hibs.net Messageboard

Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast

Thread: Formula 1

Left by mutual consent!
    Wind and heat made qualifying interesting today.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What an awful season so far. Red Bill dominant, very little racing and overtaking, and even a mile ahead of anyone else Max is throwing his toys out of the pram at every opportunity.
    Crappie eh, the new hybrids where meant to mean closer races, hasn't worked that way, the rest look like they are driving F2 cars

Boring, you can see who the favourite driver is

Italian GP cancelled due to severe flooding in the area.
    Space to let

Quite funny all week I've been hearing this will be a difficult race for Red Bull 😄, still miles ahead

A lot of drivers riding their luck when the rain started.

I'm not sure the info a few of them were giving their drivers 🤔 The website I use for radar had it spot on to the minute! Works well at home too

https://weather.com/en-GB/weather/ra...abc14b64664007
    Space to let

It’s an iconic race but only when it’s wet does Monaco actually make for a decent spectacle

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Indycar and BTCC going forward for me. This is unwatchable.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Indycar and BTCC going forward for me. This is unwatchable.
    I’ve always preferred BTCC, real blood and guts racing.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    I’ve always preferred BTCC, real blood and guts racing.
    Have you ever been to the SMRC events at Knockhill? Had a few friends compete in the MINI cup and the C1 Trophy. Great racing by enthusiasts, wheel to wheel and no politics. Great value day out.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Have you ever been to the SMRC events at Knockhill? Had a few friends compete in the MINI cup and the C1 Trophy. Great racing by enthusiasts, wheel to wheel and no politics. Great value day out.
    I haven’t ,no. I need to put that right.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    In the last 6 years I've gone from watching qualifying and all of the build up to just watching highlights, and even then not bothering with that much.

I just find it all so boring and repetitive now. Maybe it's because I don't really care who wins more than anything as I find the same with the Premier League.

It's weird watching the Mediterranean grand prix when there's blazing sun outside and it's raining there in Barcelona, Monaco and the Italian GP was cancelled because of severe flooding.
    Space to let

Quote Originally Posted by Hibby70 View Post
    In the last 6 years I've gone from watching qualifying and all of the build up to just watching highlights, and even then not bothering with that much.

I just find it all so boring and repetitive now. Maybe it's because I don't really care who wins more than anything as I find the same with the Premier League.
    I was an absolute F1 obsessive back in the late 90s, and the last four or five years am pretty much switched off to it.

Reason one is it moving to Sky - I’m sure I’d have paid up for Sky Sports if the racing was still excellent.

However:

The sport now feels like WWE. The silly Drive to Survive where they’ve clearly cleverly selected their clips and quotes and radio snippets to sell a narrative. It’s also turned sections of the fan base absolutely toxic.

The cars are massive which makes for terrible racing, and the tracks are either no longer fit for purpose or downright dull.

Since they banned the high rake cars to try and stop the dominance of Mercedes, it’s swung a mile in the other direction. The Red Bull dominance is beyond tedious, combined with DTS portraying them as wonderful.

The instructions from the race directors are now absurd and skewed towards entertainment rather than what is right for the race, Australia this year being a perfect example.

The races are also more than ever about tyre management rather than actual racing.

A lack of interesting privateer teams on the grid.

First and foremost, Abu Dhabi 21 scunnered me. In trying to manufacture a last race shootout, Verstappen was allowed to almost completely get away with some completely unacceptable driving (Brazil, Saudi, etc.). In trying to get a final lap sprint, they tore up the rulebook and inadvertently handed a driver the title. From that point on, the drivers title becomes meaningless.

The only thing they could have done to save face on that would have been to award both drivers the title - embarrassing for the sport, but seeing as how the sport ****ed up and theoretically both drivers could have won the title, in terms of sporting integrity it was the only thing they could have done that would be fair.

As it is, it’s now just sports entertainment rather than motorsport.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    I have one word to describe F1 these days……Boring.

