hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 60

Thread: The 2019 Open

  1. #1
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    40,909

    The 2019 Open

    Who do you fancy for the Open next weekend?

    McIlroy is favourite, but I'm not sure he's worth a punt these days.

    Paddy Power and Coral are offering 10 EW places, with Bet365 paying 8, but maybe with slightly better odds.

    I don't bet much, but I like a small wager on the Open.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    42
    Posts
    11,206
    It's hard to see beyond Koepka.

    He always seems to be up there at the majors, so the 10 places being paid gives you your money back plus a wee bit on top.

    Cabrera-Bello and Wiesberger have been good on links courses in recent weeks.

    I've got a wee wager on Andrea Pavan at 300/1, he's won on the European Tour recently and had a good week at the Scottish Open last week.

    There are a few decent Scottish players coming through at the moment too - Robert McIntyre and Grant Forrest will have played a lot of competitive links golf in their time and have been quite impressive in recent weeks/ months.

    I don't fancy Rory for whatever reason, Woods neither.

  4. #3
    @hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    49
    Posts
    6,951
    Justin Thomas enjoyed a decent four days scoring at The Renaissance, so quite fancy him to carry that on and have a good Open. Xander Schauffele was joint runner up last year so heís one Iím keeping an eye on. Koepka will be up there for sure, but for British interest I fancy Matt Fitzpatrick to do well, as will McIlroy I feel. Rory wonít have the same pressure as he does at Augusta to complete the grand slam, but I think heíll ride on the goodwill and occasion this week.
    Going to be a great tournament.

  5. #4
    Testimonial Due Hibee87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Leith
    Posts
    2,463
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: hibee-87
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's hard to see beyond Koepka.

    He always seems to be up there at the majors, so the 10 places being paid gives you your money back plus a wee bit on top.

    Cabrera-Bello and Wiesberger have been good on links courses in recent weeks.

    I've got a wee wager on Andrea Pavan at 300/1, he's won on the European Tour recently and had a good week at the Scottish Open last week.

    There are a few decent Scottish players coming through at the moment too - Robert McIntyre and Grant Forrest will have played a lot of competitive links golf in their time and have been quite impressive in recent weeks/ months.

    I don't fancy Rory for whatever reason, Woods neither.
    Im sticking a few rupees on Pavan, mainly because he is now a Hibee but only getting 250/1 at laddies.

    Also an outside E/W bet on McDowell, who like McIllroy, is playing at his 'home' course.

    Realistically though it is hard to see past Koepka as you say.

  6. #5
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    I live for dull football
    Posts
    40,909
    I think Matt Wallace might turn up and I'd love Eddie Pev to do well.

    The fact that McDowell qualified with his last, huge putt, forces the romantic in me to have a small EW interest in him on his home course.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!



  7. #6
    Will be betting Rickie Fowler as I have done at every major for years, gotta happen one day!!

  8. #7
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    42
    Posts
    11,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Matt Wallace might turn up and I'd love Eddie Pev to do well.

    The fact that McDowell qualified with his last, huge putt, forces the romantic in me to have a small EW interest in him on his home course.
    Wallace is a good shout.

    He's up there almost every week and has done well at a couple of majors in the USA.

    I've backed him quite a lot and he's won (and lost) me a fortune.

    He's just that little bit temperamental and that makes it hard to trust him not to do something daft when it matters most.

    Decent odds and a good shout for at least getting into the top 10.

  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    13,927
    Koepka - It's a major so he'll be there or thereabouts and the fact that he has a local caddy will be of great benefit.

    Stenson- running into form and a great bet at 28/1.

    Justin Rose - Also 28/1, I'm betting on him only because I normally do.

    Wiesberger - I fully intended to back him before his victory at the Renaissance and he still represents good each way value for money at 60/1.

    Kevin Kisner - Form shaded a bit of late but he performed well in last years Open and at odds of 125/1 he's worth a couple of quid as an each way bet.

    Xander Schauffele - Obviously one to watch and the bookies agree which us why I could only get odds of 22/1 this morning.

    Bring it on - first tee off time is just after 6.30am on Thursday morning.
    Last edited by Golden Bear; 17-07-2019 at 07:54 AM.

  10. #9
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    14,533
    Tiger Woods looks the best value in the field for me. Louis Oosthuizen is another that could go well at a decent price.

    United we stand here....

  11. #10
    @hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    49
    Posts
    6,951
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tiger Woods looks the best value in the field for me. Louis Oosthuizen is another that could go well at a decent price.
    If the course was playing hard and fast Tiger Woods might have been in with a chance of plotting his way round, but those conditions that can bring a lot more of the field into having an opportunity to get themselves into the mix wont be in evidence this week by the looks of it. He’s more or less written off his chances in his press briefing where he said his game isn’t really where he’d like it to be for an Open Championship. This one will probably play into the hands of the bombers, and the accurate bombers like Koepka, Johnson and McIlroy. The fact that Koepka’s caddy Ricky Elliot is a Portrush native and knows the course like the back of his hand makes the pairing the stand out favourites. If I were a betting man I’d be betting a straight win on Koepka rather than the favoured E/W of golf wagers for what would still be an attractive punt at around 10/1.
    Last edited by Carheenlea; 17-07-2019 at 10:52 PM.

