hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Doonhamer Gull Horror

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...tland-49002546

Surprised this hasn’t been mentioned today. Hitchcock on the Nith.

2. Log in to remove the advert

"We will continue to pursue other ways to deter them," the club added.
    Does that mean they're trying to sign Callum Booth?
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

I’d exterminate those f*****s, and I mean the gulls

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glory Lurker View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...tland-49002546

Surprised this hasn’t been mentioned today. Hitchcock on the Nith.
    Probably more seagulls than fans at the game

@hibs.net private member
    It sounds like the ground staff have been winging it.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    They're a bloody menace. There's at least one pair nesting on top of Forrester High School and every Tuesday when I've been taking my son there for swimming in the evenings if you have the nerve to go for a walk around the school the male dive bombs and attacks people. Shoot them all.

Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    They're a bloody menace. There's at least one pair nesting on top of Forrester High School and every Tuesday when I've been taking my son there for swimming in the evenings if you have the nerve to go for a walk around the school the male dive bombs and attacks people. Shoot them all.
    Why do we have to put up with them?

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Joe6-2 View Post

IDK but I'll tell you what, Glory Lurker has come up with one of the all time best thread titles with this one.

I’ll bring my .22 rifle over, only should take about an hour

IDK but I'll tell you what, Glory Lurker has come up with one of the all time best thread titles with this one.
    Blush!

@hibs.net private member
    They are protected species

"All species of gull are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 and the Wildlife (Northern Ireland) Order 1985. This makes it illegal to intentionally or, in Scotland and Northern Ireland, recklessly injure or kill any gull or damage or destroy an active nest or its contents."

As per the RSPB

I’d exterminate those f*****s, and I mean the gulls
    They’re vicious buggers. I used to work in an office where the gulls would chase pigeons, forcing them to crash into the full length windows. The concussed pigeon was then torn apart by the gull. Not a great sight at lunchtime.

Quote Originally Posted by w pilton hibby View Post

"All species of gull are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 and the Wildlife (Northern Ireland) Order 1985. This makes it illegal to intentionally or, in Scotland and Northern Ireland, recklessly injure or kill any gull or damage or destroy an active nest or its contents."

As per the RSPB
    I don’t agree with hurting creatures, but these things are a f***ing nuisance,

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crab apple View Post
    They’re vicious buggers. I used to work in an office where the gulls would chase pigeons, forcing them to crash into the full length windows. The concussed pigeon was then torn apart by the gull. Not a great sight at lunchtime.
    Haha, where I work on the bottom floor of the office there is a ‘glass curtain’ - aka - a row of windows and you can sit and watch the gulls trying to swallow baby rabbits whole to the horror of the animal lovers.

As per the RSPB
    They might be protected, but at 5 in the morning who's watching

Left by mutual consent!

As per the RSPB
    I'm sure most people realise they are a protected species but few know why? Generations of them living in towns have never seen the sea and wouldnt know a fish if it slapped them on the beak. It just seems a strange decision to protect something so at odds with day to day life for the rest of us. As has been said they attack humans and are now brave enough in many places to swoop down and steal food out your hand.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangkok Hibby View Post
    I'm sure most people realise they are a protected species but few know why? Generations of them living in towns have never seen the sea and wouldnt know a fish if it slapped them on the beak. It just seems a strange decision to protect something so at odds with day to day life for the rest of us. As has been said they attack humans and are now brave enough in many places to swoop down and steal food out your hand.
    Agree... Heck, we cull blooming cute bambis cause they eat too much grass/Heather on the grouse moors.... Surely to God people are higher up the chain than Grouse? Let's do a bit of seagull culling :-/

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Aye,, kill off a species cos they annoy us! They were here before us and if anything needs to change it’s us! Our slovenly behaviour encourages gulls and other species to scavenge in land. Not their fault..Mon the burdz! 🦅

Interesting to read in the article that the club (QotS FC) has tried "various things" to sort out their seagulls.

That's the kind of vagueness you get from a lower league journeymen groundsman. He wouldn't get away with that at a club of Hibs stature.

Quote Originally Posted by Wee Effen Bee View Post
    Aye,, kill off a species cos they annoy us! They were here before us and if anything needs to change it’s us! Our slovenly behaviour encourages gulls and other species to scavenge in land. Not their fault..Mon the burdz! 🦅
    👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

@hibs.net private member GordonHFC's Avatar
    Is it still legal to shoot the eggs?
    I know East Lothian Council used to do this a number of years ago but not sure if they still do.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar

@hibs.net private member Arch Stanton's Avatar
    If this happens here they could wipe out humanity and inherit the earth. End of free chips for them!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-48916923

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Wee Effen Bee View Post

They don't need to be wiped out as a species, just controlled to a reasonable point. Inland and in the cities they are effectively an invasive species whose protection comes at a cost to other species.

I'm an RSPB member and even I don't think their untouchable status makes sense. They're a magnificent bird but in the wrong context they're a pestilential nuisance for people and other animals. And they've gotten worse despite our improved behaviour - ie we now have lidded bins everywhere instead of plastic disposal bags so our behaviour is if anything less slovenly - or at least more waste secure.

Mind you, bring back the wolves I say.

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    They don't need to be wiped out as a species, just controlled to a reasonable point. Inland and in the cities they are effectively an invasive species whose protection comes at a cost to other species.

I'm an RSPB member and even I don't think their untouchable status makes sense. They're a magnificent bird but in the wrong context they're a pestilential nuisance for people and other animals. And they've gotten worse despite our improved behaviour - ie we now have lidded bins everywhere instead of plastic disposal bags so our behaviour is if anything less slovenly - or at least more waste secure.

Mind you, bring back the wolves I say.
    They are thriving because they are a successful scavenger species with no natural predators.

In times gone by they would have had bears, wolves and eagles predating on them and their eggs but man has created an eco imbalance in their favour.

They do eat rabbits and pigeons though so not all bad, although they still need controlled to an extent.

They are living animals that feel pain and we have no right to shoot them. They may dive bomb you as they are nesting, just protecting their chick. For what it's worth, I recently took a trip to Isle of May. Arctic Terns do dive bomb you but the Seagulls, even with their chicks near you didn't. It surprised me and showed they aren't really aggressive towards us humans or at least compared to other sea bird species.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Paloschi View Post
    They are living animals that feel pain and we have no right to shoot them. They may dive bomb you as they are nesting, just protecting their chick. For what it's worth, I recently took a trip to Isle of May. Arctic Terns do dive bomb you but the Seagulls, even with their chicks near you didn't. It surprised me and showed they aren't really aggressive towards us humans or at least compared to other sea bird species.

That position would mean that no animals should ever be harmed for any reason.

In New Zealand they are fighting a range of invasive species - carp are the ones I am most aware of as I am an angler - and without an annual cull their river systems would be completely overwhelmed. The same goes for a number of on-land species.

What are QoS supposed to about their horror gulls?

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    Best thread title in memory.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Drive them back into the sea where they belong.

United we stand here....

Left by mutual consent!

As per the RSPB
    Clearly a lot of rednecks in our support (like the Yams), who'd happily take a gun to wildlife.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk