hibs.net Messageboard

Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JXM73 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Under safety car you bunch up for a rolling re start, just the rules..and all lapped cars are allowed to unlap... that's why they should have all been together...
    So the crashed car effectively lost Hamilton the race? He couldn’t really have lost the race if the crash hadn’t happened. Effectively, Verstappen fluked it.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    There’s literally no manner in where protocol was followed there. Drive to Survive has clearly become more important than a sporting contest.

On several occasions this season Max has gotten away with blue murder - appointed champion rather than winning it.

Fake American reality TV. What a sad sight.
    Nonsense. Hamilton got away with one again today. I’ve no idea why you have such a dislike of Verstappen, but you would be one of the only ones walking away after what will go down as the greatest season in history.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    So the crashed car effectively lost Hamilton the race? He couldn’t really have lost the race if the crash hadn’t happened. Effectively, Verstappen fluked it.
    100% the crash cost Hamilton the race and the title. It’s one of those things that can happen, it’s really tough on Hamilton.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Rosberg is loving this.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    Not only a few cars. Plus they said no overtake then changed it to overtake
    Yeah, you either let none through or all through. If they'd had to let them all through then they wouldn't have had time to restart the race so Mercedes have been shafted.

Happy for Max though and the Dutch fans, they bring so much to F1. Added to the first lap incident where Lewis should have let Max by and it's been a pretty controversial race.

Fantastic excitement though, bring on next year and (hopefully) better cars for over taking.

FIA have manufactured a Hollywood ending to the race and decided the championship there.

Such a shame for an epic championship battle to end in such a manufactured and controversial way.

Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    … the real shame here is that race control have adapted the rules and it will not be a surprise to see Mercedes’ challenging the result.

Verstappen is a worthy champion and RB are a gutsy team who are exciting because they take risks.

There never has been nor will be a closer or more controversial season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’d love to hear the explanation of why they decided originally not to allow lapped cars to overtake. They said on tv that it was the only way to allow the race to be restarted, but that wasn’t the case, they could’ve easily allowed all the lapped cars to pass as they didn’t have to wait until until they had rejoined at the back of the grid. The cars that did unlap themselves were half a lap behind.

United we stand here....

Rotten luck for Hamilton. Deserved that race victory and then in turn, the championship.

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I’d love to hear the explanation of why they decided originally not to allow lapped cars to overtake. They said on tv that it was the only way to allow the race to be restarted, but that wasn’t the case, they could’ve easily allowed all the lapped cars to pass as they didn’t have to wait until until they had rejoined at the back of the grid. The cars that did unlap themselves were half a lap behind.
    That’s why I think that race control have royally mucked this up. Massi has made decisions at the end which seem to be without precedent and handed the race and championship to Max.

Either let the cars through and you have no choice but to finish under the safety car because of time constraints or you let RB have the one lap Hail Mary behind cars that will get out of the way that they went for with the pit stop

… not sure that Charlie Whiting would have allowed the mess at the end to happen.

I’m a Hamilton fan who has no issues with Max winning the championship because he is a superb driver.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Mercedes launch two protests.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member
    https://mobile.twitter.com/PHortonF1...46661925912581

This is Article 48.12 - contentious issue is likely to circle around why only a few lapped cars (the ones between Hamilton & Verstappen) were given the signal to unlap themselves. #F1 #AbuDhabiGP

2 contentious points: - "any cars that have been lapped .. will be required to pass" - Not just a few of them - "the safety car will return to the pits at the end of the following lap" - not the same lap

Nonsense. Hamilton got away with one again today. I’ve no idea why you have such a dislike of Verstappen, but you would be one of the only ones walking away after what will go down as the greatest season in history.
    Lewis has won seven titles, Max has been appointed one.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

That’s why I think that race control have royally mucked this up. Massi has made decisions at the end which seem to be without precedent and handed the race and championship to Max.

Either let the cars through and you have no choice but to finish under the safety car because of time constraints or you let RB have the one lap Hail Mary behind cars that will get out of the way that they went for with the pit stop

… not sure that Charlie Whiting would have allowed the mess at the end to happen.

I’m a Hamilton fan who has no issues with Max winning the championship because he is a superb driver.

I think they could’ve let all the cars unlap themselves. It’s a really quick process and you don’t have to wait until they’ve rejoined the back of the grid. The time between the decision to not let the cars overtake and the decision to allow some to overtake was enough time for all the cars to unlap themselves. The stewards made a mess of it and then tried to fix their mistake. I think they got it right eventually but it was a mess.

United we stand here....

You’re not taking this well at all.

United we stand here....

What a shame, was always likely to happen but I really hoped that we wouldn't be talking over contentious issues after someone was crowned champion.

But the FIA have made a mess of it not for the first time this season either.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar

This is Article 48.12 - contentious issue is likely to circle around why only a few lapped cars (the ones between Hamilton & Verstappen) were given the signal to unlap themselves. #F1 #AbuDhabiGP

2 contentious points: - "any cars that have been lapped .. will be required to pass" - Not just a few of them - "the safety car will return to the pits at the end of the following lap" - not the same lap
    Yeah and that’s the rub.

I’ve never ever seen lapped cars unlapping themselves and the safety car coming in seconds later.

There was always going to be controversy and I agree that Charlie would not have put himself in the middle of this like Masi has done.

The right man won there. You cannot finish that race behind a safety car, you go racing at the end. End of.