  12. #11
    Coaching Staff Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lanark/Palo Alto
    Age
    33
    Posts
    15,378
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Two screens at work + SkyGo = unlikely to make much progress today

  13. #12
    Coaching Staff Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lanark/Palo Alto
    Age
    33
    Posts
    15,378
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    McIlroy crumbles under the pressure of the opening tee at his home course and hits his first tee shot OB.

    Deary dear.

  14. #13
    Coaching Staff Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lanark/Palo Alto
    Age
    33
    Posts
    15,378
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    This is a car-crash opening hole from Rory. Hit his fourth shot out of the heavy rough next to the fairyway, into the bushes down the side of the green (where it looks like he might now need another penalty drop).

    Ouch.

  15. #14
    Coaching Staff Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lanark/Palo Alto
    Age
    33
    Posts
    15,378
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Yep, penalty drop out of the bracken bushes.

    About to play his 6th shot to get it onto the green...

  16. #15
    @hibs.net private member Jim44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    72
    Posts
    17,254
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rory looking at 7 or 8 at best. Still 71 holes to make up.

  17. #16
    Coaching Staff Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lanark/Palo Alto
    Age
    33
    Posts
    15,378
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    It's not as if those in front of him on the course are streets ahead either.

    Takes an 8...he can make it back but that's a disaster of an opening.

  18. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not as if those in front of him on the course are streets ahead either.

    Takes an 8...he can make it back but that's a disaster of an opening.
    The course does seem to be playing quite kindly though, plenty birdies at that first hole.

    Could have ruled himself out of contention in one hole, incredible. His second tee shot was a killer, canít believe he missed the fairway twice.

  19. #18
    Coaching Staff Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lanark/Palo Alto
    Age
    33
    Posts
    15,378
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    If he hadn't on the first, he's about to now...looks like another 3 of the tee. Currently +5 and playing some of the worst golf I've seen in a long while.

    Horrendous from Rory.

  20. #19
    @hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    13,927
    David Duval makes a 15 on the 7th! There's hope for us yet. 😁

    Edit - it was only a 13 apparently.
    Last edited by Golden Bear; 18-07-2019 at 11:17 AM.

  21. #20
    Coaching Staff Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lanark/Palo Alto
    Age
    33
    Posts
    15,378
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Rory finds a birdie!

    A few players finding a bit of a rythym here - Garcia and McDowell both going along quite well.

    I really think Tiger will struggle on this course - wind is blowing, rough is unforgiving.

  22. #21
    @hibs.net private member Cairney11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    741
    Spieth at 35s is a shout

  23. #22
    @hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    49
    Posts
    6,951
    Roryís new jacket hasnít brought him much luck so far - he might been better spending more time on the range than watching Green Street



    (That said, I watched him on the short game practice area at Renaissance on Sunday a good two and a half hours before his tee time. The amount of different shots he was executing with the same club was wonderful to watch)

  24. #23
    @hibs.net private member IWasThere2016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Little England
    Age
    52
    Posts
    34,940
    I've backed the Americans. The course is too green and they will "target golf" themselves round.

    Dough is on Koepka, Woods, Spieth, Thomas and Cantlay. Only European I have ££s on is Eddie Pepperell

  25. #24
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    42
    Posts
    11,206
    This course is brilliant.

    Birdies and eagles out there but crazy bad numbers out there as well to punish careless golf.

    Really good to watch.

  26. #25
    @hibs.net private member hibeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    616
    My tip for the Masters, Shane Lowry, didnít come anywhere close. He will be my outside bet for the Open.

  27. #26
    Coaching Staff Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lanark/Palo Alto
    Age
    33
    Posts
    15,378
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Horrific opening round +8 for Rory. He played some utterly awful golf.

  28. #27
    Coaching Staff Smartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Age
    42
    Posts
    11,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Horrific opening round +8 for Rory. He played some utterly awful golf.
    It was strange. He had 3 horrific holes but the rest of it was pretty good.

    Although that's the way I tend to talk about my golf.

  29. #28
    @hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    13,927
    Very impressive post disaster interview from Rory, it was honest and brutally frank. Well done that man, it couldn't have been easy.

  30. #29
    @hibs.net private member Jim44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Age
    72
    Posts
    17,254
    Blog Entries
    1
    Tiger Woods looking out of sorts. Seems overweight, lethargic and moving sluggishly to me. Reflected in his score.

  31. #30
    Administrator BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Erm...........................
    Age
    52
    Posts
    10,598
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Rory is spent in majors I fear.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved