hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you'd take eleven Lewis Stevensons over almost anyone we've had, then that shows a frightening lack of insight on your part, and sums up the Scottish mentality regarding football quite well. Don't worry if you've got ability, kids, just try really hard and even if you can't get a cross to beat the first man after 15 years, you'll still be a legend.

He hasn't, in my book, earned the legend tag, and I've given you a list of eight names who unequivocally are bigger legends than him.

Similarly, the 2016 team might be a legendary team, but not every player is a legend. Indeed, none of them bar Gray are, to me.
    .... “frightening lack of insight” “sums up Scottish mentality”...it is so good to be in the wisdom of the new paradigm of thinking about football in Scotland..

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    If we'd beaten Ross County in the 2016 final, Chris Dagnall would've had a League Cup and Scottish Cup winners medal. He wouldn't be a legend, would he? If he would've been, then I think your definition of legend is very different to mine.

Longevity does not guarantee legend status, in my book. To play devil's advocate for a moment, I'd suggest that Stevenson has also played in some disastrous teams and was part of our relegation side.

The fact that Stevenson was here for the 2007 cup win and remained for the 2016 cup win is nice. But really, it's as much as of an indictment on Hibs' part that we couldn't find a better full back, as it is about Stevenson's undying loyalty to the club - which I don't doubt for one second, he's a very good person by all accounts.

Despite (frankly laughably) being given the man of the match award for the Kilmarnock final, he's not gone above and beyond to win Hibs a cup in the same way that Gray has, who also captained us to our finest moment. So that's the difference, for me.

Again, it's all about opinions. I'm not begrudging anyone for calling him a legend, but he's not even close to one as far as I'm concerned.
    And Stevenson would have two league cup medals as well as a scottish cup medal.

To disregard a player that has done something that not one other single hibs player in all of history has done is crazy.

For me, he is absolutely a hibs legend.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    If you'd take eleven Lewis Stevensons over almost anyone we've had, then that shows a frightening lack of insight on your part, and sums up the Scottish mentality regarding football quite well. Don't worry if you've got ability, kids, just try really hard and even if you can't get a cross to beat the first man after 15 years, you'll still be a legend.

He hasn't, in my book, earned the legend tag, and I've given you a list of eight names who unequivocally are bigger legends than him.

Similarly, the 2016 team might be a legendary team, but not every player is a legend. Indeed, none of them bar Gray are, to me.
    What a load of utter bollocks. Crossing is good, best first touch in the team, positioning excellent and a capped international player to boot.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Imagine being daft enough to post this, never mind appearing to actually believe it.

First goal of our 2016 Scottish cup run was from a Lewis Stevenson cross, so was the first one in the quarter final replay.

He is a Hibs legend and he's a great ****ing player.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Its up to each individual who you class as either, and nothing to do with anyone else.
    Probably true, combined with how different people may define the terms in different ways...it doesn't make for a great forum discussion approach though!

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Absolutely not up for debate that Lewis Stevenson is a Hibs legend, more of a legend than Gray without question IMO
    Could be the least accurate post I've ever read on here, and it faces stiff competition.

Could be the least accurate post I've ever read on here, and it faces stiff competition.
    Nah I think you already have that honour today.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    You must have been some player if your touch or crossing was better than wee 2 medals is.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rehabacrossthesea Wii Code: 4040
    From yourself, it certainly does.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    You must have been some player if your touch or crossing was better than wee 2 medals is.
    Unless I've not been paying attention, I'm not getting paid thousands of pounds a year to play left back for Hibs.

I've just rewatched the Stevenson cross for the first goal at Kirkcaldy in the cup run.

(21 seconds in: https://youtu.be/uR8lXziQNxM)

If you're telling me that's not an abysmal cross, which finds McGregor courtesy of an even worse air kick, then I'm speechless.

The cross at Inverness is of mildly better quality, but still sees two Caley defenders complete mistime their jumps and it goes over them. In other words, they did a fantastic impression of Hanlon and Stevenson's regular shtick.

