hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes I found comparing him to the guy who scored the winner in the World Cup Final laughable. No, I'm giving my opinion, which posters do on a fans message board. Folk can agree or disagree, it makes no odds to me. I said link players weren't essential otherwise every team would have them.

Glad you enjoyed the enlightenment, let me know any other time you'd like my thoughts on a subject.
    Was at few games wi mate & we were disagreeing live about Dylan, I’m a huge fan & mate not so much tho liked him plenty enough, but neither the mate or me I reckon would assume quite as assertively as yerself about any player when we werenae actual seeing him close up, obv. wi your total decisiveness on all things D.M. With Hibs your in better position than likes ae me, particularly on un-reqd “link players” crack on!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    I think you’re getting a bit lost in your own straw man argument here. Of course Dylan is not Pirlo!

We need a central midfielder, Dylan was a good central midfielder and knows how to make Hibs play. The only issue worth discussing is his fitness record.

If you’re one of those who will never welcome back a player who has left the club then just say so.

If you can’t see what Dylan brought to the team then that is your issue.
    I said his contribution to the team was exaggerated IMO. Folk compared him on here to Pirlo and Iniesta, not me. I found it laughable due to their style of play never mind their ability.

Your stance is similar to Lennon's - sign talented players then try and fit them into a team. I'd rather we signed players to fit into a team structure. We need a defensive midfielder, that's not McGeouch. That's the issue worth discussing before even taking into consideration his injury record.

It's got nothing to do with him having left. I wanted Scott Allan back when many on here were slaughtering him, calling him a dirty Hun, claiming we shouldn't sign him because he'd only ever done well in his one season with us. My opinion on McGeouch has been the same throughout his time with us. Another poster on here can vouch for that if he reads this thread, we had many a disagreement during games.

I saw what he brought to the team I just didn't think it merits all the love-in.

Quote Originally Posted by majorhibs View Post
    Was at few games wi mate & we were disagreeing live about Dylan, I’m a huge fan & mate not so much tho liked him plenty enough, but neither the mate or me I reckon would assume quite as assertively as yerself about any player when we werenae actual seeing him close up, obv. wi your total decisiveness on all things D.M. With Hibs your in better position than likes ae me, particularly on un-reqd “link players” crack on!
    So going by your logic we should dismiss those who are assertive in their praise of McGeouch because they aren't seeing him close up either (whatever that actually means in this context) ? At the risk of repeating myself, I'm giving my opinion on a fans forum, that's all it is. I'm not claiming anywhere I know better than anyone else and posters have every right to disagree with my opinion, as some clearly are.

But it's good to get your permission to continue posting my views. I can sleep easily now.
    Last edited by jeffers; 07-07-2019 at 11:26 PM.

Testimonial Due
    So going by your logic we should dismiss those who are assertive in their praise of McGeouch because they aren't seeing him close up either (whatever that actually means in this context) ? At the risk of repeating myself, I'm giving my opinion on a fans forum, that's all it is. I'm not claiming anywhere I know better than anyone else and posters have every right to disagree with my opinion, as some clearly are.

But it's good to get your permission to continue posting my views. I can sleep easily now.
    Yes you are not allowed to have a contrarian view here. I like Dylan but I think you made good points.

Quote Originally Posted by SingHibs View Post
    Yes you are not allowed to have a contrarian view here. I like Dylan but I think you made good points.
    Cheers. It would be mighty boring on here if everyone agreed with each other.

I said his contribution to the team was exaggerated IMO. Folk compared him on here to Pirlo and Iniesta, not me. I found it laughable due to their style of play never mind their ability.

Your stance is similar to Lennon's - sign talented players then try and fit them into a team. I'd rather we signed players to fit into a team structure. We need a defensive midfielder, that's not McGeouch. That's the issue worth discussing before even taking into consideration his injury record.

It's got nothing to do with him having left. I wanted Scott Allan back when many on here were slaughtering him, calling him a dirty Hun, claiming we shouldn't sign him because he'd only ever done well in his one season with us. My opinion on McGeouch has been the same throughout his time with us. Another poster on here can vouch for that if he reads this thread, we had many a disagreement during games.

I saw what he brought to the team I just didn't think it merits all the love-in.

What a politician ye’d make! What waffle & no goin near questions asked! Imo McGeouch a brilliant player, did a brill job for us in a midfield Scotland was ravin about at the time, personnaly would love to see a player like that back playing for Hibs, ok I’m done back to time for mair of your assertive telling us how it is!

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Quote Originally Posted by SingHibs View Post
    You actually are allowed contrarian views, just by definition people will disagree with them.

