hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibshibshibs1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know how much more Aberdeen offered him so I can't say. Do you?
    No. That's exactly my point. I don't know what their playing budget is either. It's not even about Ojo as such I'm just interested in clarification from our new owner in what our budget being competitive actually means and who it is competitive with.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibshibshibs1 View Post
    It looks a lot like we did just compete with Aberdeen for a signing.
    And lost.

I don't know if this guy is any good or not, but he was clearly our first choice for that position and the fact that we still won't match Aberdeen for players says nothing will change.

It makes me wonder why people got so excited about the change of ownership, if we aren't going to be making extra effort to bring in targets. Never mind this behind the scenes, making changes to the stadium, indoor pitch etc stuff. It's on the pitch that counts and we need to be spending the money on that.

Our squad still needs a number of players to even think about a top 4 finish and losing players to rival clubs is not the way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    No. That's exactly my point. I don't know what their playing budget is either. It's not even about Ojo as such I'm just interested in clarification from our new owner in what our budget being competitive actually means and who it is competitive with.
    The club have outlined our ambitions a number of times. So I guess this answers your questions.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    And lost.

I don't know if this guy is any good or not, but he was clearly our first choice for that position and the fact that we still won't match Aberdeen for players says nothing will change.

It makes me wonder why people got so excited about the change of ownership, if we aren't going to be making extra effort to bring in targets. Never mind this behind the scenes, making changes to the stadium, indoor pitch etc stuff. It's on the pitch that counts and we need to be spending the money on that.

Our squad still needs a number of players to even think about a top 4 finish and losing players to rival clubs is not the way to do it.
    What if Aberdeen offered double what we did? Does “being competitive” mean we should just offer double as well, even though we have offered what we think he is worth?

Left by mutual consent!
    And lost.

Being competitive does not mean winning every single time. We've lost out on one signing to Aberdeen since he's arrived; and we know nothing about how much Aberdeen are paying him or about how highly Heckingbottom values him.

I don't think this contradicts anything he's said.

@hibs.net private member
    Ron.. Gee.. Us.. More... Money...

And lost.

This is what I'm starting to think. I was excited initially then I realised RG wasn't even a Hibs fan, it's still not clear to me why he wants to buy a football team never mind our team. He appears an honourable guy, but it doesn't look like he's going to be making big investment in the club and his "pony up" line doesn't fill me with encouragement. Clearly it's early days and too early to make a final judgement. but so far it appears we've replaced one Steady Eddie with another one, so nothing has changed.

I'm merely asking the question. He said he was happy with our budget and it was competitive. What is he basing that on and who is it competitive with ? I don't expect it to match the OF, but given he talked about catching Aberdeen I'd expect it to be competitive with them.
    You're aware that Aberdeen take in £5m a year more than we do? If not you've not been paying attention.

If you expected a sudden magic wand that gives us that extra £5m you're in la la land.

If a player is happy with an offer we've made to him, and that seems to have been the case here, why should we go back and increase the offer solely on the basis someone came along at the last minute and offered more?

If you agreed to buy a car for £10k, and when you went to pick it up the price changed to £12k, would you take it? Naw, only a dafty would do that.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sioux View Post
    You're aware that Aberdeen take in £5m a year more than we do? If not you've not been paying attention.

If you expected a sudden magic wand that gives us that extra £5m you're in la la land.

If a player is happy with an offer we've made to him, and that seems to have been the case here, why should we go back and increase the offer solely on the basis someone came along at the last minute and offered more?

If you agreed to buy a car for £10k, and when you went to pick it up the price changed to £12k, would you take it? Naw, only a dafty would do that.

Aberdeen don’t make £5m more a year than us. They report a much higher turnover than us but - as has been pointed out - it seems that we are not comparing like-for-like.

Can we remove all reference to Funso Ojo and move on guffie that he is 😉😂

@hibs.net private member
    This is what I'm starting to think. I was excited initially then I realised RG wasn't even a Hibs fan, it's still not clear to me why he wants to buy a football team never mind our team. He appears an honourable guy, but it doesn't look like he's going to be making big investment in the club and his "pony up" line doesn't fill me with encouragement. Clearly it's early days and too early to make a final judgement. but so far it appears we've replaced one Steady Eddie with another one, so nothing has changed.
    I'm in the same boat as you, however why would STF say he wanted to "sell to the right people who would take hibs to the next level"

He did imply he wanted to aim to be best of the rest this season, well that's the feeling I got anyway. Then the long term goal was to aim for the championship...

Are the fans to do all the work by ponying up and then he sells us for a profit?

