently going on about his injuries. Later on in the thread you were slagging off Lyndon Dykes playing for Scotland, you got that one totally wrong as well. People aren't creepy just because they disagree with you, you've made loads of comments on this thread then can't handle it when somebody disagrees with you just as consistently.

If anything think it the case of over playing a young player when there body still physical developing. Remember he made the first team at 17-18 and was first pick all that time with no breaks. Celtic even had him playing injuried when he was needing surgery and a rest.

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    Maybe it's to do with how you don't rate Tierney, and you've totally laboured the point, as well as consistently going on about his injuries. Later on in the thread you were slagging off Lyndon Dykes playing for Scotland, you got that one totally wrong as well. People aren't creepy just because they disagree with you, you've made loads of comments on this thread then can't handle it when somebody disagrees with you just as consistently.
    Could you point out where I said at any point I don’t rate Tierney?

I also never said at any point BH was creepy because he disagrees with me. It’s the following me around the forum and constantly having digs at me - something that has went on for years and been pointed out by god knows how many other members - that is creepy. He’s even had to have a post deleted by an admin on this thread because of it. It’s absolutely tragic and the behaviour of a 15 year old who’s just been dumped by his first bird.

So you can bet your bottom dollar I’ll continue to point it out every time it occurs and it’s nothing to do with not agreeing with my opinion.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 10-01-2021 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Booker5time View Post
    If anything think it the case of over playing a young player when there body still physical developing. Remember he made the first team at 17-18 and was first pick all that time with no breaks. Celtic even had him playing injuried when he was needing surgery and a rest.
    Could well be

Could you point out where I said at any point I don’t rate Tierney?

I also never said at any point BH was creepy because he disagrees with me. It’s the following me around the forum and constantly having digs at me - something that has went on for years and been pointed out by god knows how many other members - that is creepy. He’s even had to have a post deleted by an admin on this thread because of it. It’s absolutely tragic and the behaviour of a 15 year old who’s just been dumped by his first bird.

So you can bet your bottom dollar I’ll continue to point it out every time it occurs and it’s nothing to do with not agreeing with my opinion.
    Couldn't agree more.

A long way off Robertson.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
    A long way off Robertson.
    Robertson hasn’t been great this season from the admittedly limited amount of EPL football I’ve watched. He’s also been pretty average for Scotland.

Tierney isn’t far off imo but more because I feel Robertson hasn’t been up to the standards he had been setting.

Robertson hasn’t been great this season from the admittedly limited amount of EPL football I’ve watched. He’s also been pretty average for Scotland.

Tierney isn’t far off imo but more because I feel Robertson hasn’t been up to the standards he had been setting.
    I think Tierney needs to be doing it regularly over a number of seasons and even producing the stats that Robertson has been doing, as well as winning titles before being put into that bracket. He’s had a few good games against average sides in the PL and his team sit 11th.