hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    In my 27 years, the legend status extends I think to David Gray and John McGinn.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He got us so much nobody has seen him in 20 years

Didnt end well

Already said that

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    There’s a need to be clear about what ‘great’ and ‘legend’ actually mean. I know how I define them but everyone else probably has a variation.

Going back to 21/05/16 then SDG is and can only be a legend. For me, Stokes is a great, not a legend. Hendo is possibly a legend, based on what he did after he came on and his run to the touchline at the final whistle.

That is maybe the difference, that ‘legend’ requires something a bit more sublime than just being ‘great’.

Hanlon and Stevenson were great on the day but I wouldn’t argue they were legends for their match performances, as outstanding as they were, but their reactions to holding up the Cup put them automatically in the legends category, the sheer joy on their faces.

We have had many great players, and many players who have shown greatness at times.

Legend for me means greatness, even if it is fleeting, plus some visible emotional connection to the club.
    All opinions of course but I’m struggling to see how Henderson could be considered a legend if Stokes isn’t!

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar

Hibs Great or Hibs Legend ?

There’s a need to be clear about what ‘great’ and ‘legend’ actually mean. I know how I define them but everyone else probably has a variation.

Going back to 21/05/16 then SDG is and can only be a legend. For me, Stokes is a great, not a legend. Hendo is possibly a legend, based on what he did after he came on and his run to the touchline at the final whistle.

That is maybe the difference, that ‘legend’ requires something a bit more sublime than just being ‘great’.

Hanlon and Stevenson were great on the day but I wouldn’t argue they were legends for their match performances, as outstanding as they were, but their reactions to holding up the Cup put them automatically in the legends category, the sheer joy on their faces.

We have had many great players, and many players who have shown greatness at times.

Legend for me means greatness, even if it is fleeting, plus some visible emotional connection to the club.
    There is absolutely not a doubt about the fact that Lewis Stevenson is a hibs legend.

Not one other single player has won both the league and scottish cup with hibs.

A hibs great? Maybe not. A hibs legend? Undoubtedly.

I’m 26 and would say that LS & SDG are the only hibs legends I’ve seen play for us, although I could include more after further thought.
    Last edited by Alex Trager; 23-07-2019 at 07:05 AM.

In my time supporting Hibs (30 years) I'd only class the trophy winning teams as legends. For me anyway only winning silverware makes you a Hibs legend. There's many greats but not so many legends. Obviously the Tornadoes and the Famous Five were legends too with both winning silverware.

@hibs.net private member
    Sauzee is a legend. Can't believe anyone would think otherwise.

Stokes is also a legend. Obviously Sir David Gray is a legend for being the captain and scoring the winning goal in the Scottish Cup final, but without Stokesy that day, we don't win it. Legend 100%, no doubt in my opinion.

Alan Stubbs Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post

Stokes is also a legend. Obviously Sir David Gray is a legend for being the captain and scoring the winning goal in the Scottish Cup final, but without Stokesy that day, we don't win it. Legend 100%, no doubt in my opinion.

In our illustrious 140 off year history we have won 10 major honours. Each and every player/member of coaching staff from those teams are legends. Others are greats bordering on legend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoalsMcGinley View Post
    In our illustrious 140 off year history we have won 10 major honours. Each and every player/member of coaching staff from those teams are legends. Others are greats bordering on legend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wouldn’t go as far as calling Chris Dagnall or Mark Ocley legends tbh.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Conrad Logan - legend

Practically won us that semi final against Dundee United. I don’t think we would have returned to Hampden on May 21st without his performance in goals that day.

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    I wouldn’t go as far as calling Chris Dagnall or Mark Ocley legends tbh.

Legend has to be something special. Almost by definition you should only have a few of them.

Winning the cup makes you part of a legendary *team* but doesn't give you as a player status as a Hibs legend imo.

Smith, Johnson, Reilly, Turnbull, Ormond, Baker and Stanton will always be on the list.

Sauzee was a fabulous player for us.
    With Latapy the best I've seen in my time watching the Hibs but I wouldn't say either was a legend. Greats? Undoubtedly.

There are others - O'Rourke and SDG are good shouts - but if you give it to every player that won the cup there's no validity to it. If Fyvie and Cummings are legends then Latapy, Sauzee, Deek and a ton of others get on.

Then you have 50 or 60 legends and the term is so diluted it's an insult to the true legends like Turnbull and Reilly.
    Last edited by The Leith Dutch; 23-07-2019 at 08:03 AM.

We have only won 6 cups. So anyone that has won a cup is a legend for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post

Was surprised the amount of people on Social media recently who don't class Sauzee as a Hibs legend. Many were to young to have seen him in fairness. Hey people still wear his image on tshirts and he is many fans favourite ever player. Course he is a legend.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Barman Stanton View Post
    We have only won 6 cups. So anyone that has won a cup is a legend for me.
    Including Mikey Stewart, Brian Hamilton, Dave Beaumont & Simon Brown??

Quote Originally Posted by The Leith Dutch View Post
    Legend has to be something special. Almost by definition you should only have a few of them.

Winning the cup makes you part of a legendary *team* but doesn't give you as a player status as a Hibs legend imo.

Smith, Johnson, Reilly, Turnbull, Ormond, Baker and Stanton will always be on the list.

Sauzee was a fabulous player for us.
    With Latapy the best I've seen in my time watching the Hibs but I wouldn't say either was a legend. Greats? Undoubtedly.