It would be good if people got to grips with that concept before giving it the “not allowed” nonsense.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Quote Originally Posted by majorhibs View Post
    What a politician ye’d make! What waffle & no goin near questions asked! Imo McGeouch a brilliant player, did a brill job for us in a midfield Scotland was ravin about at the time, personnaly would love to see a player like that back playing for Hibs, ok I’m done back to time for mair of your assertive telling us how it is!
    Having read some of your previous posts you are definitely an authority on waffle. But thanks for assertively telling me McGeouch was a brilliant player and did a brill job for us.

Having read some of your previous posts you are definitely an authority on waffle. But thanks for assertively telling me McGeouch was a brilliant player and did a brill job for us.
    Cheers for the attention! Imo, McGeouch is a class player, & I loved watching the midfield he co-performed in, especially those last 6 months. But I guess that’s just me, boss. As I said crack on.

@hibs.net private member Rattler's Avatar
    Maybe, just maybe, if Mark Milligan had been afforded this chance...

@hibs.net private member MagicSwirlingShip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
    Maybe, just maybe, if Mark Milligan had been afforded this chance...
    Millsy would’ve been on a decent wedge. Perhaps Hecky thinks he can get better for less.

Allan and SJM flourished because Allan and SJM are superb players, the latter was Villa's best player last season in a league above the one McGeouch couldn't get a regular game in. The way some Hibs fans go on about McGeouch is laughable, I've seen him compared to Pirlo and Iniesta on this site, as a playmaker and a quarterback. Did they ever watch those players ? McGeouch is a link player, good at what he does, but you'd think it was essential to have someone in the team doing that as if defenders are incapable of passing it to their midfield colleagues.

Of course there is more to football than assists and goals, I mention them though because McGeouch won't win you games and he won't stop the opposition from scoring, he relies on others to do that. Is that not true ? I have never left a Hibs match after a loss/draw where McGeouch wasn't playing and thought we could have drawn/won that game if only he'd been playing.
    Certainly think we would've won the 2016 league cup final, really missed him. You obviously don't rate him but remember that every time our defenders turn back this season, he would be there, taking it from them and moving it forward instead.

I'd welcome him back but if he went to Aberdeen i wouldn't be gutted

Dylan is a very good deep midfielder who was able to hold onto the ball in a tight situation, he had great composure on the ball and always seemed to offer himself to receive a pass, he did the simple basic things well in that pivot role between the CH's and midfield but was sometimes caught out by his lack on any real pace. In a midfield with Dylan you'd still need that hard working player beside him as his all round mobility is suspect, McGinn and Fyvie are 2 players that did that graft, if Dylan came back, we'd need Omeonga or someone similar in there, Mallan and Allan beside Dylan would still have us struggling and that's probably why Heckingbottom hasn't considered him. Ojo or Omeonga are being considered because they have more energy and mobility in the midfield which gives Mallan and Allan the freedom to play their own game, all about balance.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    I'd welcome him back but if he went to Aberdeen i wouldn't be gutted

This is where I am

Would he get into our team?

Yes

Dylan won’t reach the standard he did with us when he earned a Scotland call up. I’ll stick my neck out and say he won’t win another Scotland cap from now until the end of his career. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Certainly think we would've won the 2016 league cup final, really missed him. You obviously don't rate him but remember that every time our defenders turn back this season, he would be there, taking it from them and moving it forward instead.
    I’ll counter your 2016 league cup final with the 2015 Scottish Cup Semi Final which I think we’d have won if he hadn’t been playing.

It’s not that I don’t rate him, I just don’t think he’s as essential as others do. If he passed it forward every time he received the ball I may agree with you but it’s simply not true. Quite often he passed it back to a defender or passed it sideways. I’ll say it again for the last time as I’ve made my point enough times, it’s a genuine defensive midfielder we need (if he can play a bit too all the better) and that’s not McGeouch.

DM had his chance to stay and didnt, you are right he was a good player - but past tense! If he had signed on again i’d Have been happy but he didnt and left. I’m not convinced his injuries wouldn’t catch up again so could be we are looking elsewhere with that in mind. I’d have thought a fully fit DM Would have been able to get a game for Sunderland. PH will want his own type of player inand could be DM isn’t his cup of coffee.

What is evident is we need to bring in x2 players who can take the ball from the back into midfield under pressure.

It’s a key role in any team.

I’ll counter your 2016 league cup final with the 2015 Scottish Cup Semi Final which I think we’d have won if he hadn’t been playing.

It’s not that I don’t rate him, I just don’t think he’s as essential as others do. If he passed it forward every time he received the ball I may agree with you but it’s simply not true. Quite often he passed it back to a defender or passed it sideways. I’ll say it again for the last time as I’ve made my point enough times, it’s a genuine defensive midfielder we need (if he can play a bit too all the better) and that’s not McGeouch.
    It's not a genuine defensive midfielder we need, it's someone to take the ball from Hanlon and give it to Allan.