Quote Originally Posted by JimboHibs View Post
    Im sure he will have sleepless nights worrying that you think he hasnt come out of this very well.
    If he does then he can give me a call and chat about it.

Let's not forget the club possibly worked hard to get this over the line and it looks to me like he has gone with the money. Fair enough but shows he was not the right player for the club.

He's getting sold in January on my FIFA career!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Quite frankly my dears, I don't give a damn.

Players that want to play for Hibs and Heckingbottom only please.
    Correct.
    Cougars!!!

First Team Breakthrough
    Just wondering if PH let Bartley go on the assumption that Ojo had agreed terms with us. .

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by wills View Post
    Just wondering if PH let Bartley go on the assumption that Ojo had agreed terms with us. .
    More likely Milligan.

Quote Originally Posted by Sioux View Post

I wasn’t fully aware of the specifics regarding Aberdeen’s finances but it would appear neither are you.

I never said I our playing budget was competitive, our new new owner did. I’m looking for clarification on what that means. I don’t think that’s unreasonable.

Depends how much we want a player and sometimes it’s about making a statement of intent. Yes of course PH may well have decided the player in this instance wasn’t worth any more to us. Your car analogy isn’t a great one as you unless you are buying a rare or classic one there are likely to be lots of near identical ones available at that same price point.

I went on the s****horpe fans forum a couple of weeks back and they were not crying that they were losing him. I would rather have had him but no biggy.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Aberdeen don’t make £5m more a year than us. They report a much higher turnover than us but - as has been pointed out - it seems that we are not comparing like-for-like.
    They employ around 30 more staff than Hibs, mostly in non-football posts. In 2017-18 They made around £500k loss compared with Hibs profit of £200k. The higher overall turnover probably does give them a better football budget, but it's not possible to make any definitive comparison between the two clubs, not least because Hibs don't provide a breakdown of their turnover.

As an aside, Aberdeen have just converted to a private limited company, so they won't be breaking down their turnover in the future either. They've also increased their authorised share capital and issued some shares for £500k. Looks like they're making structural changes too.

I think mcinnes must have slipped a finger up ojos erse as ojo claims mcinnes "touched something inside him"

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHIBBY View Post
    I think mcinnes must have slipped a finger up ojos erse as ojo claims mcinnes "touched something inside him"
    Pretty strange place to keep a wallet

First Team Regular
    ‘Ojo said of his new boss: "He spent the whole day with me. We talked about football and other things and he touched something in me.‘
    Something lost in the translation here Funso.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SonOfDavidFrancey View Post
    ‘Ojo said of his new boss: "He spent the whole day with me. We talked about football and other things and he touched something in me.‘
    Something lost in the translation here Funso.
    Perverts.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    ‘Ojo said of his new boss, somewhat sheepishly: "He spent the whole day with me. We talked about football and other things and he touched something in me.‘
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    ‘Ojo said of his new boss, somewhat sheepishly: "He spent the whole day with me. We talked about football and other things and he touched something in me.‘
    Sounds like there was a happy ending there 🙈

Maybe hibs could have matched Aberdeens offer but we didn't want him enough to pay that amount for him. Aberdeen maybe wanted him more than us

Quote Originally Posted by SChibs View Post
    Maybe hibs could have matched Aberdeens offer but we didn't want him enough to pay that amount for him. Aberdeen maybe wanted him more than us
    I agree with this. Hibs possibly didn’t want to pay him more than we deemed him to be worth.

My frustration isn’t with missing out on Ojo particularly. I just can’t believe we have started this season in a worse place than we finished last season in midfield. Last year things were out of our hands where McGinn was concerned. This year we’ve known exactly what we need for months and I’m disappointed it’s not been addressed yet.

You may be right,however I would hope he could at least get some real action on the marketing and commercial side ,where Hibernian have been dreadful for many years.

I would even say they have negligent under the past regime in those areas and need a complete overhaul.
    Last edited by hhibs; 15-07-2019 at 11:00 AM.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    I agree with this. Hibs possibly didn’t want to pay him more than we deemed him to be worth.

My frustration isn’t with missing out on Ojo particularly. I just can’t believe we have started this season in a worse place than we finished last season in midfield. Last year things were out of our hands where McGinn was concerned. This year we’ve known exactly what we need for months and I’m disappointed it’s not been addressed yet.
    Heckingbottom mentioned in his press conference ahead of the Stirling game that we were in the same position as we were with Ojo with a few other players.

Assuming that Ojo was seen as a solution to the midfield problem and they only knew on Friday that he’d changed his mind having previously agreed to sign, I’m not sure how reasonable it is to have expected us to have plan b in the door already.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Left by mutual consent!
    Time to draw a line. He’s Aberdeen’s.