hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hedges is a very good talent, could walk into the Celtic and Rangers team imho

Big statement that.

I’ve never seen him personally play before but reading the comments from the sheep is that he’s very similar to Jonny Hayes.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    It’s not a myth, it’s a fact. What McGeouch brings to the team is ineffectual without good players in front of him.

The bigger myth is that Scott Allan and SJM needed McGeouch to flourish.
    That is definitely not a fact

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    It’s a fact that he’s not great defensively, rarely If ever provided an assist and scored once in his last 2 years with us.
    If teams are picked on how many goals players have scored it’s a wonder we don’t start 11 strikers every week.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Dylan McGeough was a fantastic player throughout his time at Hibs. He obviously had an issue with a long term injury but when he played we were a better side. The myth he 'needed McGinn and Allan' is exactly that. A myth. People underestimate the importance of a player who can take the ball, keep it and move it on.

People trying to downplay how good a player McGeough is are just trying to rewrite history because he is potentially signing for a rival imo. Some of the nonsense being written is just bizarre.
    He didnt need either of them when he was playing very well alongside Robertson & Fyvie. He was class & I'm sure if injury free will show that again.

It’s not a myth, it’s a fact. What McGeouch brings to the team is ineffectual without good players in front of him.

It's arguably a fact that McGeough played his best football in a Hibs strip as part of that trio. The same could be said of the other 2. We had close to the best midfield in the country for 6 months.

It's unmitigated nonsense to suggest McGeough was 'ineffectual' without McGinn and Allan. He was a stand out in a far weaker midfield in our 1st season in the Championship. Evidently the players felt he offered something massively important to the side as he walked away with their POTY award.

Football players can't just be judged on goals, assists and tackles. McGeough took the ball from deep, took the ball and kept it in tight areas, recycled the ball and kept possession when a move broke down and the ball ended up 30-40 yards from the opponents goal and dictated the pace of a game. The same people who don't seem to rate McGeough probably say banal things like 'Barry Ferguson and Paul McStay only passed the ball sideways.'

Evidently the players felt he offered something massively important to the side as he walked away with their POTY award.
    What the hell would they know about it? 😂

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    It's arguably a fact that McGeough played his best football in a Hibs strip as part of that trio. The same could be said of the other 2. We had close to the best midfield in the country for 6 months.

It's unmitigated nonsense to suggest McGeough was 'ineffectual' without McGinn and Allan. He was a stand out in a far weaker midfield in our 1st season in the Championship. Evidently the players felt he offered something massively important to the side as he walked away with their POTY award.

Football players can't just be judged on goals, assists and tackles. McGeough took the ball from deep, took the ball and kept it in tight areas, recycled the ball and kept possession when a move broke down and the ball ended up 30-40 yards from the opponents goal and dictated the pace of a game. The same people who don't seem to rate McGeough probably say banal things like 'Barry Ferguson and Paul McStay only passed the ball sideways.'
    I don't disagree that his last season was his best, he was fitter, he missed less games and was possibly motivated by a manager telling the media that his injury problems were in his head.

I said what he does is ineffectual without decent players in front of him and I stand by that. He doesn't stop goals and he doesn't create or score goals.

I don't rememember him as a standout in our first season in the Championship. I remember him being decent but missing a fair number of games through injury. I do however remember Scott Allan as being a standout and destroying the Huns in a midfield that contained Liam Craig, Scott Robertson and Danny Handling.

Personally I thought McStay was a bit overrated, Barry Ferguson I thought was a great player.

I have never once said McGeouch wasn't a talented player, but I've never got the love-in with him either.

@hibs.net private member

Complete nonsense. It was a midfield partnership.
    Allan and McGinn flourished because McGeouch brought the ball out of defence and got them in the game.

You could see in the season past how much Hibs missed him. Milligan did a fair job but not to the same level or consistency and Mallan just wasnt able to play that role yet.

There is more to football than assists and goals. Perhaps not easy for some to see that though.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    I don't disagree that his last season was his best, he was fitter, he missed less games and was possibly motivated by a manager telling the media that his injury problems were in his head.

I said what he does is ineffectual without decent players in front of him and I stand by that. He doesn't stop goals and he doesn't create or score goals.

I don't rememember him as a standout in our first season in the Championship. I remember him being decent but missing a fair number of games through injury. I do however remember Scott Allan as being a standout and destroying the Huns in a midfield that contained Liam Craig, Scott Robertson and Danny Handling.

Personally I thought McStay was a bit overrated, Barry Ferguson I thought was a great player.

I have never once said McGeouch wasn't a talented player, but I've never got the love-in with him either.
    McStay was a much bette4 footballer than Ferguson.

Kind of agreeing with what you say about Dylan, he ‘s better as part of an effective unit. Decent footballer, but we need something different right now. He’s luxury we probably can’t afford.

Testimonial Due Stokesy's on fire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    6 consecutive top 4 finishes, 4 in 2nd place. It’s been nearly 15 years since we had the “bottle” required to finish higher than 4th.
    The only reason they have done well was down to the fact the league was at its all time weakest. The big guns were all out the way for a while.

Not sure what this even means. Is anyone suggesting that we sign him and play him with poor players. We have already signed Allan so going by your logic, presumably his play will be effectual?

Quote Originally Posted by LeithMike View Post
    Complete nonsense. It was a midfield partnership.
    Allan and McGinn flourished because McGeouch brought the ball out of defence and got them in the game.

You could see in the season past how much Hibs missed him. Milligan did a fair job but not to the same level or consistency and Mallan just wasnt able to play that role yet.

There is more to football than assists and goals. Perhaps not easy for some to see that though.

Allan and SJM flourished because Allan and SJM are superb players, the latter was Villa's best player last season in a league above the one McGeouch couldn't get a regular game in. The way some Hibs fans go on about McGeouch is laughable, I've seen him compared to Pirlo and Iniesta on this site, as a playmaker and a quarterback. Did they ever watch those players ? McGeouch is a link player, good at what he does, but you'd think it was essential to have someone in the team doing that as if defenders are incapable of passing it to their midfield colleagues.

Of course there is more to football than assists and goals, I mention them though because McGeouch won't win you games and he won't stop the opposition from scoring, he relies on others to do that. Is that not true ? I have never left a Hibs match after a loss/draw where McGeouch wasn't playing and thought we could have drawn/won that game if only he'd been playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Stokesy's on fire View Post
    The only reason they have done well was down to the fact the league was at its all time weakest. The big guns were all out the way for a while.
    Not true.

13/14 - Hibs and Hearts were in the league
    15/16 - Hearts were in the league
    16/17 - Rangers and Hearts were in the league.
    17/18 & 18/19 - Hibs, Rangers and Hearts were in the league.

Even regardless of what bigger teams were out of the league, they have still had to be consistently beat the 10 “smaller” teams below them, something we will need to replicate if we are to break into the top 3.

Allan and SJM flourished because Allan and SJM are superb players, the latter was Villa's best player last season in a league above the one McGeouch couldn't get a regular game in. The way some Hibs fans go on about McGeouch is laughable, I've seen him compared to Pirlo and Iniesta on this site, as a playmaker and a quarterback. Did they ever watch those players ? McGeouch is a link player, good at what he does, but you'd think it was essential to have someone in the team doing that as if defenders are incapable of passing it to their midfield colleagues.

Of course there is more to football than assists and goals, I mention them though because McGeouch won't win you games and he won't stop the opposition from scoring, he relies on others to do that. Is that not true ? I have never left a Hibs match after a loss/draw where McGeouch wasn't playing and thought we could have drawn/won that game if only he'd been playing.
    If you asked McGinn and Allan what they thought of McGeough’s impact on their game what do you think they’d say?

Quote Originally Posted by Stokesy's on fire View Post
    This theory really annoys me, Aberdeen have came second because they’re second best.

Us, Rangers and Hearts were all brutal and that’s why we weren’t in the top flight, we can’t say they had it easy because we weren’t in it. If we were in it, it wouldn’t have made it any harder. We got relegated for a reason.

Thats like Leeds fans saying the top 4 have it easy since they’re not in it, times change.

Thankfully we’re now on the way back up and can start challenging for 4th, but to say Aberdeen had it easy is ridiculous.

Lets bare in mind in Stubbs final season we also finished behind Falkirk...

Not sure what this even means. Is anyone suggesting that we sign him and play him with poor players. We have already signed Allan so going by your logic, presumably his play will be effectual?
    What I am saying is we need a better balance in our midfield, we need a genuine defensive midfielder. That's not McGeouch. I think a midfield of him, Allan and say Mallan would be good going forward but would provide our defence with little to no cover.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    McStay was a much bette4 footballer than Ferguson.

Kind of agreeing with what you say about Dylan, he ‘s better as part of an effective unit. Decent footballer, but we need something different right now. He’s luxury we probably can’t afford.
    That is probably what Hecky is thinking but who?

To be fair Jeffers raised a valid point

McStay or Barry The Crab Ferguson

It deserves its own thread

I preferred McStay more attack minded

It would have been nice to see him challenge himself abroad or in the EPL

Oh and that penalty miss against Raith Rovers the miss that launched a scoreboard 😁

If you asked McGinn and Allan what they thought of McGeough’s impact on their game what do you think they’d say?
    I'd hazard a guess they'd say he played his part in the midfield but that they'd have done just as well without him.

I'd hazard a guess they'd say he played his part in the midfield but that they'd have done just as well without him.
    In respect of Allan it looks like we’ll find out this season whether that’s true or not.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    That is probably what Hecky is thinking but who?

To be fair Jeffers raised a valid point

McStay or Barry The Crab Ferguson

It deserves its own thread

I preferred McStay more attack minded

It would have been nice to see him challenge himself abroad or in the EPL

Oh and that penalty miss against Raith Rovers the miss that launched a scoreboard ��
    We were linked with Ojo. I have never seen him play but reading up on him he sounded like exactly the type of player we need to provide balance to our midfield.

