hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    @hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Clash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So let me get this right? We are sabre rattling with Iran over a Swedish owned tanker that’s operating under a ‘Flag of Convenience’ (FOC) by a UK company who refuse to employ UK ratings; instead exploiting seafarers from across the globe on £1.75 an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It’s flying a British Flag. It’s our problem. Doesn’t matter who owns it or crews it.

https://www.ukshipregister.co.uk/abo...ag-advantages/

J

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Regular Johnny Clash's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristolhibby View Post
    It’s flying a British Flag. It’s our problem. Doesn’t matter who owns it or crews it.

https://www.ukshipregister.co.uk/abo...ag-advantages/

J
    Yes - sadly FOCs allow exploitative ship owners to engage in ‘social dumping’. I’m not saying Iran was right seizing the Swedish ship that was flying a uk flag but neither do I think it’s right paying any workers £1.75 an hour on ‘3 months on 2 - weeks off’ rotas. Why was the Swedish ship not flying the Swedish flag? Sweden has a strong code and at the forefront of Maritime safety. Swedish registered ships also entitle employees working on those ships to seafarers’ income, which isn’t £1.75 an hour!!!

Seems the owners were well aware of the cost cutting (as made clear in that link you just posted) that a uk flag would offer. Should be one rate for the job regardless of your nationality.

Yes - sadly FOCs allow exploitative ship owners to engage in ‘social dumping’. I’m not saying Iran was right seizing the Swedish ship that was flying a uk flag but neither do I think it’s right paying any workers £1.75 an hour on ‘3 months on 2 - weeks off’ rotas. Why was the Swedish ship not flying the Swedish flag? Sweden has a strong code and at the forefront of Maritime safety. Swedish registered ships also entitle employees working on those ships to seafarers’ income, which isn’t £1.75 an hour!!!

Seems the owners were well aware of the cost cutting (as made clear in that link you just posted) that a uk flag would offer. Should be one rate for the job regardless of your nationality.

When I was at sea many of us refused to sail under a flag of convenience. Seeing the Red Ensign become one itself is pretty sad.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member StevieC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    They’ve got two tankers now.
    Is it more of a game of Top Trumps then?
    .. rather than a diplomatic situation?
    But you know it ain't all about wealth,
    as long as you make a note to .. EXPRESS YOURSELF!

First Team Regular GORDONSMITH7's Avatar

Spot on Johnny. That is the way I read it. My auld man, 20 years dead now was in the Merchant Navy sailing from Leith, in incalculable more dangerous times for a seafairer, during the Second World war. He despise the, Liberian flag and pitiful conditions stuff that evolved decades later.
    I do not know which I am prouder off his odds against survival in the Arctic Convoy/ Sea of Japan or being so Hibs daft that he insisted on calling me in 1954 after his hero. No not Churchill, Montgomery et al. but Gordon Smith. Thanks Dad.

BIG G
    Last edited by GORDONSMITH7; 25-07-2019 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GORDONSMITH7 View Post
    Spot on Johnny. That is the way I read it. My auld man, 20 years dead now was in the Merchant Navy sailing from Leith, in incalculable more dangerous times for a seafairer, during the Second World war. He despise the, Liberian flag and pitiful conditions stuff that evolved decades later.
    I do not know which I am prouder off his odds against survival in the Arctic Convoy/ Sea of Japan or being so Hibs daft that he insisted on calling me in 1954 after his hero. No not Churchill, Montgomery et al. but Gordon Smith. Thanks Dad.

BIG G
    Ben Line by any chance?
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.