hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think you’re right about the fourth seamer. The lack of a genuine top class spinner means that picking one is a bit of a waste, especially if they’re not getting runs either. Denly has looked good so far and he might be the way to go. I’m sure Archer will come in for the next test and possibly Plunket if Anderson doesn’t make it. I’m not convinced by Rashid in red ball cricket.
    Fair comment on Rashid in the longer game, the jury is still out.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    I always support England at cricket as long as they’re not playing Scotland. It’s different to other sports as we’re not really rivals. It would nice to think that one day Scotland would become a test side, but I’d still want England to do well. I think the fact that cricket commentators are the best and most impartial of any sport makes it easy to just sit and appreciate the days play.
    A few years ago I was watching England v Bangladesh early morning. My English cousin was staying with us and assumed I would be supporting Bangladesh; when I said I was neutral he asked why because "you always want England to lose at football". I replied that the difference was the media, the cricket commentators are fair and honest and not OTT and biased.

It’s a shame he’s struggling so badly just now as he’s very good when he’s on form with the bat and the ball. He’s really low on confidence at the moment and he doesn’t come across as someone who has a lot of belief in himself.
    There must be a decent off spinner kicking about in the county championship somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by ACLeith View Post
    A few years ago I was watching England v Bangladesh early morning. My English cousin was staying with us and assumed I would be supporting Bangladesh; when I said I was neutral he asked why because "you always want England to lose at football". I replied that the difference was the media, the cricket commentators are fair and honest and not OTT and biased.
    I would challenge anyone to listen to TMS or ABC, even if they didn’t like cricket and not come away thinking “That’s how sport should be covered”. I know cricket lends itself to commentary in a different way than more dynamic sports like football, but still!

Richie Benaud is a sad loss to cricket coverage but time moves on and the likes of Michael Atherton in particular has been an acute gain in the commentary box. Quietly knowledgeable and insightful.

With the Ashes we get the added benefit of Jim Maxwell, Glenn McGrath and Michael Slater. They obviously want Australia to do well but like you say it is fair, honest and unbiased.

I will give credit to Tuffers as well, he has been a great addition to the TMS team and does the down-to-earth stuff very well while providing good insights from a bowling perspective.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    What does Mo Ali bring to this team? His batting is terrible and his “off spin” isn’t much better. This England team are crying out for someone like Graham Swann.
    He is definitely low on confidence just now but when he is in form he adds a lot to the team. I’m actually not a huge fan but can see why England pick him.

As for who is kicking around in the Championship, I think England have far more options with seamers than spinners, as selection discussions probably show.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    There must be a decent off spinner kicking about in the county championship somewhere?
    Jack Leach was quite good during the winter tour, I don’t know if he’s fit or not though.

United we stand here....

It makes it much easier to sit and watch the game and enjoy it. I like how the sky coverage always has ex players from whoever England are playing as part of the team. That would never happen in football.

United we stand here....

Left by mutual consent!
    It makes it much easier to sit and watch the game and enjoy it. I like how the sky coverage always has ex players from whoever England are playing as part of the team. That would never happen in football.
    Good point. I agree with what everyone's saying about the balanced media coverage. Even in the World Cup final, when you could probably have forgiven the commentary teams for going mental at England's win, they remained very respectful of both sides - and rightly so.

What is also worth pointing out though, I feel, is that it's not just the English commentators who are utterly partisan when covering the England football team. The Scottish 'commentators' are as bad. Fans with microphones basically. The difference is that because England regularly qualify for major tournaments the coverage is more in your face whereas because Scotland haven't done so for so many years it's not something we're subjected to very often.

I often think that many football commentary teams bring so little insight to a match and offer nothing that you can't see for yourself that I would prefer to watch games without commentary. Cricket, on the other hand, is very much enhanced by expert commentary - so much so that it can even be pleasurable to listen to on the radio!!

Same on the radio. You are watching or listening and suddenly Waqir Younis, or Michael Holding or Russel Arnold pops up and it is a pleasure to hear an experienced Test player who has knowledge of their own team and is articulate and able to speak to camera or microphone.

I wholly expect the Australian legislature to introduce a law that all children born within the realm of the Australian state, male, female or transgender, be named Steve Smith.

Anyhting less would be a failure of civic duty.

