hibs.net Messageboard

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Stonewall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unbe****inlievable. Most amazing batting performance I've ever seen and I can remember Botham in 81. Wow, just wow
    Absolutely extraordinary performance from Stokes. Umpire bottled that lbw at the end though.

This just papers over the cracks though and England still have to make changes for the next test. An occasion for changing a winning team I think.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    I’m an Aussie fan as I learnt to love the game when travelling there, so I was hoping for the tourists to win, retain the Ashes, and set up a 4-0 victory as per Glenn McGrath’s direction

Mrs Mibbes leans more towards England. She is delighted as we have the first four days at the next Test at Old Trafford. I was happy with a dead rubber, England maybe experimenting, Australia probably sticking in order to win the series, so all their top players on show.

It sets up Manchester as a thriller. With one Test lost to a draw, the Australians still only need one victory to retain the urn. England can now win the series with a victory and a draw at Old Trafford and The Oval. And curiously and unusually, the tie was a potential outcome in this match, doesn’t happen very often.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    I still think the Aussies will win unless Smith is ruled out.

Stokes really should've been out let's not forget.

Umpire bottled it.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    I still think the Aussies will win unless Smith is ruled out.

Stokes really should've been out let's not forget.

Umpire bottled it.
    The umpire didn’t bottle it, he got it wrong. Given the speed that top class cricket is played at and the narrow margins they have to deal with they do a remarkable job.
    Australia messed up by wasting their last review.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    The umpire didn’t bottle it, he got it wrong. Given the speed that top class cricket is played at and the narrow margins they have to deal with they do a remarkable job.
    Australia messed up by wasting their last review.
    Couldn’t agree more.

I think the first Test highlighted a lot of umpiring mistakes but probably also illustrated that these are the exception.

Cricket umpires at Test level are well-monitored and almost always call it spot-on.

My one gripe with DRS is umpire’s call. If the ball is clipping the top of off-stump, then it is clipping the top of off-stump!
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar
    https://www.ecb.co.uk/video/1325876/...atest%20Videos

Highlights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Will the Aussies consider changing captain halfway through an ashes series? Tim Paine has had a shocker today and he’s done nothing with the bat all series. That review at the end could easily cost him his job.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Will the Aussies consider changing captain halfway through an ashes series? Tim Paine has had a shocker today and he’s done nothing with the bat all series. That review at the end could easily cost him his job.
    Ooh, controversial but a good post!

I can’t see Australia sacking him, it doesn’t feel like their style. Unless they lose the series they retain the Ashes and they are still in the box seat to win the series for the first time in England since 2001.

I can’t remember who they named as vice captains- Head and Cummins? I would always go with a batter who can field in the slips or at worst, mid-off, as skipper. Not sure Head is ready yet.

But Smith and Warner are already de facto captains on the field. I guess it just depends on whether opinion is right to give one of them that reward?

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    Couldn’t agree more.

I think the first Test highlighted a lot of umpiring mistakes but probably also illustrated that these are the exception.

Cricket umpires at Test level are well-monitored and almost always call it spot-on.

My one gripe with DRS is umpire’s call. If the ball is clipping the top of off-stump, then it is clipping the top of off-stump!
    The umpires call is a bit of a strange one but I kind of understand it as the system is there to correct clear umpiring errors.

When you see the way the technology is applied in football where it takes an age and umpteen re-runs to detect someone is a centimetre offside, or the keeper has one foot marginally infront of the line at a penalty then I think it is justifiable.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Ooh, controversial but a good post!

I can’t see Australia sacking him, it doesn’t feel like their style. Unless they lose the series they retain the Ashes and they are still in the box seat to win the series for the first time in England since 2001.

I can’t remember who they named as vice captains- Head and Cummins? I would always go with a batter who can field in the slips or at worst, mid-off, as skipper. Not sure Head is ready yet.

But Smith and Warner are already de facto captains on the field. I guess it just depends on whether opinion is right to give one of them that reward?
    I get the feeling it will go back to Smith, but I also don’t think it will happen during the series. Two huge tests for Paine coming up as he’s been a back seat driver so far.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Was out today and watching the BBC text feed. Was with an England fan whose emotions ran the whole spread from bottom to top. Plus some folk who really think Cricket is totally BORING 😱

Saying to the sceptics that Stokes' innings sounded one if the greatest ever played left them cold - bunch of Philistines.

