hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Absolutely. That's just an empirical fact tbh. You'd think we were constantly lifting cups the way since folk go on about those players that actually have done so.

Anyone who played a sizeable role in our 2016 SC run is, IMO, a legend for example.
    Agree. Sections of our support seem to be incredibly hard to please.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    Unless I've not been paying attention, I'm not getting paid thousands of pounds a year to play left back for Hibs.

I've just rewatched the Stevenson cross for the first goal at Kirkcaldy in the cup run.

(21 seconds in: https://youtu.be/uR8lXziQNxM)

If you're telling me that's not an abysmal cross, which finds McGregor courtesy of an even worse air kick, then I'm speechless.

The cross at Inverness is of mildly better quality, but still sees two Caley defenders complete mistime their jumps and it goes over them. In other words, they did a fantastic impression of Hanlon and Stevenson's regular shtick.
    I'm pretty sure that the person who made the "1st goal in the cup run" comment was getting his 1st and 2nd goals mixed up. The 2nd goal was made by a great pass from Stevenson to Malonga who did the business. Whilst the shot was unbelievable, it's the ability to make the perfectly weighted pass to someone in space that set up the goal. All to often players hold onto the ball to long, so by the time the pass is made (to Malonga) the defence has got itself sorted and someone would have blocked the shot.

Re the 1st goal, it was still a good cross, what happens after that is a result of the panic caused by a good delivery cross. It certainly was not abysmal.

Re your comment about the ICT goal, it just underlines what rubbish you've written. What does it care if the ICT defenders misjudge their jumps? They've been caught out of the correct position at the moment the cross comes in. It happens all the time. Every cross into the box, can and should be defended if the defenders are in the correct position and deal with it appropriately.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Without Stokes waking up that determined to slay the huns then there would be no Scottish Cup. He’s a legend imo. As is Stubbsy.

Sir David Gray is immortal though.
    Those were the exact same three I was about to mention.

Might help with the other thread

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    In your opinion what is the difference?

We all know the obvious legends but there are a few who fall somewhere in between and probably split opinion between a great and a legend.

Here are a few

Keith Wright - Legend
    Goram - Great
    McGinley - Great
    Weir - Great
    Jones - Legend
    Latapy - Great
    Burridge - Great never took to him don't know why.
    Jackson - Great
    Stokes - Legend
    Bremner - Great
    Edwards - Legend

There are loads more who are yours ?
    Entire Tornadoes team and 2016 side are surely all greats as well as legends.

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    Might help with the other thread
    All it shows is that legends is a personal thing. No definitive answer.

Lewis Stevenson must be a Hibs club legend

He meets most if not all the criteria needed

History books= The only player to have won both cups

History books=7th in all time appearances

Personal bio = one club for 18yrs and 15 seasons in the first team

Conduct on the pitch and in the community =Excellent

Add that all up and it comes to = Hibs Club Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Same Sleeves View Post

I agree completely.

I’m one that thinks his time as a first pick in our team is up. But I don’t know how anybody could consider him to be anything other than a club legend.

Quote Originally Posted by Same Sleeves View Post

Agreed. I'm one who thinks he's been on a gradual downward spiral since his excellent 17/18 season, but you can't really deny his legend status.

The more I think of it I've changed my mind a little. For me there are many club greats (Stevenson being one) but "Legend" is an almost god like standing amongst the fans. Doesn't matter how many appearances or trophies they have it's just that aura they have. They've usually stood out from the others through an iconic moment or through sublime skill.

The Famous Five
    Pat Stanton
    Franck Sauzee
    Russell Latapy
    Anthony Stokes
    David Gray

Probably John McGinn as well to be honest

Pat Stanton all day long, was devastated when he joined the manks.

Everyone has their own opinion but Im really struggling to get my head around anyone not classing Stevenson as a Hibs legend. We have only won 6 Major Cups in our whole history. Lewis has won 2 of them. Not even taking into account he is a one club man who will likely retire in ourtop 5 appearances of all time. Said it before but we must have one of the hardest supports to please.

Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    The more I think of it I've changed my mind a little. For me there are many club greats (Stevenson being one) but "Legend" is an almost god like standing amongst the fans. Doesn't matter how many appearances or trophies they have it's just that aura they have. They've usually stood out from the others through an iconic moment or through sublime skill.

The Famous Five
    Pat Stanton
    Franck Sauzee
    Russell Latapy
    Anthony Stokes
    David Gray

Probably John McGinn as well to be honest
    Iconic moments or sublime skill are enough to get players considered as a great but Legends need to take it that bit further like having an impact on the clubs history books

Step forward Mr Stevenson

Quote Originally Posted by Barman Stanton View Post
    Everyone has their own opinion but Im really struggling to get my head around anyone not classing Stevenson as a Hibs legend. We have only won 6 Major Cups in our whole history. Lewis has won 2 of them. Not even taking into account he is a one club man who will likely retire in ourtop 5 appearances of all time. Said it before but we must have one of the hardest supports to please.
    It's not about loving him or the support being hard to please, it's about being objective.

And, objectively, the only case you can make for Stevenson being a legend is that Hibs have been atrocious at winning trophies at a consistent rate down the years.

Because this "Lewy's got two" stuff boils down to that and nothing else.

I say this with sincerity to Stevenson, he is a lovely man and a decent footballer, but he will be a very small footnote in Hibs' history compared to figures like Reilly and Stanton in a hundred years from now.