First part is true, a fact, undebatable, undeniable.

2nd part just my opinion.

Unless I've not been paying attention, I'm not getting paid thousands of pounds a year to play left back for Hibs.

I've just rewatched the Stevenson cross for the first goal at Kirkcaldy in the cup run.

If you're telling me that's not an abysmal cross, which finds McGregor courtesy of an even worse air kick, then I'm speechless.

The cross at Inverness is of mildly better quality, but still sees two Caley defenders complete mistime their jumps and it goes over them. In other words, they did a fantastic impression of Hanlon and Stevenson's regular shtick.
    2 assists, 2 winners medals, 1 legend.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar

Keep it going, there must be more highlights for you to get your kicks from.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

This is an amazing post from a Hibs supporter.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Brown View Post
    This is an amazing post from a Hibs supporter.
    Well, it’s an amazing post.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post
    Keep it going, there must be more highlights for you to get your kicks from.
    Yeah, such as the final where club captain and bonafide legend David Gray powered home a header in the 92nd minute to win us the Scottish Cup, having spent the whole game making lung-busting runs and phenomenal tackles.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Well, it’s an amazing post.
    Sort of what I was getting at!
    Last edited by Here’s Lucy!; 23-07-2019 at 05:10 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Yeah, such as the final where club captain and bonafide legend David Gray powered home a header in the 92nd minute to win us the Scottish Cup, having spent the whole game making lung-busting runs and phenomenal tackles.

Honestly?

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Its up to each individual who you class as either, and nothing to do with anyone else.
    Bah Humbug

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Brown View Post

Honestly?
    Yes Vela is playing

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    Bah Humbug

Yes Vela is playing

Well played, Sammy.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyS View Post
    Maybe not in the final but they all contributed in the cup campaigns.

We wouldn't have got to the Scottish Cup with Malonga's goal or Thomson's headed clearance at Tynie. Neither played in the final but those where big factors in the over all outcome. Not that I'm suggesting either of them are legends though.

Thank goodness

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Only one legend allowed now kids. Bin your idols.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Only one legend allowed now kids. Bin your idols.
    May I please be allowed Pat Stanton?

In light of the Whits thread I thought I would resurect this thread.

For me Whits is a Hibs great he just did not have the longevity or personality to elevate him to legend status. For me it is a narrow miss

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    In light of the Whits thread I thought I would resurect this thread.

For me Whits is a Hibs great he just did not have the longevity or personality to elevate him to legend status. For me it is a narrow miss
    Aw no, not this thread again.

He is one of those extremely small band of Hibs players with a major winners medal so is a legend to me. And no, Dave Beaumont is not a legend, that gets taken away as Lexo should never have given him a place on the bench

Thankfully there is no rights or wrongs on this one.

Pat Stanton is a Hibs Great (and Legend)
    David Gray is a Hibs Legend - for his action that led to glory.

That's my understanding of the words. Gray a legend for the obvious, but in the grand scheme of things, he's never been a great Hibs player - like the real great greats (Stanton).

Benjelloun? 2 goals in a cup final

Testimonial Due
    Wow this is a weird thread. I do think Lewis's crossing has improved over the last few years. Two cup winning medals and all the appearances and his general attitude off and on the pitch makes him a legend.

Quote Originally Posted by FilipinoHibs View Post
    Wow this is a weird thread. I do think Lewis's crossing has improved over the last few years. Two cup winning medals and all the appearances and his general attitude off and on the pitch makes him a legend.
    Outside the Famous five teams I would say he is our biggest legend. 2 Cups, a Championship and over 400 games.

Quote Originally Posted by Barman Stanton View Post
    Outside the Famous five teams I would say he is our biggest legend. 2 Cups, a Championship and over 400 games.
    Absolutely. That's just an empirical fact tbh. You'd think we were constantly lifting cups the way since folk go on about those players that actually have done so.

Anyone who played a sizeable role in our 2016 SC run is, IMO, a legend for example.