Would it be in England's interests to keep Australia batting as long as possible now? With a chance of rain tomorrow is trying to bat for the least amount of time and playing for the draw the right tactic from this position?
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    Good point. I agree with what everyone's saying about the balanced media coverage. Even in the World Cup final, when you could probably have forgiven the commentary teams for going mental at England's win, they remained very respectful of both sides - and rightly so.

What is also worth pointing out though, I feel, is that it's not just the English commentators who are utterly partisan when covering the England football team. The Scottish 'commentators' are as bad. Fans with microphones basically. The difference is that because England regularly qualify for major tournaments the coverage is more in your face whereas because Scotland haven't done so for so many years it's not something we're subjected to very often.

I often think that many football commentary teams bring so little insight to a match and offer nothing that you can't see for yourself that I would prefer to watch games without commentary. Cricket, on the other hand, is very much enhanced by expert commentary - so much so that it can even be pleasurable to listen to on the radio!!
    The problem we have in this country that other countries don’t have is we have to listen to our main rivals commentary and pre and post match analysis. That wouldn’t happen in other countries, I’ve always thought a Scottish based show in major championships would reduce the hostility a fair bit.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    Same on the radio. You are watching or listening and suddenly Waqir Younis, or Michael Holding or Russel Arnold pops up and it is a pleasure to hear an experienced Test player who has knowledge of their own team and is articulate and able to speak to camera or microphone.
    Michael Holding is my favourite. You mentioned Richie Benaud earlier and he was undoubtedly the best there’s been.

United we stand here....

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Would it be in England's interests to keep Australia batting as long as possible now? With a chance of rain tomorrow is trying to bat for the least amount of time and playing for the draw the right tactic from this position?
    Australia will most likely bat for another hour and bowl at England's openers for an hour tonight. If they can take a couple of wickets then they will have to bat out 90 overs tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergey View Post
    Australia will most likely bat for another hour and bowl at England's openers for an hour tonight. If they can take a couple of wickets then they will have to bat out 90 overs tomorrow.
    Agreed, they’ll definitely want to have a go at England tonight. A bit of pace to begin with then Lyons will be brought on to take advantage of those rough patches.

United we stand here....

Australia are scoring at will now.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Australia will want to up the score rate and give their bowlers time. Winning at Edgbaston is a huge psychological advantage for them. This is England’s bastion.

But you make a good point and yes, England might have thought that way. Australia will be live to it and they face the difficult decision about making a declaration which allows them enough time to take ten wickets and gives them enough space to defend their lead.

I think Australia have probably done enough now.

But like you say, the weather can intervene. For me, Australia have the moral victory in this game, and have faced England down at Edgbaston. Regardless of the final result it is no longer the fortress it was and that is not good news for England.

Ali with one of the worst deliveries in ashes history. I really feel for him now, he seems like such a decent man.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    I would challenge anyone to listen to TMS or ABC, even if they didn’t like cricket and not come away thinking “That’s how sport should be covered”. I know cricket lends itself to commentary in a different way than more dynamic sports like football, but still!

Richie Benaud is a sad loss to cricket coverage but time moves on and the likes of Michael Atherton in particular has been an acute gain in the commentary box. Quietly knowledgeable and insightful.

With the Ashes we get the added benefit of Jim Maxwell, Glenn McGrath and Michael Slater. They obviously want Australia to do well but like you say it is fair, honest and unbiased.

I will give credit to Tuffers as well, he has been a great addition to the TMS team and does the down-to-earth stuff very well while providing good insights from a bowling perspective.
    The only one I would ditch is Boycott. Deliberately aggressive and argumentative. He talked about Trueman and Statham at one point - ye gads they were great 50 years ago. Then he beat that by mentioning Herbert Sutclffe!

He's to modern cricket commentary as Peter Allis is to golf 😱

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Only one result happening now unless the weather takes a turn for the worst. England need to find a way to get Steve Smith out or they will lose the series

The only one I would ditch is Boycott. Deliberately aggressive and argumentative. He talked about Trueman and Statham at one point - ye gads they were great 50 years ago. Then he beat that by mentioning Herbert Sutclffe!

Boycott is awful but has gigs with Sky and BBC! How does that work?!

Cricket has changed so much in the last five years, let alone the last ten.

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Only one result happening now unless the weather takes a turn for the worst. England need to find a way to get Steve Smith out or they will lose the series

And Warner will find runs. So will Bancroft and Wade.

