hibs.net Messageboard

Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree, all he has to do is follow the rules.

just remove the ability of the teams to directly contact him

in the event of an incident, he/his team simply publish publicly an email/communication as to what judgement was made and why

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I think the only thing they can do is take the race result from lap 57 as lap 58 didn’t follow racing regulations and as much as I think he’s dangerous, I’d truly feel for Max. Lewis too.

It’s hugely damaging to the sport, either way. I don’t know how they retain trust or credibility from that.

My beef isn’t with Max here as other than the incident at the start of the race he did nothing wrong, it’s with the sport in general. Nobody wins from this, irrelevant of how it pans out.
    What did he do wrong in the incident at the start of the race? On your last point of course someone wins, a world champion is declared and will enter the history books.

United we stand here....

That was probably the most exciting end to a season I can remember. In the end the best man won, the sport needed a new champion and its good to see Honda putting out a championship winning engine again.

Left by mutual consent!
    Max is champion...for now lol

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    What did he do wrong in the incident at the start of the race? On your last point of course someone wins, a world champion is declared and will enter the history books.
    I think we’ll leave it there as there’s no talking sense with you.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Left by mutual consent!
    In future id like them to follow NASCAR in that they'll try finish race under green by adding 3 laps, green, white chequer they call it...

I think we’ll leave it there as there’s no talking sense with you.
    So anyone who disagrees with you isn’t talking sense. You are incredibly childish, throwing your toys out the pram when the result didn’t go the way you wanted it to. Enjoy the touring cars next season.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar

From the stewards determination.

Masi changed how the restart was done and as mentioned above now has the ignominy that he tried to avoid.

Neither team or driver has done anything wrong but Masi and his team have opened the sport to ridicule. Not because Max won, but by making last second changes to the restart that he did, he made that the only likely outcome.

I must admit that I feel a bit cheated but not by RB, Max or any of the drivers but by a sense that it was just too stage managed. Will Liberty be able to squeeze a bit more money out of sponsors for the revenge title series next year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Willis1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Wondered the same thing regarding the incident at the start,struggling to see what MV done wrong

Mercedes have submitted their intention to appeal.

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    Mercedes have submitted their intention to appeal.

Mercedes have gone from undignified to desperate, practically a laughing stock.
    ​#PERSEVERED

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs Class View Post
    Hardly.

The Stewards themselves has stated that the rules were ‘not applied fully’…it’s the ‘well what do you do about that’? question that they then answer as being not to revert to the lap before positions.

Merc have been done over by Masi not applying the rules correctly…that much is clear.

Quite what should be done about that is not clear and therefore the Stewards have decided that shortening the race to discount Masi’s blunder was not appropriate but I’m sure Merc will be asking the question again!

Masi has to go after this disaster and the other rather questionable decisions this season (the Spa debacle being another one where he seemed all to happy to have a whole race behind a safety car!)

From the stewards determination.

Masi changed how the restart was done and as mentioned above now has the ignominy that he tried to avoid.

Neither team or driver has done anything wrong but Masi and his team have opened the sport to ridicule. Not because Max won, but by making last second changes to the restart that he did, he made that the only likely outcome.

I must admit that I feel a bit cheated but not by RB, Max or any of the drivers but by a sense that it was just too stage managed. Will Liberty be able to squeeze a bit more money out of sponsors for the revenge title series next year?

Bang on the money there mate.

The Race Director manipulated the rules to an unprecedented degree to generate a last race sprint.

He had at least two options to avoid this situation: red flag the race or don’t let any cars pass. He did neither and blew it.

If it was the other way around RB would be doing the same and I wouldn’t blame them.

I agree that it is totally undignified but the application of the two rule books have always courted challenge from all teams

Quote Originally Posted by JXM73 View Post
    In future id like them to follow NASCAR in that they'll try finish race under green by adding 3 laps, green, white chequer they call it...
    They'd all run out of fuel!

I know you'll come back and say they should put more fuel in but they're restricted in the amount of fuel they are allowed and already some cars, like Ferrari, struggle to make it to the end of some races.
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Hardly.

The Stewards themselves has stated that the rules were ‘not applied fully’…it’s the ‘well what do you do about that’? question that they then answer as being not to revert to the lap before positions.

