hibs.net Messageboard

Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thing is, Lewis knows when to hold and when to yield, he knows it’s on.

Max will only ever win a fraction of what he could as he only ever does one thing. He’s just not clever enough.
    I would agree with that to an extent. He’s still young enough and he’s not as rash as he was when he first came into F1, if he wins the championship this year I think you’ll see a more mature driver next year.

United we stand here....

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    True but that’s probably the reason they only won one title. Hamilton has had plenty moments where he’s crashed or refused to give up a corner, his battles with Vettel and especially Rosberg got nasty at times. Lately he’s had the luxury of not really having a serious challenger so has been able to take a far more pragmatic view when things get a bit hairy. Hamilton has a challenger this season and you can see the formidable competitor that he is coming out again, he won’t back down to Verstappen and there will be more of these incidents between now and the end of the season.

i wouldn’t be surprised if there’s some behind-the-scenes stern words for both of them from the powers that be, they’ll be terrified of someone getting seriously injured, there may be some serious threats of punishment if there isn’t a bit more common sense applied

Really good race today.

Poor Lando!

Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    Really good race today.

Poor Lando!
    Absolutely gutted for him. He kinda brought it on himself by refusing to come in but the team should've been much more forceful. The whole team will learn a lot from that today though which is no bad thing.

I was massively impressed with Max today on that damage limitation job he managed to pull off. With Lewis likely having to take an engine penalty at some point within the next few races it really is game on in the drivers championship.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    Absolutely gutted for him. He kinda brought it on himself by refusing to come in but the team should've been much more forceful. The whole team will learn a lot from that today though which is no bad thing.

I was massively impressed with Max today on that damage limitation job he managed to pull off. With Lewis likely having to take an engine penalty at some point within the next few races it really is game on in the drivers championship.
    Such a tough call to make when your in the lead. As Mercedes said afterwards it was an easy decision for them as they were racing Max not Lando.

He’s a fine young driver and Mclaren are a massive improvement so hope he gets his win soon.

@hibs.net private member
    https://news.sky.com/story/formula-o...-deal-12422089

Australia has cancelled its November race due to covid it will now be held in qatar. Qatar will host a race for 10 years its announced

It’s looking like a wet race today. Hamilton starting down the grid should make this a good race.

United we stand here....

Toto says its Scottish rain lol 😆
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Howler of a decision from Mercedes. Absolutely no idea what was going through their heads. Lewis right to be enraged.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Howler of a decision from Mercedes. Absolutely no idea what was going through their heads. Lewis right to be enraged.
    If Hamilton had came in when he was first told to he would’ve had had a much better chance of finishing 3rd. He was 1.5 seconds a lap slower than all the cars around him. Even if he’d stayed out he’d have been passed by all the other cars. Occon didn’t pit and was 4 seconds slower than the car behind him on the last lap.

United we stand here....

If Hamilton had came in when he was first told to he would’ve had had a much better chance of finishing 3rd. He was 1.5 seconds a lap slower than all the cars around him. Even if he’d stayed out he’d have been passed by all the other cars. Occon didn’t pit and was 4 seconds slower than the car behind him on the last lap.
    Occon lost 17 seconds on Stroll ahead of him as well after Stroll pitted. Although I'm sure Hamilton's tyres would have lasted it would have been the wrong call IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Franck Le God View Post
    Occon lost 17 seconds on Stroll ahead of him as well after Stroll pitted. Although I'm sure Hamilton's tyres would have lasted it would have been the wrong call IMO.

Yip, he’d have finished in the same position or worse if he’d stayed out.

United we stand here....

Great battle. Championship going to go to the wire.

Brilliant tactical battle there. DRS at the end helped Max over the line but overall great race for him and Lewis.

I really thought Lewis was going to pass him, but Max had just enough left. The next 2 circuits are traditionally strong for Red Bull, 2 wins for Max could see him very close to his 1st world championship. Somehow though I don’t think it will happen like that, there’s been so many twists and turns this season it will almost certainly go down to the last race.

