hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Uh oh, Denly out as well now. I think this will be over before tea ...

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by BigKev View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Great start for the Aussies. 19/1.

This will be a good test for Root. Let's see if he can carry England "Smith" style.
    That'll be a "no" then. Root out. 85/4. 3 for Lyon who is doing everything Moeen didn't.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    That'll be a "no" then. Root out. 85/4. 3 for Lyon who is doing everything Moeen didn't.
    It’s going to be a long couple of sessions for England to bat through now. 85/4 at lunch.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Uh oh, Denly out as well now. I think this will be over before tea ...
    Don't think they'll bother heating up the sausage rolls now. 97/6

Edit 97/7

Quote Originally Posted by ACLeith View Post
    Don't think they'll bother heating up the sausage rolls now. 97/6
    Make that 97/7. The fat lady is clearing her throat.

United we stand here....

Woakes going down fighting. They might make the drinks break!

All over.

Aussies take a 1-0 lead from "Fortress" Edgbaston.

No idea how to dig in and defend. This one day slogging has been the ruin of the proper game.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgo View Post
    Chasing anything over 150 will be dicey, I can see both sides have numerous batting collapses this series and England might just provide one tomorrow/Monday.
    Wasn’t far off here!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    No idea how to dig in and defend. This one day slogging has been the ruin of the proper game.
    100%. Too many in this England side who can’t seem to shift from ODI mode to tests.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    What a match and what a rollercoaster given Australia were 122-8 on day one!!!

Settle into your seats folks, this will be a long post but there are many talking points from this match.

It is hard not to prioritise the umpiring. DRS so often highlights umpires getting split-second decisions exactly right but this match has been a stinker for decisions getting overturned. My understanding is there are only half a dozen or so umpires who can manage the Ashes due to the neutrality rule. Perhaps need more umpires or suspend neutrality - cricket is cricket and I would trust an umpire to make an objective decision.

In terms of today, Australia were absolutely clinical. Lyon hit 350 wickets and had his best-ecver figures against England. I saw him being interviewed before play and he was incredibly relaxed, really looking forward to the day.

He was of course superbly supported by the seamers. Siddle and Pattinson did very well but Pat Cummins was the star. If you follow the cricket threads on here you are probably bored silly of me talking up Paddy Cummins but I think he is exceptional. 4-32 today and reaching a hundred Test wickets at a frankly silly average of around 21. And he can bat.

For those who who like the psychodrama of Test cricket there was maybe nothing better than the gradual tightening of the field as England lost wickets. Once it got into the bottom order it was getting silly, the batsman was absolutely surrounded by close fielders and it was no wonder that Lyon was squeezing out wickets almost on demand. When you are facing that sort of pressure, then a rotating attack of three top-classs seamers from the other end, where do you go?

Emgland undoubtedly were weakened by losing Anderson’s bowling and it is curious that he batted, risking adding more injury to his calf. There is a gap between now and Lord’s though and at Anderson’s stage, Ashes matches are running out so I can understand the desire to play.

Looking at the match overall, Australia first, it is impossible not to comment on Steve Smith and his sheer triumph of will. First Test back, hostile crowd, who knows what mental and emotional pressure, not captain anymore, playing at England’s favourite Ashes home ground.

First innings, coming in with your team in desperate straits. Big century. Second innings, needing to set an insurmountable target. Big century. Psychologically he has damaged England, because Warner, who failed in this Test, is too good not to come good, same with Bancroft.

Matthew Wade did ever so well in the second innings but unfairly overshadowed by Smith. After his failure in the first, he needed a score in the second and made a fine century. He has justified his place, especially given he was being criticised by ex-selectors like Mark Waugh. Travis Head Similarly had a good knock for his half-century, I like him a lot. He is that kind of Aussie middle-order batsman who can put on a big score and then bowl a bit. I think he bats higher up in the shorter game.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Decent test match and my overiding feeling is that Australia are a test match team mostly. England are mostly one day players playing in a test side. Aus to win the series at least 3-0.

Part two

What questions are there for Australia? Khawaja did just enough again but it is inescapable that to play in his position you have to inspire a lot more confidence. Otherwise I think they are set, other than they have the brutal problem of remembering they have Mitchell Starc on the bench. I struggle to see how you drop Siddle, and that’s not because of his batting extravaganza but on his line and length tightness. Pattinson might drop out at Lord’s but that feels very unfair, he did well in Birmingham.

Before the start of this Test I questioned whether both teams should go with four proper seamers and a spinner. If Warner and Bancroft bat like they should then I would be tempted to attack, drop Khawaja and move everyone else up one, giving the room to allow all four seamers. Risky but rewarding.

As for England, I bet they wish they had gone with four seamers! Stokes is mercurial, on his day he is as good as anyone in the attack, but if he is not on fire then he is a very expensive change bowler. It is hard not to feel sorry for Moeen, he is so short on confidence and it is so visible. I think Root and Denly bowled so many overs that it just reinforces the lack of confidence in him. I also think he has had a harsh time as this sort of hybrid player England seem to want - he has batted everywhere from 1-9 I think.

Cant see how Root doesn’t stay at three now, England don’t have an alternative and he did okay. Rory Burns I remain to be convinced about but a decent century certainly buys him time . Jason Roy looks like a man on a night out socially, holding his partner’s coat while they are in the bathroom -he wants to be at four, England want him to be at four, cricket fans want him to be at four. The sooner they get him at four the more comfortable we will all feel. If nothing else because his dismissal in the second innings was massively, massively uncomfortable and awkward - nobody will mention it out of politeness but we all saw it happen and it wasn’t pleasant!

Cant see Anderson bowling at Lord’s So one of Stone, Archer or Wood, unless England go for the humane approach of resting Moeen, playing a fourth seamer and asking Root and Denly to pick it up. That might be unlikely as Root has mentioned that playing at three adds more psychological pressure. Given he is captaining in the field as well then bowling more overs might be a big ask? If Moeen is retained then my money would be on Archer to replace Anderson.

One name that will be straight in is Chris Woakes. He had a great game on home soil and has an outstanding record at Lord’s.

On a final note, sad but sort of nice that Dale Steyn announced his retirement from Test cricket. I say sort of nice because it gives a chance to acknowledge it. He will still play ODIs and T20.

Anyway, 439 Test wickets. Anybody who has seen him on form will recognise how he could blow opposition apart. A joy to watch and he joins the ranks of those fast bowlers who have made Test cricket such a joy to watch.
    Last edited by Mibbes Aye; 05-08-2019 at 09:07 PM.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Moeen definitely needs rested. Maybe Leach might come back as spinner/opener.

Anderson out of 2nd test. Not good news at all

Quote Originally Posted by weecounty hibby View Post
    Anderson out of 2nd test. Not good news at all
    Jofra Archer took 6 wickets and scored a century for Sussex 2nd XI. Ok, the level's not great but he seems to be fit. I think Mark Wood is ruled out.

Archer for Anderson, Leach (or another spinner I don't know about) for Moeen, I would think.

Jofra Archer took 6 wickets and scored a century for Sussex 2nd XI. Ok, the level's not great but he seems to be fit. I think Mark Wood is ruled out.

Archer for Anderson, Leach (or another spinner I don't know about) for Moeen, I would think.
    I think you are right about Archer getting the nod, the 2nd XI game was all about getting overs on the board. He only bowled 12 overs though, he will be looking at 40-50 in the next Test all things being equal and that could ask questions of his fitness. I don’t think he has bowled outwith the short game for nearly a year other than this 2nd XI game, so the stresses and strains of bowling again and again in two innings is something his body will not be used to.

I’m not sure Woakes is 100% fit either TBH. And if there isn’t a change to spin, or actually even if there is, England run the risk of being flayed, putting more pressure on the quicks.

Certainly David Warner will be champing at the bit to get runs on the board.

@hibs.net private member Stonewall's Avatar
    Here’s my thoughts: why do England always make their best players captain? It never works. Vaughan, Strauss, Cook etc were far less effective after becoming captain and Root has followed that pattern.

The bottom line is you bat your best player where he wants to bat and you don’t as a matter of course make your best batter captain. I’ve no sympathy over Anderson getting injured. Fast bowlers in their mid 30s tend to break down, we selected two, go figure.

Can’t wait for the next test.

It’s back

The Second Test commences tomorrow at Lord’s, usually a happy hunting ground for Australia.

Unfortunately the forecast is poor, looking like heavy rain tomorrow and also heavy spells of showers at various points on Friday and Saturday. I think we may be lucky to see a result in this match.