Merc have been done over by Masi not applying the rules correctly…that much is clear.

Quite what should be done about that is not clear and therefore the Stewards have decided that shortening the race to discount Masi’s blunder was not appropriate but I’m sure Merc will be asking the question again!

Masi has to go after this disaster and the other rather questionable decisions this season (the Spa debacle being another one where he seemed all to happy to have a whole race behind a safety car!)
    The stewards explained that Article 48.13 overrides the possibility that the earlier rule MAY have not been applied fully. My reading is that because of that override the need to rule on 48.12 became moot, so I disagree with your first point.
    ​#PERSEVERED

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post

I know you'll come back and say they should put more fuel in but they're restricted in the amount of fuel they are allowed and already some cars, like Ferrari, struggle to make it to the end of some races.
    forgot they run the cars almost empty..but again is that not the risk you have to take, will tyres last longer etc. Something has to be better than making it up as you go?

Hadn’t considered this. He did seem to be delighted to be on the podium and is probably happy not to be part of the mess

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post

Bring back refuling

Testimonial Due
    Embarrassing. Just like being in Glasgow when the Race Director/referee has the final say in how the rules are interpreted. Porto being sent off for sneezing in the box and giving away penalties for smiling at people

@hibs.net private member
    Not really a fan of Formula 1 now (it always seems to be more about technology and strategy more than driving ability) or Lewis Hamilton. I can understand wanting to give the race director discretion but there was no fair way of him exercising this given the different strategies adopted by the drivers. Accordingly, you need hard and fast rules so the teams know what will happen.

It also doesn't seem sporting to be able to nip in for new tyres when your opponent can't do it because the race might not even continue. It definitely wasn't a level playing field which is what apart should be about - but I guess Formula 1 is anything but a level playing field.

Have to say I admire Lewis H a lot more for the way he handled everything.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

The stewards explained that Article 48.13 overrides the possibility that the earlier rule MAY have not been applied fully. My reading is that because of that override the need to rule on 48.12 became moot, so I disagree with your first point.
    It wasn’t applied fully…anybody can see that. It’s crystal clear on the fact that the safety car needed to do another lap.

They decided that the Race Director has control of the safety car..that is also true.

But surely he needs to exercise that control within the rules?

Suppose this season was always going to end in controversy!

Hadn’t considered this. He did seem to be delighted to be on the podium and is probably happy not to be part of the mess

Yeah don’t think he will be too bothered but it does show that the decision was a poor one in that it only benefited one driver!

Mercedes have withdrawn their appeal with the FIA announcing a full review of the last 5 laps of the race.

This from the FIA

Probably as dignified a solution as could have been achieved

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/59691827

Verstappen said: "I can understand the first few days after a race like that you're not happy.

"But you should also understand this is racing and these things can happen."

"I don't feel sorry [for him] but I can understand that it can be very painful but at the end of the day," he said. "He also won a championship like that."

Max Verstappen doesn't do emotional intelligence or reading a room. Gone to feeling sorry for him as to how this has gone down to completely not.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Lewis Hamilton: Mercedes driver to decide on F1 future after Abu Dhabi inquiry

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/59951382
    Space to let

Would be very surprised if he walked away.

Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    Would be very surprised if he walked away.
    He won’t, he’s trying to pressure the inquiry into finding that he was cheated out of the world championship. Like all F1 drivers he needs excuses for things not going his way. The verdict won’t change anything, it will be designed to keep everyone happy.

United we stand here....

If I am honest, Hamilton back or not isn’t the real issue.

The FIA screwed up by making it all about the drama. An unsupported race director was exposed for entertainment value to the rants of Team Principals so that they could broadcast a 15 second soundbite. It led to a loss of clarity around rules and penalties and ultimately led to at best a novel use of the rule book in the last race.

What needs to come out is a whole lot of clarity around restarts, track limits, stewarding and running other drivers off the track. I stand by my opinion that Masi got it wrong but his paymasters hung him out there.

As a Hamilton fan I would like to see him race again but if he doesn’t there are plenty of other drivers that will make it worth watching.

I wonder who Mercedes would go for driver wise if Hamilton does walk away. Could see them offering bundles of cash to buy out Pierre Gasly's contract.