hibs.net Messageboard

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    And so today ends. Bad light stopped play and I understand Tim Paine was furious because the umpires had offered to let him play spinners at both ends before ruling it out, and this following in from Hazlewood being on fire. He finished up on 4-48 with an average of just over two an over. He really is the successor to Glenn McGrath when it comes to Ashes tours and while no one is likely to ever outdo Glenn, Hazlewood is utterly compelling to watch in having that similar command of line and length, just clipping the top of off stump, over and over and over again.

Lyon bowled a lot of overs and it is just not happening for him. While I love cricket I do not confess to be an expert, especially on bowling, but I thought his length was maybe just a touch short, though his economy rate was alright. I fully expect him to produce the goods tomorrow as the pitch was offering him a lot. Pat Cummins was exemplary especially either side of tea and was also bowling ridiculously tight overs. Funnily enough, the discussion about a potential Paine succession that I floated on here on Wednesday was replicated in the Guardian’s live updates thread today. Pat Cummins was being touted although there is a certain amount of orthodoxy and conservatism in cricket that says the skipper should be a batsman who fields in the slips.

As for England, Burns and Root were patient and had started building a very successful partnership before Josh Hazlewood broke through. They bo5h, along with Stokes and Roy, produced some lovely shots and I think this is a pitch that still offers something for everyone, although it is shifting to the bowlers for sure.

Day three ended with Australia definitely in the driving seat. Two clear days of weather predicted, their seamers bowling very well, and a pitch that is only going to increasingly suit Gazza. I think I am going to be present to see the Australians retain the Ashes on English soil for the first time since 2001.

What was quite funny was that despite Australia’s unhappiness at the bad light call, within minutes of stumps it was raining enough to ensure they would have had to go off. Manchester is a fascinating weather climate. It always looks on the verge of chucking it down but has actually resisted it well over the last couple of days.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And so today ends. Bad light stopped play and I understand Tim Paine was furious because the umpires had offered to let him play spinners at both ends before ruling it out, and this following in from Hazlewood being on fire. He finished up on 4-48 with an average of just over two an over. He really is the successor to Glenn McGrath when it comes to Ashes tours and while no one is likely to ever outdo Glenn, Hazlewood is utterly compelling to watch in having that similar command of line and length, just clipping the top of off stump, over and over and over again.

Lyon bowled a lot of overs and it is just not happening for him. While I love cricket I do not confess to be an expert, especially on bowling, but I thought his length was maybe just a touch short, though his economy rate was alright. I fully expect him to produce the goods tomorrow as the pitch was offering him a lot. Pat Cummins was exemplary especially either side of tea and was also bowling ridiculously tight overs. Funnily enough, the discussion about a potential Paine succession that I floated on here on Wednesday was replicated in the Guardian’s live updates thread today. Pat Cummins was being touted although there is a certain amount of orthodoxy and conservatism in cricket that says the skipper should be a batsman who fields in the slips.

As for England, Burns and Root were patient and had started building a very successful partnership before Josh Hazlewood broke through. They bo5h, along with Stokes and Roy, produced some lovely shots and I think this is a pitch that still offers something for everyone, although it is shifting to the bowlers for sure.

Day three ended with Australia definitely in the driving seat. Two clear days of weather predicted, their seamers bowling very well, and a pitch that is only going to increasingly suit Gazza. I think I am going to be present to see the Australians retain the Ashes on English soil for the first time since 2001.

What was quite funny was that despite Australia’s unhappiness at the bad light call, within minutes of stumps it was raining enough to ensure they would have had to go off. Manchester is a fascinating weather climate. It always looks on the verge of chucking it down but has actually resisted it well over the last couple of days.
    Bold statement comparing Hazelwood to McGrath. He’s got a long way to go to reach those heights

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Bold statement comparing Hazelwood to McGrath. He’s got a long way to go to reach those heights

I didnt word it well. I don’t think anyone will equal McGrath but I think Hazlewood bowls in the same style and will find a lot of joy on English pitches. If he can stay fit and on form then he can probably manage another couple of Ashes visits to England and he will prosper. He has that nagging line and length that just draws batsmen out and the epitome of that style was the perfect GMcG. Hazlewood is unlikely to match GMcG in overall impact but he is a similar type of bowler and the closest Australia have had since Glenn retired.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

I didnt word it well. I don’t think anyone will equal McGrath but I think Hazlewood bowls in the same style and will find a lot of joy on English pitches. If he can stay fit and on form then he can probably manage another couple of Ashes visits to England and he will prosper. He has that nagging line and length that just draws batsmen out and the epitome of that style was the perfect GMcG. Hazlewood is unlikely to match GMcG in overall impact but he is a similar type of bowler and the closest Australia have had since Glenn retired.
    I do agree and I was kidding a bit as I knew what you meant. One thing I would say is McGrath could do it anywhere in the world. He was the greatest fast bowler in my lifetime. When he got injured in the warm up in the great series in 2005 it was the difference between winning and losing.

