hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Left by mutual consent!
    Just returned yesterday after spending 14 days at the Cabana beach resort hotel at Universal.

The Hotel

Fantastic location, right next door to Volcano Bay, and they have a guest entrance on the Hotel so you can go directly onto the waterpark without much fuss. Bag and ticket checks are still in place but it takes out the hassle of "waiting in line".

One of the other benefits is that you get onto one of the parks an hour earlier than joe public, this changes daily, so it could be Island of Adventure one day, then Volcano bay the next. Once you get onto the park with your park ticket, they do a double check on your room key, so if you're staying here, make sure and take it.

The hotel itself was busy, but able to cope with the numbers. The Large catering area on the ground floor is canteenesque, but it's open from 7am until 11pm. The food is varied with Pizza, Chicken, Mexican, etc. They do breakfasts which are decent.

Two good sized pools, and you're never short of a sun bed, theirs loads of them, some on white sand, and others round the poolside. The pools are fully operational from 8am to 11pm, and are well covered with lifeguards. They are on the ball, and are constantly on the look out for trouble. They exercise every morning.

Ten pin bowling was good, and the Gym is very good if you're into that.

Universal buses pick you up outside the Hotel and take you directly to Universal. Fantastic service about every 10 minutes, and it's only about 5 minutes to get there. You don't even have to go onto the parks at night, but stay on Universal city walk(restaurants and pubs) where you can eat and drink whilst watching the fireworks.

Loads of taxi's around, either Uber, or Mears. We used both and Mears came out top for cleanliness and price.

We stayed up in the Universal area of International drive for the first week, taking in the three universal parks, SeaWorld, Nascar, Andretti karting, and more, and still loads to do. We then hired a car for the second week and done, Disney, Busch gardens, the Malls, and Aquatica. The car gave us more of an opportunity to get around, and eat out more. We still used our 14 day pass for Universal to go there at night when we came back from shopping/eating.

The rides, don't miss Busch gardens (Sheikra, Montu, Kumba) it was fantastic for the age of your kids. My Grandson(10) had a ball.

Universal. Don't miss Hagrids magic motorbike ride, and the Hulk

Disney was a bit meh for us. At 10 the wee man wasn't too interested, lets get back to Universal was the call.

We purchased a 6 park 14 day ticket from www.orlando-ticket-deals.co.uk before we went. It gets you into all three Universal parks, Sea world, Busch Gardens (with bus travel if you want) and Aquatica. If you have a car, it gets you free parking at all the parks listed(usually about $25)
    Last edited by ronaldo7; 16-07-2019 at 06:29 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just returned yesterday after spending 14 days at the Cabana beach resort hotel at Universal.

The Hotel

Fantastic location, right next door to Volcano Bay, and they have a guest entrance on the Hotel so you can go directly onto the waterpark without much fuss. Bag and ticket checks are still in place but it takes out the hassle of "waiting in line".

One of the other benefits is that you get onto one of the parks an hour earlier than joe public, this changes daily, so it could be Island of Adventure one day, then Volcano bay the next. Once you get onto the park with your park ticket, they do a double check on your room key, so if you're staying here, make sure and take it.

The hotel itself was busy, but able to cope with the numbers. The Large catering area on the ground floor is canteenesque, but it's open from 7am until 11pm. The food is varied with Pizza, Chicken, Mexican, etc. They do breakfasts which are decent.

Two good sized pools, and you're never short of a sun bed, theirs loads of them, some on white sand, and others round the poolside. The pools are fully operational from 8am to 11pm, and are well covered with lifeguards. They are on the ball, and are constantly on the look out for trouble. They exercise every morning.

Ten pin bowling was good, and the Gym is very good if you're into that.

Universal buses pick you up outside the Hotel and take you directly to Universal. Fantastic service about every 10 minutes, and it's only about 5 minutes to get there. You don't even have to go onto the parks at night, but stay on Universal city walk(restaurants and pubs) where you can eat and drink whilst watching the fireworks.

Loads of taxi's around, either Uber, or Mears. We used both and Mears came out top for cleanliness and price.

We stayed up in the Universal area of International drive for the first week, taking in the three universal parks, SeaWorld, Nascar, Andretti karting, and more, and still loads to do. We then hired a car for the second week and done, Disney, Busch gardens, the Malls, and Aquatica. The car gave us more of an opportunity to get around, and eat out more. We still used our 14 day pass for Universal to go there at night when we came back from shopping/eating.

The rides, don't miss Busch gardens (Sheikra, Montu, Kumba) it was fantastic for the age of your kids. My Grandson(10) had a ball.

Universal. Don't miss Hagrids magic motorbike ride, and the Hulk

Disney was a bit meh for us. At 10 the wee man wasn't too interested, lets get back to Universal was the call.

We purchased a 6 park 14 day ticket from www.orlando-ticket-deals.co.uk before we went. It gets you into all three Universal parks, Sea world, Busch Gardens (with bus travel if you want) and Aquatica. If you have a car, it gets you free parking at all the parks listed(usually about $25)
    On your point about Disney, last few times I went I felt they’d massively taken their eye off the ball and we’re almost complacent that people will just continue going even if they don’t improve/update things - which of course they do. I felt they’d went downhill a fair bit, Hollywood Studios especially had the whole back of the park closed where Lights, Motors, Action used to be etc and the park hardly had much on. Universal by comparison is superb for updating their rides and building new ones and I reckon is streets ahead of Disney. The fact I’ve been 20 odd times though could be part of the reason I’m a bit meh about Disney now though

Left by mutual consent!
    What would be best for kids who will be aged 12 and 10 when we are thinking of going? Sounds like Universal beats Disney?

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Me and my 14 year old love Disney and think it’s better than Universal. Universal was good but we couldn’t wait to get back to Disney.

We’re not Harry Potter fans though which I think is the reason we were a bit meh about Universal.

Quote Originally Posted by James310 View Post
    What would be best for kids who will be aged 12 and 10 when we are thinking of going? Sounds like Universal beats Disney?
    If you’ve never been before then they’re both great. I just felt like Disney was much the same quite a few years in a row.

I’d say universal is more based around bigger, faster rides. If your kids will be into going upside down on roller coasters etc then I’d say Islands of Adventure especially will probably be their favourite with Universal a close second.. although the Rock N Roller Coaster at Disney’s Hollywood Studios is probably the best ride of the lot imo.

@hibs.net private member Alfiembra's Avatar
    I haven't been for a few years now so wouldn't comment on the latest offerings from the theme parks, but there's so much more to see than just the parks.
    Kissimmee Old Town when the car meets are on are great entertainment, make an effort to go on an air-boat ride they are a hoot. There's also older parks like Gatorland that the kids would enjoy. Not forgetting a trip to the Kennedy Space Centre, especially this year with the 50th anniversary of the moon landing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    I haven't been for a few years now so wouldn't comment on the latest offerings from the theme parks, but there's so much more to see than just the parks.
    Kissimmee Old Town when the car meets are on are great entertainment, make an effort to go on an air-boat ride they are a hoot. There's also older parks like Gatorland that the kids would enjoy. Not forgetting a trip to the Kennedy Space Centre, especially this year with the 50th anniversary of the moon landing.
    I’ve been to see the cars at Kissimmee Old Town a few times. Really enjoyed it. Going into Orlando one evening and going to Church Street can be good aswell, can’t remember if it’s child friendly though.

Orlando City are playing at this time of year aswell

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfiembra View Post
    Old Town cars on a Saturday night are amazing. The crazy golf there is also good.

We did Air boat and Kennedy on the same day. Pished down with rain when we were on the airboat but it was really great fun. The boy driving it was like something out of Deliverance.

Was only in Orlando in April and now dying to go back again. Been 9 times and it gets better each time.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    Me and my 14 year old love Disney and think it’s better than Universal. Universal was good but we couldn’t wait to get back to Disney.

We’re not Harry Potter fans though which I think is the reason we were a bit meh about Universal.
    My grandson hadn't even seen the Potter films, and wondered why randoms were dressed in robes when it was very very hot.

This was our first Florida holiday for a while, and it did look like Disney had stood still, whilst universal had changed for the better.

Each to there own though.