hibs.net Messageboard

Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Formula 1 has always had untalented pay drivers, in fact it allowed many teams like Minardi, Arrows, Footwork, Forti, Pacific and the like to operate. In fact, I miss teams like that because on the once in four season occasion that a team like Minardi won a world championship point it felt like they'd won the title.

It's just now that the grid is smaller and that there are a lot less privateer teams that it's more noticeable IMO.
    I know what you’re saying, but at that time you had charismatic privateers and playboy drivers. The pay drivers now are driving for established teams and offer nothing. The guys you talk about brought entertainment to the sport, guys like Mazepin are just getting in the way and denying a drive to a more talented drivers. F1 has changed so much in the past 20 years and not always for the better, guys like Hamilton are unbelievably talented, but have zero personality.

United we stand here....

2. Log in to remove the advert

Good to see the driVers doing a parade lap at Monaco today, a chance for the ordinary fan to wave at them from the stern of their yachts.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Usual Monaco Sunday drive round the streets.

Good to see no mercs on the podium.

Pity Leclerc couldn’t start.

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post

Clearly the drivers and the F1 paddock love Monaco...I’m sure it’s great for the insiders and the connected.

As a spectator event for the TV audience it’s brutally boring.

Really think it’s time for it to either change or gtf. But as per the above I think there will be a lot of resistance to that from the vested interests that it suits just now.

Glad it’s out of the way and we can get onto the craziness of Baku!

@hibs.net private member Hibs Class's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Clearly the drivers and the F1 paddock love Monaco...I’m sure it’s great for the insiders and the connected.

Really think it’s time for it to either change or gtf. But as per the above I think there will be a lot of resistance to that from the vested interests that it suits just now.

I watched most of it, just reiterated how boring it was, but to be honest that’s pretty much how F1 is almost all the time....occasional bursts of excitement in a mostly monotonous predictable borefest.
    ​#PERSEVERED

Think for drivers it’s all about the qualification the race is pretty much a formality if nothing goes wrong. It’s where F1 shows it money a one big party weekend must be great if you can afford it.

Azerbaijan next time which can be a pretty good race.

I recorded it and watched it last night. Once the pit stops were out of the way it was a procession, I ended up fast forwarding it to the last 5 laps. I can’t see it being dropped due to the prestige that comes with it, but it’s the most boring race of the year.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I recorded it and watched it last night. Once the pit stops were out of the way it was a procession, I ended up fast forwarding it to the last 5 laps. I can’t see it being dropped due to the prestige that comes with it, but it’s the most boring race of the year.
    It's been terrible for years and I'm not sure how they could change it as they won't leave there luxury holiday. Perhaps time trials

Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post

Leclerc drives a decent first stint in Q3 and has provisional pole. The final stint he's way behind Verstappen and Bottas and they've only just gone through the first sector. The Ferrari crashes, stops the session and Ferrari take pole. The only thing that didn't go to plan was the damage to the gearbox. They deserved all they got.

Monaco, dull as the race is, is going to stay on the schedule. Far too much money and wheeling and dealing done with the sponsors high rollers.
    Space to let

Quote Originally Posted by Stairway 2 7 View Post
    It's been terrible for years and I'm not sure how they could change it as they won't leave there luxury holiday. Perhaps time trials
    There’s very little they can do, even a reverse grid wouldn’t make much difference. It can sometimes be an exciting race if it’s wet and we get a few crashes, but that’s pretty rare these days.

United we stand here....

Monaco highlights the worst of the current F1 issues. The cars can’t run close behind each other without overheating and wrecking tyres, and they’re so wide and long at the moment that the narrow track at Monaco means passing is virtually impossible.

I think it’s a bit of a pisstake that they run at about 3/4 speed to make the tyres last and no one tries to do anything about it, because it’s one of the big name weekends.

the powers-that-be keep making noises about making the cars easier to run close together and race, but nothing is changing in that regard at all.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    i see Max Mosley has died

Max Mosley: Privacy campaigner and ex-motorsport boss dies at 81 - BBC News
    Former motorsport boss Max Mosley, who later became a privacy campaigner, has died aged 81.

Ex-Formula 1 boss Bernie Ecclestone said it was "like losing a brother".

Mr Mosley, who had been suffering from cancer, led motorsport's governing body the FIA from 1993 to 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    Monaco highlights the worst of the current F1 issues. The cars can’t run close behind each other without overheating and wrecking tyres, and they’re so wide and long at the moment that the narrow track at Monaco means passing is virtually impossible.

