hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

Festival and gig peeves

It does my head in when I see folk on other folk's shoulders.

I'm watching Glastonbury on catch-up and I feel angry watching the selfish ba***rds.

I don't know how I'd react if I'd paid £250 for a ticket and some cntu jumped on another cntu's shoulders and blocked my view.

I just realised that this could have been posted in the "irrational rage" thread.

Except, it's not irational.

On another note, those very high flags annoy me a bit too, but at least they serve a purpose. Do they have weights on the bottom or are they stuck in the ground?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    And don't get me started abou folk on other folk's shoulders holding flares.

My blood pressure wouldn't cope.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And don't get me started abou folk on other folk's shoulders holding flares.

My blood pressure wouldn't cope.
    And the muppets who launch full pints of beer (at least I think its beer) 🤬

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MSK View Post
    And the muppets who launch full pints of beer (at least I think its beer) 🤬
    Most definitely piss!

Why do folk hold those flags on top of about 10 tent poles?

Not really a peeve as such, I just don't see the point. 'You know what will enhance my festival experience, holding a long stick that is hard to control with a flag on the end'.

Attention seekers.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Not really a peeve as such, I just don't see the point. 'You know what will enhance my festival experience, holding a long stick that is hard to control with a flag on the end'.

Attention seekers.
    The flag on a long pole is designed to attract the attention of the people in your group.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    The flag on a long pole is designed to attract the attention of the people in your group.
    I'm still not sure I see the point.

If you all get split up can you not just have a designated meeting point rather than carrying a 20ft pole about?
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Most definitely piss!
    I remember T in the park many moons ago and the gossip were there (if you can remember them haha) Beth Ditto the lead singer got hit with a cup of piss and said something like 'do you think that bothers me?, I am from Arkansas' que cups raining down on her for the remainder of the set 😂

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Thankfully I no longer have to deal with this ****. I stopped the huge flags, pyrotechnics a crap like this once TITP moved to Strathallan.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

@hibs.net private member hibbybob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    What if it's the guy with the flag that's lost!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbybob View Post
    What if it's the guy with the flag that's lost!
    He’s not lost - everyone knows where he is!

I thought those big flags were just an attempt to get on the telly.

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    Bloody fairground rides. Not so much the rides but the awful soundtrack that accompanies them. One year at Wickerman all I could hear till about 2 am was some Dutch guy shouting over some dance music.

If folk must be flung 50 feet in the air can you do it in silence please while the rest of us listen to the music.

T in the Park having to go to Strathallan in the first place.

After many successful events at Balado, suddenly there was a hypothetical risk regarding a pipeline that ran beneath the venue leading to then having to abandon Balado.

T in the Park was brilliant, and they'd got it down to a fine art at that site.

I'm getting a bit too long in the tooth for it now, but I used to love going, and went every year.

I've had many of my favourite music watching experiences at T in the Park, going right back to seeing Oasis in the tent in Strathclyde country park as a 16 year old.

In my opinion it is badly missed.

@hibs.net private member Hibby70's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Hibby70
    People talking all the way through a gig (usually at high volume). Go to Starbucks or the pub if you need to catch up.

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    I'm still not sure I see the point.

If you all get split up can you not just have a designated meeting point rather than carrying a 20ft pole about?
    But then you walk to the meet up point and none of your crew are there. At least with the flags if you know all your mates are in the same stage / arena you can spot where the majority of them are almost immediately. Great when you are in a massive crowd like Glasto

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

After many successful events at Balado, suddenly there was a hypothetical risk regarding a pipeline that ran beneath the venue leading to then having to abandon Balado.

I'm getting a bit too long in the tooth for it now, but I used to love going, and went every year.

I've had many of my favourite music watching experiences at T in the Park, going right back to seeing Oasis in the tent in Strathclyde country park as a 16 year old.

The organisers were looking for a reason to abandon the Camping element of the festival and replace with what has become TRNSMT.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty

I went to TITP 13 times, but as soon as it moved from Balado I stopped going.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar

The oil pipe didn't even lie under the festival site, it was under an area of car park to the north of the arena.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Not really a gig or festival, but parking at the SECC Hydro.

