hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Stevie Fulton on Open Goal

Watching this the now, he's no looking any better.

Interesting insight but mostly I was surprised and a bit disappointed for him that he works as a labourer these days.

He was a decent player that you'd think could've been set for life. Could've been other factors of course but I'd have thought there was good money kicking about during his time, especially for a player like him. Would put him up against a Pat McGinley for us who I'd hope is able to put his feet up and look back with pride these days.

Shows how much a testimonial can mean for a player.

https://youtu.be/mtBvWAlmN-Y

So it does.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I was surprised he said when moving from
    Celtic to Hearts that they were known as the wee rangers, what honesty!

Do you know what I mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Do you know what I mean.

Jeez he's just gone on his "you know what I mean" spree, so he hus.

Left by mutual consent! Fife-Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer1875 View Post

Do you know what I mean.

That surprised me as well.

Were?

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KWJ View Post

Interesting insight but mostly I was surprised and a bit disappointed for him that he works as a labourer these days.

He was a decent player that you'd think could've been set for life. Could've been other factors of course but I'd have thought there was good money kicking about during his time, especially for a player like him. Would put him up against a Pat McGinley for us who I'd hope is able to put his feet up and look back with pride these days.

So it does.

Unfortunately plenty of players receive little education outside training, so leaves them poorly equipped for life after they hang up their boots.

If they can afford it, they can hire advisors to help them manage their wealth for the long term. Or do a Garry O’Connor.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rehabacrossthesea Wii Code: 4040
    Boy’s mockett.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Stevie....Did you really get booked for being ugly?

Ha Ha...but it was barry crack though eh!

What was Craig Levein like?.....Did he show you his medals?

What about the time he knocked oot big Hoggy ?

Ah brilliant crack though.....

Who was the Italian player Davey Hay said you were better than?

........Brilliant!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Unfortunately plenty of players receive little education outside training, so leaves them poorly equipped for life after they hang up their boots.

If they can afford it, they can hire advisors to help them manage their wealth for the long term. Or do a Garry O’Connor.
    And what education does the average school leaver/ worker get at the end of a shift.

Its called common sense.

no whit i mean, so we did.....

So it does.
    Something telling me Pat McGinley is a taxi driver now. Don't think the money was that life changing back then. Agree though. Fulton was a very decent player.

*just read he has a cleaning business
    Last edited by Since452; 01-08-2019 at 06:35 AM.

One thing all the ex pros mention was the upbringing. The rolockings, cleaning boots and the general upbringing back then. Every single one mentions how it made them the players they became.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHibs View Post
    One thing all the ex pros mention was the upbringing. The rolockings, cleaning boots and the general upbringing back then. Every single one mentions how it made them the players they became.
    Nostalgic old men.

It hasn’t done Ronaldo, Messi, Mbappe etc any harm not being part of the boot cleaning generation. Scottish football is just lower down the pecking order now than it was 20 years ago and that’s not because you don’t clean boots and sweep the stands at 15 year old anymore.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Something telling me Pat McGinley is a taxi driver now. Don't think the money was that life changing back then. Agree though. Fulton was a very decent player.

*just read he has a cleaning business
    Don't think the money is life changing for the vast majority of Scottish footballers even nowadays to be honest. Hibs players will get decent money compared to your average punter but hardly enough to set them up for life. If they fall into the trap of spending a chunk of it on flash motors and Saturday nights in George Street clubs then they'll retire from football no better off than your average punter.

@hibs.net private member
    Every single one
    I love a good .net fact.

Quote Originally Posted by gorgiegreens View Post
    And what education does the average school leaver/ worker get at the end of a shift.

Its called common sense.
    The average workers' shift isn't a couple of hours a day and see them retire in their thirties. It's a little more than common sense that's required. There's also plenty of opportunities these days for school leavers to gain more education.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Nostalgic old men.

It hasn’t done Ronaldo, Messi, Mbappe etc any harm not being part of the boot cleaning generation. Scottish football is just lower down the pecking order now than it was 20 years ago and that’s not because you don’t clean boots and sweep the stands at 15 year old anymore.
    The national team was much better 20-30 years ago.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    The national team was much better 20-30 years ago.
    Yup. But it was nothing to do with cleaning boots when they were laddies. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think it’s a bad idea. But it doesn’t change your ability as a footballer.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Yup. But it was nothing to do with cleaning boots when they were laddies. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think it’s a bad idea. But it doesn’t change your ability as a footballer.
    Hard to say. Sometimes I look at players like Harris, Shaw and Stanton and think having it a bit tougher might have helped there careers. Really can’t say. The old pros think that it helped them and was a good thing. I just notice that most his guests come on and say that about coming through as a youngster.

Hard to say. Sometimes I look at players like Harris, Shaw and Stanton and think having it a bit tougher might have helped there careers. Really can’t say. The old pros think that it helped them and was a good thing. I just notice that most his guests come on and say that about coming through as a youngster.
    I don't think Alex Harris could possibly have had it any tougher. Dad passed, horrible injury, bullied by Butcher.

I'm quite happy for this club to treat young players like human beings, let them flourish, rather than caveman stuff and giving them a hard time.

Shaw will do well in his career, Hibs or not.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    I don't think Alex Harris could possibly have had it any tougher. Dad passed, horrible injury, bullied by Butcher.

I'm quite happy for this club to treat young players like human beings, let them flourish, rather than caveman stuff and giving them a hard time.

Shaw will do well in his career, Hibs or not.
    Agreed, whenever I hear about people embracing the old ways of near enough bullying young men it makes me cringe.

The world doesn't work that way and neither should Football.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    The average workers' shift isn't a couple of hours a day and see them retire in their thirties. It's a little more than common sense that's required. There's also plenty of opportunities these days for school leavers to gain more education.
    They’re also not thrown into the media glare and given thousands of pounds a week.

United we stand here....

So it does.
    I'd be highly surprised if any Hearts/Hibs player from the mid 80's to mid 90's made enough dosh to currently be sitting with their feet up leading a life of leisure unless they were very, very savvy with their investments

Left by mutual consent!
    Forgotten all about the wasp chewer

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    To give Fulton his due, he always took the 'ugly' banter (including the infamous chant after he was booked, which was ridiculous) in very good humour.

Hard to imagine that these days, given the antics of both fans in recent games.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    To give Fulton his due, he always took the 'ugly' banter (including the infamous chant after he was booked, which was ridiculous) in very good humour.

Hard to imagine that these days, given the antics of both fans in recent games.
    He mentions that the Hibs fans hated him and gave him dogs abuse.

I really enjoyed the interview and tbh mainly due to the fact that he did take the abuse in such good humour, I've always had a wee bit of a soft spot for him and I'd be surprised if I was alone.

Very good player in his day too.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    He mentions that the Hibs fans hated him and gave him dogs abuse.

I really enjoyed the interview and tbh mainly due to the fact that he did take the abuse in such good humour, I've always had a wee bit of a soft spot for him and I'd be surprised if I was alone.

Very good player in his day too.
    He was, and he hurt us a few times over his career. Haven't watched the interview so was commenting purely from my own experiences of watching him in derby matches.

The one that he scored two in the first ten minutes in, when we were absolutely awful and heading for relegation under Duffy, is the most uncomfortable I've ever felt watching a game (at that point) - I really thought they were gonna match the 7-0 at that point. The fact that we battled back for a very unlikely draw probably hurt us ultimately, as it kept Duffy in a job for a bit longer. But it was a huge relief on the day.

Quote Originally Posted by allezsauzee View Post
    Don't think the money is life changing for the vast majority of Scottish footballers even nowadays to be honest. Hibs players will get decent money compared to your average punter but hardly enough to set them up for life. If they fall into the trap of spending a chunk of it on flash motors and Saturday nights in George Street clubs then they'll retire from football no better off than your average punter.
    I'd think Pat McGinley would be earned more for over his career than say Lewis Stevenson.

Could be wrong but teams were signing folk for 6 figures regularly back then so the wages shouldve reflected that.

Bosman maybe changed this. Players will receive more support from PFA now too you'd hope.

Maybe pat a bit early, someone like Stevie Crawford, Ian Murray, Robbie Winters or Eoin Jess. A good Scottish top flight player.

I've told this story a couple of times on this site but Steve Fulton was an absolute diamond of a guy when I met him.
    I'm a teacher and took my class down to Tynecastle for something back in 98. We weren't there to meet the players, but we saw them leave the changing room as we were being shown around. A few, David Weir etc were more than a little arrogant towards a bunch of kids, many of whom were Hearts fans and were saying 'hi' to their heroes. Fulton came out of the changing room, saw us, came back up to us and signed things for every child (and dad helper) who wanted something signed.
    It was a small act but he spoke nicely to the kids, and smiled at me when a few of them grassed me up for being a Hibs season ticket holder. He encouraged the kids and was as far removed from being a 'billy big time' as you could get.
    Total gent.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rehabacrossthesea Wii Code: 4040
    Quote Originally Posted by ei255 View Post
    forgotten all about the wasp chewer
    lol