hibs.net Messageboard

Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who's likely to take his place?
    Stoeffel Vandoorne is their reserve driver.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Lewis Hamilton Covid 19 positive. Misses the weekends race.
    Likely to miss the last two races

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Williams' George Russell to race next to Valtteri Bottas at Mercedes after Lewis Hamilton contracted Covid-19; Jack Aitken to make his F1 debut at Williams; Russell has been highly-rated since F1 debut last year and is on Mercedes' books
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Williams' George Russell to race next to Valtteri Bottas at Mercedes after Lewis Hamilton contracted Covid-19; Jack Aitken to make his F1 debut at Williams; Russell has been highly-rated since F1 debut last year and is on Mercedes' books
    I’m really looking forward to seeing Russell in the Mercedes, I think he could be a top driver.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I’m really looking forward to seeing Russell in the Mercedes, I think he could be a top driver.
    He's been lightning quick in quali for Williams. Bottas absolutely has to beat him - I suspect he will - but that would damage his credibility beyond repair IMO.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Russell looking very quick in the first practice session. Think his fight will likely be with Verstappen on Saturday and Sunday though, Bottas is quick when the chips are down and I expect him to get pole and win the race. Tempted to stick a fiver on Russell to get both though!

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    We all remember Bianchi's horrendous crash which led to the Halo, but I'm sure there are others on this thread who remember the weekend that took the lives of Senna and Ratzenberger and damn near took the life of Barrichello.

I've watched highlights and replays so many times. I can't believe that Roman Grosjean is still alive.
    Not a F1 fan but reading about the safety measures they now have saved his life, the halo only been introduced since 2018

Left by mutual consent!
    The current social media love in with Lewis Hamilton is massively over the top.
    George Russell who before today many non F1 fans would not even had heard of has just taken Hamilton's place in the best car.
    Previous best grid position 12th - today front row.
    Previous best F1 finish 11th and today if it wasn't for an almighty cock up by Mercedes then a puncture he would have won this race comfortably. Gives clear evidence to my earlier assertion that the best race teams/cars and the best trainers/horses make champion drivers and jockeys.
    I even saw Hamilton touted as best British "sportsman" yesterday! Nonsense. Here's a few without thinking too hard...Steve Redgrave, Daley Thompson, Andy Murray, Chris Hoy, and I'll throw in Phil Taylor for controversy 😀

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    George Russell who before today many non F1 fans would not even had heard of has just taken Hamilton's place in the best car.
    Previous best F1 finish 11th and today if it wasn't for an almighty cock up by Mercedes then a puncture he would have won this race comfortably. Gives clear evidence to my earlier assertion that the best race teams/cars and the best trainers/horses make champion drivers and jockeys.
    I even saw Hamilton touted as best British "sportsman" yesterday! Nonsense. Here's a few without thinking too hard...Steve Redgrave, Daley Thompson, Andy Murray, Chris Hoy, and I'll throw in Phil Taylor for controversy 😀
    Hamilton who took over a middle of the pack team and quickly lead them to being one of the best in history? The only man who have won a race in every season he's competed in, despite having had a couple of fairly dreadful McLarens and Mercedes cars?

George Russell is a fantastic talent. It doesn't mean that Hamilton isn't one of the greatest drivers of all time, because he blatantly is.

I even saw Hamilton touted as best British "sportsman" yesterday! Nonsense. Here's a few without thinking too hard...Steve Redgrave, Daley Thompson, Andy Murray, Chris Hoy, and I'll throw in Phil Taylor for controversy
    ... real shame that you can’t see talent without trying to destroy it.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    ... real shame that you can’t see talent without trying to destroy it.

Oh for goodness sake dry yer eyes. I didn't say he wasn't talented but he's far from our greatest sportsman.

Oh for goodness sake dry yer eyes. I didn't say he wasn't talented but he's far from our greatest sportsman.
    Sounds like yourself who's having a wee greet.

He's broken almost every record there is to break and has only had two teams. He's won everywhere he's at, often with not the best car on the grid. Even at the end of last season the Ferraris were faster. He's using his platform for social change, he's a fair racer, he's phenomenal.

There's no rational denial of it that he's well up there as one of our greatest sportsmen.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Sounds like yourself who's having a wee greet.

He's broken almost every record there is to break and has only had two teams. He's won everywhere he's at, often with not the best car on the grid. Even at the end of last season the Ferraris were faster. He's using his platform for social change, he's a fair racer, he's phenomenal.

There's no rational denial of it that he's well up there as one of our greatest sportsmen.
    Absolutely. Mental that STILL people somehow diss Hamilton despite his unparalleled record.

Absolutely brilliant race today and you have to feel for George today...sure he’ll get his chance though and I’d be very tempted to put him in instead of Bottas next season.

As for the winner. Superb to see him top of the podium and surely surely he’s gonna be in a Red Bill next season.

Left by mutual consent!
    Fair enough didn't mean to hurt all your feelings 😢😢😢😢

Crazy race and gutted for George, hopefully he gets another chance next weekend.

Re Hamilton, he's an inspiration, his sheer dedication to his craft from the age of around 6 years old in the face of racism and constantly being told "you can't do this" is amazing. Him and Andy Murray share similar traits of complete and utter focus on winning, certainly 2 of the greatest ever British athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Absolutely. Mental that STILL people somehow diss Hamilton despite his unparalleled record.

Absolutely brilliant race today and you have to feel for George today...sure he’ll get his chance though and I’d be very tempted to put him in instead of Bottas next season.

As for the winner. Superb to see him top of the podium and surely surely he’s gonna be in a Red Bill next season.
    Yep. I always liked Hamilton and Button in the same team as they pushed each other well. Russell would learn a lot from Hamilton and would keep him very honest for those next titles. Defo the heir to the Hamilton seat though as those overtakes showed he's got what it takes to be a top, top driver.

Nobody can be unhappy about Sergio Perez winning today. Amazed that Stroll Sr. can show his face at the podium ceremony seeing as how he's not given him a drive for next season.

You have decided to trash someone attributing their all time record performance in a sport littered with greats to their equipment so take the criticism and jog on.

Yep. I always liked Hamilton and Button in the same team as they pushed each other well. Russell would learn a lot from Hamilton and would keep him very honest for those next titles. Defo the heir to the Hamilton seat though as those overtakes showed he's got what it takes to be a top, top driver.

Nobody can be unhappy about Sergio Perez winning today. Amazed that Stroll Sr. can show his face at the podium ceremony seeing as how he's not given him a drive for next season.

I think bottas has a contract for next year with Mercedes, but I wouldn’t be surprised if toto moves him on and brings Russell in. To step into a strange car with different characteristics, and thoroughly outshine a more experienced teammate who should have really dominated the weekend is a great achievement, and all done with a calmness and aplomb. Could be looking at the next cracking British racing driver

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    I think bottas has a contract for next year with Mercedes, but I wouldn’t be surprised if toto moves him on and brings Russell in. To step into a strange car with different characteristics, and thoroughly outshine a more experienced teammate who should have really dominated the weekend is a great achievement, and all done with a calmness and aplomb. Could be looking at the next cracking British racing driver
    What was telling that after quali yesterday he had to ask his engineer which one of the buttons he needed to press to turn the engine off.

Bottas had to comfortably beat Russell today without a shadow of a doubt. To be overtaken by him twice and to not be able to catch him is a bad showing.

Alex Albon has now had more than enough chances as well, Perez has to take that seat.

Tell you what, here's a question for those who don't rate Hamilton as being a great driver.

Taking into context that if they wanted a likeable character who would give good PR and media relations they could get someone much cheaper like Ricciardo or Lando Norris, if they wanted a previous champion they could get someone like Vettel for cheaper, if Lewis Hamilton wasn't a great driver then why have they kept him on such a massive salary year on year?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    You have decided to trash someone attributing their all time record performance in a sport littered with greats to their equipment so take the criticism and jog on.

Over the top mate, trash someone...no. Anyway I'll rev up and **** off now and leave you to your love in.

Over the top mate, trash someone...no. Anyway I'll rev up and **** off now and leave you to your love in.
    You came onto an F1 thread to trash Hamilton. Start a thread on greatest sportsmen if you want the debate, just remember that there have been some incredible women who have risen to the pinnacle of their sport over the years.

Do feel free to answer my previous question though - if what you're saying is true, then why have Mercedes continued to spend so much money on bringing him to the team then keeping him for so many years? If it's down to the machinery then they could get cheaper, if it's down to PR and media then they could get someone like Ricciardo?

Just a reminder that its Sebastian Vettels last race for Ferrari this weekend. Looking back I think he lost the will when he slid off the track when winning the German GP. It was a season of blunders.

Its a shame he's leaving after such a dreadful season. Over the past few years he's given us a lot to talk about.

What's your favourite?

I still have a wee chuckle at his spat with Hamilton where he quite deliberately side swiped him ... and who can forget when he when he swapped the 1st and 2nd boards over after another "lucky" Hamilton win.
    Space to let

Mazepin. What a ****ing idiot and what a sleazebag creep. Guaranteed his wealth will see him keep his seat though.

Coaching Staff
    Mazepin. What a ****ing idiot and what a sleazebag creep. Guaranteed his wealth will see him keep his seat though.
    The woman in the video is a friend and it was a joke. The woman posted the video. Daft all round but doesn’t make him a sleazeball or a creep.

So,

Driver of the year:
    Team of the year:
    Race of the year:
    Moment of the year:
    Drive of the year:

So,

Driver of the year:
    Team of the year:
    Race of the year:
    Moment of the year:
    Drive of the year:
    Hamilton
    McLaren (third in the constructors after the few years they’ve had is phenomenal. Barely put a foot wrong)
    Turkey
    Hamilton equals Schumacher’s seven titles and breaks more records
    Sainz at Monza

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    So,

Driver of the year: Hamilton but special mention for Perez and Ricciardo
    Team of the year:McLaren
    Race of the year:Monza
    Moment of the year: Last lap Lando https://youtu.be/np8TpBjKziQ
    Drive of the year: Gasly at Monza
    Last edited by Gatecrasher; 15-12-2020 at 05:53 PM.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    So,

Driver of the year:
    Team of the year:
    Race of the year:
    Moment of the year:
    Drive of the year:
    Hamilton
    McLaren
    Monza