Left by mutual consent!

Boycott is awful but has gigs with Sky and BBC! How does that work?!

Cricket has changed so much in the last five years, let alone the last ten.
    I actually don't mind, Boycott as I think he's fairly harmless (his ex-wife may argue that fact) and he knows the game as well as anyone.

TMS - where does one start as it's an Institution? I listened for most of the day and there was an absolute belter of a comment with Tufnell when a pigeon in his garden had died. It had been an ongoing story for a few days and it was simply classic radio that Marconi would have been proud of. Blowers - CMJ - Agnew now at the helm with great contributors, especially the guy who struts out the stats (whose name has escaped me).

These long broadcasts with very little action to actually commentate on is a real skill. Cycling is another sport where not a lot can happen and they have to 'space fill' in the broadcast. Carlton Kirby on Eurosport is another who can waffle on about the most bizarre range of topics that has absolutely nothing to do with sport. Fantastic to listen to and someone who would be an addition to the TMS team...unfortunately cycling is his sport (he also does some winter sports when the cycling season is closed).

Tomorrow - I'm ambivalent as I laid England last night when they were odds-on and they can't now win so I'm quids in. 560 balls to face is a huge ask and I've got a feeling that Australia can take the 10 wickets. I'm at an antique auction tomorrow afternoon and will miss it but will check my phone for updates and catch the highlights in the evening.

Australia will want to up the score rate and give their bowlers time. Winning at Edgbaston is a huge psychological advantage for them. This is England’s bastion.

But you make a good point and yes, England might have thought that way. Australia will be live to it and they face the difficult decision about making a declaration which allows them enough time to take ten wickets and gives them enough space to defend their lead.

I think Australia have probably done enough now.

But like you say, the weather can intervene. For me, Australia have the moral victory in this game, and have faced England down at Edgbaston. Regardless of the final result it is no longer the fortress it was and that is not good news for England.
    Yeah but James Anderson got injured after 4 overs that helps a lot

It certainly did, those four overs were superbly tight bowling.

I guess an Australian would challenge whether England would have won the Ashes in 2005 had Glenn McGrath not got injured warming up!
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 05-08-2019 at 09:56 AM.

It certainly did, those four overs were superbly tight bowling.

I guess an Australian would challenge whether England would have won the Ashes in 2005 had Glenn McGrath not got injured warming up!
    Yeah I know what your saying but McGrath got injured before the game England have effectively being playing with 10 men.

@hibs.net private member BigKev's Avatar
    Great start for the Aussies. 19/1.

This will be a good test for Root. Let's see if he can carry England "Smith" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergey View Post
    I actually don't mind, Boycott as I think he's fairly harmless (his ex-wife may argue that fact) and he knows the game as well as anyone.

TMS - where does one start as it's an Institution? I listened for most of the day and there was an absolute belter of a comment with Tufnell when a pigeon in his garden had died. It had been an ongoing story for a few days and it was simply classic radio that Marconi would have been proud of. Blowers - CMJ - Agnew now at the helm with great contributors, especially the guy who struts out the stats (whose name has escaped me).

These long broadcasts with very little action to actually commentate on is a real skill. Cycling is another sport where not a lot can happen and they have to 'space fill' in the broadcast. Carlton Kirby on Eurosport is another who can waffle on about the most bizarre range of topics that has absolutely nothing to do with sport. Fantastic to listen to and someone who would be an addition to the TMS team...unfortunately cycling is his sport (he also does some winter sports when the cycling season is closed).

Tomorrow - I'm ambivalent as I laid England last night when they were odds-on and they can't now win so I'm quids in. 560 balls to face is a huge ask and I've got a feeling that Australia can take the 10 wickets. I'm at an antique auction tomorrow afternoon and will miss it but will check my phone for updates and catch the highlights in the evening.
    Boycott's like some mad old uncle that the rest of the TMS family (mostly) gently rip the pish out of. Graeme Swann does a brilliant impersonation and Aggers can be hilarious with him. There was a sequence the other day where they were discussing a 327 ball century Boycott had made against Leicestershire that was priceless.

I was going to make the same point.

Roy out trying to charge Lyon. Dear oh dear. I think it's fair to say the experiment of Roy as test opener hasn't gone too well so far. Will he learn from it?