hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    First Team Breakthrough
    I always read this report because I can’t get to as many games as I would like. I went yesterday, waiting for the first competitive games of the season and I agree with your overall assessment of the match.
    I was really disappointed in the performance of the team. I did not expect a huge victory but I did expect a victory and to see early signs of how the manager wants the team set up and a style of play which will carry us forward into a successful season. Neither of these things were obvious yesterday. It was shambolic. I was on the other side of the pitch from the dugouts so I have no idea if the the manager and/or Stockdale were barking out instructions but there certainly was no leadership evident on the park. The only guy shouting was Maxwell trying to get the back four to hold a high line when the Stirling keeper was banging one up the field.
    I thought Jackson won most of his headers and tackles, I thought up our right side Whittaker and Horgan looked interested and put in an effort. Up the left side James and Newell would have been as well sitting beside me. No effort whatsoever and second to every ball. I don’t know if Hanlon was just phased by all the new faces around him but he was of the pace as well.
    Mallon proved to me he is not the answer as a defensive mid and Scottie, who I was really looking forward to seeing again, looked lost and unable to link up with anyone on the day. The young lad Campbell tried hard to impress but that was difficult in a non performing midfield unit. Doidge I thought did the best he could on the scraps that came his way and was really unlucky not to score on a couple of occasions.
    I suppose however my biggest disappointment was the fact that from where I was sitting no one on or off the pitch attempted to change things when it was painfully obvious to all who watched, whatever the tactics were supposed to be yesterday, they certainly were not working.
    I know it is very early on in the season and we can’t expect rolls Royce performances this early but we certainly need a few more additions to the squad in areas that have already been discussed elsewhere and we need to take this competition seriously because it is one that we can win. I really want to give the new management team my full support but they in turn have show the fans what they are about by producing performances on the park and that did not happen yesterday.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In fairness to Hanlon, that seemed to be the tactics yesterday, hoof it to the lone striker. It’s not his usual game.
    Its been the tactics since around October last year. It's like the defence don't recognise a football at their feet sometimes.

Coaching Staff
    Appreciate the objective, measured report.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1620 View Post
    I always read this report because I can’t get to as many games as I would like. I went yesterday, waiting for the first competitive games of the season and I agree with your overall assessment of the match.
    I was really disappointed in the performance of the team. I did not expect a huge victory but I did expect a victory and to see early signs of how the manager wants the team set up and a style of play which will carry us forward into a successful season. Neither of these things were obvious yesterday. It was shambolic. I was on the other side of the pitch from the dugouts so I have no idea if the the manager and/or Stockdale were barking out instructions but there certainly was no leadership evident on the park. The only guy shouting was Maxwell trying to get the back four to hold a high line when the Stirling keeper was banging one up the field.
    I thought Jackson won most of his headers and tackles, I thought up our right side Whittaker and Horgan looked interested and put in an effort. Up the left side James and Newell would have been as well sitting beside me. No effort whatsoever and second to every ball. I don’t know if Hanlon was just phased by all the new faces around him but he was of the pace as well.
    Mallon proved to me he is not the answer as a defensive mid and Scottie, who I was really looking forward to seeing again, looked lost and unable to link up with anyone on the day. The young lad Campbell tried hard to impress but that was difficult in a non performing midfield unit. Doidge I thought did the best he could on the scraps that came his way and was really unlucky not to score on a couple of occasions.
    I suppose however my biggest disappointment was the fact that from where I was sitting no one on or off the pitch attempted to change things when it was painfully obvious to all who watched, whatever the tactics were supposed to be yesterday, they certainly were not working.
    I know it is very early on in the season and we can’t expect rolls Royce performances this early but we certainly need a few more additions to the squad in areas that have already been discussed elsewhere and we need to take this competition seriously because it is one that we can win. I really want to give the new management team my full support but they in turn have show the fans what they are about by producing performances on the park and that did not happen yesterday.
    This!

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Its been the tactics since around October last year. It's like the defence don't recognise a football at their feet sometimes.
    That's because no one is there to take it off them and move it forward, Mallan takes, looks forward then gives it back. Fullbacks take it, look around then give it back. It's not the defenders faults.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    That's because no one is there to take it off them and move it forward, Mallan takes, looks forward then gives it back. Fullbacks take it, look around then give it back. It's not the defenders faults.
    Mallan will never be that deep lying midfielder who starts things off, unless all you want from him is a clipped ball over the oppositions forwards head to the full back.

He was the first player we've had for decades to give us a goalscoring threat from midfield, and what do we do, we drop him back into a position he's clearly not good enough for.

What do i know though, i've never been a football manager?

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Mallan will never be that deep lying midfielder who starts things off, unless all you want from him is a clipped ball over the oppositions forwards head to the full back.

He was the first player we've had for decades to give us a goalscoring threat from midfield, and what do we do, we drop him back into a position he's clearly not good enough for.

Was so infuriating watch this routine last season.

Then as soon as we put Mallan in a more attacking position, he would pitch up with a goal or assist. He needs to be playing in the final third of the pitch

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    I know that. Liam Craig used to do the same thing all the time under Stubbs. The chronic lack of movement in the midfield is and has been the problem since the summer last year. But the defence, Hanlon particularly haven't looked comfortable on the ball for a long long time imo. It's like panic sets in.

I missed Carlisle - but reliably informed a dodged a bullet..

Therefore, I expected a response - in a competitive game in a comp we must be looking to win - and a win vs. lower league side

Couldn't understand the selection and cannot accept a draw when we were 1/8 on ffs!

We clearly need a DCM (BH's comments re Mallan are spot on), pace and front men asap.

This!!!!!

Mallan isn’t DMcG.

Mallan needs to be higher forward.

So we need to find a way to either play Allan and Mallan (4-3-3 - with sitting midfielder?) or we will have to drop one.

P

Yep. I don't blame Mallan, he should be arriving late in the box, cutting in from the right to shoot, doing quick one twos and getting in on goal. He isn't the deep playmaker. Him, Allan, Horgan and Boyle could ****ing rip teams to bits but they desperately need someone consistently giving and taking the ball to/from them and moving it to the next place.

I don't really know how we're trying to play this season, 433 isn't working at all.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    Was so infuriating watch this routine last season.

Then as soon as we put Mallan in a more attacking position, he would pitch up with a goal or assist. He needs to be playing in the final third of the pitch
    Can we actually play Mallan and Allan at the same time?

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberal Hibby View Post
    Can we actually play Mallan and Allan at the same time?
    Yes, we did it on Saturday.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Yes, we did it on Saturday.
    We may be able to, but do we want to?

Quote Originally Posted by Liberal Hibby View Post
    We may be able to, but do we want to?
    I don't think we do.

Allan is the first name on the team sheet, Mallan is a solid understudy who might come on late in games if Allan tires and space opens up for him to get more shots away.

2 midfield spots up for grabs.

Strange succession planning, as improving on the central attacking midfielder wasn't the main priority.

You don't turn down the chance to sign and play Scott Allan though.

They might both get into a diamond, but that makes it hard to find space for Boyle and Horgan, 2 of our best players.