hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Formula 1

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar

Formula 1

I’m not sure if there’s ever been an F1 thread on here before so I thought I’d start one.
    Its the Austrian GP this week. A track that tends to favour cars with less power and a decent chassis. I’m a huge fan of Max Verstappen and I think he’ll win for a second race in a row. Mercedes will always be strong with Hamilton in the car, but I get the feeling the pendulum is starting to swing towards Red Bull, with Ferrari somewhere in the middle.
    Rain is forecast for the weekend which always makes for an exciting race and if it’s half as good as last week in Germany we’re in for a treat.

United we stand here....

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’m not sure if there’s ever been an F1 thread on here before so I thought I’d start one.
    Its the Austrian GP this week. A track that tends to favour cars with less power and a decent chassis. I’m a huge fan of Max Verstappen and I think he’ll win for a second race in a row. Mercedes will always be strong with Hamilton in the car, but I get the feeling the pendulum is starting to swing towards Red Bull, with Ferrari somewhere in the middle.
    Rain is forecast for the weekend which always makes for an exciting race and if it’s half as good as last week in Germany we’re in for a treat.

Isn't it the hungarian race this week?

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    Isn't it the hungarian race this week?
    Yes it is, I was watching the practice sessions as I typed it as well

United we stand here....

Qualifying is just about to start, but I’m off to the match so I won’t see it.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    Dutch fans letting off orange smoke. Max took pole.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    Lewis the Champion

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Used to love F1 when I was a kid couldn't sit and watch a full race now though.

Big fan.

Been to Silverstone a couple of times planning a long haul race for my 50rh in a couple of years.

I'm a fan but it feels like you have to wait 10 races that are over at the first corner to get one like last week.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudSquall View Post
    I'm a fan but it feels like you have to wait 10 races that are over at the first corner to get one like last week.
    Last 3 have been all very good not expecting much tomorrow but hopefully Max livens it up.

Quote Originally Posted by hibs#1 View Post
    Used to love F1 when I was a kid couldn't sit and watch a full race now though.
    You can't watch a full race now, British apart, unless you're prepared to pay a small fortune. Maybe paying through the nose focuses the mind!

And that's why audiences are declining for F1 and so many other sports.
    Space to let

I’m still on sky’s legacy package so get it for free always a hassle when negotiating a new deal as they try to move me away from it.

I love the technical side of the sport and probably prefer it to football nowadays.

Delighted for Max to get his first pole position and a great lap from George Russell in the Williams to get the car off the back row for the first time this season. Hopefully there will be some rain tomorrow as it can be difficult to pass in Hungary.

United we stand here....

I had high hopes for Bottas after his impressive performance at William's but he is going to struggle to keep that seat from Ocon now.

I had high hopes for Bottas after his impressive performance at William's but he is going to struggle to keep that seat from Ocon now.
    George Russell will be in with a shout for that seat as well.

United we stand here....

Fascinating race today without there being much overtaking. Ima a huge Verstappen fan and I’m gutted he didn’t get the win, but you have to hand it to Mercedes with that strategy call to bring Lewis in when they did and Lewis executed it like the champion he is. Ferrari where miles off the pace, but that wasn’t much of a surprise at a circuit that doesn’t favour their car. Another solid day for Maclaren and I think they’ll be back winning races next season. Disappointing races from Bottas and Gasly and I doubt either will retain their seats for next season.
    Its going to be fascinating second half to the season.

United we stand here....

Fascinating race today without there being much overtaking. Ima a huge Verstappen fan and I’m gutted he didn’t get the win, but you have to hand it to Mercedes with that strategy call to bring Lewis in when they did and Lewis executed it like the champion he is. Ferrari where miles off the pace, but that wasn’t much of a surprise at a circuit that doesn’t favour their car. Another solid day for Maclaren and I think they’ll be back winning races next season. Disappointing races from Bottas and Gasly and I doubt either will retain their seats for next season.
    Its going to be fascinating second half to the season.
    Really good feel for Max if the Ferraris were in the mix he would have won.

Bottas will go I reckon with Ocon coming in although apparently Renault are interested in him, Gasly is struggling but who do they bring in? Going to be interesting how it all pans out.

Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    Really good feel for Max if the Ferraris were in the mix he would have won.

Bottas will go I reckon with Ocon coming in although apparently Renault are interested in him, Gasly is struggling but who do they bring in? Going to be interesting how it all pans out.
    I think Albon will come in for Gasly, there’s a possibility the Kvyat could get another chance, but the fact that he’s already had a chance and failed makes that unlikely. Red Bull always seem to promote from their own driver programme and Albon seems the next in line, but he’s very inexperienced so I think they’ll wait until the end of the season before making the change. I feel a bit for Bottas and Gasly as they’re up against the two best drivers around right now. I have a feeling Russel might go to a bigger team and do well and he might get the Mercedes drive if Ocon goes to Renault.