As far as I'm aware, the race director has the ultimate say on what happens within and around the rules so Mercedes can protest all they want, the result won't change.

I love both these guys, I think they're likely 2 of the most skilled athletes to ever have walked the Earth so I don't have an agenda, but I much prefer Verstappens style. Lewis is an absolute hero though. The right man won.

I think they could’ve let all the cars unlap themselves. It’s a really quick process and you don’t have to wait until they’ve rejoined the back of the grid. The time between the decision to not let the cars overtake and the decision to allow some to overtake was enough time for all the cars to unlap themselves. The stewards made a mess of it and then tried to fix their mistake. I think they got it right eventually but it was a mess.
    I think that the problem was that the restart should be the lap after which would have had the race finishing after the safety car.

It is a genuine shame and the criticism sits squarely with Race Control. RB and Max are racers and took what was in front of them.

More rigged than boxing.

Re writing the rules on the last lap of the season with a championship in the balance knowing full well the person losing is on fresh tyres.

Absolute joke of a sport.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    The right man won there. You cannot finish that race behind a safety car, you go racing at the end. End of.

As far as I'm aware, the race director has the ultimate say on what happens within and around the rules so Mercedes can protest all they want, the result won't change.

I love both these guys, I think they're likely 2 of the most skilled athletes to ever have walked the Earth so I don't have an agenda, but I much prefer Verstappens style. Lewis is an absolute hero though. The right man won.
    Races ending behind the safety car are reasonably common.

I get Masi wanted a flying lap but the rules are pretty clear and he broke them to make that happen…that can’t be right surely.

And yeah neither driver deserved to lose the Championship as they were both in different class but neither does Lewis deserve to lose because the Race Director broke the rules in a manner never seen before!

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    At least now you’ve decided not to watch it again you will have more time to run Hamilton’s fan club.

I think there's also a rule which says the race director has the final say in how the rules are interpreted.

Whether we think he's right or wrong (again*) the result will stand.

* There's been numerous occasions this season where we've all been left scratching our heads.
    Space to let

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzling Doidge View Post
    More rigged than boxing.

Re writing the rules on the last lap of the season with a championship in the balance knowing full well the person losing is on fresh tyres.

Absolute joke of a sport.
    Its been like this all season, some benefitting Max some benefitting Lewis. As bad as officiating in football is at times the refs never make it up as they go along like has been happening in F1. Yeah I get it drama is part of the sport but this a manfactured and gets in the way of the actual sport. I'ts not good enough.

Max is a worthy Champ and I can't see them changing it but I get why Merc are upset and kicking up a fuss.

Sorry to see Lewis losing the tltle in such clearly controversial circumstances after having such a commanding lead - F1 hasn't done itself any favours with this strange decision IMO. Good to see Lewis being a true sportsman and congratulating Max. Bring on next season then ....

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    At least now you’ve decided not to watch it again you will have more time to run Hamilton’s fan club.
    I’ll be back watching BTCC - fantastic racing

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Races ending behind the safety car are reasonably common.

I get Masi wanted a flying lap but the rules are pretty clear and he broke them to make that happen…that can’t be right surely.

And yeah neither driver deserved to lose the Championship as they were both in different class but neither does Lewis deserve to lose because the Race Director broke the rules in a manner never seen before!
    This is the first race I've watched since the early 2000s and a procession ended under a safety car wouldn't have been a satisfying end. The race director didn't manufacture a crash that brought out the safety car but did allow for a racing finish. It didn't suit Hamilton because of their reluctance to pit but Max had to be there to take advantage.

Enjoyed the spectacle. Both drivers would be worthy champions with the season they've had.

I think masi was desperate to avoid being in a position of being accused of influencing the outcome, and shat himself when the Latifi crash happened, and panicked, and ended up manifesting the one thing he was petrified of, being at the centre of a storm around the culmination of the driver’s title

seen someone online saying he should have red flagged it, which would have then provided a 5-10 lap straight shootout, gets the lapped cars out of the way, and means there’s no dubiety about rules being applied etc

have to say, I think masi has been very poor this whole season, and isn’t a patch on Charlie whiting as a race director

I think the only thing they can do is take the race result from lap 57 as lap 58 didn’t follow racing regulations and as much as I think he’s dangerous, I’d truly feel for Max. Lewis too.

It’s hugely damaging to the sport, either way. I don’t know how they retain trust or credibility from that.

My beef isn’t with Max here as other than the incident at the start of the race he did nothing wrong, it’s with the sport in general. Nobody wins from this, irrelevant of how it pans out.

Objection around the overtake rightly rejected - in the context of the restart no overall advantage from what I saw.

This felt like Mercedes giving the FIA an easy way out with a 5 second time penalty and the restart not being examined.

This will end in the court of arbitration.

Picking up on a comment by Martin Brundell, I think that looking at the support available for michael massi needs to be a priority for next season. Race Control have created the mess but if he is being asked to manage safety whilst every team principal can call him out on air, that is not healthy

Objection around the overtake rightly rejected - in the context of the restart no overall advantage from what I saw.

This felt like Mercedes giving the FIA an easy way out with a 5 second time penalty and the restart not being examined.

This will end in the court of arbitration.

Picking up on a comment by Martin Brundell, I think that looking at the support available for michael massi needs to be a priority for next season. Race Control have created the mess but if he is being asked to manage safety whilst every team principal can call him out on air, that is not healthy

I disagree, all he has to do is follow the rules.