hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Booing at HT if we are playing poorly or losing is pantomime stuff. It's been going on as long as I can remember and long before that as well, it happens at every ground in the country. It's probably not helpful but I'm sure players both accept it and can brush it off.

It's the personal stuff accompanied by real vitriol aimed at individuals that I can't stand. A one off shout of 'that' s pish' or something in the heat of the moment is one thing, aiming a string of insults at a player in sustained bursts is completely different and the people doing it need to take a look at themselves.
    Nah mate, the fact that I paid an arbitrary sum of money to watch 22 men kick a ball around a field means I can say whatever I want to one of them no matter how aggressive if his ball-kicking performance isn't to my expectations, or if I (as a grown man) have a grudge against him for previous ball-kicking exploits for some godforsaken reason. Free speech, blah blah blah.

2. Log in to remove the advert

The booing wasn't that bad on Saturday ffs. Going by this thread you'd think the team were absolutely slaughtered by the fans. There was some booing at half time but that wasn't entirely undeserved.

Whittaker has had idiots shouting at him since he returned to us. He was decent enough on Saturday, defensively we done ok it was the midfield and forwards that were poor.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    The booing wasn't that bad on Saturday ffs. Going by this thread you'd think the team were absolutely slaughtered by the fans. There was some booing at half time but that wasn't entirely undeserved.

Whittaker has had idiots shouting at him since he returned to us. He was decent enough on Saturday, defensively we done ok it was the midfield and forwards that were poor.
    This is pretty much how it was. There doesn’t seem to be a middle ground anymore on forums and social media, just extremities and exaggeration both ways

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    The booing at half time was also out of order.

I understand that these are technically competitive games, but let’s be serious they’re still friendlies and it’s very early on in the season.

Players are getting their fitness levels up
    Players are getting their sharpness up
    We’re experimenting with personel/tactics

Everyone needs to relax, how can folk expect players to play well and enjoy it when they’re getting boo’d in the second competitive cup game
    Whilst I don't agree with singling out Whittaker for booing, the half time stuff is a different matter IMO. Hibs haven't played well pre-season, and I honestly think that nowadays it is unrealistic and naïve to expect the whole crowd to sit back and make no noise after a dreadful 1st half performance like that. Personally I don't boo players, but people being nice and polite about it doesn't always get the message across. Who knows, it might have been directed at the manager who at his press conference seems to think everything is just fine. People will voice their disapproval after a team plays badly, that's human nature. Over the long term the team could pick up and put in some cracking performances- and those people who continue to boo then shouldn't really be at the game in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Anyone that singles out individuals in a Hibernian jersey to boo is a ****** ramjet.
    Correct 👏
    Booing ANY Hibs player is as bad as cheering on Hearts.
    Defo not a true supporter if doing so! We all get frustrated, but usually our wee moans are amongst friends sitting beside us. No matter how bad a player is doing, I’d still clap any player going off. Believe it or not, they’re not trying to play bad.

Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    Doing nothing is the problem that compounds all of these behaviours.

Step away from the Soapbox and think about what you just put together in one group; racism, sectarianism and...booing players at a football match.

I think I'll form a march at the weekend protesting about Anti-Semitism, Homophobia and Jumping the Queue at the Turnstyles.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    I have been to plenty of games were the sound of the booing at end or HT has certainly been in the 1000s. Why is it destructive to "everyone" else who chooses not to? Maybe some agree but just not wish to join in. I do not think its really black and white.

Where is the actual proof of the booing at say HT being destructive? If team cheered off at HT say after a poor half but came back to win would any of it be down to the positive support given when walking off for teamtalk at HT? Im not saying it is right or wrong I am wondering where the proof of this not helping is.

I actually think the only person who might use the booing as anything would be manager during teamtalk.
    I was actually referring to the booing during games, usually directed at individual players.

However, even the booing at half time is damaging, imo. The opposition players hear it and know they've got the crowd on their opponents back.

Players may start playing with fear. I remember watching Hibs lose to Aberdeen with weeks of the season to go. The players were terrified to make a mistake, there was no running off the ball and they all got rid of it as soon as possible. That's when I knew we were going to be relegated.

They were playing scared and the fans had played a part in creating that environment.

Cue the "It wasn't the fans, it was Butcher" replies. Yes, he was the main culprit, but the booing played its part.

