hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Players who should have done better

The obvious ones that spring to mind for me are Riordan and O'Connor. Two absolutely cracking players in their day but never ended up reaching the heights they should have done. Had better decisions been made and they'd stayed away from some of the nonsense they could have been Premier League class and had a lot more caps for Scotland.

Many of the younger laddies as well, perhaps not the calibre of player as Riordan and O'Connor but still could have been a bit more successful. Alex Harris broke into the first team and everyone thought we had a wonderkid on our hands, his performance v Falkirk in the 2013 SC semi was unreal but after he came back from what was albeit a pretty horrible injury, he was just never the same. Always felt he looked a bit timid when he came back, which may well have been the psychological effect from the injury right enough. Danny Handling as well is another one who I think liked the lifestyle of a football player (smart clothes and flash spending etc) but I don't think was dedicated enough to work hard. Heard from a pretty reliable source that Danny was a bit more interested in going out drinking with his pals. I was never a massive Handling fan as always felt he was a bit light weight but who knows how he might have turned out had he given a bit more commitment to his fitness and lifestyle.

Left by mutual consent!
    Mark Dempsey.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Leigh. Much more potential than Celtic.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Also, Alex Harris. Lost something when injured but for 3 months he looked the real deal.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Coaching Staff
    Callum Booth - watched him as a youngster and breaking into the side and what a player and talent he was. Perhaps confidence was knocked and perhaps timing didn't help (coming into a poor Hibs side and era). But that lad could play.

I'd also add Sean Welsh to the list. Again, timing is everything in football but he was a terrific young player.

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Callum Booth - watched him as a youngster and breaking into the side and what a player and talent he was. Perhaps confidence was knocked and perhaps timing didn't help (coming into a poor Hibs side and era). But that lad could play.

I'd also add Sean Welsh to the list. Again, timing is everything in football but he was a terrific young player.

Both very good, Sean in particular looked something special but it just never seemed to happen for him.

Scott Smith was another who looked to have something about him, but just never seemed to push on.

Ross Caldwell, rumoured to have let his ego exceed his work rate and application.

also agree that deeks never looked quite the same player after Celtic, and should have gone further in the game.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    Both very good, Sean in particular looked something special but it just never seemed to happen for him.

Scott Smith was another who looked to have something about him, but just never seemed to push on.

Ross Caldwell, rumoured to have let his ego exceed his work rate and application.

also agree that deeks never looked quite the same player after Celtic, and should have gone further in the game.
    Didn’t Sean get released after that **** with Jimmy Scott?

I've no idea if injury blighted his career after he left Hibs but I liked Jay Shields, industrious tough tackler. I was surprised he never made it in the championship or in the lower reaches, maybe someone can enlighten me.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakeyhibee View Post
    I've no idea if injury blighted his career after he left Hibs but I liked Jay Shields, industrious tough tackler. I was surprised he never made it in the championship or in the lower reaches, maybe someone can enlighten me.
    I was amazed so many folk rated him. I didn’t see it at all. Plenty heart and loved a tackle, but looked well out of place to me.

Was on a building site tiling a job I was on few months back.

@hibs.net private member
    Stokes, with the right attitude and commitment, could have played in the EPL for a decent club. Pure waste.

Whatever happened to Benjie? I just watched the highlights of the cup game where he scored two crackers against Aberdeen. On his day he was a very skilful player but didn't turn it on often enough.

Quote Originally Posted by gloryhunter View Post
    Stokes, with the right attitude and commitment, could have played in the EPL for a decent club. Pure waste.

Whatever happened to Benjie? I just watched the highlights of the cup game where he scored two crackers against Aberdeen. On his day he was a very skilful player but didn't turn it on often enough.
    Stokes' attitude never bettered with age unfortunately, he never matured. With the right attitude he's another one that would have gone onto better things.

Brilliant player on his day but a stinking attitude. Too busy swaggering about thinking he was Billy Baws and that he could do whatever he wanted.

Shame because his goals in the final make him a hibs hero, its just a shame his time at hibs ended under a dark cloud but you cant have someone causing trouble and thinking theyre bigger and better than everyone else. That's toxic to have in a dressing room.

Played for Newtongrange Star a season or so ago

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by JDT View Post
    Played for Newtongrange Star a season or so ago
    ......and had the worst car I've ever seen a player drive a Suzuki Vitara thing that bounced on the road more than the seats in an Austin Allegro

Good wee player was Jay

Left by mutual consent!
    I could probably name dozens if I took the time required to think about it, but off the top of my head...

Alex Harris
    Anthony Stokes (in his final spell with us)
    Danny Swanson
    Mark McGraw
    John Brogan (going back a bit!)

Left by mutual consent!
    Injuries, attitude. He worked very hard to get where he was and then it all went to pot. His brothers has had a really good career at that lower level, sure Dene played with Riordan at Granton.

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    I'll never forget the game where he marked Dado Prso out of the game, had him safely in his back pocket for the full 90, including in the air, despite being about 2ft shorter than him

First Team Regular
    Sam Stanton. Best player on the park in a 1-0 victory over Celtic a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Hibee View Post
    Sam Stanton. Best player on the park in a 1-0 victory over Celtic a few years back.
    I think the only thing Sam lacked was a bit more strength. A bit more time in the gym could have helped him become a top player imo.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    I think the only thing Sam lacked was a bit more strength. A bit more time in the gym could have helped him become a top player imo.
    He also majorly lacked any confidence / resilience. a symptom of having the bad lack of being brought through into such a poor Hibs side. Any mistake our support got straight on their backs.

He didn't play that game.

He got burnt out in that season.

Jamie McCluskey was one of the most skilful players from that era. Waste.

Non Hibs is Chris Johnston from Kilmarnock. Burst onto the scene but last seen in the fourth division or something.

Joe Newell 😉

Garry o Connor played and scored for Scotland, played and scored in the English premiership, including at the Emirates, won a cup in Russia and made a ton of money.

How much are folk expecting him to have achieved that he's "under achieved".

@hibs.net private member
    /
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Garry o Connor played and scored for Scotland, played and scored in the English premiership, including at the Emirates, won a cup in Russia and made a ton of money.

How much are folk expecting him to have achieved that he's "under achieved".
    A bit of length to his career? If your post is not tongue in cheek you must realise he had it all in his own hands and he *ucked it up. Most of his "ton of money" went up his nose.

/

A bit of length to his career? If your post is not tongue in cheek you must realise he had it all in his own hands and he *ucked it up. Most of his "ton of money" went up his nose.
    Slight exaggeration with your last sentence.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    Slight exaggeration with your last sentence.

I read some court statements and several quotes from the lad himself so I don't think I'm that far out.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Paul McGlinchley
    Hugh Hamil
    Lindsay Muir
    Willie Paterson
    Alex McGhee

I read some court statements and several quotes from the lad himself so I don't think I'm that far out.
    So you're saying he lost most of his wealth snorting coke? Not cars, houses, bad investments, hand outs? Just coke?

Would love to read these court statements.