Edit: And I think what makes Stevenson such a nice and humble person is that he'd be the first to admit to that. Which makes some people's incessant lionising all the more misguided.

Quote Originally Posted by Barman Stanton View Post
    It really is as simple as no one is a legend from 2016 if he isn't. He's achieved more in green than anyone from that side so if it's not him, it's definitely not Stokes or Gray.

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    It's not about loving him or the support being hard to please, it's about being objective.

And, objectively, the only case you can make for Stevenson being a legend is that Hibs have been atrocious at winning trophies at a consistent rate down the years.

I say this with sincerity to Stevenson, he is a lovely man and a decent footballer, but he will be a very small footnote in Hibs' history compared to figures like Reilly and Stanton in a hundred years from now.

Edit: And I think what makes Stevenson such a nice and humble person is that he'd be the first to admit to that. Which makes some people's incessant lionising all the more misguided.
    in a hundred years from now fans will be told about Lewis and probably Reilly but not pat Stanton who was a great player and a hibby but he ain’t no legend.

As I said on another thread last night, the "what makes a legend" debate is very subjective but I couldn't disagree more.

A guy who will, in all probability, retire having played for just Hibs during his whole career, will soon have the fifth highest number of appearances in the club's history and is currently the only player in the club's history to have won both the League Cup and Scottish Cup whilst a Hibs player will absolutely be remembered for generations to come.

I'm genuinely struggling with the idea that Lewis Stevenson could be anything but a Hibs legend.

Each to their own though.

Quote Originally Posted by eastterrace View Post
    in a hundred years from now fans will be told about Lewis and probably Reilly but not pat Stanton who was a great player and a hibby but he ain’t no legend.
    As a couple of posters have said, it is subjective but if fans are still talking about Stevenson & Reilly in 100 years they'll be talking about Stanton too - in fact, you're either at it or know nothing about the man.

Is this part of the climate change denial thread?

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar

Love Lewis to bits but he couldnae lace Pat Stanton’s boots
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 20-02-2020 at 07:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post

Love Lewis to bits but he couldnae lace Pat Stanton’s boots
    Could he not? Different times certainly but it doesn't matter. Lewis will retire will more major trophies won as a Hibs player than Pat.

Lewis is easily as big a Hibs legend as Stanton.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Could he not? Different times certainly but it doesn't matter. Lewis will retire will more major trophies won as a Hibs player than Pat.

No!

Just imho

You of course are entitled to yours however misguided that may be

2 x Dryburgh Cups 1x League Cup 1 x Summer Cup
    1 x Scottish Cup 1 x Scottish League
    16 x Scotland Caps
    617 apps 78 goals

Single handedly dismantled Jock Steins Celtic side in the 1972 League Cup Final who only the season before had been in what you would call today the Champions League Final

Pat Stanton was a majestic graceful footballer hard as nails equally as good in the air and as centre half sweeper or midfield
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 20-02-2020 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post

Lewis quite rightly regarded as Hibs Legend, however never in a month of Sunday,s,Blue moon,s or other forms will he ever be classed as anywhere near being of the Quality of St.Patrick Gordon Stanton!!!

@hibs.net private member
    Don’t know why people are debating Lewis v Pat...it’s not as if we have 100s of legends. Let’s enjoy them for who they are and their fabulous individual contributions to our great clubs history

Both Hibee Heroes...love them ...

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Don’t know why people are debating Lewis v Pat...it’s not as if we have 100s of legends. Let’s enjoy them for who they are and their fabulous individual contributions to our great clubs history

Both Hibee Heroes...love them ...
    I don't think we are debating them against each other it's this assertion "pat Stanton who was a great player and a hibby but he ain’t no legend" .

No!

Just imho

16 x Scotland Caps
    617 apps 78 goals

Single handedly dismantled Jock Steins Celtic side in the 1972 League Cup Final who only the season before had been in what you would call today the Champions League Final

Pat Stanton was a majestic graceful footballer hard as nails equally as good in the air and as centre half sweeper or midfield
    Arguing about who is the bigger legend is one thing, but the debate has been sparked by eastterrace claiming Stanton "ain't no legend" and that Hibbies of the future would talk about Lewis & Reilly but not Pat! I'm always hesitant to brand fellow Hibbies opinions as nonsense, but this is clearly a load of keech. If he's trolling, I'm not sure what he is getting out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    Arguing about who is the bigger legend is one thing, but the debate has been sparked by eastterrace claiming Stanton "ain't no legend" and that Hibbies of the future would talk about Lewis & Reilly but not Pat! I'm always hesitant to brand fellow Hibbies opinions as nonsense, but this is clearly a load of keech. If he's trolling, I'm not sure what he is getting out of it.
    I’m away back to my programmes and my HIBS books until Saturday where I will be giving Lewis my undying support 😁

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I don't think we are debating them against each other it's this assertion "pat Stanton who was a great player and a hibby but he ain’t no legend" .
    Tbh. That one post suggesting that was so laughable it’s best ignored

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Tbh. That one post suggesting that was so laughable it’s best ignored
    Probs....but sometimes fake news must be confronted.

Patrick Gordon Stanton is Hibernian FC incarnate.

Anyone slightly dissing him needs the full-on, blasphemer, medieval, inquisition treatment.

imho obviously.

No!

Just imho

16 x Scotland Caps
    617 apps 78 goals

Right but Lewis won 2 real trophies with Hibs including the Scottish after 100 odd years. He is an equal of Stanton at least.