hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 91 to 109 of 109
  1. #91
    @hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Chippenham/Bath
    Age
    38
    Posts
    5,431
    Quote Originally Posted by Fife-Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If our education standards are so good. Then why do we have people like Boris Johnson at the helm of our political pyramid?

    Remember, he was put there by 100,000+ tories, many of whom will have been educated at establishments considered Britains best.
    Cap doffing, inherited structure that the ruling classes do very well out of ďconservingĒ.

    ďA posh sounding guy said it with confidence, so it must be trueĒ.

    J


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #92
    First Team Breakthrough Cataplana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Skating on thin ice.
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just a quick one with apologies to the OP for the direction this is going.
    I'm glad your opinion wasn't directed at me because as I said you don't know me.
    My "brain dead brits" comment referred to those you can see daily across social media on political topics. Many of those responses display a breathtaking lack of understanding of the real world the rest of us live in. This is self evident surely? There's nothing particularly British about this. I'm pretty sure forums about USA politics will have a lot more. So I'll repeat...the question was about British politics, we know these half-wits exist in large numbers, so maybe they, as a section of the British public should share the blame for where we are.
    Please don't extrapolate this to "ex pat hates all Brits" because you would be very wrong.
    Have a good day.
    I always say the fact the English and Welsh did not have free secondary education until the 1950s explains a lot. They seem very easy to fool.

  4. #93
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9,565
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Iím comparing our education standards with the rest throughout the world, itís by no means the best, but itís far from the worst. I stand by my ex pats opinion, calling people brain dead Brits or similar is common amongst ex pats for some reason.
    I often wonder why folk from the UK are called ex pats when they've migrated/moved to another part of the world to live and work, and people coming to the UK are called migrants. It now seems to be the norm to be an ex pat if your from good old Blighty.

    Those poor economic "migrants" from the EU don't stand a chance.

    On the subject of the op. Two words, Cambridge analytica.

    The system is bought.
    Last edited by ronaldo7; 01-08-2019 at 08:53 AM.

  5. #94
    Coaching Staff Future17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    "Galactidos!"
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,693
    Quote Originally Posted by Fife-Hibee
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's not it at all. People say i'm wrong because they believe i'm wrong. Not because they've actually proven that i'm wrong with indisputable evidence. As long as there isn't indisputable evidence available, it's always open to opinion which is what I provide. Whether people agree with it or not.
    Indisputable evidence like the dictionary definitions of words you claim mean something else, but fail to try and define? Or are you not prepared to accept that those who compile dictionaries are qualified to do so?

    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As we are now in a position where we have an unelected Etonian Prime Minister leading a party that required to bribe the DUP with £1bn in order to form a government, as the country heads into a Brexit situation which was decided on an almost 50/50 decision, and with demonstable lies having been told through the campaign. A position where a man who has twice lost jobs for dishonesty, has been involved in threats to journalist, is now the Prime Minister. Where politicians are no longer held to account (e.g. breaking the ministerial code and yet not resigning for it), and where the elite continue to run over the top of everyone else - have we hit a point where we can safely say that politics in Britain is broken beyond repair?

    Even thinking about the European elections, we had the Brexit Party with NO policies getting voted in, and there's a good chance that should Bawjaws Johnston call a General Election, the Tories will cuddle up with the Brexit Party (still with no policies) to form a Government.

    There is no accountability on the face of things now, we seem to be in a position where people can do whatever they want, shamelessly, and come out smelling of roses. We have a position where Nigal bloody Farage is influential somehow.

    How do you even start fixing this situation?
    I used to work for the Electoral Commission and, from that perspective, I believe there are many things about our system of electing governments which could work better.

    I get the felling that the drive for increased franchise engagement over the past 5-10 years has been successful to an extent, as there does seem to be a new wave of people who engage with politics in a way they didnít before. I think what may be imperfect about that engagement is that it seems, on the face of it at least, to be more or less single-issue engagement (i.e. Brexit, Scottish independence etc.) In my (albeit limited) experience, some people donít engage beyond those topics or, if they do, they bring every discussion back to those topics as either the cause or solution to all other ills.

    Iím not sure of the reasons for that but, in some ways, I think social media and the accessibility of information (both true and false) has been as much of a curse as it has been a blessing. Not all that long ago, people would form their political opinions based, at least partly, on discussions with family, friends, work colleagues etc. Nobody had Google or Twitter in their hand during those discussions, so most of the opinions presented were based on personal experience, or anecdotal evidence from other acquaintances. I think that perhaps created a situation in which people formed opinions and then chose political parties which best matched those opinions based on the long-standing policies presented by those parties.

    In recent years, increased engagement seems to have led to a sizeable number of people joining political parties who would not have done so before. That, in turn, appears to have created a situation where the parties as entities are more beholden to single-issue lobbies than they were before. This seems to have happened in the Labour Party and, by proxy through UKIP and the Brexit Party, in the Conservatives as well.

    I worry about this as, for the majority of people in the UK, the standard of living is comfortable. Whilst that it the case and big, single-issue lobbies are so prominent, I doubt many of those people approach elections with issues like health, education, poverty, full employment, the environment, foreign policy etc. as their priority.

  6. #95
    Pun Lovin' Criminal Northernhibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    33
    Posts
    9,800
    One positive thing about Brexit (if not the only positive thing) is how it's shown how incompetent our politicians are. There's always been an air of competence (they've gotten this far in life so they must know something) but it's shown how much your background matters in life; if you were born wealthy and had a private education you're more likely to end up a politician, company director etc. no matter how incompetent or stupid you actually are.

    I truly hope that once things settle people begin to look for representatives who are there on merit and ability than anything else.


    Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

  7. #96
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    13,847
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I always say the fact the English and Welsh did not have free secondary education until the 1950s explains a lot. They seem very easy to fool.
    That sounds like rubbish, have you a Source?
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

  8. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I often wonder why folk from the UK are called ex pats when they've migrated/moved to another part of the world to live and work, and people coming to the UK are called migrants. It now seems to be the norm to be an ex pat if your from good old Blighty.

    Those poor economic "migrants" from the EU don't stand a chance.

    On the subject of the op. Two words, Cambridge analytica.

    The system is bought.
    Anyone who leaves their home country is an ex pat and when they arrive in a new country they become a migrant in their new country. Don't think the concept is exclusive to the uk

  9. #98
    ADMIN marinello59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    I still live in hope.
    Posts
    30,005
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone who leaves their home country is an ex pat and when they arrive in a new country they become a migrant in their new country. Don't think the concept is exclusive to the uk
    Aye, thatís about right. The term has been in common use as long as I can remember, Iím struggling to see why anyone would have a problem with it.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

  10. #99
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9,565
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone who leaves their home country is an ex pat and when they arrive in a new country they become a migrant in their new country. Don't think the concept is exclusive to the uk
    Seems simple doesn't it. I'm oft confused when the BBC are interviewing some bowling club captain on the Costa del sol about good old Blighty, and they introduce them as ex pats. Surely they've become migrants. 😊

    No biggie about the term being used, it's the consistency I look for.


    SCOTLAND CAN.

  11. #100
    @hibs.net private member Eaststand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eastside
    Age
    61
    Posts
    813
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why am I not surprised this thread has gone the way it has?

    The sooner this part of the forum is closed for good the better.
    Yep
    This can be a very good forum with lots of well thought out posts from some excellent posters.

    Isn't it sad that maybe 2 or 3 plums can bring any sensible posts to a sudden stop by posting absolute crap again and again :-(

    GGTTH

  12. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaststand View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep
    This can be a very good forum with lots of well thought out posts from some excellent posters.

    Isn't it sad that maybe 2 or 3 plums can bring any sensible posts to a sudden stop by posting absolute crap again and again :-(

    GGTTH


    This place is an absolute delight compared to the mind numbing pish on Twitter or Facebook. IF 2 or 3 plums as you call them are spoiling things for you then don't respond. That way you cut them out the conversation. I think there's a bandwagon starting to roll here which is a shame. As I said, compare this with a similar forum on Facebook to see what a decent forum this is.

  13. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seems simple doesn't it. I'm oft confused when the BBC are interviewing some bowling club captain on the Costa del sol about good old Blighty, and they introduce them as ex pats. Surely they've become migrants. 😊

    No biggie about the term being used, it's the consistency I look for.
    If they were being interviewed by a Spanish TV station they'd probably not introduce them as ex pats.

  14. #103
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9,565
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If they were being interviewed by a Spanish TV station they'd probably not introduce them as ex pats.
    It wouldn't be much of an interview from a Spanish perspective. 😊

    Anyway back on topic. 😆


    SCOTLAND CAN.

  15. #104
    First Team Breakthrough Cataplana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Skating on thin ice.
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That sounds like rubbish, have you a Source?
    I'm not your clerk, feel free to disprove it though.

    OK, just this once - what am I like?

    www.bbc.co.uk/schoolreport/25751787

    No need to thank me.
    Last edited by Cataplana; 01-08-2019 at 03:54 PM.

  16. #105
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Posts
    11,077
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seems simple doesn't it. I'm oft confused when the BBC are interviewing some bowling club captain on the Costa del sol about good old Blighty, and they introduce them as ex pats. Surely they've become migrants. 😊

    No biggie about the term being used, it's the consistency I look for.
    In regards to my relationship to the UK I'm an expat, in my relationship to Germany I'm a migrant. It's not really that complicated.

    If I moved back to the UK would I then become an exexpat?

  17. #106
    Coaching Staff Haymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Chatham, NJ, USA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    9,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Fife-Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...going_to_engla

    I'm sure there's people on here who would back you up anyway, even if they don't know themselves if it's true. Just to get one over on Fife-Hibee.
    Not getting one over you, I have nothing against you as a poster, however I do know sylar, and he does have that PhD.

  18. #107
    @hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Spinning a Yarn
    Posts
    13,847
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataplana View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not your clerk, feel free to disprove it though.

    OK, just this once - what am I like?

    www.bbc.co.uk/schoolreport/25751787

    No need to thank me.
    Never trust the BBC. FREE education was introduced in England in 1870, up to the age of 14. Someone needs to go back to school .

    http://www.spicker.uk/social-policy/education.htm
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

  19. #108
    First Team Breakthrough Cataplana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Skating on thin ice.
    Posts
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Never trust the BBC. FREE education was introduced in England in 1870, up to the age of 14. Someone needs to go back to school .

    Dear Sam Antics,

    http://www.spicker.uk/social-policy/education.htm
    How about The Guardian then?

    https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...r-policy-today

    Today we accept free primary and secondary education as a national birth-right. But pre-war, things were very different. Most pupils left school at 14. Butler's Act introduced compulsory education to 15, with a clause to raise it to 16; any fee-paying at state schools was forbidden; and church schools were brought into the national system.
    Kind of like what was considered secondary education, when I was at school. But, if you left at the age of 14, I guess it would explain a lot.

    I was hardly speaking rubbish, was I?
    Last edited by Cataplana; 02-08-2019 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Sorry, smilies weren't available on my phone, this was meant to be in light hearted vein.

  20. #109
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    9,565
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In regards to my relationship to the UK I'm an expat, in my relationship to Germany I'm a migrant. It's not really that complicated.

    If I moved back to the UK would I then become an exexpat?
    You're an exnat.

    Those from the middle east are pitta pats.

    Back on track pat


    SCOTLAND CAN.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved