hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    England have bowled well in this first session so far.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Oh no, Anderson is off to get his calf scanned. Potential disaster for England.

Aussies have rallied to 98/3.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Australia now 105/5, England are bowling well Woakes has 3 wickets.

United we stand here....

Woakes and Broad put England back on top.

112/6 - Smith still rock-like on 37no

As I type, another one down. 112/7

Mibbes Aye's hospitality day looking slightly shaky at this rate.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Smith still there, but he’s running out of partners.

United we stand here....

Cummins goes now lbw to Stokes.
    122/8

United we stand here....

Smith and Siddle digging in - 209/8

Need to get Broad & Woakes back on sharpish.

Something about Smith really annoys me but, he's a cracking player.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar

I have to confess I was in a state of mild panic a few hours ago. Slightly more reassured now.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Such drama at Edgbaston!

Maybe exacerbated by some very iffy umpiring. Almost always, DRS or ‘what if’ DRS shows the umpires getting it right, but today was a shocker! I saw at least two Broad wickets that would have been overturned on review, had Australia reviewed them.

There were also some poor reviews. England used up one at the start and one at the end where the ball was clearly missing the stumps. It happens, but not often. I wonder if the excitement and tension was getting to both sides and the umpires.

England made a great start and probably had an even better second session. 83-3 for lunch, and eight down for 150 odds at tea IIRC, Smith and Head being the only ones to steady the ship.

What a resurgence from Australia though. Smith’s innings will go into Ashes folklore, worthy in its own right as a one-man tour de force but reinforced by the circumstances of it being his Test return in the most hostile environment England can conjure up.

That is not to dismiss the input of Head, Siddle and Lyon though. Siddle in particular was critical to Australia saving something. He is a wily old bowler but has obviously learnt to bat a bit in English conditions from his time in the County Championship - I think he averaged in the thirties with Essex. Nathan Lyon was perfect, playing a straight bat to allow Smith to push the score on but also hitting a few sweet boundaries himself.

But for Australia, it was all about the skipper. In his last five innings against England, his batting average is a ridiculous, superlative, extraordinary, crazy 161!!

In his last five on English soil his average is 61.2, which sounds like a steep decline until you remember that averaging in the sixties is bordering on superhuman to begin with!

As for England, Broad will be overshadowed by Smith but took a great 5-86 including key wickets at the start. He also achieved 100 Test wickets against Australia, with Steve Smith for his century, which is a remarkable achievement. I’m not actually sure who has all achieved that, probably more likely to be modern-day bowlers given the increased number of Tests compared to decades ago. I will try and find out but Muralitharan, maybe Kumble, maybe even Jimmy Anderson in fact, seem plausible candidates if there are any.

If Broad was overshadowed by Smith he is also overshadowed by Jimmy Anderson and his calf strain. Anderson’s figures after his last over today were 4-3-1-0. You can’t replace that, and while Stone, Wood and Archer all have very good qualities, if Anderson is out for the series then it represents a massive advantage for Australia. As far as this game goes they need to capitalise on it, a win at Edgbaston is psychologically huge, especially given Lord’s is usually a happy hunting ground.

Fantastic and enthralling day today at Edgbaston and through nothing other than sheer self-interest I was praying for rain until Smith decided to go on his Nietzschean odyssey and show that in team sports, the collective is crucial but every so often one person can rise above everything and everyone else and shape what is around them.

Though Peter Siddle was magnificent too, I’m looking forward to seeing him bowl
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

I am intrigued by the stat about bowlers who have taken 100 Australian Test wickets (see above).

Despite my best attempts with Google, there doesn’t appear to be an obvious source.

Fortunately, Statsguru on ESPNCricinfo is a wealth of knowledge and information. I haven’t found a way of making a search with that criterion alone, but you can go into player histories and on the basis that you would have to take a lot of wickets generally to have one hundred Aussies, I started at the top.

Jimmy Anderson makes it, as does Kumble. Surprisingly Mura doesn’t. Courtney Walsh does too, can’t believe I never thought of him at first.

I suspect Curtly might and there’s a chance that the likes of Pollock or Donald from SAF may do too. A little less hope for Wasim and Waqir and then I think we are getting to a point in time where there simply weren’t enough matches played to generate the wickets - though I won’t rule out Richard Hadlee and Kapil Dev until I’ve checked their stats.

This is what cricket reduces a man to
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 02-08-2019 at 01:12 AM.

I would imagine Botham would be in there.

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    Such drama at Edgbaston!

Maybe exacerbated by some very iffy umpiring. Almost always, DRS or ‘what if’ DRS shows the umpires getting it right, but today was a shocker! I saw at least two Broad wickets that would have been overturned on review, had Australia reviewed them.

There were also some poor reviews. England used up one at the start and one at the end where the ball was clearly missing the stumps. It happens, but not often. I wonder if the excitement and tension was getting to both sides and the umpires.

England made a great start and probably had an even better second session. 83-3 for lunch, and eight down for 150 odds at tea IIRC, Smith and Head being the only ones to steady the ship.

What a resurgence from Australia though. Smith’s innings will go into Ashes folklore, worthy in its own right as a one-man tour de force but reinforced by the circumstances of it being his Test return in the most hostile environment England can conjure up.

That is not to dismiss the input of Head, Siddle and Lyon though. Siddle in particular was critical to Australia saving something. He is a wily old bowler but has obviously learnt to bat a bit in English conditions from his time in the County Championship - I think he averaged in the thirties with Essex. Nathan Lyon was perfect, playing a straight bat to allow Smith to push the score on but also hitting a few sweet boundaries himself.

But for Australia, it was all about the skipper. In his last five innings against England, his batting average is a ridiculous, superlative, extraordinary, crazy 161!!

In his last five on English soil his average is 61.2, which sounds like a steep decline until you remember that averaging in the sixties is bordering on superhuman to begin with!

As for England, Broad will be overshadowed by Smith but took a great 5-86 including key wickets at the start. He also achieved 100 Test wickets against Australia, with Steve Smith for his century, which is a remarkable achievement. I’m not actually sure who has all achieved that, probably more likely to be modern-day bowlers given the increased number of Tests compared to decades ago. I will try and find out but Muralitharan, maybe Kumble, maybe even Jimmy Anderson in fact, seem plausible candidates if there are any.

If Broad was overshadowed by Smith he is also overshadowed by Jimmy Anderson and his calf strain. Anderson’s figures after his last over today were 4-3-1-0. You can’t replace that, and while Stone, Wood and Archer all have very good qualities, if Anderson is out for the series then it represents a massive advantage for Australia. As far as this game goes they need to capitalise on it, a win at Edgbaston is psychologically huge, especially given Lord’s is usually a happy hunting ground.

Fantastic and enthralling day today at Edgbaston and through nothing other than sheer self-interest I was praying for rain until Smith decided to go on his Nietzschean odyssey and show that in team sports, the collective is crucial but every so often one person can rise above everything and everyone else and shape what is around them.

Though Peter Siddle was magnificent too, I’m looking forward to seeing him bowl
    Fantastic review MA! I think you should start a "This is how it feels" thread about the series!

Was surprised England got to the close without losing a wicket!

I am intrigued by the stat about bowlers who have taken 100 Australian Test wickets (see above).

Despite my best attempts with Google, there doesn’t appear to be an obvious source.

Fortunately, Statsguru on ESPNCricinfo is a wealth of knowledge and information. I haven’t found a way of making a search with that criterion alone, but you can go into player histories and on the basis that you would have to take a lot of wickets generally to have one hundred Aussies, I started at the top.

Jimmy Anderson makes it, as does Kumble. Surprisingly Mura doesn’t. Courtney Walsh does too, can’t believe I never thought of him at first.

I suspect Curtly might and there’s a chance that the likes of Pollock or Donald from SAF may do too. A little less hope for Wasim and Waqir and then I think we are getting to a point in time where there simply weren’t enough matches played to generate the wickets - though I won’t rule out Richard Hadlee and Kapil Dev until I’ve checked their stats.

This is what cricket reduces a man to
    This should be it ...

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...s;type=bowling

IT Botham (ENG) 1977-1989 148
    CA Walsh (WI) 1984-2001 135
    Sir RJ Hadlee (NZ) 1973-1990 130
    CEL Ambrose (WI) 1988-1999 128
    RGD Willis (ENG) 1971-1983 128
    A Kumble (INDIA) 1996-2008 111
    W Rhodes (ENG) 1899-1926 109
    SF Barnes (ENG) 1901-1912 106
    DL Underwood (ENG) 1968-1980 105
    JM Anderson (ENG) 2006-2019 104
    AV Bedser (ENG) 1946-1954 104
    LR Gibbs (WI) 1961-1976 103
    R Peel (ENG) 1884-1896 101
    SCJ Broad (ENG) 2009-2019 100
    Last edited by JeMeSouviens; 02-08-2019 at 10:32 AM.

England are 31/1, Roy out for 10 to a good ball by all accounts.

Burns looking much better than v Ireland according to the commentators, 15no.

Root gets a life as he survives a review for caught behind. The ball missed his bat but clipped the stumps on the way through. The bails jumped but didn't come off!

54/1

The ball is turning for Nathan Lyon. On day 2! Him and Moeen could well have a big say in the game.

Injury news - Jimmy Anderson will bat but no decision taken on whether he will bowl in the 2nd innings.

59/1

100 partnership between Burns & Root.

Canny play and a bit of luck - 122/1

Root out for 57, c&b Siddle. 154/2

I'm enjoying the cricket but one thing is annoying and confusing me.

Have cricketers always had numbers on their tops? I'm sure it must be a new thing. Also what do they mean?
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I'm enjoying the cricket but one thing is annoying and confusing me.

Have cricketers always had numbers on their tops? I'm sure it must be a new thing. Also what do they mean?
    They usually do in one day or T20. This is the first time in a test match.

They don't really mean anything, it's just a way for the crowd to recognise who's who.

I only just noticed Root has 66 - clever.

I enjoyed that today. Watched a bit when I was meant to be working, watched a bit with an old English guy when I nipped to the pub for 40 minutes at lunchtime (proper test match. Attritional and bloody hard work was his assessment) then watched a bit with my Grandad tonight.

Looking forward to watching a fair bit before and after the football tomorrow. I can see why people get hooked on cricket.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Finish work early on a Friday and managed to watch from about 2:30 onwards. Proper test match stuff today, not just like 4 one day internationals tagged together. Chuffed for Burns to make a ton and carry his bat, great effort and that requires amazing levels of concentration. All in all a good days cricket

This should be it ...

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...s;type=bowling

IT Botham (ENG) 1977-1989 148
    CA Walsh (WI) 1984-2001 135
    Sir RJ Hadlee (NZ) 1973-1990 130
    CEL Ambrose (WI) 1988-1999 128
    RGD Willis (ENG) 1971-1983 128
    A Kumble (INDIA) 1996-2008 111
    W Rhodes (ENG) 1899-1926 109
    SF Barnes (ENG) 1901-1912 106
    DL Underwood (ENG) 1968-1980 105
    JM Anderson (ENG) 2006-2019 104
    AV Bedser (ENG) 1946-1954 104
    LR Gibbs (WI) 1961-1976 103
    R Peel (ENG) 1884-1896 101
    SCJ Broad (ENG) 2009-2019 100
    Well done that man.

I wouldn’t have an earthly about the turn of the century bowlers but I feel stupid for forgetting the likes of Bob Willis, Derek Underwood and Beefy.

In their time they definitely ended up playing less Tests than current players do but they would have played the regular Ashes series, which often weren’t just five matches but often six.

With a lengthy career like they all had then it is no surprise they got a lot of wickets. I suspect the percentage of appearances against Australia in their Test careers was a fair bit higher for them than current players (though the format of the Ashes means it will still be high for both sides).

Fantastic innings from Burns today, he rode his luck at times, but every batsman who makes a big score does. Still a lot of batting in that England team, they’ve got to be looking at 400 now.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by ACLeith View Post
    Fantastic review MA! I think you should start a "This is how it feels" thread about the series!

