hibs.net Messageboard

Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1

Brilliant for Ocon.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Hamilton looks like he’s struggling

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    That was another excellent race today on a track that doesn’t lend itself to overtaking. Mercedes blew it and then almost rescued it with the strategy, but it’s so good to see someone like Ocon get the win. Alonso against Hamilton was epic and I was a bit disappointed to hear Hamilton complaining on his radio, but they all seem to do it. Delighted for Williams to have both cars in the points and it was good to see young Mick Schumacher get his elbows out while fighting for a points position.
    It’s weird as everyone thought this season would be dull as all the teams concentrated on next season, but it could go down as one of the best.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Brilliant from Hamilton again.

He makes this stuff look easy but wow his wheel to wheel with Alonso and waiting for his chance was superb. As was his pace throughout..that out lap to get past Max and Ric was unbelievable.

Mental race and always good to see a new winner!!

Just on the start tho…if Hamilton had came into the pits I’m not sure he would have been able to get released.

His pit box is first and he would have been forced to wait for the whole field to come past…or he would have needed up doing an Alfa.

Vettel under investigation due to not enough fuel in the car for the after race sample.

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just on the start tho…if Hamilton had came into the pits I’m not sure he would have been able to get released.

His pit box is first and he would have been forced to wait for the whole field to come past…or he would have needed up doing an Alfa.

because the race hadn’t officially restarted he’d have been moved back to P1, what you’ve described is exactly shat happened to George Russell, the FIA told him to give the places back as he’d moved up 3 or 4 places during the pit scramble

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    Vettel under investigation due to not enough fuel in the car for the after race sample.
    Officially DQed.

Crying shame.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    because the race hadn’t officially restarted he’d have been moved back to P1, what you’ve described is exactly shat happened to George Russell, the FIA told him to give the places back as he’d moved up 3 or 4 places during the pit scramble
    Ahh got ya, thanks.

Mercedes will be giving Bottas a huge bonus for playing 'the team game' sooooo well this afternoon. They couldn't have wished for better. 😉
    Space to let

Right I’m still confused by this.

We had, as you pointed out, Russell told to give places back but this morning we have Sainz and Ferrari complaining they lost places in the pit stop that compromised their race.

All added to a rather odd spectacle I suppose but I’m still not full understanding the rules here.

I thought Russell had to move back because he came up the inside of the other drivers in the pit lane. If you look at the restart Russell comes from the inside of all the other drivers. I can’t remember, but was Latifi 3rd when the race was red flagged?

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I thought Russell had to move back because he came up the inside of the other drivers in the pit lane. If you look at the restart Russell comes from the inside of all the other drivers. I can’t remember, but was Latifi 3rd when the race was red flagged?
    Can’t multi quote on phone, apologies RyeSloan for not quoting you too

Could well be me that’s misunderstood the reason for Russell being told to give the places back 😂

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Dan Tictum dropped by the Williams Young Driver scheme after singing “Doo be Doo be Doo, Latifi’s a poo” on a live stream.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Dan Tictum dropped by the Williams Young Driver scheme after singing “Doo be Doo be Doo, Latifi’s a poo” on a live stream.
    He claims he was already punted before the incident…which makes sense as he was obviously a bit bitter about it when you read the full exchange after his wee ditty.

I see Massi has cleared up the start procedure re last Sunday.

Absolutely the start order could and did change due to the pit stops and the order leaving the pits was considered the correct order.

Russell overtook in the pit lane so was told to give those places back.

So I’m back to where I started on this regarding Lewis having to stop in the first pit box and would have ended up last anyway.

I see Massi has cleared up the start procedure re last Sunday.

Absolutely the start order could and did change due to the pit stops and the order leaving the pits was considered the correct order.

Russell overtook in the pit lane so was told to give those places back.

So I’m back to where I started on this regarding Lewis having to stop in the first pit box and would have ended up last anyway.
    He wouldn’t have been last as I’m now probably going to make a mess of an attempt at explaining You’re right that the whole field would’ve passed him while he had to sit in his pit box, but the chain reaction of that is that the car in second into the pits would also have to wait and so on, Hamilton would be able to leave his pit box first as soon as the whole field have past him, effectively joining the back of the train of cars. The car that went in second would join behind Hamilton. The reason some gained and some lost is due to the position of their pit box. Mercedes are number 1 with Red Bull 2 and McLaren 3, it depended on we’re your box was and what position you were in the race. The teams like Williams who’s pit box is last gained because they could take advantage of the carnage that was going on with cars crashing into each other in the pit lane.
    There’s no way of knowing where he would’ve come out, but he wouldn’t have been last.