United we stand here....

Gasly out Albon in.

Red bull at there ruthless best hopefully they won’t destroy 2 young drivers in a season.

Gasly out Albon in.

Red bull at there ruthless best hopefully they won’t destroy 2 young drivers in a season.
    They could well destroy 2 young drivers. Gasly was definitely ready and talented enough to make the step up, but for some reason it’s not worked for him at Red Bull. Albon is a talented young driver, but unlike Gasly he’s been outperformed by Kvyat and he’s got less experience than Gasly. It’s a big gamble for Red Bull. I’d have either continued with Gasly or given Kvyat another go until the end of the season, with a view to bringing in Albon next season.

United we stand here....

They could well destroy 2 young drivers. Gasly was definitely ready and talented enough to make the step up, but for some reason it’s not worked for him at Red Bull. Albon is a talented young driver, but unlike Gasly he’s been outperformed by Kvyat and he’s got less experience than Gasly. It’s a big gamble for Red Bull. I’d have either continued with Gasly or given Kvyat another go until the end of the season, with a view to bringing in Albon next season.
    I agree only logic may be that Kvyat has already had Red Bull experience so may be considered once they have tried Albon until the end of the season.

I would have given Kvyat the seat due to his experience giving them a better chance of finishing above Ferrari in the constructors.

Bet they wish the gave Danny Ric a better deal!

I agree only logic may be that Kvyat has already had Red Bull experience so may be considered once they have tried Albon until the end of the season.

I would have given Kvyat the seat due to his experience giving them a better chance of finishing above Ferrari in the constructors.

Bet they wish the gave Danny Ric a better deal!
    Kvyat is in the form of his life just now, the penny seems to finally have dropped for him. I agree about Danny Ric, they could be challenging for the constructors title if he’d stayed.

United we stand here....

F1 returns this weekend with the French Grand Prix at the visually stunning circuit Paul Ricard. The race was won last year by Lewis Hamilton who started on pole. Mercedes have looked vulnerable in the last few races as Red Bull have served it up to them led by the magnificent Max Verstappen. Max is now partnered by Alex Albon and it will be interesting to see how he gets on. There will no doubt be updates on all cars and that makes predictions difficult, but I’m hoping Verstappen can go well and reignite the championship race.

United we stand here....

F1 returns this weekend with the French Grand Prix at the visually stunning circuit Paul Ricard. The race was won last year by Lewis Hamilton who started on pole. Mercedes have looked vulnerable in the last few races as Red Bull have served it up to them led by the magnificent Max Verstappen. Max is now partnered by Alex Albon and it will be interesting to see how he gets on. There will no doubt be updates on all cars and that makes predictions difficult, but I’m hoping Verstappen can go well and reignite the championship race.
    Think I will watch the one at Spa. ;-)

Ferrari for the win hopefully

Think I will watch the one at Spa. ;-)

Ferrari for the win hopefully
    I get the venue wrong every time

United we stand here....

Bottas stays at merc for 2020 no real suprise.

Must mean Ocon has a seat somewhere possibly Renault which in turn leaves Hulkenberg looking elsewhere.

Must mean Ocon has a seat somewhere possibly Renault which in turn leaves Hulkenberg looking elsewhere.
    Yep Ocon confirmed for Renault.

Makes sense for Mercedes, Bottas isn't a threat to Hamilton but is good enough to ensure the constructors championship while Ocon picks up the experience needed for the Merc drive.

I know Hamilton has improved further in these years but given Bottas' performance against him if goes to show how good Rosberg was to compete with Hamilton given his critics.

Yep Ocon confirmed for Renault.

Makes sense for Mercedes, Bottas isn't a threat to Hamilton but is good enough to ensure the constructors championship while Ocon picks up the experience needed for the Merc drive.

I know Hamilton has improved further in these years but given Bottas' performance against him if goes to show how good Rosberg was to compete with Hamilton given his critics.
    Rosberg was an excellent driver and much more likeable than Hamilton. I wish he’d stayed on as a driver as the battle with Hamilton that year was epic. I’ve always been of the opinion that Hamilton is the best driver on the grid, but Rosberg had the arrogance to believe he could go head to head with Hamilton.

United we stand here....

If I’d reported this I’d have said Bottas was staying with Ferrari

United we stand here....

As an aside I feel really sorry for Hulkenburg. The guy is probably the best driver never to get a drive with a big team. I heard the fact that he’s quite tall and therefore a bit heavier than most drivers has worked against him.

United we stand here....