hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Tierney

Tierney was outstanding tonight.

Arsenal (and other) fans on Twitter lavishing praise on him.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

It's great to see. Now that he's up and running he's made a huge difference to their defence along with Martinez.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Tierney had a great game today. He’ll prove his worth at Arsenal no probs. Top talent.
    And again.

Coaching Staff

He's a good good player.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    He’s a great player. Not as good as Robertson but few left backs in the world are. Given how poor Scotland’s options are at Centre Half, Steve Clark should look at a back 3 with Tierney on the left side with Robertson as left wing back.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    He’s a great player. Not as good as Robertson but few left backs in the world are. Given how poor Scotland’s options are at Centre Half, Steve Clark should look at a back 3 with Tierney on the left side with Robertson as left wing back.
    I think personally he’s going to be good as Robertson.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Arsenal want to be a CL-qualifying side and ultimately a club side that will win the EPL and the CL itself.

Bit of work to be done with the squad but with Tierney they have a young, and I mean young, player who looks confident and competent at left back, left wing back, left mid, or on the left of a back central three. He is not long back from injury but is showing up as one of the best players in the team.

I think Arsenal played a blinder in signing him and if Tierney stays fit then they have a nailed on talent regardless of how they choose their defensive set—up.

He was great tonight against Man City.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Left by mutual consent!

Totally agree. What an outstanding talent he is. Got a brain too.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    I think personally he’s going to be good as Robertson.
    I have to admit I think he has the potential to be the better left back. Which is mad to say at this point cause Roberston is a very important part of one of the best teams in the world.

But the biggest issue for KT has been his injuries and I don't see Arsenal making the jump squad wise that Liverpool have but as a player I think he has it all for a full back. But I also think he has the better attributes to be a LCB than Robbo too so I'd probably try and find a system they allowed them to both play down the left side of the park and overlap each other, or move KT to LCB to make a back 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    The fact Tierney is now playing on the left of a back 3 at such a high level should mean Clarke will surely be thinking about it. We need to have him and Robertson playing in the same Scotland team; they're simply our best players.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    I have to admit I think he has the potential to be the better left back. Which is mad to say at this point cause Roberston is a very important part of one of the best teams in the world.

But the biggest issue for KT has been his injuries and I don't see Arsenal making the jump squad wise that Liverpool have but as a player I think he has it all for a full back. But I also think he has the better attributes to be a LCB than Robbo too so I'd probably try and find a system they allowed them to both play down the left side of the park and overlap each other, or move KT to LCB to make a back 3.
    Totally agree 👍

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I'm sure he will break down soon, i read that on here so it must be true.

Back up the road in a year or two was another beauty too.

The guys quality, and can fill in at centre back too, although my preference would be left back with Robertson pushed on, it must surely be worth a try?

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    The fact Tierney is now playing on the left of a back 3 at such a high level should mean Clarke will surely be thinking about it. We need to have him and Robertson playing in the same Scotland team; they're simply our best players.

Yup great news as it shows a way for both to play in the same team. Might mean Scotland playing some variation of 3-4-3 to make it work.

@hibs.net private member NorthNorfolkHFC's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: walton83
    Robertson would be fine at left midfield. For Scotland it would be the same role as he does at Liverpool but just less defending.

Our problem is up front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "Putting a damp spoon back in the bowl is the tea-drinking equivalent of sharing a needle!"

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post

The guys quality, and can fill in at centre back too, although my preference would be left back with Robertson pushed on, it must surely be worth a try?
    Left back and left midfield/wing are very different roles. Don't think Robertson would be good there.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Left back and left midfield/wing are very different roles. Don't think Robertson would be good there.
    Well i'm astounded you dont agree.

@hibs.net private member
    He's good, but nowhere near as quality as Robertson.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthNorfolkHFC View Post
    Robertson would be fine at left midfield. For Scotland it would be the same role as he does at Liverpool but just less defending.

Our problem is up front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    At left mid in the Scotland team he'll prob still have to do more defending than he does at left back for Liverpool.

Well i'm astounded you dont agree.
    Sorry what is that supposed to mean?

Why shouldn't I disagree? Are you someone special that cant be disagreed with? Its not like I was at all rude, I just made my point, exactly the same as you did.

@hibs.net private member

Why shouldn't I disagree? Are you someone special that cant be disagreed with? Its not like I was at all rude, I just made my point, exactly the same as you did.

Whoosh

Not at all, is just that i've not seen you disagree with anyone else before, and just found it astounding.

Or of course it might have been a woosh moment as glory hunter said.

Not at all, is just that i've not seen you disagree with anyone else before, and just found it astounding.

Or of course it might have been a woosh moment as glory hunter said.
    Wont waste my time unless you can keep it on topic

@hibs.net private member
    I agree.

@hibs.net private member

Absolutely Robertson could be pushed further up for his country.

Nonsense to suggest otherwise.

Tierney has played in mid a few times, Robertson maybe less so. If they were both comfortable with the roles then we could potentially have the option of switching them in-game to really unsettle defences. We see it all the time up top with forwards swapping left and right. It is probably dependent on four at the back and someone wide left mid though.

Regardless it is a nice problem to have given the paucity of options generally over the last few decades. I think this has been covered on a different thread but in the late seventies into the eighties, we had ridiculous strength in depth across multiple positions. Players barely played for Scotland who in other circumstances would get fifty-plus caps.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member Silversand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    I think this has been covered on a different thread but in the late seventies into the eighties, we had ridiculous strength in depth across multiple positions. Players barely played for Scotland who in other circumstances would get fifty-plus caps.
    Scotsman John McGovern - twice European Cup winning captain for Notts Forest won zero caps for Scotland

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Tierney has played in mid a few times, Robertson maybe less so. If they were both comfortable with the roles then we could potentially have the option of switching them in-game to really unsettle defences. We see it all the time up top with forwards swapping left and right. It is probably dependent on four at the back and someone wide left mid though.

Regardless it is a nice problem to have given the paucity of options generally over the last few decades. I think this has been covered on a different thread but in the late seventies into the eighties, we had ridiculous strength in depth across multiple positions. Players barely played for Scotland who in other circumstances would get fifty-plus caps.
    It appears they are very different roles, and obviously can't be done apparently, even without trying it.

It appears they are very different roles, and obviously can't be done apparently, even without trying it.

I guess it reaffirms the view of many women that men can’t multi-task.

They are very different roles.

How many wingers can play fullback well? Would you be happy with Daryl Horgan playing left or right back next season? Its the same the other way. Would you play Gray or McGinn right wing?

Has he? Genuine question. Was it at Celtic?