United we stand here....

This game will be a draw.

England in a mess once again, 256-8

Broad gets Warner for a duck yet again!

Smith is like a batsman from the great era of cricket facing inferior bowling from the present era of cricket.

Left by mutual consent!
    England 0 for 2. Ashes are all but gone.

First Team Breakthrough Smiggy 7-0's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    England 0 for 2. Ashes are all but gone.
    Here's hoping

Left by mutual consent!

I'll counter this - I think Hazlewood is the best Oz bowler I've seen. His consistent line and length is amazing and he's won this test for Australia.

Been travelling the last few days so been unable to converse - maybe a good summing-up post tomorrow

Smith and the Aussie bowlers are excellent. England have missed Anderson badly tho

Well it was an extravaganza of Test cricket today! When an Ashes series is level going into game four, and you subsequently witness three innings during day four, you know there must be something tasty going on! More swings than a middling-to-large swing manufacturer’s.......

Starc bowled fantastically and took two critical wickets but Cummins and Hazlewood were also tremendous. I think what’s best is they all have different styles, as do Siddle and Pattinson. While Lyon isn’t taking wickets, he is maintaining a relatively decent economy rate. This means that after the new ball partnership, Lyon can hold down an end allowing the Aussies to rotate the three quicks at the other end, keeping them fresh and constantly challenging the English batsmen with their varying techniques.

Buttler did well early today, with the support of others to avoid the follow-on, though I think everyone would have been astonished had Paine sought it. It has very much gone out of trend unless the gap is absolutely massive. I think, might be wrong, that Australia set the tone for this under Steve Waugh, same as not playing a night watchman.

So, the second innings finished with a sizeable difference in scores. It felt blindingly obvious that if Australia could come out and flay England then they could quickly build up a big enough lead to look for a timely declaration. This would then allow their pace trio to exploit the Manchester pitch and weather to bowl their opponents out.

England, or rather, Broad and Archer had other ideas. Davey Warner once again succumbed to his nemesis, this has been a gripping personal duel. It is entirely psychological IMO. Broad is a world class bowler but Warner, even after the horrors of this series, still averages over 46 with the bat. Yet on this tour, Broad has had the sign over him. Warner is too good surely not to bounce back but this Ashes has been chastening for him.

Harris and Head also lost their wickets to particularly fine deliveries from the English opening duo, ramping up the atmosphere at Old Trafford and begging the question, what can Steve Smith do?

Well, it was a slow start and he went in at tea with a pedestrian 19 from 38 balls, but re-emerged with an obvious game plan that saw several scampish boundaries and some absolutely blistering pace running between the wickets. There was more than one occasion where he ran a second and was almost back at his end before his teammate had started back - okay, maybe a touch of hyperbole there but genuinely only a little.

Good support from Matt Wade and an uppening of the pace meant that when Smith finally went, it was for 82 from 92 IIRC. I think that is therefore his lowest score so far in this Ashes but probably the one that has finally swung it, as this performance combined with the last twenty minutes of today’s play almost inevitably have ensured an Australian win.

Tim Paine had a short and by his standards, flamboyant knock, just ensuring quick runs on the board to boost the Australian lead further. Then all of a sudden he was racing off the pitch, to leave England with a few difficult overs against Cummins and Hazlewood in muggy, overcast conditions.

I have bored everyone silly I’m sure with my praise for Pat Cummins but my word, he delivered for Australia, taking the wickets of Burns and Root in consecutive deliveries in the first over. Burns was stupid, playing wildly and coughing up a straightforward leading edge. Root was beaten by a classic, nicking the top of off stump. A hugely difficult task for England now becomes near-impossible.

Sunday brings a practically new ball, rested pacemen, a day five pitch and dry, muggy, overcast conditions. England will have to pull out all the stops to take anything from Old Trafford tomorrow and I really struggle to see it.

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Butler and Overton battling really well until an unbelievable delivery from Hazlewood. Can't blame Butler for leaving it. Looks like just a matter of time now

Leach goes only 1 wicket to go.

United we stand here....

Australia retain The ashes.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Great match!
    Great series!
    Two teams a credit to the sport
    Great crowds
    And not least, superb commentary that adds to the understanding of what was going on

And MA played his part as well

First Team Breakthrough Smiggy 7-0's Avatar
    Congratulations Australia.

Hard match to win, but got there in the end.

