hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    @hibs.net private member barcahibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Reading this thread I am so ashamed. I found a wasps bike at my front door yesterday morning and called in a very nice man who killed the wasps and destroyed the nest. Perhaps I should be more accommodating of our fellow species on this remarkable planet we share.

Or maybe there is a balance that needs to be kept that allows all species to have their space. I do agree we should not be wiping out species for the sake of a minor irritant though. However there are some idiots out there who want to reintroduce wolves to this country 😏
    There is no natural balance in this country, we destroyed that long ago by killing everything that inconveniences us.

Not having a go at you because I'm sure most people would have done the same, but in the vast majority of cases there is no need to kill wasps or destroy their nests. Wasps don't sting unless they are protecting themselves or their nests so most of the time if you leave them alone they'll leave you alone.

If you can't leave them - maybe because they're in a position where you just can't avoid them, or maybe because someone in the household has a wasp sting allergy, then any reputable pest control organisation should offer the chance to move the nest and relocate it rather than destroy it. It's easy to do, it's just more inconvenient.

Peoples fear of wasps is mainly hysteria (apart of course from those few who are allergic). Wasps do amazing things for us, they pollinate flowers and food crops, they eat garden pests and they kill and eat huge numbers of flies.

I agree that wolves shouldn't come back until we've restored enough of their forest habitat, it probably won't happen in my lifetime, but they will come back and it will be a totally positive thing for our environment. And after wolves we can look at bears.

Lynx will be back much quicker. But lynx are quiet and secretive, they shouldn't inconvenience anyone.

They might even eat any gulls they can catch...

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    This sounds like a genuine threat to national - and possibly world - security.

I think a COBRA meeting will be convened anytime now. The deployment of Special Forces seems inevitable.

I wonder if we may have to bypass the Geneva Convention laws pertaining to the use of Chemical and Biological weapons.

I wonder - god forgive me for even having to think this let alone say it - if a nuke may be required?!

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by barcahibs View Post
    There is no natural balance in this country, we destroyed that long ago by killing everything that inconveniences us.

Not having a go at you because I'm sure most people would have done the same, but in the vast majority of cases there is no need to kill wasps or destroy their nests. Wasps don't sting unless they are protecting themselves or their nests so most of the time if you leave them alone they'll leave you alone.

If you can't leave them - maybe because they're in a position where you just can't avoid them, or maybe because someone in the household has a wasp sting allergy, then any reputable pest control organisation should offer the chance to move the nest and relocate it rather than destroy it. It's easy to do, it's just more inconvenient.

Peoples fear of wasps is mainly hysteria (apart of course from those few who are allergic). Wasps do amazing things for us, they pollinate flowers and food crops, they eat garden pests and they kill and eat huge numbers of flies.

I agree that wolves shouldn't come back until we've restored enough of their forest habitat, it probably won't happen in my lifetime, but they will come back and it will be a totally positive thing for our environment. And after wolves we can look at bears.

Lynx will be back much quicker. But lynx are quiet and secretive, they shouldn't inconvenience anyone.

They do eat dead gulls as witnessed outside my house this week ! I admit to being scared silly of wasps and take great pleasure in killing them - i will rely on bees for pollunation and at least they produce honey 😁

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barcahibs View Post

Wasps do sting for fun, they are the evil *******s of the insect world and having been victim of their violence more times than I can remember, I ‘m sorry but relocation can gtf. I don’t care what they do, having them living in your attic is no fun. They will find a way, via vents or extractors and come in to your house.

I’m a non violent, pacifistic, dairy free, free loving,, non judgemental kind, but Vespasian and his pals can do one.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Wasps do sting for fun, they are the evil *******s of the insect world and having been victim of their violence more times than I can remember, I ‘m sorry but relocation can gtf. I don’t care what they do, having them living in your attic is no fun. They will find a way, via vents or extractors and come in to your house.

I’m a non violent, pacifistic, dairy free, free loving,, non judgemental kind, but Vespasian and his pals can do one.

Pah - I had this come into my house a couple of months back. Small and non venomous but superb at focusing the mind first thing in the morning lol....

Snake.jpg

Jamie GULLan. Jamie GULLan. Jamie GULLan.

Just trying to keep this football-related

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    Pah - I had this come into my house a couple of months back. Small and non venomous but superb at focusing the mind first thing in the morning lol....

Snake.jpg
    A snake in the grass that one. Only ever seen a dead one.

What really annoys me about the wasp....the gunts can give it the old rapid fire sting. On a job on Loch Shiel, just arrived at Eilean Fiannan ( an ancient burial Island, very sacred and used for many centuries) with a colleague and accompanied by the regional archaeologist for the Highlands ( a woman already mildly offended by our macho attitude to starting the reluctant to fire engine on our daft wee boat. Colleague said he’d never seen anything like it as I inexplicably ripped my top off and then went totally radge, jumping on it. Buckin wasp doon the jumoer, giving it laldy, the dirty wee bassa.

A snake in the grass that one. Only ever seen a dead one.

What really annoys me about the wasp....the gunts can give it the old rapid fire sting. On a job on Loch Shiel, just arrived at Eilean Fiannan ( an ancient burial Island, very sacred and used for many centuries) with a colleague and accompanied by the regional archaeologist for the Highlands ( a woman already mildly offended by our macho attitude to starting the reluctant to fire engine on our daft wee boat. Colleague said he’d never seen anything like it as I inexplicably ripped my top off and then went totally radge, jumping on it. Buckin wasp doon the jumoer, giving it laldy, the dirty wee bassa.
    You are mentally damaged mate

@hibs.net private member barcahibs's Avatar

Yeah fair enough if they're actually in your house even I wouldn't object to moving them :) but if it happens again it really shouldn't be a problem for pest control to just move them (a long way away if you like!) rather than kill them.

I surveyed bees and wasps for years, poking about their nests etc. and have only been stung twice - both times it was my fault for not paying attention and crushing a wasp under my hands.

I don't love wasps tbh, they can be a pain in autumn when they're dieing off and are desperate for sugar, but I like flies even less so anything that eats flies is good by me.

Unless we're playing Alloa anytime soon though this is starting to get away from a main board thread...

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    Reintroducing wolves can be a good thing.
    https://youtu.be/ysa5OBhXz-Q
    Well worth a watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep seen it and read books on it. All that guff about dear learning to be dear again. Thing is wolves don’t much care if dinner is venison, lamb or beef. Maybe even children although generally not. The “big bad wolf” thing does give wolves a bad press but not all of it unjustified. This country has changed beyond recognition since we had wolves and is not an environment where wolves and people, including domestic animals, could live alongside one and other. Madness to suggest otherwise.
    There are plenty that would agree with me in the areas surrounding Yellowstone.
    Last edited by CentreLine; 19-07-2019 at 05:24 AM.

@hibs.net private member Sean1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsdaft View Post
    Good post. I absolutely despise urban gulls - they seem to be getting bigger and bigger and can genuinely be intimidating if they're gathering in numbers - but it's clearly a more complicated subject than I ever realised.

Is there an argument that their (apparently) growing strength and number in an urban context is affecting other species?
    I remember being in Dundee for uni and some of the gulls there are closer related to dragons than other birds, massive. They all hang around the city centre too and essentially square up to you if you come within 10 metres of their patch. Down with the Young Mental Gulls.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    Reading this thread I am so ashamed. I found a wasps bike at my front door yesterday morning and called in a very nice man who killed the wasps and destroyed the nest. Perhaps I should be more accommodating of our fellow species on this remarkable planet we share.

Or maybe there is a balance that needs to be kept that allows all species to have their space. I do agree we should not be wiping out species for the sake of a minor irritant though. However there are some idiots out there who want to reintroduce wolves to this country 😏
    What clever wasps you’ve got down your way!!!