Was surprised England got to the close without losing a wicket!
    That’s kind, cheers. I won’t match Jonnyboy’s quality but I will try to offer up something for each day. It will be variable though . Today was a drive down to Birmingham so I have been pretty reliant on TMS. Tomorrow I’m at the game but a comp bar means that the quality of my interpretation of the game will start high and rapidly descend (or who knows, maybe improve?)

That’s kind, cheers. I won’t match Jonnyboy’s quality but I will try to offer up something for each day. It will be variable though . Today was a drive down to Birmingham so I have been pretty reliant on TMS. Tomorrow I’m at the game but a comp bar means that the quality of my interpretation of the game will start high and rapidly descend (or who knows, maybe improve?)
    God help us

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I enjoyed that today. Watched a bit when I was meant to be working, watched a bit with an old English guy when I nipped to the pub for 40 minutes at lunchtime (proper test match. Attritional and bloody hard work was his assessment) then watched a bit with my Grandad tonight.

Looking forward to watching a fair bit before and after the football tomorrow. I can see why people get hooked on cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Finish work early on a Friday and managed to watch from about 2:30 onwards. Proper test match stuff today, not just like 4 one day internationals tagged together. Chuffed for Burns to make a ton and carry his bat, great effort and that requires amazing levels of concentration. All in all a good days cricket
    Wholeheartedly agree with both posts. I caught most of today’s play on TMS, as I have been in the car heading down to Brum, but TMS is always a sophisticated guide.

Thursday was amazing cricket, explosive bowling followed by single, bloody-minded batsmanship, all in one day. I enjoyed every minute of it.

Today was the utter opposite. Test cricket as a game of cat-and-mouse, patience, niggling away, trying to apply pressure, trying to alleviate pressure. I enjoyed every minute of it.

If you want explosives you will get that from T20 and fifty-overs. You will also get it occasionally in Test cricket. But if you want chess then you only get that from Test matches, it is a remarkable combination of strategy, thinking, skill, experience and sheer bloody luck. Affected by the slightest change in weather conditions, God I love it

So, to the game itself. Joe Root answered the question and posted a decent score at three, coming in and needing to do so, facing a pretty good attack on a pitch at the time was offering something, even if it flattened. It is hard to see how he cannot continue at three now, which makes the most sense for England.

They still have to sort out one and two (will turn to Burns shortly), but once that is settled they can look at a middle order of Roy, Stokes, Bairstow and Buttler, and still know that Woakes and Moeen and Curran can throw the bat a bit.

As for Rory Burns, he had a point to prove, a point he needed to prove and I guess he proved it, congratulations to him. Making a maiden century for your team is a massive accomplishment and one he will always carry with him.

I listened to the patch where he was in the nineties, I think he faced 35 or 36 balls from being on 90 to making his century and that must have been excoriating. He did it though, and he has had a hard time and faced a fair amount of criticism, so well done IMO.

Before this game started I was hoping both teams might go with an extra paceman. It is fair to say I called that one wrong! The pitch has been prepared as a bit of a deadener and has been offering something to the spinners for a while.

Gamble for England as Moeen can capitalise on a pitch like this but Nathan Lyon will be relishing what’s on offer in a second innings. That all depends on Australia doing work early on Saturday and giving themselves a chance to bat - if they don’t then England will set a lead and the Aussies will be on the back foot, with almost all their top order under pressure having failed in the first innings.

But England will be bowling without Jimmy Anderson probably? Big asks for Broad, Stokes and Woakes.

This is why I love Test cricket. Halfway through the first day I was panicking that coming down on the Saturday was a waste or a limited experience. Cricket turns on very slight margins and all of a sudden Saturday becomes a pivotal day.

Unless it rains

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    God help us
    If I try and post on the Holy Ground please stop me

Birmingham weather update - actually quite cool and slightly overcast just now but with a feeling that it will get a lot warmer very soon, but retain the mugginess. In other words, good bowling weather.

I think we might see see some showers at some point though but hopefully nothing to hold up play to any great degree.

Critical morning session coming up. Can Australia take the early wickets they desperately need? Can England push on and set a first innings total that makes it their game to lose? We shall find out!