hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!

Jim Goodwin's comments about Hibs

Feel free to merge if already discussed, but I coudln't see mention of this on the Sportscene thread. Here's what Goodwin said in his BBC interview:

"They're a very good side. I really like the way Paul has his team playing. They're very attacking minded with some really good pace in the team, they're all comfortable on the ball and I think they'll turn teams over here this year maybe three or four nil."

I wasn't able to go to the game, but according to quite a few on here our performance didn't tally with Goodwin's view. Is it the case that as a manager he can see more than the average punter in terms of what Hecky's trying to do?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    We just don't have really good pace in the team. It was a strange thing to say but nice to hear him complimenting us.

I think we have some good footballers as well. And I think we will be pretty strong at home.

But I’m not sure what pace he is referring to. Certainly not on Saturday.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Feel free to merge if already discussed, but I coudln't see mention of this on the Sportscene thread. Here's what Goodwin said in his BBC interview:

"They're a very good side. I really like the way Paul has his team playing. They're very attacking minded with some really good pace in the team, they're all comfortable on the ball and I think they'll turn teams over here this year maybe three or four nil."

I wasn't able to go to the game, but according to quite a few on here our performance didn't tally with Goodwin's view. Is it the case that as a manager he can see more than the average punter in terms of what Hecky's trying to do?
    Interesting because I met a Newcastle supporter on Saturday who was at the friendly and he thought we lacked pace, passed the ball around nicely but were pedestrian when going forward. Newcastle had beaten St Etienne on Saturday and he is optimistic about their season.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar

I thought we played alright. I’d hope there was more to come but if we won by 2 or 3 I don’t think St Mirren could have complained.

Post twice, two open goals missed, two one on ones missed, a goal chalked off for offside that was miles onside and yet we still won the game.

I think he's being nice that's all. Saturday wasn't a good performance at all and certainly not one where pace was on show.

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Interesting because I met a Newcastle supporter on Saturday who was at the friendly and he thought we lacked pace, passed the ball around nicely but were pedestrian when going forward. Newcastle had beaten St Etienne on Saturday and he is optimistic about their season.
    When you've got that £40 million boy on the pitch, everybody else looks slow and pedestrian! The trouble is when you're making heavy weather of taking down St Mirren, albeit a St Mirren set up to frustrate you and catch you out.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    I think some people were being harsh on us on Saturday, it wasn’t fast flowing football by any means but there were times when we played good football.

Newell, Horgan and Allan all looked pacy at points so I can see where Goodwin is coming from.

We could have scored 4 easily on Saturday (the goal, Kamberi’s ‘offside and the two Doidge missed) so I don’t think he’s far off tbh.

It's impossible to tell this early in the season but I can see where Goodwin is coming from.

I think some of the less positive comments from fans re Saturday's game have been wide of the mark.

St Mirren played really well I thought - were extremely well organised and carried a threat on the break.

We are still gelling as a team and I'm sure there's work to be done on our organisation/formation etc. We did commit a lot of players forward when attacking and it was this that enabled St Mirren to look dangerous on the break. We will have to watch that against better teams.

However - there were quite a number of passages of play in the final third where our passing was quick and accurate (including the goal) and I think we would have cut open most teams in the league with some of those.

Scott Allan was central in most of these passing movements but was not the only one involved. Most of our incisive play came through the centre. If we can get more from our wide players that would definitely help.

Although I'm sure there's a lot to work on for PH I think the fact that we did have that extra bit of quality in the final third that won us the game augurs well for the season ahead.

I agree with the comfortable on the ball part, all of our players have a good touch, get their head up and try to play football.

I don't think we're particularly pacey but you're not normally watching an opposition team that closely and sometimes you'll see a flash of something and extrapolate that into a bigger observation that doesn't exist (ie Horgan looks quicker than his man once or twice = Hibs have good pace in their team).

It's early days for our team but I agree that we might dole out the odd doing. If an early goal had settled us or either of the shots that hit the post had gone in then that might have been more comfortable.

Having said all of that I wasn't hugely impressed by us on Saturday. 3 points though, which is all that matters.

I'd also say that St Mirren were miles better than I was expecting them to be.

Pace isn’t just running fast, it’s the speed in which we shift the ball, the speed of the players getting into space and the speed of good decisions and positioning which are far more important than getting in behind the oppositions defence. We have all of that, just need to see it click now and we will turn teams over fairly regularly at Easter Road.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    I think some people were being harsh on us on Saturday, it wasn’t fast flowing football by any means but there were times when we played good football.

Newell, Horgan and Allan all looked pacy at points so I can see where Goodwin is coming from.

We could have scored 4 easily on Saturday (the goal, Kamberi’s ‘offside and the two Doidge missed) so I don’t think he’s far off tbh.
    We also hit the post twice. Once of them led to the offside goal granted but although it wasn't thrilling, we played the way we need to play against these teams. You can run around all you want but if they create no space at all in their own half you need to display patience and I'm glad that although our support doesn't, our team does and we came away with not just the three points but the fact that if luck and poor refereeing wasn't against us it would have been even more comfortable.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member
    He's being nice.

People's standards must have fell some way if they think we played alright on Saturday. Newell and Horgan would have been as well just leaving the pitch for all they did. They need to up their game as their meant to be two of our attacking players.

@hibs.net private member McSwanky's Avatar
    When you lose, you talk up the opposition. Standard management procedure, especially early in the season. Don't think anyone can read too much into what was said.

Left by mutual consent!
    He’s bigging up his teams performance and giving us a backhanded compliment at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenOnions View Post
    It's impossible to tell this early in the season but I can see where Goodwin is coming from.

I think some of the less positive comments from fans re Saturday's game have been wide of the mark.

St Mirren played really well I thought - were extremely well organised and carried a threat on the break.

We are still gelling as a team and I'm sure there's work to be done on our organisation/formation etc. We did commit a lot of players forward when attacking and it was this that enabled St Mirren to look dangerous on the break. We will have to watch that against better teams.

However - there were quite a number of passages of play in the final third where our passing was quick and accurate (including the goal) and I think we would have cut open most teams in the league with some of those.

Scott Allan was central in most of these passing movements but was not the only one involved. Most of our incisive play came through the centre. If we can get more from our wide players that would definitely help.

Although I'm sure there's a lot to work on for PH I think the fact that we did have that extra bit of quality in the final third that won us the game augurs well for the season ahead.
    100% agree

Some of the interchanges were excellent and even the Doidge lay off for Allan was superb, it had been roles reverse Allan would be getting huge praise. We are a work in progress as all teams are but this myth that we were poor on Saturday is just that imo. Let’s not forget the pish we have watched over the years and the hoofball we played at times even during Lennon. I’d much rather watch is try to play than that any day of the week, yeatvit didn’t always come off but it’s the right approach imo.

@hibs.net private member WhileTheChief..'s Avatar
    So because he says something nice about us some of our fans must be wrong?

If he had slated us we would be calling him all the names under the sun and a no-mark.

Which he is.

We do have pace in the team but we dont always use it. The pedestrian tippy tappy across the back 4 is a tactic dictated by the coach but when we want we can and do move it quickly to playets who can shift going forward. We can even track back at pace too, witness Flo getting all the way back toward the end when young Sean was left stranded out of position after bombing up field.

Goodwin was being gracious in defeat but not dishonest.

Quote Originally Posted by SMAXXA View Post
    100% agree

Some of the interchanges were excellent and even the Doidge lay off for Allan was superb, it had been roles reverse Allan would be getting huge praise. We are a work in progress as all teams are but this myth that we were poor on Saturday is just that imo. Let’s not forget the pish we have watched over the years and the hoofball we played at times even during Lennon. I’d much rather watch is try to play than that any day of the week, yeatvit didn’t always come off but it’s the right approach imo.
    Don’t think it’s a myth that we were poor.

We created next to nothing for the first hour. We improved after that and created some good chances (Kamberi and Doidge should have both scored, done out of a goal by a shocker of a decision).

I think we deserved to sneak a win but there is a hell of a lot to improve on.

@hibs.net private member
    While Goodwin's comments may have been partly to praise his side for only losing to us 1-0, I'd rather take more notice of his thoughts on the game than some of the experts on here.
    Think we've plenty room for improvement, but St Mirren weren't nearly as bad as I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by The Harp View Post
    While Goodwin's comments may have been partly to praise his side for only losing to us 1-0, I'd rather take more notice of his thoughts on the game than some of the experts on here.
    Think we've plenty room for improvement, but St Mirren weren't nearly as bad as I expected.

Was actually quite surprised with St Mirren tbf.

@hibs.net private member Hibernian Verse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    Was actually quite surprised with St Mirren tbf.
    I think people expected us to turn up and pump them 3 or 4. The way it went they were a lot better than expected.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Goodwin is right - and he set up his team to negate our strengths and our style of play.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I thought we played alright. I’d hope there was more to come but if we won by 2 or 3 I don’t think St Mirren could have complained.

Post twice, two open goals missed, two one on ones missed, a goal chalked off for offside that was miles onside and yet we still won the game.
    Yep, I thought we played well at times, especially when Slivka came on. He and Vela could be a good two in the middle against the stronger sides.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    and i'l compliment goodwin, his team were very well organised and could have won that game, i doubt they will be fighting relegation this season on that showing, thankfully we have a scott allan

He was actually very complimentary of Hibs/Hecky and came across very well.

It’s weird how you build a perception of someone based on playing style then he actually comes across as a really decent guy.

Not saying five good minutes makes up for the more plodding moments, but there were points in the first half where we did look good and managed to work it through with one-twos and decent moves. Kamberi and Doidge's two chances in the second half as well - figured that was the game plan, where we're fine keeping the ball for long periods with little threat if we end up in those positions at the end of it.

Too little pace and didn't have the movement to make it happen often enough, hence we ended up looking dull and passing it around for the hell of it for large spells. If people decide it's going to be boring all season so be it, but if you can trust we might improve and get more of those moments then the weekend reaction is OTT.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by McS****y View Post
    When you lose, you talk up the opposition. Standard management procedure, especially early in the season. Don't think anyone can read too much into what was said.
    it was nice to hear but I reckon more to do with keeping the pressure of himself after their start to the season.

Think the argument about pace is an interesting one for that game as they sat that deep wasn’t like there were tons of space to run into. I thought St Mirren played well and won’t be relegation fodder on that and as was said above they deserve credit, we won’t have it all out own way this season and teams like that will come to frustrate. We got over the line which is the main thing.

He'd never fit in on hibs.net