Natural ability I thought McStay probably shaded it, but overall I thought Ferguson the better player. Despite playing most of his career primarily as a deep midfielder Ferguson still managed to score 18 goals one season, so he had it in him as an attacking threat.

Didn't Hecky say in a press conference that he wasnt looking at Dylan even if he was available.

We obviously need a deep playing midfielder who can run with the ball so I wonder what his thought process was apart from wages obviously.

Dylan is not the best tackler so can only think Hecky is looking for an out and out defensive holding midfielder.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    We were linked with Ojo. I have never seen him play but reading up on him he sounded like exactly the type of player we need to provide balance to our midfield.

Natural ability I thought McStay probably shaded it, but overall I thought Ferguson the better player. Despite playing most of his career primarily as a deep midfielder Ferguson still managed to score 18 goals one season, so he had it in him as an attacking threat.
    I have been banging on about Hecky revisiting OJo as I think we might be able to come to some sort of “arrangement” with S****horpe but I obviously do not know all the ins and outs
    Barry Ferguson played 288 games for Rangers scoring 44 and a further 189 scoring 4 with other teams
    Paul McStay played 515 games for Celtic scoring 56 Scotland 76 scoring 6
    As you say Fergusons goal scoring record not bad for a DM
    Neil Lennon might have hit the nail on the head with Dylan when he said he expected his players to be more”robust”
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 07-07-2019 at 09:56 PM.

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar

Oh wow, eh. Laughable other opinions & are the fact you don’t rate him, eh? What you say must all be true then, eh? Link players only not reqd! Cheers for the enlightenment!

@hibs.net private member

I think you are focussing too much on last ditch defending or the final pass and goal. You're right that a player like McGeouch wouldn't be involved in those too often. But, you cannot overlook the role of taking the ball from defence to attack and retaining possession. You cant lose a goal if you have the ball and you cant score a goal if you dont have it. A player like Dylan keeps you in possession when you normally lose it and he uses the ball really wisely. He never just passed it sideways. He drove Hibs forward from deep. I thought he was a fantastic player for Hibs - most notably in his final year when he finally got played in his best position.

Quote Originally Posted by majorhibs View Post
    Oh wow, eh. Laughable other opinions & are the fact you don’t rate him, eh? What you say must all be true then, eh? Link players only not reqd! Cheers for the enlightenment!
    Yes I found comparing him to the guy who scored the winner in the World Cup Final laughable. No, I'm giving my opinion, which posters do on a fans message board. Folk can agree or disagree, it makes no odds to me. I said link players weren't essential otherwise every team would have them.

Glad you enjoyed the enlightenment, let me know any other time you'd like my thoughts on a subject.

I'm a McGeough fan, but the fact is that if we signed him tomorrow then we'd still have the same midfield holes in the squad that we do today.

I'd only sign McGeouch if the remaining budget would still allow us to fill those holes.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

I think you are focussing too much on last ditch defending or the final pass and goal. You're right that a player like McGeouch wouldn't be involved in those too often. But, you cannot overlook the role of taking the ball from defence to attack and retaining possession. You cant lose a goal if you have the ball and you cant score a goal if you dont have it. A player like Dylan keeps you in possession when you normally lose it and he uses the ball really wisely. He never just passed it sideways. He drove Hibs forward from deep. I thought he was a fantastic player for Hibs - most notably in his final year when he finally got played in his best position.

I agree with some of that, retaining possession is definitely a good thing. Where I disagree is that quite often he did pass it sideways and quite often backwards too. It's also not just about last ditch defending it's about being aware, tracking runners from midfield. At times McGeouch switched off and we lost goals because of it.

As I've said many times about McGeouch it was never an issue about his ability for me, it was about him showing more conviction in his play and belief in that ability. For me his best two games for us were against Hearts at ER in his final season, he played more advanced, drove us on and was superb both nights. Too often for me he took the "safe" option.
    Last edited by jeffers; 07-07-2019 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post
    I'm a McGeough fan, but the fact is that if we signed him tomorrow then we'd still have the same midfield holes in the squad that we do today.

I'd only sign McGeouch if the remaining budget would still allow us to fill those holes.
    This In a nutshell.

Undoubtedly a very good player, but he wouldn’t solve the huge fact that we need a player in there with a bit of bite and defensive awareness.

Fwiw I actually think Mallan is better defensively than McGeouch, that’s how much I think Hecky has improved him and his knowledge of the role.

Agree with all of this.

When thinking of Dylan's performances for us I always think of the game we "spanked" Hearts 1-0, the Simon Murray goal. IIRC, thanks to Dylan and SJM in particular we totally bossed them in midfield, their ball retention in tight spaces that night was incredible.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar

I think you’re getting a bit lost in your own straw man argument here. Of course Dylan is not Pirlo!

We need a central midfielder, Dylan was a good central midfielder and knows how to make Hibs play. The only issue worth discussing is his fitness record.

If you’re one of those who will never welcome back a player who has left the club then just say so.

If you can’t see what Dylan brought to the team then that is your issue.