What is us losing that game because of McGeouch based on? We absolutely battered them and he played well.

This blanket statement that he couldn't get a game for Sunderland is daft. He couldn't get a game for Celtic (along with Ambrose, Stokes, Commons and Henderson) and it has absolutely no relevance to his ability for get into Hibs team. It's fair enough if PH doesn't want him and has other ideas but it's ridiculous to start questioning Dylan's ability. A brilliant player for Hibs.

It's not a genuine defensive midfielder we need, it's someone to take the ball from Hanlon and give it to Allan.

What is us losing that game because of McGeouch based on? We absolutely battered them and he played well.
    I disagree we need someone to protect the defence to allow Scott Allan and Mallan to focus on what they are good at. Paul Hanlon is perfectly capable of playing a 15-20 yard pass into Scott Allan. He also managed to get the ball ok in his first season with us where McGeouch missed a decent number of games. Do you genuinely believe a midfield of McGeouch, Allan and Mallan wouldn’t struggle defensively?

Watch their goal. McGeouch was sleeping at the back post allowing Sibbald a free header for their goal.

This blanket statement that he couldn't get a game for Sunderland is daft. He couldn't get a game for Celtic (along with Ambrose, Stokes, Commons and Henderson) and it has absolutely no relevance to his ability for get into Hibs team. It's fair enough if PH doesn't want him and has other ideas but it's ridiculous to start questioning Dylan's ability. A brilliant player for Hibs.
    It’s not daft, he’s described as a brilliant footballer by many on here, if he was that brilliant it’s not unrealistic to expect him to get a game in the third tier of English football. By the end of the season he couldn’t even make their bench. Celtic are a far better team than Sunderland so it’s no disgrace not getting into their side.

Out of interest why do you think he couldn’t get a game for Sunderland ? I only saw him play once, a 20 or so minute sub appearance, but if it was typical of his other games for them I can see why he didn’t figure more often.
    Last edited by jeffers; 08-07-2019 at 08:42 AM.

I disagree we need someone to protect the defence to allow Scott Allan and Mallan to focus on what they are good at. Paul Hanlon is perfectly capable of playing a 15-20 yard pass into Scott Allan. He also managed to get the ball ok in his first season with us where McGeouch missed a decent number of games. Do you genuinely believe a midfield of McGeouch, Allan and Mallan wouldn’t struggle defensively?

Watch their goal. McGeouch was sleeping at the back post allowing Sibbald a free header for their goal.
    Who was protecting the defence when Dylan was last here? We seemed to do not too bad in midfield then?

Blog Entries

Dylan played well in that game & we should have won in a canter but he lost Sibbald for their goal. Report below.

And that was confirmed when Falkirk launched their first counter-attack of the second half, ending with Alston delivering an excellent cross and Sibbald muscling ahead of McGeouch to nod past Oxley.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicSwirlingShip View Post
    Who was protecting the defence when Dylan was last here? We seemed to do not too bad in midfield then?
    It worked in the main because we were better going forward than most of our opposition. Still didn’t stop Aberdeen pumping us, conceding 3 and 5 at home to Killie and the Huns respectively. Also the SJM factor shouldn’t be forgotten, he provided much needed dig and drive.

I should also expand on what I’m thinking of when I say defensive midfielder. By that I mean someone to protect the defence but also put in tackles in the middle of the park. Someone to stand up against the thugs of Hearts and Aberdeen and give Scott Brown something to think about.

It worked in the main because we were better going forward than most of our opposition. Still didn’t stop Aberdeen pumping us, conceding 3 and 5 at home to Killie and the Huns respectively. Also the SJM factor shouldn’t be forgotten, he provided much needed dig and drive.

I should also expand on what I’m thinking of when I say defensive midfielder. By that I mean someone to protect the defence but also put in tackles in the middle of the park. Someone to stand up against the thugs of Hearts and Aberdeen and give Scott Brown something to think about.
    Nice one. Personally I’d rather have Dylan in there, really enjoyed watching him as footballer. Looks like that ship has sailed though unfortunately.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think the role you mention is as important as people like to make out. Put the resources elsewhere and brief young Ben Stirling on the position

For the people saying we done ok defensively last time he was here, we had John McGinn who would do all the chasing, tackling, and make it difficult for opposition midfielders.

We were also playing a 352 which made it a lot more compact in the centre of the park.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    For the people saying we done ok defensively last time he was here, we had John McGinn who would do all the chasing, tackling, and make it difficult for opposition midfielders.

We were also playing a 352 which made it a lot more compact in the centre of the park.
    It's incredible that Dylan got so much game time in his final season considering how much of a passenger he seemingly was.

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

There’s a Hibs.net exaggeration if ever I’ve read one.

The infamous 1 man press