hibs.net Messageboard

Page 274 of 486 FirstFirst ... 174224264272273274275276284324374 ... LastLast
Results 8,191 to 8,220 of 14577
    @hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    is that gobber calling it a joke ? it was handball, end of ffs

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    Anyone else think the West Ham keeper is getting a really hard time? For me it’s the centre half who’s caught on his heels that ****s it for them.

VAR really does it's best to screw up the game. A spontaneous sport turned into a laughing stock by people who have never played the game.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyAsHellas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    VAR really does it's best to screw up the game. A spontaneous sport turned into a laughing stock by people who have never played the game.
    I agree, the handball wasn’t intentional, but under the rules it has to chalked off. The emotion and the spontaneous nature of football is being sucked away by this abomination. Goal line technology improved the game var is ruining it. It’s here to stay, but the rules need to be changed for next season.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I think the rule's quite clear, if it hits the hand in the lead up to a goal then it doesn't count regardless of whether it was intentional or not. Keeps things nice and simple.
    Disagree completely. We all attend games hoping to see goals and for the life of me I fail to see the sense in outcomes like we saw today. The new law is unfairly loaded in favour of the defending team and is a complete turn around from not too long ago when the attacker was to be given the benefit of the doubt.....

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Moyes having a giraffe saying West Ham might have deserved even more than a draw from that game!

The daft handball rule has done them for a draw but they wouldn’t even have deserved that, they got played off the park second half.

Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Disagree completely. We all attend games hoping to see goals and for the life of me I fail to see the sense in outcomes like we saw today. The new law is unfairly loaded in favour of the defending team and is a complete turn around from not too long ago when the attacker was to be given the benefit of the doubt.....
    I'm pretty sure the unwritten law of giving the attacking team the benefit of the doubt was with marginal offside decisions.

I'm pretty sure the unwritten law of giving the attacking team the benefit of the doubt was with marginal offside decisions.
    It was - my point was that the attacker was given the benefit to allow more goals. This handball rule is the complete opposite of that.

It was - my point was that the attacker was given the benefit to allow more goals. This handball rule is the complete opposite of that.
    I think it removes any debate over people's subjective opinions on whether the handball was intentional or not.

If you look at rugby, a try is disallowed if it has come from a forward pass in the build up, regardless of whether it was intentional or not. Trying to figure out whether the handball is intentional or not opens a whole can of worms and it's much clearer guidance for referees to say that if the ball strikes the hand or arm of an attacking player in the build up to a goal, it must be ruled out.

Everyone then knows where they stand.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    VAR will be scaled back quite considerably from its current form in the close season I reckon. It’s sucking the life out of the game in the English top flight and the numbers of those who are against it seems to be growing on a weekly basis.

I think it removes any debate over people's subjective opinions on whether the handball was intentional or not.

If you look at rugby, a try is disallowed if it has come from a forward pass in the build up, regardless of whether it was intentional or not. Trying to figure out whether the handball is intentional or not opens a whole can of worms and it's much clearer guidance for referees to say that if the ball strikes the hand or arm of an attacking player in the build up to a goal, it must be ruled out.

Everyone then knows where they stand.
    Then in the interest of fairness any handball by a defender should be deemed a penalty kick whether it's intentional or not.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Then in the interest of fairness any handball by a defender should be deemed a penalty kick whether it's intentional or not.
    Then attacking players could deliberately try to hit the ball off the defender's hand.

A defender isn't going to try to hit a forward's hand in order to stop a goal being given.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

What about Thiery Henry's hand ball goal against Ireland?

At the time most, if not all, football fans asked the question, "Why, if the TV can see the offence seconds after it happens, don't they use it to help referees get decisions right?"

Are we now saying that, in hindsight, we're happy that the goal was given even though it was blatant cheating because it didn't use VAR?

VAR isn't "killing the game" or "sucking the life out of it". It's changing it.

I'd rather have a few tight, but correct, decisions in a match, than blatant injustices like Henry's handball, diving for penalties and players pretending to have been hit in the face.

The laws of the game might need tweaking, but I think VAR is good for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post

At the time most, if not all, football fans asked the question, "Why, if the TV can see the offence seconds after it happens, don't they use it to help referees get decisions right?"

Are we now saying that, in hindsight, we're happy that the goal was given even though it was blatant cheating because it didn't use VAR?

I'd rather have a few tight, but correct, decisions in a match, than blatant injustices like Henry's handball, diving for penalties and players pretending to have been hit in the face.

I for one am not complaining about VAR - it's the absurd rule changes I'm against.

Then attacking players could deliberately try to hit the ball off the defender's hand.

A defender isn't going to try to hit a forward's hand in order to stop a goal being given.
    I said to my wife at the start of the season that would happen eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Moyes having a giraffe saying West Ham might have deserved even more than a draw from that game!

The daft handball rule has done them for a draw but they wouldn’t even have deserved that, they got played off the park second half.
    Moyes didn't make a great case for himself with his nonsensical rant about people who have played the game know it's a good goal. What does that mean lol? VAR did its job but the rule itself is daft.

I said to my wife at the start of the season that would happen eventually.
    They already have.

Agreed.

People like Jamie Carragher going mad last night at West Ham's goal being disallowed and saying VAR's ruining the game and the goal should have stood etc, would have been the very same people this time last year saying how Sheffield Utd would be feeling hard done by and that the goal was fortunate to have stood.

I agree in the cases of offside, VAR's taken that too far and there really ought to be clear daylight between the attacker and the second last defending player in order for an offside call to be given.

Drawing lines on the TV which shows the attacker's kneecap was 0.1mm offside and therefore the goal's chalked off is a nonsense but in general I think it's a positive.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    VAR is anti-football - Loved by rules geeks but hated by spectators.
    Rules are being changed for the benefit of VAR rather than the betterment of a sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Rules are being changed for the benefit of VAR rather than the betterment of a sport.
    The decision is correct. That IS the betterment of sport. Remember when our own Rod Petrie coined the phrase sporting integrity? VAR is giving football it’s integrity back on the pitch.

Agreed.

People like Jamie Carragher going mad last night at West Ham's goal being disallowed and saying VAR's ruining the game and the goal should have stood etc, would have been the very same people this time last year saying how Sheffield Utd would be feeling hard done by and that the goal was fortunate to have stood.

I agree in the cases of offside, VAR's taken that too far and there really ought to be clear daylight between the attacker and the second last defending player in order for an offside call to be given.

Drawing lines on the TV which shows the attacker's kneecap was 0.1mm offside and therefore the goal's chalked off is a nonsense but in general I think it's a positive.
    Yes, fully agree. There has to be clear daylight in offside decisions.

Also think common sense needs to apply with the handball rule. The Henry one - yes, advantage was gained. The Gareth Bale one from early in the season - no, the ball run down his arm for a fraction of a second, but no advantage was gained.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Geeks v supporters?

If there really is such a division, which I doubt, I don't think either group is pleased that VAR didn't exist when things like the above used to happen.

VAR has stopped it.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 11-01-2020 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    The decision is correct. That IS the betterment of sport. Remember when our own Rod Petrie coined the phrase sporting integrity? VAR is giving football it’s integrity back on the pitch.
    The decision was correct, the rule is nonsense.

It’s all about preventing goals. A handball wouldn’t have been given against the defender in that instance. Unless they’d broke away and scored a goal of course.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    The decision was correct, the rule is nonsense.

It’s all about preventing goals. A handball wouldn’t have been given against the defender in that instance. Unless they’d broke away and scored a goal of course.
    It’s not aimed at the prevention of goals though is it? The meaning behind it is to assist the referee in the award of goals/major decisions within a game. So using your example if the defender had handled the ball, won it, then played a blinder of a pass and a goal came from it it would still be the correct decision because the outcome has a major influence on the game.

It’s not aimed at the prevention of goals though is it? The meaning behind it is to assist the referee in the award of goals/major decisions within a game. So using your example if the defender had handled the ball, won it, then played a blinder of a pass and a goal came from it it would still be the correct decision because the outcome has a major influence on the game.
    I think in those circumstances, a goal would be given.

Otherwise it's a penalty, but it's not.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Big round of applause for the Palace cheerleaders! 👀

1-0 Arsenal Aubameyang

The handball rule favours the team defending in that you wouldn’t get a penalty or free kick given against you for most handballs, but you’ll ALWAYS get a goal disallowed if there is a handball in the lead up to it.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Alloa v Arbroath postponed, thought they had a plastic pitch?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Alloa v Arbroath postponed, thought they had a plastic pitch?
    Plastic pitches can still flood. Add to that, spectator comfort and safety, and there could be sufficient grounds for postponement.