Was more nerve wracking relying on that feed and now looking forward to seeing the highlights.

Cricket the winner, whatever the result was
    Last edited by ACLeith; 25-08-2019 at 08:04 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    I listened to TMS (I don't have SKY - never have and never will) and it was something that Marconi would have been proud of. It was right up there with the best broadcasts and I was absolutely gripped...more-so as I had a fairly large bet laying England on the exchanges since the start of the test that I managed to trade out for a decent profit when England needed 20 odd to win. I tried to hold firm to maximise the return...but I had a gut feeling and took a profit.

Watched the highlights on C5 and Lyon will live with that run-out for the rest of his life. Just shows what pressure can do.

Stokes' innings...even on the highlights, was nothing short of spectacular. It will forever be written into the record books and so will the single that Leach scored.

I still think Oz will win the series, especially if Smith is recalled. I think it's time to pull a favour from a contact for tickets to the KIA Oval for the final test

Quote Originally Posted by Sergey View Post
    I listened to TMS (I don't have SKY - never have and never will) and it was something that Marconi would have been proud of. It was right up there with the best broadcasts and I was absolutely gripped...more-so as I had a fairly large bet laying England on the exchanges since the start of the test that I managed to trade out for a decent profit when England needed 20 odd to win. I tried to hold firm to maximise the return...but I had a gut feeling and took a profit.

Watched the highlights on C5 and Lyon will live with that run-out for the rest of his life. Just shows what pressure can do.

Stokes' innings...even on the highlights, was nothing short of spectacular. It will forever be written into the record books and so will the single that Leach scored.

I still think Oz will win the series, especially if Smith is recalled. I think it's time to pull a favour from a contact for tickets to the KIA Oval for the final test
    Like you I listened to TMS and then watched the highlights and found the whole thing extraordinary. A perfect illustration of why sport is great.

i really can’t call this as both teams have strong bowling units allied to fallible batting line ups.

i’m going To see if I can get to Old Trafford for the next test, at least for day four or five if it goes that far.

I think England will use this result as an excuse to only tamper with the team and if Smith plays I think it’s advantage Australia.
    Last edited by Stonewall; 25-08-2019 at 09:42 PM.

I just watched the day 4 highlights on ch5 without knowing the outcome, tears streaming down my face for some reason, what a man Stokes is. Who else would you want in your team that works/tries harder? Quite magnificent entertainment. Leach's effort should not go unnoticed either. Wow! What would you have given to be there? Amazing!
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 25-08-2019 at 10:32 PM.

Sport is a strange beast, crowd reactions at certain moments are capable of giving you a strange lift. The collective reactions to certain events in a particular moment are instantly recognisable as being out of the ordinary and are why sport, whichever one it may be, is such a joy to watch.

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    How did England manage that, after being bowled out for 67 in the first innings? Great fightback there. I wonder what price they were to win after that 67?
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Left by mutual consent!
    5 Live Sports Extra are rerunning the last hour of play this morning. I've just listened to it again and it is commentary at its very finest. Poor Glenn McGrath - His reaction to the not-out LBW is fantastic.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergey View Post
    5 Live Sports Extra are rerunning the last hour of play this morning. I've just listened to it again and it is commentary at its very finest. Poor Glenn McGrath - His reaction to the not-out LBW is fantastic.
    Was listening to that on the drive to work it was brilliant and as you say McGraths reaction is superb. "that wasn't a bad decision it was a horrible one".

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    I just watched the day 4 highlights on ch5 without knowing the outcome, tears streaming down my face for some reason, what a man Stokes is. Who else would you want in your team that works/tries harder? Quite magnificent entertainment. Leach's effort should not go unnoticed either. Wow! What would you have given to be there? Amazing!
    He did well when he was batting but got away with one big time when he should have got run out only for Lyon to fumble the ball. Very lucky man IMO.

Sport at its best.
    Last edited by JimBHibees; 26-08-2019 at 10:30 AM.

There's something pleasantly familiar about the redemption story of a guy called Stokes producing a historic matchwinning triumph.