When you’ve been rinsed for DanTDM tickets and merchandise, the last thing you want to do is pay £11 for parking for a few hours...and it took just as long to get out the multi storey.

On top of that, I didn’t even need to pay as we were just waved out at the barrier. 😩

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Not really a gig or festival, but parking at the SECC Hydro.

When you’ve been rinsed for DanTDM tickets and merchandise, the last thing you want to do is pay £11 for parking for a few hours...and it took just as long to get out the multi storey.

On top of that, I didn’t even need to pay as we were just waved out at the barrier. 😩
    Park in Finnieston, loads of good bars and a 10 minute walk through the red tunnel thing to the Hydro door.

TITP was turning into a ned fest probably due to the artists selected to play and thus trouble followed which ultimately led to the move to Strathallan. Now under the TRNSMT name the neds are more rife than ever and all these mainstream pop/dance acts have taken over.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscene Omeonga View Post
    TITP was turning into a ned fest probably due to the artists selected to play and thus trouble followed which ultimately led to the move to Strathallan. Now under the TRNSMT name the neds are more rife than ever and all these mainstream pop/dance acts have taken over.
    I didn't think it was any worse at the later ones than the first ones.

The demographic of the crowd would certainly change depending on the headline acts, but the sad fact is - if you take bit of sunshine, add Scottish blood and soak it in alcohol then you are going to have a few incidents.

Kinross used to become Scotland's 6th biggest city for one weekend every year. With that will come a certain amount of expected casualties.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    I didn't think it was any worse at the later ones than the first ones.

The demographic of the crowd would certainly change depending on the headline acts, but the sad fact is - if you take bit of sunshine, add Scottish blood and soak it in alcohol then you are going to have a few incidents.

Kinross used to become Scotland's 6th biggest city for one weekend every year. With that will come a certain amount of expected casualties.
    It definitely got worse, the first few years at Balado there was a great atmosphere, the campsite was fine and I never saw any bother.

The last time I camped there, there were fights all over the campsite, folk stealing stuff from tents and folk totally out of it looking for fights in the main arena.

The last time I went, I had the car so had to stay sober throughout. An absolutely horrific experience being sober and seeing everything with a clear head, it don’t mind folk drinking or taking drugs, that’s what I did when I was young, but when they can’t handle it or want to go fighting, that’s too far.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    £11?? It was £8 last time I was there. It's gone up by 37%??

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    I’m peeved by the Hydro itself. How can a venue designed specifically for gigs have such terrible sound?

Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    £11?? It was £8 last time I was there. It's gone up by 37%??
    Afraid so 😕

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Filming gigs on phones. People missing the experience there and then to watch it with awful sound and shaky camerawork later on.

People having conversations all the way through gigs.

People putting up little barriers with tape etc. around their group of friends tents. Soon as you leave it, I will go and take it down. Imagine having people walking past your tent at a festival that they've paid the same amount to get into as you.

Littering at festivals, especially in the campsite.

Instagram posers at festivals.

The 1975.

Having to buy tokens at festivals to get a pint. All the bars at Glastonbury are cash and it works.

People pushing to the front of the crowd when it's clear that the front is busy and the people there have been standing for ages. Arrive earlier.

The crowds that The Courteeners attract.

Geoff Ellis. An out of touch man who puts on a ***** festival.

Festival "exclusives". Want to see a touring band in Scotland in June/July? Hope they've not been signed up to TRNSMT/TITP back in the day as you're going to need to pay five times as much as a normal gig ticket to see them get 35 minutes in a 3/4 empty tent at a festival instead.
    Last edited by Northernhibee; 10-07-2019 at 05:07 PM.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Attention seekers.
    Flag debate alert 😎

Getting too old for gigs these days but one thing that always really irks me is the so-called "golden circle". You know the ring fenced area closest to the stage where the rich kids (who got in for free) go while the plebs who actually paid for tickets are kept as far away from the stage as possible.

Sweat. Now gigs tend to be warm, add in lots of movement and beer and you're gonna get some odours, but that's not what I mean. I mean the sweaty, bare-chested 8-foot tall choobs that keep bumping you in the face and clearly have hygiene issues. The kind of rank rotten 6-weeks without a shower and sleeping in a dumpster sort of stench.

Festival wristbands still being worn months after the event