Great Game

Great Crowd

Great result, on to the Oval and win the series too.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Congratulations to Australia on their series win. They've deserved it, with Steve Smith proving the difference.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by ACLeith View Post
    Great match!
    Great series!
    Two teams a credit to the sport
    Great crowds
    And not least, superb commentary that adds to the understanding of what was going on

And MA played his part as well
    Thanks ACL, that’s kind, as were your previous comments.

What a scintillating day in what has been a tremendous series!

Australia retained the Ashes on English soil for the first time since 2001 but one should acknowledge the stubborn rearguard defence that England put up. And we still have the prospect of a Test at The Oval, very often the series finisher for teams touring England and very often a match that produces outstanding efforts, often by the unexpected.

I thought England battled well today in the face of excruciating pressure from the Australians. Roy and Denly have both had their struggles in this series and Denly probably hasn’t benefitted from being moved around to accommodate other players, but they managed to hang around a bit. The jury remains out on both. Denly has probably done enough to make the next series. The question is whether continuing to try to utilise Roy in a Test role might have a negative knock-on effect on his white ball game, which would be a disaster for England. I think either would find remedy in a big score at The Oval, even if that was only papering over some real selection cracks. By the same token, outside of the Indians, I don’t think Roy will face better Test bowlers.

Bairstow and Buttler also began to settle in to a degree though a reintroduced Starc took care of Bairstow. This saw Overton join Buttler at the crease and England started to steady themselves.

Paine was really shuffling the pack, bringing in both Labuschagne and Head and even switching Labuschagne’s end in short order. Head was very tidy, Labuschagne more expensive (more of him later) but it felt like they were giving Lyon a rest and the pacemen too, while the overs ran down to the new ball.

Curiously, Paine wasn’t that patient, as maybe, just maybe, it felt like England could string out a draw. Starc and Hazlewood both came in before the eightieth over and it wasn’t long before there was an impact.

Josh Hazlewood, in simply masterful pace bowling, drew Jos Buttler into expecting a short ball by sending a couple down and manipulating the field to make it look like a short one was on its way and then just clattering his off stump. If there were three stages to ensuring the Australian victory here in Manchester, the first was Smith’s innings, the second was Cummins’ two late wickets last night and the third was eliminating any chance of a draw with this exquisite delivery by Hazlewood.

The Old Trafford crowd had been fairly raucous to this point, and surprisingly more so than Saturday which is traditional ‘party day’. They stepped it up a bit now and really turned up the noise, not least when Palliyugurage took an age reviewing Overton for lbw. The TV shot made it look like it was bat onto pad but snicker was inconclusive and I think it genuinely had just moved through the air and hit pad first. He rock and rolled for around five minutes while a partisan crowd grew hugely angry and then he decided it was inconclusive. Then ball tracker showed it wouldn’t have been a wicket anyway!

It wasn’t much longer before things were wrapped up. Labuschagne, the unexpected star of the series grabbing the wicket of Leach and Hazlewood finishing things off.

So, all in all, a deserved Australian victory and retention of the Ashes in my opinion. England had their stellar moments but Australia were consistent, or more accurately Smith, Cummins and Hazlewood were consistent with cameos from Wade and Siddle and the unanticipated emergence of Labuschagne.

I agree with comments I read somewhere else today that it all reflects the fact that England prioritised the World Cup and Australia prioritised the Ashes. That seems fair.

Having said that, in a series with still a match to go, we have seen what was likely once-in-a-lifetime heroics from Ben Stokes.

And we have seen Steve Smith demonstrate he is simply on a different plane to his peers who are rightly to be considered elite sportsmen in any other sense.

And we have seen Paddy Cummins and Josh Hazlewood, two different bowlers who combine beautifully, showing they are one of the best opening attacks you could name - these guys hopefully have a good few years ahead of them and can really establish themselves in the pantheon of all-time best fast bowling pairs if they stay injury-free.

Gorgeous, sumptuous cricket to date, I am gutted there is only one Test left but so grateful for all we have been given so far!
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 09-09-2019 at 12:31 AM.

Thanks ACL, that’s kind, as were your previous comments.

What a scintillating day in what has been a tremendous series!

Australia retained the Ashes on English soil for the first time since 2001 but one should acknowledge the stubborn rearguard defence that England put up. And we still have the prospect of a Test at The Oval, very often the series finisher for teams touring England and very often a match that produces outstanding efforts, often by the unexpected.

