hibs.net Messageboard

Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My point was made back on page 6. "The car makes the champion" Nice to see you're finally agreeing with me. A quick check shows in the 63 years since the constructors championship started the champion driver has raced for the winners 54 times
    I think it was more along the lines of if you are in the best car you can’t fail but be Champion ergo Hamilton is not really so great after all…maybe I’ve misconstrued your point? But if not I’m still not buying that view

A champion will be in the best car most of the time but to be in the best car most of the time you tend to be champion material.

To be a champion many many times over you need more than just the best, or one of the best, car(s).

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Was wondering that myself but on the flip side of you wipe out in the sprint race then you massively impact your GP.

I’m not sure anyone quite knows how this will work but I’m minded to think that it’s a mistake linking the sprint race to the GP start positions for these very reasons.

If there is to be a sprint race (not sure I’m 100% on the concept) then it should be the opposite and jeopardy free in the sense that risks and adventure are encouraged rather than one mistake compromising your ability to influence the main event.
    We’ve not got long to find out.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I think that would have worked better at half the length with points for the top five drivers to make it worth more of a risk to send one.

Still enjoyed it though.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    I think that would have worked better at half the length with points for the top five drivers to make it worth more of a risk to send one.

Still enjoyed it though.
    Pretty enjoyed that myself.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar

Still enjoyed it though.
    Longer sprints will not be sprints tho and as we saw today if you want flat out racing the tyres simply won’t last.

I think the distance was about right.

Might work better next year when the cars can follow a bit easier as really F1 just now is it set up for sprints hence why the main GP’s are often all about the pit stops and long strategy.

Was no disaster though and I’m sure it is much better for the crowds attending to get something meaningful across the 3 days.

Red Bull showing the best and worst of the sprint qualifying, you can either win yourself pole at the 2nd attempt or send yourself to the back of the pack.

That was a big shunt for Verstappen there, I think Hamilton will end up with a penalty for causing it.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    That was a big shunt for Verstappen there, I think Hamilton will end up with a penalty for causing it.
    I’m thinking racing incident but I wouldn’t be shocked to see him get a penalty here.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    I’m thinking racing incident but I wouldn’t be shocked to see him get a penalty here.
    Given the penalties handed out recently I think Hamilton will get one.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Was great to watch (not that it lasted long). Was fully expecting them to crash.

Fully expecting Tom Cruise at Easter Road on Thursday. He's been at every other main sporting event. 😁

I wouldn't have even tried that overtake in my racing game!

Well I have actually and it never works out!!
    Space to let

50/1 for Perez to win from the back, he did it last season. If Hamilton gets a penalty there could be a surprise winner, maybe Norris could get his first win.

United we stand here....

An interesting afternoon ahead for Hamilton then, he’s going to have to go some to make up that penalty.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    An interesting afternoon ahead for Hamilton then, he’s going to have to go some to make up that penalty.
    Don't normally watch it but was channel hopping. Does the penalty mean Hamilton is effectively finishing about 9th as it stands?
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    I'd be expecting Hamilton to win by more than 10 seconds anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Don't normally watch it but was channel hopping. Does the penalty mean Hamilton is effectively finishing about 9th as it stands?
    When he goes into the pits to change tyres his team will have to wait 10 seconds before they can touch his car.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    When he goes into the pits to change tyres his team will have to wait 10 seconds before they can touch his car.
    Thanks. Just heard that.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Hamilton catching hoping leclerc can hold on!

Another cracking Grand Prix, a great win for the crowd to enjoy.

Racing incident. There was a gap and both drivers guilty of not giving the other any concession whatsoever. The sort of move that Max has attempted since day one.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Being able to hear the team radio to the race director is great grassing each other up to the teacher!

It’s a tricky one agree it a racing incident 2 top driver not giving an inch a penalty was given so they must think Hamilton was at fault.

Another cracking Grand Prix, a great win for the crowd to enjoy.
    Brilliant race, the crowd add so much to the whole weekend.

United we stand here....

Classless from Horner and Max post race.

@hibs.net private member
    What did they say turned to tdf after he won

what bugs me about it is that Max has pulled these manoeuvres himself, and Horner has played the smug, smirking, ‘well you know that’s racing’ quote out. I’m no Hamilton fan per say, but there’s an element of ‘live by the sword, die by the sword’ to this for me

both of them could have avoided it, neither really tried to, and a high speed collision happened. In this instance max came off worst, very often he’s the one who sails out of it and gets the advantage

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar

Formula 1

Verstappen appears to be well which is the important thing.

Slightly surprised by the venom that seems to be behind the Red Bull, owner/ ceo/ driver comments after the incident but they may be trying to generate a siege mentality.

Others have mentioned it already, both drivers had the opportunity to stop the contact, neither backed off.

Rest of the season could be interesting as I don’t see either backing off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    I'm surprised to see the Racing incident conclusion by some people, that was never on for Lewis and at 180 odd mph it was down right dangerous. If it had been a slower corner the dart up the inside is feasible but not there. The result of Max going to hospital tells you that. Outside of the UK narrative on Sky etc there seems to be a lot of anger towards the incident and I think the post race comments from Lewis fanned the flames a bit.

I like Hamilton and cheered him on to many of his titles but that's not on today I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    I'm surprised to see the Racing incident conclusion by some people, that was never on for Lewis and at 180 odd mph it was down right dangerous. If it had been a slower corner the dart up the inside is feasible but not there. The result of Max going to hospital tells you that. Outside of the UK narrative on Sky etc there seems to be a lot of anger towards the incident and I think the post race comments from Lewis fanned the flames a bit.

I like Hamilton and cheered him on to many of his titles but that's not on today I'm afraid.
    I agree and so do stewards. I'm not sure a 10 second penalty 'for causing a collision' was appropriate.

But I never have thought 5/10 second penalties have been appropriate when the guilty party goes on to gain points while the victim is left floundering at the back of the pack, or worse.
    Space to let

At the point of turning in they were good as level, neither driver backed down and as such they made minor contact. At that speed that’s enough to put at least one off. The fact Lewis did not suffer damage shows it was nothing more than that.

Max needs to be smarter, if he played it less aggressive and let him through, worst case he’s still 25pts clear in a championship with the faster car. He’s not matured enough to make these decisions yet and as such Lewis is within ten and has a massive boost now.
    Last edited by Northernhibee; 18-07-2021 at 08:06 PM.

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar

It is a fundamentally dangerous sport.

The contact was avoidable and both drivers had a choice. This wasn’t a Schumacher or Senna wipeout, it was a kiss.

I like Verstappen but I would argue that he believes that the other driver will always back down. He pushes his machine to the limit and deserves to be leading the championship. As has been mentioned, with a 33 point lead he needs to play a smarter game.

I am sure that Hamilton lost the chance of a title by being too aggressive with Webber in his younger days. Winning championships is different to winning races.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk