2. Log in to remove the advert

How long is Boyle away this time?

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Gash!

Needs a serious rocket. Must have thought it was a doddle up here

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    I thought we’d signed a proper left winger but Hecky says his best position is more narrow.

I’m struggling to remember the last player we had who genuinely thrives on the left touch line.

When he signed up i did a bit of research from which he seemed a typical winger type who blows hot and cold.
    He is the only signing I was concerned about and sadly he appears to be blowing cold and cold at the moment.
    Hope he can turn it around.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    I thought we’d signed a proper left winger but Hecky says his best position is more narrow.

I’m struggling to remember the last player we had who genuinely thrives on the left touch line.
    Crunchie was excellent on both wings - like you, can't recall anyone (consistent) who hugged the byeline and was an out and out left winger with pace. Barker has it but that ship has sailed. We definitely need another player with genuine pace to get past a man.

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    When he signed up i did a bit of research from which he seemed a typical winger type who blows hot and cold.
    He is the only signing I was concerned about and sadly he appears to be blowing cold and cold at the moment.
    Hope he can turn it around.
    Just cold so far.

We still need wide cover with pace, it's obvious to see that when Boyle is out then Horgan shifts over to the right , the left wing where Horgan plays best is missing, someone similar to Barker would be perfect in this squad.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    We still need wide cover with pace, it's obvious to see that when Boyle is out then Horgan shifts over to the right , the left wing where Horgan plays best is missing, someone similar to Barker would be perfect in this squad.
    I agree JC however I don't think PH does as wide players are not being quoted or mentioned - that's worrying for me, especially given it's been a successful way of our style and play this last three seasons. Jeez, I'd even have young Agyepong back if he kept off the treatment table long enough.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by VivaPalmeiras View Post
    He apparently didn’t read the email that advised he’d get little or no time
    For that at Hibs... :(
    Why won’t he get time? It’s only an initial assessment of the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    CG, fair enough but I'd caveat that by saying the game down south is not as quick or intense as up here and players coming up to Scotland all acknowledge that. Pace is vital in a top flight side and already we are looking static and ponderous - the opposite of what PH said he wanted. We're four players short (minimum) of having a competitive 'top 4' squad. I'm not in the 'bed-wetting' camp, but early signs are not encouraging at all and I've not felt like that for the last 5 seasons. Players need to gel quickly and adapt quickly - teams like St Mirren, Livi, etc. are not going to stand on ceremony and admire us - they'll be snapping into tackles and giving everything at the start of the season.

Newell might have the languid style which can be deceptive (in the sense of not looking keen) - but the games I've watched, I've tried to watch him closely and his movement - he just isn't impressing one bit so far.
    By all accounts he held his own in the Championship - that league is all about pace, strength and intensity.

I don't accept that you need to step up your intensity from playing against John McGinn and Jack Grealish in order to be better than absolute cack against Dunfermline, Carlisle and Stirling Albion.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    By all accounts he held his own in the Championship - that league is all about pace, strength and intensity.

I don't accept that you need to step up your intensity from playing against John McGinn and Jack Grealish in order to be better than absolute cack against Dunfermline, Carlisle and Stirling Albion.
    Not at all, the championship is full of technical ability. There's teams in the Championship that could hold their own in the PL. Rotherham, though, isn't one of them.

Agree with your second part though. Playing 139 times in L1/Championship is at a significantly better level than ***** in the Scottish league two.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    He was brutal. Never beat his man once inside or outside. Not interested in tackling or challenging for the hall in the air. The two guys in front of me had been to every pre-season game so far and said he was no different in them. Boyle and Horgsn won’t lose any sleep about losing their places to him on that showing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    He was brutal. Never beat his man once inside or outside. Not interested in tackling or challenging for the hall in the air. The two guys in front of me had been to every pre-season game so far and said he was no different in them. Boyle and Horgsn won’t lose any sleep about losing their places to him on that showing.
    One time in the second half he fell over with no one near him

Dearie me!

Needs to buck up his ideas sharpish!

@hibs.net private member
    As a Peterborough fan, this reaction is something I feared after his signing was announced. A decent player on his day, but that day didn't come around very often for us. People were very surprised that he made the step up so well at Rotherham.

The comments about body language stuck out for me - Peterborough fans are very similar to Hibs fans in their expectations for a player (looking like you give a toss is high up on the list!) and despite him coming through the youth ranks, the fans never really took to him at all. I mentioned on a Posh forum straight after he'd signed that I hope he's grown a pair of bollocks or he'll get mauled at Tynecastle... if the Hibs fans don't get there first!

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    Not seen any of our pre season so far but it seems my initial worries about him are coming true. I admittedly didn't know much about him but when I looked into him after he was announced it stood out that he wasn't a quick winger, and could apparently play number 10? Perhaps in any other season he would have slotted well in behind the striker but with Scott Allan back that position is filled and lets be honest it's nailed on that Scotty will keep it if he stays fit and hungry.

I've never subscribed to the idea of slow but technical wingers, especially in our league. You can teach a player to make the right choices and right places to be to make them. But you can't teach them the blistering pace to get there if they just don't have that athleticism.

Pace hurts teams, you only need to look at Martin Boyle as an example, he couldn't control a ball in his first 18 months at the club then all of a sudden it clicked and he's been one of our best players since Lennon joined probably. Sproule another example of how it just clicked one day. Chris Humphrey as well didn't have much going for him when he rocked up at Motherwell but a bit of match practise and coaching and he was one of the more impacting players in his final year or 2.

Worried about this signing but at least we have Boyle and Horgan still in those areas.
    You've said it yourself, it took Boyle time so surely Newell and the other new guys should be given time before people get on their case.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    One time in the second half he fell over with no one near him

Dearie me!

Needs to buck up his ideas sharpish!
    He needs to buck up his ideas because he fell over?
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    You've said it yourself, it took Boyle time so surely Newell and the other new guys should be given time before people get on their case.
    We're not even out of pre-season yet and players are getting hounded.

I honestly wonder how folk get through the day without spontaneously combusting with rage at every day events happening that they can't apply context to.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Definitely too early to write him off and some of the criticism seems harsh given how early it is. But my point was more that in this league pace is king at times and you can coach these guys with pace to do the right things at the right time much like Boyle and Sproule were. But then you could argue Alan O'Brien never learned that and he was lightning.

Time will tell on Joe Newell and I'm happy to let him have it, it's just a bit worrying some of the feedback so far.

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    He needs to buck up his ideas because he fell over?
    Naw cause he was gash!

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This could be a long and angry thread ��
    Sounds like season 2019/20 scapegoat, well wee Louis will be pleased
    Last edited by Lago; 15-07-2019 at 03:19 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    I think he will come good.

Nice left peg and will get sharper.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Posh Swanny View Post
    As a Peterborough fan, this reaction is something I feared after his signing was announced. A decent player on his day, but that day didn't come around very often for us. People were very surprised that he made the step up so well at Rotherham.

The comments about body language stuck out for me - Peterborough fans are very similar to Hibs fans in their expectations for a player (looking like you give a toss is high up on the list!) and despite him coming through the youth ranks, the fans never really took to him at all. I mentioned on a Posh forum straight after he'd signed that I hope he's grown a pair of bollocks or he'll get mauled at Tynecastle... if the Hibs fans don't get there first!
    Interesting observation

Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Sounds like season 2019/20 scapegoat, well see Louis will be pleased
    Nah I'm still going to shout at Whittaker this season. Got my "boo" well refined.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    Nah I'm still going to shout at Whittaker this season. Got my "boo" well refined.
    Whitaker won’t be playing much to be booed. If he is it’s because of the lack of recruitment to address weak areas of the team.

Whittaker also personally doesn’t cop it when he plays, it’s more of a reaction to him actually playing (makes sense ma heid)

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Whitaker won’t be playing much to be booed. If he is it’s because of the lack of recruitment to address weak areas of the team.

Whittaker also personally doesn’t cop it when he plays, it’s more of a reaction to him actually playing (makes sense ma heid)
    Think you’ll be surprised at how often Whittaker plays.

Not going to be in a first choice 11 but our first choice 11 is never available. He’ll get games as a result.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Crunchie was excellent on both wings - like you, can't recall anyone (consistent) who hugged the byeline and was an out and out left winger with pace. Barker has it but that ship has sailed. We definitely need another player with genuine pace to get past a man.
    Arthur Duncan !

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    We're not even out of pre-season yet and players are getting hounded.

I honestly wonder how folk get through the day without spontaneously combusting with rage at every day events happening that they can't apply context to.
    I don’t think there is much rage? At least from me. People are just discussing the merits of the new signings. That’s what the boards are for. For every post concerned about a player there at least two posts from people complaining about people being negative.
    If Newall comes good I’ll be full of praise for him and that goes for all the new signings. I’m already warming to Doidge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Arthur Duncan !
    Eric Stevenson