hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar

“Levels of fitness they’ve not known before”

Paul Heckingbottom made comment prior to pre season training that one big aspect would be the players being pushed towards a level of fitness they hadn’t reached before.
    At half time today I expected to see evidence of this in the second period, and our full time status coupled with the new fitness regime would see us stretch away from Stirling Albion as they wilted in the sun. It was quite alarming that this wasn’t to be the case, and even without any extra attention given to fitness, we should have looked streets ahead in that regard anyway. Early days and nothing like what we would claim to be a strongest line up, but still expected better than what I viewed this afternoon.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! Speedway's Avatar
    The manager’s just saying stuff.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Paul Heckingbottom made comment prior to pre season training that one big aspect would be the players being pushed towards a level of fitness they hadn’t reached before.
    At half time today I expected to see evidence of this in the second period, and our full time status coupled with the new fitness regime would see us stretch away from Stirling Albion as they wilted in the sun. It was quite alarming that this wasn’t to be the case, and even without any extra attention given to fitness, we should have looked streets ahead in that regard anyway. Early days and nothing like what we would claim to be a strongest line up, but still expected better than what I viewed this afternoon.
    ........ so you’re a kind of ‘happy bed-wetter’.

This quote jumped into my head during previous friendlies (2nd halves) and again today. Need to get fitter and stronger very quickly - again, this could happen when ‘things come together’! Optimistic that what PH says will come to fruition. Bloody hope so!

Left by mutual consent!
    Could be that they're being worked so hard during pre season that they're not as fresh as they would normally be during the matches?

Left by mutual consent!
    Collins said the same I’m sure as did Calderwood.

Posted this quote on the match thread. Horgan, in particular, was absolutely burst at the end.

He also spoke about how we were going to press from the front and play with power. I didn’t see any evidence of that today, or in any of the friendlies. At this stage of the year it would be daft to expect everything to be perfect, but I thought the way Heckingbottom spoke we’d have a very clear way of playing. I’m not seeing it yet, at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
    ........ so you’re a kind of ‘happy bed-wetter’.
    Where you there today? If so what was your opinion of how, team, Players and formation
    shaped up?
    Last edited by Foritza; 13-07-2019 at 06:58 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    The alarm bells are ringing a little, I really hope the guy isn't a slaver.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Surely the time to judge this will be when the season starts? Assuming that it rashes time to build up to a peak level of fitness.

Anyone that knows me will know that I’m not an expert on peak levels of fitness, so I’m happy for a fitness expert to be able to put me right and say that the work should be evident immediately.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    Agreed, the ‘fitness’ statement is a worrying one. It should e fairly obvious that players at a Premiership club should be operating at a certain level of fitness

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    Surely the time to judge this will be when the season starts? Assuming that it rashes time to build up to a peak level of fitness.

Anyone that knows me will know that I’m not an expert on peak levels of fitness, so I’m happy for a fitness expert to be able to put me right and say that the work should be evident immediately.
    Pretty much this. They're currently smack bang in the middle of the process, there will be tired legs.

The season started today

I kind of get where you’re coming from. But the season started today. And we were very, very lethargic against a part time side.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar

You hear the fitness comment far too often from new managers, they would have you believe that professional footballers at clubs with all types of fitness coaches, reputable managers, and a professional set up are as unfit as hell until they arrived, or not up to their fitness standards, it's a load of crap and said to make them sound as if their standards are at some supreme level. Utter tosh.

Quote Originally Posted by H18 SFR View Post
    He will like all managers be judged on results . You can talk all you want but if the team he puts out does not perform or get results , There is only one outcome.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    The season started today
    The league season, unless we are expecting players to get to be found levels of fitness in just a couple weeks?
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

We played against a bunch of part timers that train 2-3 times a week and don’t have anywhere near the facilities as us. Fitness wise we should be miles ahead of them. Didn’t show.

Testimonial Due
    It’s more the lack of seeing the team ‘pressing’ that’s worrying. Genuinely thought this was going to be the main change and see a fit team chasing high up the pitch. But I see little change tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Foritza View Post
    Where you there today? If so what was your opinion of how, team, Players and formation
    shaped up?
    Jim’s a friend of mine and spoke to him before I left - just a bit of friendly joshing.

The league season, unless we are expecting players to get to be found levels of fitness in just a couple weeks?
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHibs View Post
    We played against a bunch of part timers that train 2-3 times a week and don’t have anywhere near the facilities as us. Fitness wise we should be miles ahead of them. Didn’t show.
    DetroitHibs pretty much sums up the point of my OP - and others have commented on the bluster new managers give about “upping fitness levels”, but the bottom line is it shouldn’t be unreasonable to expect to see a gulf in fitness and athleticism between Hibs and Stirling Albion, even at this early stage of the season. Hopefully it will come.

Blog Entries
    shaped up?
    God knows how a tongue in cheek comment prompts your unnecessary response. Lighten up, mate.

Testimonial Due
    I wasnt there today but did we really look unfit or are we just pish? Think a lot of fans seem to get these things mixed up a fair bit. Always the go to excuse when we are going through a bad spell, when the reality is we are t as foos as the opponent. Not that that should've been the issue today however.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Posted this quote on the match thread. Horgan, in particular, was absolutely burst at the end.

He also spoke about how we were going to press from the front and play with power. I didn’t see any evidence of that today, or in any of the friendlies. At this stage of the year it would be daft to expect everything to be perfect, but I thought the way Heckingbottom spoke we’d have a very clear way of playing. I’m not seeing it yet, at all.
    That is my worry. It's fairly hard to even work out what formation we are playing in. Allen is way too advanced for my liking so get little of the ball and Mallan is far too far back. Horgan had every right to be burst though as he was one of the few players, for me, that got pass marks for effort. Doidge worked hard as did Campbell but the rest looked like they had rolled out of bed after a session the night before. Going through the motions is not something I pay my hard earned for. I accept we will lose and can even take that we might lump it long but most of that team today could have worked far harder. I'm clinging to the hope that they have worked so hard in pre-season they are flagging and it is all part of the masterplan. If that is the case then Newell has definitely worked the hardest in pre-season as he looked completely knackered in terms of effort and attitude. Early days yet and at least Heck has told us what the plan is. Hopefully, it works out but he is heaping pressure on himself and new signings resting half a team and not getting a result

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by wookie70 View Post
    That is my worry. It's fairly hard to even work out what formation we are playing in. Allen is way too advanced for my liking so get little of the ball and Mallan is far too far back. Horgan had every right to be burst though as he was one of the few players, for me, that got pass marks for effort. Doidge worked hard as did Campbell but the rest looked like they had rolled out of bed after a session the night before. Going through the motions is not something I pay my hard earned for. I accept we will lose and can even take that we might lump it long but most of that team today could have worked far harder. I'm clinging to the hope that they have worked so hard in pre-season they are flagging and it is all part of the masterplan. If that is the case then Newell has definitely worked the hardest in pre-season as he looked completely knackered in terms of effort and attitude. Early days yet and at least Heck has told us what the plan is. Hopefully, it works out but he is heaping pressure on himself and new signings resting half a team and not getting a result
    Accurate and balanced report Nookie, Time will tell. And no my bedsheet' s are dry before any of you one liners behind your Keyboard have a rant without a valid discussion.

@hibs.net private member JohnM1875's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: johnmac1875
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post

I'm actually a massive Horgan fan, but the guy is usually burst by the 60 minute mark if he starts. If he finished the game today that's an improvement!

I missed today's game but seen the rest of pre-season and I totally agree about not seeing this style of play the manager said we'd implement though.

The season started today - it's not just about the league, this cup is one of only two we can win.

It started for Stirling Albion today too.

Left by mutual consent!
    Season started today regardless of what anyone says or thinks. Our players are professional athletes. You're not telling me that they've lost all fitness since mid May? Have they not been ticking over during their rest period? If not, why not?

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by loanheadhibby View Post
    Season started today regardless of what anyone says or thinks. Our players are professional athletes. You're not telling me that they've lost all fitness since mid May? Have they not been ticking over during their rest period? If not, why not?
    They've maybe not. If Heckingbottom is treating these as pre season games then it's not unusual for them to have trained this morning on top of their work this week.

That might be why they look leggy.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rehabacrossthesea Wii Code: 4040
    shaped up?
    Stirling, of course.