Anderson out for the rest of the Ashes. Roy for some reason still hasn’t been dropped

Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    Anderson out for the rest of the Ashes. Roy for some reason still hasn’t been dropped
    I think the paucity of options for England sits behind that. However I would not be surprised to see a reshuffle of the order with Denly or at a real push Bairstow or even Stokes pushed up, with Roy dropping down.

England have been fairly steady in selection, with a little shift of Buttler here and Stokes there and tweaks to the bowling but it feels like a tipping point just now.

The biggest cricketer I’ve ever seen playing test cricket currently bowling for the West Indies.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    The biggest cricketer I’ve ever seen playing test cricket currently bowling for the West Indies.
    I’m on holiday so I saw the start of the series against India but lost track of it.

My word he is a big laddie. And a spinner as well, it will be fascinating to see what he can do given his height! His first class figures are on point and he is young. Looking forward to seeing how he gets on at Test level.

Testimonial Due
    I think the paucity of options for England sits behind that. However I would not be surprised to see a reshuffle of the order with Denly or at a real push Bairstow or even Stokes pushed up, with Roy dropping down.

England have been fairly steady in selection, with a little shift of Buttler here and Stokes there and tweaks to the bowling but it feels like a tipping point just now.
    The suggestion last night was that Denly will open with Roy at 4. Makes some sense but I’d be concerned about Roy’s confidence given his form at opener. I also don’t think he has a great first class record in the middle order for Surrey, could there be a risk that they will damage one of their best white ball players by trying to shoehorn him into a test place?

Quote Originally Posted by hibee62 View Post
    The suggestion last night was that Denly will open with Roy at 4. Makes some sense but I’d be concerned about Roy’s confidence given his form at opener. I also don’t think he has a great first class record in the middle order for Surrey, could there be a risk that they will damage one of their best white ball players by trying to shoehorn him into a test place?
    Yes, I think England are succumbing to that almost inevitable desire to tinker without a long-term strategy in place.

At least Root had a decent knock at three last time out, which shows he can do it (not least to himself). If he anchors that spot then it gives England a bit more flex in the middle order.

Yes, I think England are succumbing to that almost inevitable desire to tinker without a long-term strategy in place.

At least Root had a decent knock at three last time out, which shows he can do it (not least to himself). If he anchors that spot then it gives England a bit more flex in the middle order.
    Let's face it, numbers 1-5 can all effectively be considered openers for England at the moment,

I think losing Jimmy for the last 2 tests is a big blow for England. With Smith back, and Labuschagne playing almost as doggedly, Australia will be a lot more solid batting wise. Old Trafford seems likely to hinge on whether the England batting unit of the Headingley first innings or the second turns up. You'd think they've shown themselves that they can bat in a proper test match style but ...

I think the Aussies will have psychologically regrouped. If it wasn't for a miraculous Stokes, some woeful umpiring and them shooting themselves in the foot with the wasted review and run out all going against them they'd have won. The stars aligned for England at Leeds but Aussies are usually fiendish competitors.

So, I'm going for an Aussie victory and the Ashes retained. Should be another great match anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Let's face it, numbers 1-5 can all effectively be considered openers for England at the moment,

I think losing Jimmy for the last 2 tests is a big blow for England. With Smith back, and Labuschagne playing almost as doggedly, Australia will be a lot more solid batting wise. Old Trafford seems likely to hinge on whether the England batting unit of the Headingley first innings or the second turns up. You'd think they've shown themselves that they can bat in a proper test match style but ...

I think the Aussies will have psychologically regrouped. If it wasn't for a miraculous Stokes, some woeful umpiring and them shooting themselves in the foot with the wasted review and run out all going against them they'd have won. The stars aligned for England at Leeds but Aussies are usually fiendish competitors.

So, I'm going for an Aussie victory and the Ashes retained. Should be another great match anyway.
    Good summary and I think it will be an Aussie win too.

I have tickets for days one to four but having been inadvertently stranded in Venice until Wednesday I am now trying to decide whether it is more practical to go straight to Old Trafford from here.

First world problems, I know.......

Quote Originally Posted by hibee62 View Post
    Joe Denly confirms on the BBC, he's been asked to open with Burns and Roy moves to #4.