hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Hamilton on pole again by a large margin, he’s not my cup of tea, but he is without doubt the greatest formula one driver of all time. He’s seen off every rival he’s ever faced and he’s now reduced to making excuses for other drivers not being as quick as he is. GOAT there I said it, I I know people will disagree but I think it’s true.

United we stand here....

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member RyeSloan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hamilton on pole again by a large margin, he’s not my cup of tea, but he is without doubt the greatest formula one driver of all time. He’s seen off every rival he’s ever faced and he’s now reduced to making excuses for other drivers not being as quick as he is. GOAT there I said it, I I know people will disagree but I think it’s true.
    I’m inclined to agree.

I only wish that for next season before the reg changes we could see Verstappen in a Mercedes....that would be fun and help prove the point!

I like Spa. One of my favourite tracks when I'm playing my racing game!

There's no doubt Hamilton is a fantastic driver; the best driver will inevitably end up in the best car, its nearly always been the case. He's 'lucky' in that Mercedes have been the top car for so long. That's a wee bit unusual. I don't see party mode being phased out making a lot of difference to them either.

As for Ferrari. I'm sure I said on here at the time last seasons spectacular success was dubious to say the least and now whatever it was that resulted in the hush hush agreement isn't available to them they're not even also rans. Still the Ferrari Mafioso still have their veto so they've not lost everything.

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    I’m inclined to agree.

I only wish that for next season before the reg changes we could see Verstappen in a Mercedes....that would be fun and help prove the point!
    I think Mercedes are happy with Bottas being a solid number 2, they don’t want a repeat of the year where it was an all out war between Hamilton and Rosberg. As long as they’re winning the constructors title so easily they won’t rock the boat. Verstappen is the only driver who could challenge Hamilton right now.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I like Spa. One of my favourite tracks when I'm playing my racing game!

There's no doubt Hamilton is a fantastic driver; the best driver will inevitably end up in the best car, its nearly always been the case. He's 'lucky' in that Mercedes have been the top car for so long. That's a wee bit unusual. I don't see party mode being phased out making a lot of difference to them either.

As for Ferrari. I'm sure I said on here at the time last seasons spectacular success was dubious to say the least and now whatever it was that resulted in the hush hush agreement isn't available to them they're not even also rans. Still the Ferrari Mafioso still have their veto so they've not lost everything.
    The Ferrari success of last year is definitely dodgy, they were almost unbeatable for a few races then went back to being pretty mediocre again. I can’t help think that if that had been another team it wouldn’t have been kept so quiet, they were obviously caught cheating.

United we stand here....

I think Mercedes are happy with Bottas being a solid number 2, they don’t want a repeat of the year where it was an all out war between Hamilton and Rosberg. As long as they’re winning the constructors title so easily they won’t rock the boat. Verstappen is the only driver who could challenge Hamilton right now.
    Ahh yeah don’t get me wrong there is no chance, esp. for the reasons you have stated.

I was just musing that for fans it would be a massively entertaining tussle!

To see the clearly two best drivers on the grid, with one maybe the best ever, duelling it out in one of the fastest and best F1 cars ever built would be immense.

As for Ferrari...well everyone was suspicious last year when they suddenly made such a jump in their straight line speed. Only Ferrari would have managed to keep their cheating under wraps like they have done but wow are they getting their just deserts now!

The graphic doing the rounds in terms of the grid progression in lap times is almost unbelievable...they have went backwards by 1.5 seconds!

Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    Ahh yeah don’t get me wrong there is no chance, esp. for the reasons you have stated.

I was just musing that for fans it would be a massively entertaining tussle!

To see the clearly two best drivers on the grid, with one maybe the best ever, duelling it out in one of the fastest and best F1 cars ever built would be immense.

As for Ferrari...well everyone was suspicious last year when they suddenly made such a jump in their straight line speed. Only Ferrari would have managed to keep their cheating under wraps like they have done but wow are they getting their just deserts now!

The graphic doing the rounds in terms of the grid progression in lap times is almost unbelievable...they have went backwards by 1.5 seconds!
    I’d love to see Max in a Mercedes as well, hopefully with the new regulations for 2022 it will see the cars closer together.
    They showed a comparison on last seasons lap from Vettel and this season’s lap from Spa on a split screen and it’s miles behind compared to last year. Ferrari are the only team to be slower than last season.

United we stand here....

Fantastic interview with Vettel on sky F1. He comes across as such a good guy and a winner, it’s no wonder he’s a champion.

United we stand here....

On another point how much do we think Ferrari will cheat next week at Mugelo? I expect a marked improvement next week.

United we stand here....

Drama!
    Space to let

Interesting race now, god knows who will finish top 3, should make for good viewing now tho.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

There's no doubt Hamilton is a fantastic driver, but not sure if he's the best of all time TBH. There's a hell of a lot more Grand Prix than there was, so his stats look good but it's not really a fair comparison with the likes of Ayrton Senna, or going back further Jim Clark and Jackie Stewart. IMO when Clark was racing there were a lot more top class drivers taking him on, Hamilton really only has Vettel to worry about and that's it. That's not his fault though.

What a great race that was, delighted for Gasly and great to see different drivers and teams on the podium.

United we stand here....

Ahh that was a quality race!

Very rare mistake from Merc and some superb driving from Gasly to pace it out for the win.

Sainz was clearly gutted but some nice points for McLaren there...they could be interesting next season with a Merc engine in the back of their car.