I thought England battled well today in the face of excruciating pressure from the Australians. Roy and Denly have both had their struggles in this series and Denly probably hasn’t benefitted from being moved around to accommodate other players, but they managed to hang around a bit. The jury remains out on both. Denly has probably done enough to make the next series. The question is whether continuing to try to utilise Roy in a Test role might have a negative knock-on effect on his white ball game, which would be a disaster for England. I think either would find remedy in a big score at The Oval, even if that was only papering over some real selection cracks. By the same token, outside of the Indians, I don’t think Roy will face better Test bowlers.

Bairstow and Buttler also began to settle in to a degree though a reintroduced Starc took care of Bairstow. This saw Overton join Buttler at the crease and England started to steady themselves.

Paine was really shuffling the pack, bringing in both Labuschagne and Head and even switching Labuschagne’s end in short order. Head was very tidy, Labuschagne more expensive (more of him later) but it felt like they were giving Lyon a rest and the pacemen too, while the overs ran down to the new ball.

Curiously, Paine wasn’t that patient, as maybe, just maybe, it felt like England could string out a draw. Starc and Hazlewood both came in before the eightieth over and it wasn’t long before there was an impact.

Josh Hazlewood, in simply masterful pace bowling, drew Jos Buttler into expecting a short ball by sending a couple down and manipulating the field to make it look like a short one was on its way and then just clattering his off stump. If there were three stages to ensuring the Australian victory here in Manchester, the first was Smith’s innings, the second was Cummins’ two late wickets last night and the third was eliminating any chance of a draw with this exquisite delivery by Hazlewood.

The Old Trafford crowd had been fairly raucous to this point, and surprisingly more so than Saturday which is traditional ‘party day’. They stepped it up a bit now and really turned up the noise, not least when Palliyugurage took an age reviewing Overton for lbw. The TV shot made it look like it was bat onto pad but snicker was inconclusive and I think it genuinely had just moved through the air and hit pad first. He rock and rolled for around five minutes while a partisan crowd grew hugely angry and then he decided it was inconclusive. Then ball tracker showed it wouldn’t have been a wicket anyway!

It wasn’t much longer before things were wrapped up. Labuschagne, the unexpected star of the series grabbing the wicket of Leach and Hazlewood finishing things off.

So, all in all, a deserved Australian victory and retention of the Ashes in my opinion. England had their stellar moments but Australia were consistent, or more accurately Smith, Cummins and Hazlewood were consistent with cameos from Wade and Siddle and the unanticipated emergence of Labuschagne.

I agree with comments I read somewhere else today that it all reflects the fact that England prioritised the World Cup and Australia prioritised the Ashes. That seems fair.

Having said that, in a series with still a match to go, we have seen what was likely once-in-a-lifetime heroics from Ben Stokes.

And we have seen Steve Smith demonstrate he is simply on a different plane to his peers who are rightly to be considered elite sportsmen in any other sense.

And we have seen Paddy Cummins and Josh Hazlewood, two different bowlers who combine beautifully, showing they are one of the best opening attacks you could name - these guys hopefully have a good few years ahead of them and can really establish themselves in the pantheon of all-time best fast bowling pairs if they stay injury-free.

Gorgeous, sumptuous cricket to date, I am gutted there is only one Test left but so grateful for all we have been given so far!
    Nicely summed up and thanks for all your reports, I've enjoyed reading them.

After the Headingley 2nd innings, it seems England are starting to rediscover the mindset of test match batting. I think they'd have had a slightly better chance at Old Trafford if they'd won the toss and batted but then again conditions on the first day were ripe for a collapse, unless your name's Steve Smith. Roy did a bit better at #4, I imagine they'll stick with that for the Oval, so he's at least got that one more chance to stake a claim.

It was a real pity that Anderson didn't get to bowl in this series. The match up between the master batsmen and the master bowler (in English conditions anyway) would've been great to see.

So, last test at the Oval.

Aus have won the toss and put Eng in.

England have dropped Roy and Overton and brought in Sam Curran and recalled Woakes. The Aussies swap Siddle for Starc, Mitchell Marsh comes in and Travis Head drops out. I guess this might be a little anti-climactic after the last 2 nailbiting finishes.

The highest opening partnership of the series - 27.

Denly throws his wicket away after getting in in tricky conditions. A microcosm of recent England opening batting.

27/1

Root has now been dropped twice, he really has to capitalise now and go on to make a big score.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Root has now been dropped twice, he really has to capitalise now and go on to make a big score.

Burns doing well, 42 no.

Eng 86/1

Toss decision not looking well advised.

Root dropped again!

Burns out just short of a half century, Eng 107-2

Stokes gone, 130-3

169/3 at tea.

not out batsmen, Root a sketchy 57 and Bairstow 22

If England can get through the next session for the loss of 1 or 2 then a good day I think. But with this team a collapse is always on the cards ...

Root out for 57. England really need someone to go on and make a big score here.

170/4