Verstappen on another pole... in other news water is wet... hate F1 when it's becoming a procession like it is this year 🥱

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by GRA View Post
    Verstappen on another pole... in other news water is wet... hate F1 when it's becoming a procession like it is this year 🥱
    Know what you mean but I'm still enjoying the race to be best of the rest and the resurgence of Alonso. Good chance Perez is driving himself towards being replaced especially after Horners interview.

Part of the problem is the cars are so bloody reliable nowadays. In the Schumacher/Hakkinen days there was always that edge that something could go wrong.

It rarely happens now
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

I'm not picking on you GRA with this.

I can't remember there being such a reaction to one team, one driver being so dominant when Mercedes and Hamilton ruled the road. Here's some stats around the first 166 races for each driver. There's not much difference.

"After the first three races of the 2023 season, the Dutch driver has cemented himself as the top driver in F1 and the one to beat this year. Interestingly, Hamilton was ahead of Max Verstappen's pole position count after making his first 166 appearances in his F1 career despite the Dutch driver's spree of records since the start of his career.

Let's compare some stats of both drivers after the 166 races in their careers:

Titles: Hamilton 2-2 Verstappen

Wins: Hamilton 33-37 Verstappen

Poles: Hamilton 38-22 Verstappen

Fastest laps: Hamilton 20-22 Verstappen

Podiums: Hamilton 71-80 Verstappen"

https://www.sportskeeda.com/f1/news-max-verstappen-vs-lewis-hamilton-statistics-compared-166-starts

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I'm not picking on you GRA with this.

I can't remember there being such a reaction to one team, one driver being so dominant when Mercedes and Hamilton ruled the road. Here's some stats around the first 166 races for each driver. There's not much difference.

"After the first three races of the 2023 season, the Dutch driver has cemented himself as the top driver in F1 and the one to beat this year. Interestingly, Hamilton was ahead of Max Verstappen's pole position count after making his first 166 appearances in his F1 career despite the Dutch driver's spree of records since the start of his career.

Let's compare some stats of both drivers after the 166 races in their careers:

Titles: Hamilton 2-2 Verstappen

Wins: Hamilton 33-37 Verstappen

Poles: Hamilton 38-22 Verstappen

Fastest laps: Hamilton 20-22 Verstappen

Podiums: Hamilton 71-80 Verstappen"

https://www.sportskeeda.com/f1/news-max-verstappen-vs-lewis-hamilton-statistics-compared-166-starts
    I don’t get the negativity either. It’s pretty rare to have a prolonged period where lots of cars are scrapping for race wins. It’s currently Verstappen but in previous times we’ve had Hamilton, Vettel, Schumacher the list goes on. I still love watching it.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    I have one word to describe F1 these days……Boring.
    Very much so, one car that has a unfair advantage through overspending until 2025 or something, I stopped watching now until there's at least a bit more competitiveness, the rest just look like F2 cars

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    McLaren!

Danny Ric to Alpha Tauri!

Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    Danny Ric to Alpha Tauri!
    I'm a wee bit surprised as I thought the idea for that team was to bring through young/new drivers. Nyck de Vries has been very disappointing though and the team is clearly struggling so maybe not the best place to introduce a rookie.

Good to see Dafty back 😆
    Space to let

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I'm a wee bit surprised as I thought the idea for that team was to bring through young/new drivers. Nyck de Vries has been very disappointing though and the team is clearly struggling so maybe not the best place to introduce a rookie.

Good to see Dafty back 😆
    Apparently Horner didn’t rate De Vries and said it wasn’t his decision to give him a seat.

Utterly unwatchable.

Utterly unwatchable.
    Didn't watch it and don't know the result but I'm going to take a complete shot in the dark here and say Verstappen won?...

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Didn't watch it and don't know the result but I'm going to take a complete shot in the dark here and say Verstappen won?...
    He did, it was an exciting race throughout though.

United we stand here....

Race all over within the first ten seconds.

I’ve got from looking forward to every race to not caring much anymore.

Only watched some of Sundays race due the the golf being dull also.

Think Netflix is going to struggle with this season!