I think it’s a bit of a pisstake that they run at about 3/4 speed to make the tyres last and no one tries to do anything about it, because it’s one of the big name weekends.

the powers-that-be keep making noises about making the cars easier to run close together and race, but nothing is changing in that regard at all.
    The reg changes next year (postponed by Covid from this year) are designed to address the issue with following closely.

Proof will be in the pudding of course as the teams are pretty cunning in finding new aero downforce...which in turn makes following difficult!

As for Monaco. You and others are correct I think, it’s a big thing for those in and around the F1 show so unlikely to be dropped.

But even so as a spectator sport I’m not sure they can continue to completely ignore the fact that for everyone else it’s a bit of a farce. Somehow they need to revise the track to at least allow the possibility of an overtake.

Liberty seem to be more open to accounting for the ‘show’ so maybe even precious Monaco might have to bend?

The reg changes next year (postponed by Covid from this year) are designed to address the issue with following closely.

Proof will be in the pudding of course as the teams are pretty cunning in finding new aero downforce...which in turn makes following difficult!

As for Monaco. You and others are correct I think, it’s a big thing for those in and around the F1 show so unlikely to be dropped.

But even so as a spectator sport I’m not sure they can continue to completely ignore the fact that for everyone else it’s a bit of a farce. Somehow they need to revise the track to at least allow the possibility of an overtake.

Liberty seem to be more open to accounting for the ‘show’ so maybe even precious Monaco might have to bend?

yeah I agree mate, the changes coming are expected to be a bit of a sea change, let’s hope for closer racing and overtaking

also agree about Monaco and Liberty, they seem to be more open to experimenting, and I think Monaco will at some point soon have to make some adjustments, even with their sacred cow status

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Not F1 obviously but looks like a full house watching the Indy 500. Great to see.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Baku is usually good. Looking forward to it.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    Baku is usually good. Looking forward to it.
    It’s been brilliant so far. If the race is anything like the practice and qualifying we’re in for a cracker.

United we stand here....

It’s been brilliant so far. If the race is anything like the practice and qualifying we’re in for a cracker.
    The most exciting qualifier ever?!?

Was superb and amazing that a qualifying session can be 100x more interesting than the previous race!

What a track Baku is. A serious challenge or what!

The most exciting qualifier ever?!?

Was superb and amazing that a qualifying session can be 100x more interesting than the previous race!

What a track Baku is. A serious challenge or what!
    It’s got to be up there. We could easily see a record amount of safety cars tomorrow.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I fancy a very exciting race tomorrow.

Gasly to win after another safety car and red flag strewn race.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

I fancy a very exciting race tomorrow.

Gasly to win after another safety car and red flag strewn race.
    It could easily be a case of who is passing the pit lane when a crash happens that wins it. My money is on Sainz if his car is ok after his crash today.

United we stand here....

That was a big shunt for Stroll there. It must have been terrifying at that speed.

United we stand here....

That's a shame.
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member bawheid's Avatar
    Somebody at Pirelli is getting sacked in the morning.

Well that didn’t disappoint. Hamilton had a mare on that restart.

United we stand here....

Absolutely delighted to see Seb getting his mojo back. F1 is better for him.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Well that didn’t disappoint. Hamilton had a mare on that restart.
    Brake bias switch stuffed Lewis…he’d actually done Perez on the restart.

Gotta love Pirelli tho…just when you think the race is done up pops a tyre failure to spice it up nicely!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blurry Face View Post
    Huge let off for Bottas there.
    Can hardly be upset with his drive after Hamilton’s brain fart.
    I’m not sure it is a let off; Perez showed how vital it is to have a number two driver who can mop up if your title challenger fails to score.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Pirelli have a lot of questions to answer after that.

Baku is fast becoming my favourite track. Always seems to provide a cracking race!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

I’m not sure it is a let off; Perez showed how vital it is to have a number two driver who can mop up if your title challenger fails to score.
    I’m beginning to wonder how patient Merc will be with Bottas.

He seems to be having more and more off days and clearly knows his card is marked.

I get they probably don’t want to upset their team dynamic just as Red Bull are starting to seriously challenge but none the less it does seem increasingly odd that they have a better driver pottering about in a Williams while their number 2 grumps his way from one underwhelming performance to another.