hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Newell

Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unless Newell is just lacking sharpness/fitness, he contains neither of the qualities of pace or strength.
    Haven’t seen him but no one is saying he possesses that which is why I quoted what P H said You would assume he is signing players he knows about from down south

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    It is still a big move. Nowhere near as much as someone from overseas but still worth taking into consideration.The new signings haven't impressed me but I'll give them some time to settle

I'm all for giving players time to settle, but how long do you give them?
    We need player's up to speed pronto.

Quote Originally Posted by SON OF PADDY View Post
    I'm all for giving players time to settle, but how long do you give them?
    We need player's up to speed pronto.
    Maybe 6 - 8 weeks ? He has a few to go .

First Team Breakthrough Seekyit's Avatar
    Didn't Rotherham fans say he was a bit temperamental?

When he's on his game he's good but you won't see it every week?

I know that doesn't help or excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    Maybe 6 - 8 weeks ? He has a few to go .

He's a professional footballer!
    I would expect him to settle in sooner than 6-8 weeks,if he can't then there's always someone else waiting to take their chance?

Heckingbottom, in his Hibs TV interview, spoke about Josh Campbell’s attitude, willingness to tackle, chase back etc.

He also mentioned that puts him ahead of some of the other players who aren’t doing that side of the game. Didn’t name names but Newell must have been one he was referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by SON OF PADDY View Post
    He's a professional footballer!
    I would expect him to settle in sooner than 6-8 weeks,if he can't then there's always someone else waiting to take their chance?
    I agree but look how well a young Maradonna settled at Barca he was hopeless

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Boatman View Post
    Someone on the terracing today suggested he should piss off back to Love Island
    There is more to come from newell...just wait til he is recoupled with lewey stevenson 😉

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I think the criticism is also there because he was dreadful against Dunfermline last week too.

Think I read a post about him being really bad against Carlisle but I may be getting mixed up there.

Sounds like he needs a wee spell out the firing line, I’d love to say he was possibly trying too hard but I don’t think that’s a criticism that could be labelled at him today.
    Very quiet in the carsile game. tbh not gonna right him off but he's not done anything to assume he's better than anything we already have.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I think the criticism is also there because he was dreadful against Dunfermline last week too.

Think I read a post about him being really bad against Carlisle but I may be getting mixed up there.

Sounds like he needs a wee spell out the firing line, I’d love to say he was possibly trying too hard but I don’t think that’s a criticism that could be labelled at him today.
    He was awful in Carlisle. No oooomph and ended up hiding. Only player we subbed at half time

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiberniankb View Post
    I’ve not seen him play, is he a fast winger what’s he like?

Gash!
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Left by mutual consent!
    Mate of mine is a Rotherham supporter. He tells me the lad on his day is a handful for any defence. I’ll wait until our signings are settled in at the club and had a half dozen games under their belt before making a judgment.

Lennon had his faults but one thing he got right was this:

He didn't hesitate to move on any signings that just didn't work out (even Stokes/Murray) at the earliest opportunity.

Newell has a big 2 weeks ahead to show he has found his home here.

The hibs banner says 'time for heroes' no time for passengers.

Quote Originally Posted by Weegreenman View Post
    Mate of mine is a Rotherham supporter. He tells me the lad on his day is a handful for any defence. I’ll wait until our signings are settled in at the club and had a half dozen games under their belt before making a judgment.
    Cant wait for players to have half a dozen games to settle in, they need to hit the ground running, this is their bread and butter, Arbroath and Stirling f,n Albion ffs. If players seem disinterested, bin them.How the hell they can be disinterested even before the season has started is baffling though.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil MaGlass View Post
    Cant wait for players to have half a dozen games to settle in, they need to hit the ground running, this is their bread and butter, Arbroath and Stirling f,n Albion ffs. If players seem disinterested, bin them.How the hell they can be disinterested even before the season has started is baffling though.

You've hit the nail,on the head mate !

Not seen any of our pre season so far but it seems my initial worries about him are coming true. I admittedly didn't know much about him but when I looked into him after he was announced it stood out that he wasn't a quick winger, and could apparently play number 10? Perhaps in any other season he would have slotted well in behind the striker but with Scott Allan back that position is filled and lets be honest it's nailed on that Scotty will keep it if he stays fit and hungry.

I've never subscribed to the idea of slow but technical wingers, especially in our league. You can teach a player to make the right choices and right places to be to make them. But you can't teach them the blistering pace to get there if they just don't have that athleticism.

Pace hurts teams, you only need to look at Martin Boyle as an example, he couldn't control a ball in his first 18 months at the club then all of a sudden it clicked and he's been one of our best players since Lennon joined probably. Sproule another example of how it just clicked one day. Chris Humphrey as well didn't have much going for him when he rocked up at Motherwell but a bit of match practise and coaching and he was one of the more impacting players in his final year or 2.

Worried about this signing but at least we have Boyle and Horgan still in those areas.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    Not seen any of our pre season so far but it seems my initial worries about him are coming true. I admittedly didn't know much about him but when I looked into him after he was announced it stood out that he wasn't a quick winger, and could apparently play number 10? Perhaps in any other season he would have slotted well in behind the striker but with Scott Allan back that position is filled and lets be honest it's nailed on that Scotty will keep it if he stays fit and hungry.

I've never subscribed to the idea of slow but technical wingers, especially in our league. You can teach a player to make the right choices and right places to be to make them. But you can't teach them the blistering pace to get there if they just don't have that athleticism.

Pace hurts teams, you only need to look at Martin Boyle as an example, he couldn't control a ball in his first 18 months at the club then all of a sudden it clicked and he's been one of our best players since Lennon joined probably. Sproule another example of how it just clicked one day. Chris Humphrey as well didn't have much going for him when he rocked up at Motherwell but a bit of match practise and coaching and he was one of the more impacting players in his final year or 2.

Worried about this signing but at least we have Boyle and Horgan still in those areas.
    Without doubt we need another fast winger. Boyle will be away with Australia and there is nothing so far, for me, that says we have players who get 'bums off seats' and attack with pace - what's also worrying for me is I don't think Heckingbottom likes that kind of width. One thing about a Lennon side is he loves pace in wide areas and has at least three or four options on that front. In the preseason games thus far I'm seeing absolutely nothing of this 'high press' Heckingbottom advocates. On the contrary, I'm seeing midfielders and defenders stand off and allow so much space it's worrying.

Having seen him play down here a few times, I'm surprised that he hasn't been a success so far. What I saw was the very opposite of what's being described and I thought he was a very good signing. He's never looked like an out and out winger though, plays a bit deeper and the part of his game I was most impressed with was his interplay with his teammates, moving the ball around and bringing other players into moves. He also didn't look slow by any means. Of course these were away matches for him so maybe the teams were set up more defensively, but the last time I saw him he pretty much dictated the left side of midfield.

Hopefully he just needs time to gel with his new team.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caversham Green View Post
    Having seen him play down here a few times, I'm surprised that he hasn't been a success so far. What I saw was the very opposite of what's being described and I thought he was a very good signing. He's never looked like an out and out winger though, plays a bit deeper and the part of his game I was most impressed with was his interplay with his teammates, moving the ball around and bringing other players into moves. He also didn't look slow by any means. Of course these were away matches for him so maybe the teams were set up more defensively, but the last time I saw him he pretty much dictated the left side of midfield.

He apparently didn’t read the email that advised he’d get little or no time
    For that at Hibs... :(
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Coaching Staff

CG, fair enough but I'd caveat that by saying the game down south is not as quick or intense as up here and players coming up to Scotland all acknowledge that. Pace is vital in a top flight side and already we are looking static and ponderous - the opposite of what PH said he wanted. We're four players short (minimum) of having a competitive 'top 4' squad. I'm not in the 'bed-wetting' camp, but early signs are not encouraging at all and I've not felt like that for the last 5 seasons. Players need to gel quickly and adapt quickly - teams like St Mirren, Livi, etc. are not going to stand on ceremony and admire us - they'll be snapping into tackles and giving everything at the start of the season.

Newell might have the languid style which can be deceptive (in the sense of not looking keen) - but the games I've watched, I've tried to watch him closely and his movement - he just isn't impressing one bit so far.

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Without doubt we need another fast winger. Boyle will be away with Australia and there is nothing so far, for me, that says we have players who get 'bums off seats' and attack with pace - what's also worrying for me is I don't think Heckingbottom likes that kind of width. One thing about a Lennon side is he loves pace in wide areas and has at least three or four options on that front. In the preseason games thus far I'm seeing absolutely nothing of this 'high press' Heckingbottom advocates. On the contrary, I'm seeing midfielders and defenders stand off and allow so much space it's worrying.
    I definitely would like another winger now. I wasn't overly fussed until I started reading more about Newells performances so far from people. He could still come good but I think maybe getting in another loanee from Man City like Barker or Agyepong (preferably a fit player) would allow us to rotate more often.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    I definitely would like another winger now. I wasn't overly fussed until I started reading more about Newells performances so far from people. He could still come good but I think maybe getting in another loanee from Man City like Barker or Agyepong (preferably a fit player) would allow us to rotate more often.
    Yep CH, fully in agreement with that and stays injury free for most of the season.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Missed a sitter at the back post yesterday. Seems very timid.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Weegreenman View Post
    My old man also has the 6 game philosophy.

I think it makes a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post
    Haven’t seen him but no one is saying he possesses that which is why I quoted what P H said You would assume he is signing players he knows about from down south

Aye, if PH said strength & pace were priorities you would assume that anyone he signs would possess one or the other. Hopefully Newell is just taking time to settle in and we'll see the player PH obviously thinks would improve the team. Initial impressions aren't good, but he has another week's training before the Alloa game.

I know he’s just arrived but we were playing Stirling Albion ffs. If he is that bad against them, how is he going to cope v Hearts? I don’t want to write him off but he needs to turn this round quickly.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    I’m not convinced he’s a left winger. He was awful against Dunfermline when he was in position. When he got drawn out of position for whatever reason (usually set pieces) into a more central position or coming in from the right, he looked more than decent.

I'm surprised as well, having spoken to a fair few Rotherham fans the general opinion was that he could be a bit lazy at times but that when he was on he was pretty much unplayable.
    I've also been told by a few that when Rotherham played villa he gave John mcginn a roasting for about 60 mins.
    Suppose we'll have to wait and see if he puts in those sort of performances for us.

@hibs.net private member oldbutdim's Avatar
    I watched him at Dunfermline, Carlisle, and Stirling.
    The first time he beat his man was the 35th minute yesterday.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by judas View Post
    My old man also has the 6 game philosophy.

I think it makes a lot of sense.
    Players shouldn’t necessarily have shown everything they’ve got within 6 games but I’d agree that you should be able to make a fairly accurate call on them after 6. If Newell has truly been that bad then it doesn’t bode well for the rest of his time here as you’d have expected him to have at least shown something in his 4 games so far.