I always read this report because I can’t get to as many games as I would like. I went yesterday, waiting for the first competitive games of the season and I agree with your overall assessment of the match.
I was really disappointed in the performance of the team. I did not expect a huge victory but I did expect a victory and to see early signs of how the manager wants the team set up and a style of play which will carry us forward into a successful season. Neither of these things were obvious yesterday. It was shambolic. I was on the other side of the pitch from the dugouts so I have no idea if the the manager and/or Stockdale were barking out instructions but there certainly was no leadership evident on the park. The only guy shouting was Maxwell trying to get the back four to hold a high line when the Stirling keeper was banging one up the field.
I thought Jackson won most of his headers and tackles, I thought up our right side Whittaker and Horgan looked interested and put in an effort. Up the left side James and Newell would have been as well sitting beside me. No effort whatsoever and second to every ball. I don’t know if Hanlon was just phased by all the new faces around him but he was of the pace as well.
Mallon proved to me he is not the answer as a defensive mid and Scottie, who I was really looking forward to seeing again, looked lost and unable to link up with anyone on the day. The young lad Campbell tried hard to impress but that was difficult in a non performing midfield unit. Doidge I thought did the best he could on the scraps that came his way and was really unlucky not to score on a couple of occasions.
I suppose however my biggest disappointment was the fact that from where I was sitting no one on or off the pitch attempted to change things when it was painfully obvious to all who watched, whatever the tactics were supposed to be yesterday, they certainly were not working.
I know it is very early on in the season and we can’t expect rolls Royce performances this early but we certainly need a few more additions to the squad in areas that have already been discussed elsewhere and we need to take this competition seriously because it is one that we can win. I really want to give the new management team my full support but they in turn have show the fans what they are about by producing performances on the park and that did not happen yesterday.