As for Ferrari....well we keep hearing how important they are to F1 but must admit they were not missed in this race. Another abysmal performance from them.

Left by mutual consent!
    F1 isn't a particular favourite of mine but I tend to think of good drivers as good jockeys. Yes there is some natural skill but to be champions they need to drive/ride for top teams/trainers. Lose your job at the top and the guy who takes your place becomes champion, or is that too simplistic? Surely it doesn't matter how good a driver or a jockey you are, if you're in the best car or on the best horse you can't fail.
    If Celtic get 10 in a row is Lennon GOAT?

Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    F1 isn't a particular favourite of mine but I tend to think of good drivers as good jockeys. Yes there is some natural skill but to be champions they need to drive/ride for top teams/trainers. Lose your job at the top and the guy who takes your place becomes champion, or is that too simplistic? Surely it doesn't matter how good a driver or a jockey you are, if you're in the best car or on the best horse you can't fail.
    If Celtic get 10 in a row is Lennon GOAT?
    You have to remember that there’s two drivers in the team with the best car, Hamilton has the same car as Bottas and he always beats him. I don’t have the stats to hand, but I can only remember one occasion where he has lost out to a teammate over the course of the season. Yes Hamilton does have the best car, but the reason he has the best car is because he’s the best driver. If you put someone like Kyvat in Hamilton’s car he wouldn’t be as successful.

United we stand here....

Left by mutual consent!
    You have to remember that there’s two drivers in the team with the best car, Hamilton has the same car as Bottas and he always beats him. I don’t have the stats to hand, but I can only remember one occasion where he has lost out to a teammate over the course of the season. Yes Hamilton does have the best car, but the reason he has the best car is because he’s the best driver. If you put someone like Kyvat in Hamilton’s car he wouldn’t be as successful.
    In your opinion he wouldn't be so successful. As I said it's not my sport but I remain to be convinced it's any different from horse racing. By that I mean top stables turn good jockeys into champion jockeys.

In your opinion he wouldn't be so successful. As I said it's not my sport but I remain to be convinced it's any different from horse racing. By that I mean top stables turn good jockeys into champion jockeys.
    If it was all down to the car the two teammates would finish close together and have similar lap times, that rarely happens. Hamilton finishes miles ahead of Bottas every year, Verstappen is even further ahead of Albon with the same car. The list is endless where two drivers with the same car have very different outcomes.

United we stand here....

I consider hamilton up there with the very best, Schumacher, A Senna,Hunt,Clark,Piquet, Stewart, IMO he is the best British driver there has ever been, on the argument if putting anyone in the best car and they will win, as other have said since the new hybrid era LH has only lost 1 over the whole season, Gasly who just one this race in the alpha tauri was in the red bull last season, Vettel went from winning races in the best car to nothing after LH made the switch to Mercedes, I'd live to see Verstappen or le clerc or even Norris in the merc alongside LH, hopefully with the changes for next season we will see better more competitive racing

It’s an age old argument but the best drivers or jockeys get the best cars or horses....that’s the way it will always be.

But even when Hamilton didn’t have the best car he was still a stand out.

You could also argue that he didn’t have the best car for the last two seasons but still won...crushing his very handy team mate at the same time. The one and only time he has lost out to a team mate over a season was basically down to mechanical failures.

Then there is the longevity factor. Being the best and then staying the best are two different things.

Hamilton has also done some unbelievable things...a few of his pole laps for example have been laps that even his team didn’t believe possible. While his skills in the wet are maybe unparalleled and time and again prove that he is a cut above anyone.

Greatest of all time? Never easy to say but one of the greatest...absolutely and no amount of ‘best car’ chat will change that. A truly outstanding talent that has remained on the top of his game for year after year after year.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Hamilton has made that team great as he did with McLaren in his first couple of years.

Great drivers don’t just drive fast in the car they’re in, they make the entire team quicker. Greatest of all time? Don’t know. In contention? Without a shadow of a doubt. Today was one bad weekend but it was so jarring to watch it just goes to show how frighteningly consistent he is. He’s a machine.

So, so happy for Gasly today.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Perez leaving Racing Point.

Wonder who will replace him ;-)

Vettel confirmed

Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    Vettel confirmed
    No surprise there, I feel quite sorry for Perez.

United we stand here....

There's a few seats unconformed for next year but sadly I wouldnt be surprised if he ends up on the outside looking in.

That said, I believe he brings a lot of sponsorship money wherever he drives, so that might help him out

Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    Vettel confirmed
    Shame it wasn't this season and we would have found out how good he might have been at Mercedes!!!
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    I actually think that Lance Stroll has been more impressive than Perez this season and deserves to retain his seat. Vettel is a four time world champion who has been ground down by Ferrari (just like Kimi, Alonso, Massa and others) and if this move gives him his mojo back it could be an inspired signing.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    I actually think that Lance Stroll has been more impressive than Perez this season and deserves to retain his seat. Vettel is a four time world champion who has been ground down by Ferrari (just like Kimi, Alonso, Massa and others) and if this move gives him his mojo back it could be an inspired signing.
    Stroll would never have lost his seat even if he had been hopeless, but I agree he’s been pretty good this season. I also agree about Vettel and Ferrari, it just hasn’t worked for him.

United we stand here....

Utter carnage so far in the Tuscany Grand Prix. Down to 13 cars already after less than 6 corners actually raced.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

What's the chances of William's actually getting points today, knowing their luck they still wont get any