There are others - O'Rourke and SDG are good shouts - but if you give it to every player that won the cup there's no validity to it. If Fyvie and Cummings are legends then Latapy, Sauzee, Deek and a ton of others get on.

Then you have 50 or 60 legends and the term is so diluted it's an insult to the true legends like Turnbull and Reilly.
    I agree with this.

However it is good to hear who others think qualify as legends.

If you are under 30 then I suppose your list will be very different to someone over 50.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Gordon Smith
    Pat Stanton
    Lawrie Reilly
    Joe Baker
    Bobby Johnstone
    Eddie Turnbull
    Willie Ormond
    Sir David Gray
    Lewis Stevenson

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    I don't think anyone will argue with those but what about the rest of the Tornadoe's?

O'Rourke i would say Legend some may not.
    Absolute Legend.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyS View Post
    Including Mikey Stewart, Brian Hamilton, Dave Beaumont & Simon Brown??
    Brian Hamilton yes. He had a good game and almost made it 3 with a cracking shot from outside the box.

The other three didnt play so I personally see that as a bit different.

Was surprised the amount of people on Social media recently who don't class Sauzee as a Hibs legend. Many were to young to have seen him in fairness. Hey people still wear his image on tshirts and he is many fans favourite ever player. Course he is a legend.
    The t-shirt part is interesting as it adds "icon" to legend and great in what we're discussing. Sauzee definitely an icon.

Saw a large percentage of his games from the stand.
    He was amazing.

Met him (and Zitelli) in Margiotta's on Northumberland Street and he was an absolute gent.

One of my all time favourite players for Hibs.

HIBS Historical Trust describe Franck Sauzee as a modern day hibs legend

Good enough for me

http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.u...d-frank-sauzee

https://youtu.be/0_dNDskgVAU

Latapy was no too bad tae

Testimonial Due
    Brian Hamilton yes. He had a good game and almost made it 3 with a cracking shot from outside the box.

The other three didnt play so I personally see that as a bit different.
    Maybe not in the final but they all contributed in the cup campaigns.

We wouldn't have got to the Scottish Cup with Malonga's goal or Thomson's headed clearance at Tynie. Neither played in the final but those where big factors in the over all outcome. Not that I'm suggesting either of them are legends though.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Its up to each individual who you class as either, and nothing to do with anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by The Leith Dutch View Post
    The t-shirt part is interesting as it adds "icon" to legend and great in what we're discussing. Sauzee definitely an icon.

Saw a large percentage of his games from the stand.
    He was amazing.

Met him (and Zitelli) in Margiotta's on Northumberland Street and he was an absolute gent.

One of my all time favourite players for Hibs.
    Sauzee is my favourite player. As close to World Class as us who didnt see the Tornado's are ever likely to see in green. Just strolled through games. But then you don't captain France and play 39 times for them if you are not a top top player.

I think people get too caught up in the meaning of legend. Joe Baker is an example. Obviously scored a crazy amount of goals. But played less games for Hibs than Steven Fletcher and never won anything. Of course he is still a legend though. No right or wrong answer in this, all about personal opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyS View Post
    Maybe not in the final but they all contributed in the cup campaigns.

We wouldn't have got to the Scottish Cup with Malonga's goal or Thomson's headed clearance at Tynie. Neither played in the final but those where big factors in the over all outcome. Not that I'm suggesting either of them are legends though.
    This is very true. All personal opinion. I just think anyone that has been on the pitch when we have won any of our limited cups is a legend. If you want to include players who played in the first round etc, fair enough.

Dave Beaumont certainly isnt though. That f***** hadnt even played a game before Lexo gave him a place on the bench in 91 lol. Should have been Tortolano or Milne on the bench.

The word legend is massively overused in modern football, which in itself has become an overused cliche.

Hibs have had, at a push, about seven or eight players I'd describe as 'legends'.

Dan McMichael,
    Gordon Smith,
    Bobby Johnstone,
    Lawrie Reilly,
    Eddie Turnbull,
    Willie Ormond,
    Pat Stanton,
    David Gray.

Everyone else is a great, or an icon, or a cult hero. To give three examples:

A great - Alan Stubbs
    An icon - Franck Sauzée
    A cult hero - Conrad Logan

(Joe Baker, Willie McCartney and Hugh Shaw are right on the borderline of legend status in my opinion.)
    Last edited by HibeeHibernian4; 23-07-2019 at 08:59 AM.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes

If only Stokes had done something a bit more sublime like score 2 goals and set up the winning corner by almost scoring a third and winning the game himself.

This forum makes me break down laughing sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Legend to Marseille fans

Legend in my eyes

Set his standard with HIBS and never fell below it

The guy was total quality

Is he a HIBS legend?

Won a Championship

I would say yes we will never see the like again
    LEGEND end of...

Hanlon and Stevenson were great on the day but I wouldn’t argue they were legends for their match performances, as outstanding as they were
    This probably isn't going to be a popular opinion, but Lewis Stevenson was...bad that day.

His woeful marking at a corner should've seen Rangers in front, but Kenny Miller inexplicably hit the bar with a free header.

He's even got his head in hands as Miller heads it.

He also pushed Waghorn over in the box early in the second half, which could've easily seen Rangers 2-1 up again.

Again, all the usual caveats of "yes well he tried really hard", but Stevenson's played about two or three hundred better games for Hibs than he played that day.