United we stand here....

He wouldn’t have been last as I’m now probably going to make a mess of an attempt at explaining You’re right that the whole field would’ve passed him while he had to sit in his pit box, but the chain reaction of that is that the car in second into the pits would also have to wait and so on, Hamilton would be able to leave his pit box first as soon as the whole field have past him, effectively joining the back of the train of cars. The car that went in second would join behind Hamilton. The reason some gained and some lost is due to the position of their pit box. Mercedes are number 1 with Red Bull 2 and McLaren 3, it depended on we’re your box was and what position you were in the race. The teams like Williams who’s pit box is last gained because they could take advantage of the carnage that was going on with cars crashing into each other in the pit lane.
    There’s no way of knowing where he would’ve come out, but he wouldn’t have been last.
    Hmm yeah fair point, certainly on the Williams front as Alfa decided to just let their driver crash into the queue of cars coming in…although Hamilton would have been stuck behind that nonsense as well!

But on reflection I think yer right, he would not have been dead last like he was.

Glad he didn’t though as that solo start will be an enduring F1 image!!

Just watched the recording of qualifying. ****in hell what a performance from Russell. I really thought he was going to be on pole, future world champion imo.

United we stand here....

Unlucky for Norris, he was looking dominant until his crash.

United we stand here....

Unlucky for Norris, he was looking dominant until his crash.
    Small margins between hero and zero.

He'll be lucky to make the grid tomorrow.
    Space to let

Just watched the recording of qualifying. ****in hell what a performance from Russell. I really thought he was going to be on pole, future world champion imo.
    He’s been doing some ridiculous things for Williams for a while but wow that lap today was just unbelievable. What a talent and cannot wait to see in an even better car.

Brilliant for Williams as well, they have had some tough times but have been suggesting that they are getting back to some sort of form and today must be a huge boost for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Small margins between hero and zero.

He'll be lucky to make the grid tomorrow.
    Agreed, his car was a mess.

United we stand here....

He’s been doing some ridiculous things for Williams for a while but wow that lap today was just unbelievable. What a talent and cannot wait to see in an even better car.

Brilliant for Williams as well, they have had some tough times but have been suggesting that they are getting back to some sort of form and today must be a huge boost for them.
    Hamilton won’t be looking forward to having him as a teammate. If it’s a wet race anything could happen.

United we stand here....

Hamilton won’t be looking forward to having him as a teammate. If it’s a wet race anything could happen.
    Well Hamilton always says he wants a challenge to keep him focussed…he’s
    gonna have that next year in spades!

Russell though will also face a challenge..not just trying to best Lewis but he goes from ‘nothing to lose mode’ to everything to lose. We have seen what that’s done to the young Red Bull guys so will be interesting to see how he handles that.

But he appears to be a level above the vast majority of drivers already and looks to have the world at his feet.

Perez in the wall getting the car to the grid

Well Hamilton always says he wants a challenge to keep him focussed…he’s
    gonna have that next year in spades!

Russell though will also face a challenge..not just trying to best Lewis but he goes from ‘nothing to lose mode’ to everything to lose. We have seen what that’s done to the young Red Bull guys so will be interesting to see how he handles that.

But he appears to be a level above the vast majority of drivers already and looks to have the world at his feet.
    It will definitely be a different challenge for Russell, but it’s one I think he’ll take in his stride. It’s a pity he’s not likely to get a chance to show what he can do from the front row today.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar
    Based on the graphic I am presuming that it will be a couple of laps behind the safety car and then half points based on the atrocious conditions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should’ve either let them go out and race properly or not at all, seems a bit of a con to go out under the safety car just to get the 2 minimum laps in then straight back in, it was obvious from the medical car going round it wasn’t safe

for the record, I’m not saying they should have went racing at all, it was far too dangerous

Should’ve either let them go out and race properly or not at all, seems a bit of a con to go out under the safety car just to get the 2 minimum laps in then straight back in, it was obvious from the medical car going round it wasn’t safe

for the record, I’m not saying they should have went racing at all, it was far too dangerous
    I think that contractually it fulfills the minimum requirements. They won’t have to offer refunds to fans, sponsors and tv companies. I agree though that it’s a bit of a con. George Russell didn’t seem to mind though.

United we stand here....