For Australia, the talk is that Pattinson is being rested from the attack, with the likelihood that Josh Hazlewood will come in. He took 5-88 the last time he played at Lord’s in the Ashes. That would mean Starc sits out again, but with Australia’s rotation policy you would expect to see him in the Third Test. The Aussies certainly have depth in their pace attack.

For England, decisions to be made. Archer will be in for Anderson and carrying no small load of expectation but he has confidence and he certainly has pace. Leach for Moeen is the tougher one as it could be a real chastening for him. As a left-handler he loses the advantage the right-handed Moeen would have, bowling to an Australian top and middle order that is rammed with left-handers. If it is any consolation, the Australians do have a right-handed batsman near the top. Unfortunately his name is Steve Smith.

Given the weather forecast there is an argument for England being daring and dropping Denly to be replaced by Curran. On a slick pitch where quick wickets will be necessary to win the match then this move would give England plenty options in attack. I suspect they won’t but think they should.

Hopefully the weather turns out better than expected as the First Test has got us all salivating for more!

My posts on cricket are much briefer than yours but the only way this won't be a positive result for Australia is if the weather takes a hand. I am very interested to see how Archer goes in a test match

Also there are a number of England players who have a o lot to prove, not least Root with his captaincy

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    It’s back

The Second Test commences tomorrow at Lord’s, usually a happy hunting ground for Australia.

Unfortunately the forecast is poor, looking like heavy rain tomorrow and also heavy spells of showers at various points on Friday and Saturday. I think we may be lucky to see a result in this match.

For Australia, the talk is that Pattinson is being rested from the attack, with the likelihood that Josh Hazlewood will come in. He took 5-88 the last time he played at Lord’s in the Ashes. That would mean Starc sits out again, but with Australia’s rotation policy you would expect to see him in the Third Test. The Aussies certainly have depth in their pace attack.

For England, decisions to be made. Archer will be in for Anderson and carrying no small load of expectation but he has confidence and he certainly has pace. Leach for Moeen is the tougher one as it could be a real chastening for him. As a left-handler he loses the advantage the right-handed Moeen would have, bowling to an Australian top and middle order that is rammed with left-handers. If it is any consolation, the Australians do have a right-handed batsman near the top. Unfortunately his name is Steve Smith.

Given the weather forecast there is an argument for England being daring and dropping Denly to be replaced by Curran. On a slick pitch where quick wickets will be necessary to win the match then this move would give England plenty options in attack. I suspect they won’t but think they should.

Hopefully the weather turns out better than expected as the First Test has got us all salivating for more!
    I’d definitely bring Curran in. England won’t win this test match by outscoring Australia imo, and it’s not like Curran can’t bat. They need to take wickets and put the Aussies under pressure at a venue they always do well at.
    The toss will be absolutely vital tomorrow and could weather permitting decide the game.
    Also just to add Woakes has an outstanding record at Lords and if he can produce, then England have a real chance. That’s if Hazelwood doesn’t repeat his previous Lords exploits.
    Last edited by lord bunberry; 13-08-2019 at 10:21 PM.

United we stand here....

Looks like we'll be lucky to see any play at all today.

Looking like we’re going to get some play today.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Looking like we’re going to get some play today.
    Nope, abandoned.

Four days should be more than enough for a test these days.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Four days should be more than enough for a test these days.
    I was convinced of that before the First Test

I think tomorrow will be a day that suits whoever bats but Friday and Saturday are going to be troublesome with the weather and suit the bowlers, if there isn’t scope for play. Potential route to victory is to win the toss, bat big tomorrow, even at the risk of being bowled out, or alternatively making a modest declaration to give your bowlers the best of play Fri-Sat.

But if I’m Australia, I’m already one up and Edgbaston is out the way, So is it worth the risk? If I’m England, I know there are issues in a couple of areas of team selection and Australia do well at Lord’s So is it worth the risk, with three matches still to play?

There’s a real chance this could fizzle out, which would be a shame, but Test matches can turn on one or two sessions so hopefully we get something out of this match!

Aus win the toss and choose to bowl.

Leach in for England, Curran misses out.

Roy out 0-1

Root out for 14. Denly struggling, currently 9 no. Burns more resolute, 16 no.

40/2