However, we've had this discussion many times before and I have no doubt that we'll have it again.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I was actually referring to the booing during games, usually directed at individual players.

However, even the booing at half time is damaging, imo. The opposition players hear it and know they've got the crowd on their opponents back.

Players may start playing with fear. I remember watching Hibs lose to Aberdeen with weeks of the season to go. The players were terrified to make a mistake, there was no running off the ball and they all got rid of it as soon as possible. That's when I knew we were going to be relegated.

They were playing scared and the fans had played a part in creating that environment.

Cue the "It wasn't the fans, it was Butcher" replies. Yes, he was the main culprit, but the booing played its part.

However, we've had this discussion many times before and I have no doubt that we'll have it again.
    Individuals yes, booing I can then say 3-0 v Falkirk and booed then we comeback. Many many factors are at play and I think on occasion it might just be the one thing at the teamtalk that gets them going.

Surely if you cite booing to the Aberdeen game is it not fair to cite the Falkirk game or even Saturday to counter?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    Individuals yes, booing I can then say 3-0 v Falkirk and booed then we comeback. Many many factors are at play and I think on occasion it might just be the one thing at the teamtalk that gets them going.

Surely if you cite booing to the Aberdeen game is it not fair to cite the Falkirk game or even Saturday to counter?
    At the time I knew someone who was on the staff at Hibs and was in the dressing room at HT during the Falkirk game - I asked him what was said to bring about the second half improvement in performance.

He said that Fenlon didn't get the chance to say anything and that the dressing room was like a war zone. Players were absolutely tearing strips off each other, a wee bit of fisticuffs and a whole load of pushing, shoving and screaming in each others faces. There was no change in tactics, the players just went out for the second half absolutely furious and totally pumped up and had sorted it out amongst themselves.

I don't think they needed to be booed for them to realise the first half wasn't good enough.

It's funny how you think it's all about Churchillian speeches and tactical masterplans but then it isn't really.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    At the time I knew someone who was on the staff at Hibs and was in the dressing room at HT during the Falkirk game - I asked him what was said to bring about the second half improvement in performance.

He said that Fenlon didn't get the chance to say anything and that the dressing room was like a war zone. Players were absolutely tearing strips off each other, a wee bit of fisticuffs and a whole load of pushing, shoving and screaming in each others faces. There was no change in tactics, the players just went out for the second half absolutely furious and totally pumped up and had sorted it out amongst themselves.

I don't think they needed to be booed for them to realise the first half wasn't good enough.

It's funny how you think it's all about Churchillian speeches and tactical masterplans but then it isn't really.
    It is funny how though it can never seem to be put down to the fans were pissed off so lets sort it as it wasnt good enough. If they boo and we go on to win some other factors come into play to show the booing had nothing to do with it. I think if the players were all fighting maybe if booed it pissed them off more who knows.

Have hated the booing for many a year. Used to be worse before relegation (understandable) but not too bad now. I have long dreaded the day when it comes back for good, it makes Easter Road a horribly embarrassing place to watch football. It's basically pre-season, a game we won. I think Whittaker is past it to put it kindly but I wouldn't boo him. I think I maybe boo'ed after the Hamilton game but that seemed fair enough at the time. Not trying to über-fan here, just don't think it helps anyone.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HarpLife View Post
    Have hated the booing for many a year. Used to be worse before relegation (understandable) but not too bad now. I have long dreaded the day when it comes back for good, it makes Easter Road a horribly embarrassing place to watch football. It's basically pre-season, a game we won. I think Whittaker is past it to put it kindly but I wouldn't boo him. I think I maybe boo'ed after the Hamilton game but that seemed fair enough at the time. Not trying to über-fan here, just don't think it helps anyone.
    Why is it embarrassing? The fans of every other club boo at HT if not doing well. No worse here than anywhere else.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HarpLife View Post
    It’s all about opinions, but I find your statement a bit contradictory. You’re dreading things and finding the booing embarrassing, yet in the next sentence you totally dismiss a guy who always gives 100% when he plays.

Some right delicate wee souls going to the football, maybe they would be better off spending their time knitting and playing a jolly good game of gin rummy then they can let us passionate fans get on with the job of booing, shouting and singing without fear of offending their sensibilities. ‘