hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mark McGraw. Shocking tackle pretty much gubbed his career.

Really liked him.

2. Log in to remove the advert

James Collins

Feel like we have had a whole bunch of good young centre back prospects that have all dropped away for a number of reasons, Jonathan Baillie, Mark Dempsie et al.

Oh and Damon Gray of course to add to the list...

Handling, skillful player who acted like he'd made it instead of knuckling down and being the best he can be. Darren NcCormack, very good promise but a wee bit of a bad lad attitude.

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    Schoolboy football coaches in Dublin will tell you that Robbie Keane was only the second best striker they've seen come up through the ranks there in the last 30 years. The best was Anthony Stokes.

Absolutely no brains or commitment to go with his talent though and now he's in the Turkish Second Division at 30. Being honest he should never have been anywhere near Hibs during his career. A shame for him but it worked out well for Hibs I guess.

Other than him, definitely Riordan. Attitude the problem there as well.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Slight exaggeration with your last sentence.

I read some court statements and several quotes from the lad himself so I don't think I'm that far out.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Paul McGlinchley
    Hugh Hamil
    Lindsay Muir
    Willie Paterson
    Alex McGhee

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    Slight exaggeration with your last sentence.
    Maybe but from your picture it looks like you're giving it a good go.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Craig Rocastle. Was absolutely imperious during his loan spell at Easter Road, then went on (as far I’m aware) to fade into obscurity.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by mayo hibee View Post
    Schoolboy football coaches in Dublin will tell you that Robbie Keane was only the second best striker they've seen come up through the ranks there in the last 30 years. The best was Anthony Stokes.

Absolutely no brains or commitment to go with his talent though and now he's in the Turkish Second Division at 30. Being honest he should never have been anywhere near Hibs during his career. A shame for him but it worked out well for Hibs I guess.

Other than him, definitely Riordan. Attitude the problem there as well.
    Derek had a great attitude towards football - Hibs were and are his club. A 'homebird' was perhaps his issue. Best natural talent I've seen, indeed, the great Eddie Turnbull thought so too.

His hangers on off the field certainly hindered him - but a cracking lad without the nonsense 'mates' around him

Ross Caldwell
    Danny Galbraith
    I thought should have done more

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Zoubir, still playing at Europa League level

Kevin McKee. Class left wingers such as Davie Cooper & Peter Weir struggled against him. Unfortunately, he was doing such a number on Cooper at Ibrox that one ****bag leapt onto the park and attacked him. Kevin was never the same after that, confidence seemed to desert him.

@hibs.net private member
    Kevin McCann. He looked a cracking player when he burst onto the scene and ready to replace whittaker when he left. Injuries really scuppered him. Ended up not getting back into the team ahead of van zanten and hart!!

Barry Lavety came to us with high hopes and there was definite potential about him. Obviously had a bit of bother with his weight and perhaps general attitude (I say perhaps as I don’t know the guy, just going by what I saw) but I always thought he could have been a player.

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Callum Booth - watched him as a youngster and breaking into the side and what a player and talent he was. Perhaps confidence was knocked and perhaps timing didn't help (coming into a poor Hibs side and era). But that lad could play.

I'd also add Sean Welsh to the list. Again, timing is everything in football but he was a terrific young player.

Both very good, Sean in particular looked something special but it just never seemed to happen for him.

Scott Smith was another who looked to have something about him, but just never seemed to push on.

Ross Caldwell, rumoured to have let his ego exceed his work rate and application.

also agree that deeks never looked quite the same player after Celtic, and should have gone further in the game.

@hibs.net private member
    In the mid 90s I thought Graeme Donald would become a top player, scored a few goals for a defender but he ended up going down the leagues, memory is a bit hazy but think he may have had a bad injury at Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    Craig Rocastle. Was absolutely imperious during his loan spell at Easter Road, then went on (as far I’m aware) to fade into obscurity.
    Played for Sheffield wednesday after us I think,dunno what happened to him after that

Quote Originally Posted by gloryhunter View Post
    I read some court statements and several quotes from the lad himself so I don't think I'm that far out.
    So you're saying he lost most of his wealth snorting coke? Not cars, houses, bad investments, hand outs? Just coke?

Would love to read these court statements.

Quote Originally Posted by gloryhunter View Post
    So you're saying he lost most of his wealth snorting coke? Not cars, houses, bad investments, hand outs? Just coke?

Would love to read these court statements. Because that's a huge amount of powder up his nostrils.

Chic Charnley. Had s*** loads of ability but was absolute nuts. Looked class in a brutal team for the short time we had him and there was even chat of a Scottish call up.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Stephen Glass was a disappointment for me. He had a big reputation when Hibs signed him. He wasn’t bad by any means, but I expected way more. Another one like that was Stevie Crawford. Cost a fair bit of money, was talented but never really delivered for Hibs.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    The laddie Palson ( spelling ) who we had on loan . First couple of games he looked a super star but then he didn’t.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Jonathon Johanson and Khuki were brutal also .
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Agree with Riordan and Garry O - could have done so much more, but loved what I saw of them here.

Alex H, Sam Stanton and Callum Booth all suffered from being so good that lots of us expected them to carry a team that was p*&s poor and had a lot of older, more experienced journeymen who, had we signed proper players for those roles, would have been taking the pressure off the young ones and letting them come in and make mistakes because these older guys had got that covered.

Kevin Harper - didn't he get a hat-trick on a Scotland B and then never made it further? Scored against Liverpool too (for Derby?) Loved watching him as a player.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weir07 View Post
    In the mid 90s I thought Graeme Donald would become a top player, scored a few goals for a defender but he ended up going down the leagues, memory is a bit hazy but think he may have had a bad injury at Hibs.
    I was going to mention him. I remember when he first broke into the team he seemed to have a habit of scoring after coming off the bench.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    Graham Love.

Chris Reid.
    Really , never seen anything that would make me think they should have done better , they were both pretty limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I was going to mention him. I remember when he first broke into the team he seemed to have a habit of scoring after coming off the bench.
    Was he one of those players who was a CH but had originally been a striker and was sometimes played as both, depending on the situation?

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Think Chris worked as a security guard with one of the big stores after football - nice lad year below me at Hutchy.
    Are you sure you’re not mixing him up with Jason Gardiner who was a store detective at Jenner’s after football?

Allan obrien...we are still to see the best of him