United we stand here....

Good win for Max but it was a pretty dull race. The first lap was good, but it was a bit of a procession after that.

United we stand here....

Verstappen can afford a DNF now I reckon

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Verstappen can afford a DNF now I reckon

in reality yeah possibly, mathematically not quite.

19 points behind, 4 races left. 25 points for a win, 18 for second.

so if LH wins every race from now, he’d gain 28 points on MV, putting him 9 ahead. Even if MV took all 4 fastest laps, LH can still win.

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar

Formula 1

https://twitter.com/analyticscapper/...450336258?s=21

Hamilton surely starting at the back of the grid if his DRS was opening too wide.

Max should be nowhere near Hamilton’s car and has just muddied the waters. He should all but secure the title this weekend.

Great drive from Hamilton today, but there’s a lot of questions to be answered. Are Mercedes’ cheating? That car is unbelievably quick, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a car make up that many positions in such a short space of time. Right now Hamilton will win the race tomorrow as long as he doesn’t crash.

United we stand here....

Great drive from Hamilton today, but there’s a lot of questions to be answered. Are Mercedes’ cheating? That car is unbelievably quick, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a car make up that many positions in such a short space of time. Right now Hamilton will win the race tomorrow as long as he doesn’t crash.
    Post race Norris mentioned that his fight is not with Hamilton so wonder how much fight there was in many today.

That said, temps were down and he has a brand new engine on a track where DRS matters so was able to push.

Still a fun drive to watch

Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    Post race Norris mentioned that his fight is not with Hamilton so wonder how much fight there was in many today.

That said, temps were down and he has a brand new engine on a track where DRS matters so was able to push.

Still a fun drive to watch

I think there definitely was a fair few drivers not wanting to ruin their race and just letting him past, added to the fact that Hamilton had absolutely nothing to lose probably worked in his favour. Time will tell whether Mercedes are up to no good, either way it should be a cracking race today.

United we stand here....

That was a Senna-esque drive. Phenomenal.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar

Formula 1

Simply sublime from Hamilton.

Sure he has a rocket powered car under him but to pull off so many overtakes in two races to end up winning is just ridiculous.

How Max never got a 5 second penalty for that move at turn 4 is beyond me!

Red Bull had the best aero which was shown in the second sector and last week. The Mercedes is a bullet on the straights which came through.

Both teams playing F1 politics which just adds to the drama.

I must admit that I am amazed that Hamilton was able to plough through the field but that was down to forgetting how strong straight line speed was at the circuit

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post

Sure he has a rocket powered car under him but to pull off so many overtakes in two races to end up winning is just ridiculous.

Flat out dangerous from Max. Yet again.

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post

That was a slam dunk penalty, it was also weird that they didn’t show the onboard camera angle from Max’s car. The last 3 races are going to be really hard fought and not giving a penalty there has set a precedent.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    That was a slam dunk penalty, it was also weird that they didn’t show the onboard camera angle from Max’s car. The last 3 races are going to be really hard fought and not giving a penalty there has set a precedent.
    Considering all the furore over Hamilton at Silverstone and how he wasn’t going to make the apex etc. it was even stranger. They didn’t even formally investigate the incident.

Even without the on board it was clear as day Max didn’t attempt to hit the apex and then deliberately ran wide on the exit.

Mercedes were clearly annoyed and just as well it didn’t impact the result. Lewis was smart though and he knew Max would try something so was ready for him, he wasn’t going to let Max do a repeat of Monza and use the oldest F1 trick in the book of causing a DNF of your opponent to keep you in the championship lead.

Mercedes also clearly using this and the DRS thing to create a bunker mentality. Love them or loathe them you have to admire their sheer determination to keep on it. To get an organisation to stay so focused after such a long run of being at the top is really impressive.

Can’t wait for the next instalment of what’s been a classic season!

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Bottas to crash in to Max in next race at start if it’s possible.

Two new tracks coming up is an interesting one, not quite sure who that benefits.