hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Would I take him back at ER? Absolutely. Is he one of the best CM’s in the league? IMO yes. Does our manager want him? No. Will he be a success at Aberdeen? IMO no as he doesn’t fit their style he’s not a shin or smashing into tackles. Is this all pointless as we aren’t interested in him? Yes.

Added to all this the reason hecky got rid of Milligan was because he wants “something different” in the role I think he wants athleticism in there and Dylan wouldn’t offer that either

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Springbank View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe a controversial view but I'd sell Mallan if it helped to get a mid 3 of mCGeough, Allan & Omeonga

An Aberdeen v Hibs game where McGeough is in red and Mallan in green risks being one where the team in red have the ball and we can't get it off them
    Quote Originally Posted by LeithMike View Post
    I would too.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    I would too.
    Any chance I could sit beside you guys?

The most important word in your post is Victory. I would happily adopt an 'Aberdeen' style of play if it meant we replicated their performances in the league over the last 6 seasons.
    i believe oji is still very much on the cards btw and thats the role hecky sees as missing

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    I've said this a few times now, but if he does sign for Aberdeen I'll be interested in how he does for them. Given their "style" over the past 2-3 seasons I'm not convinced he's a great fit for them.

As for coming to us he's not what we are missing from our midfield. We need a genuine defensive midfielder to bring more balance, that's not and never has been McGeouch IMO. Given the choice I'd prefer Omeonga, although even he isn't a genuine DM.

I've never got the love-in with McGeouch, a decent player who could be even better given his talents if he showed more ambition in his play. He's not a playmaker as some describe him., but a good link player. Asides from anything he's very injury prone, we got one good season out of four where he managed to play a significant number of games - it appears he was back to missing games through injury again last season.

Would I worry about coming up against an Aberdeen side with McGeouch in it ? No, not at all.
    With you on this. Over-use of the word "great" on here. Very good yes, excellent at times, but for me not consistent enough to be a Hibs great, sometimes disappeared and I recall berating him too often for not tracking back and us losing goals as a result. Not surprised he didn't make it at Sunderland. Eggshell. We need an enforcer who is not going to crack. Milligan-like, but better.

Doesn't always work bringing a player back. I get the impression Heckingbottom is looking at young hungry players. I was pleased the majority of the time when Dylan was playing but getting him playing and playing regularly was the hard part. Seems it was similar at Sunderland.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barman Stanton View Post
    Time will tell who we have playing in that role and what style he wants us to play. Certainly when we had Dylan, Allan, McGinn we did not need a more defensive player in most games (I get we had Bartley for Hearts games etc). For me, he must have some cracking player in mind if he is going to be better than McGeouch.
    If he signs a midfielder who links defence to midfield then I'd agree he should have signed McGeouch, but I just don't see that is the role he is looking to have filled. A replacement doesn't necessarily has to better than McGeouch ability wise, but if he's better at breaking up play and providing cover to the defence that's a better option for me.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    The most important word in your post is Victory. I would happily adopt an 'Aberdeen' style of play if it meant we replicated their performances in the league over the last 6 seasons.
    Oh I definitely agree with that. My point was more that Aberdeen aren’t going to start playing silky keep ball just because they sign Dylan.

McGeouch is a good player. Absolutely no doubt about it. Would him signing for Aberdeen mean we “couldn’t get the ball of them”? No chance.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 05-07-2019 at 01:11 PM.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LeithMike View Post
    Any chance I could sit beside you guys?

Speaking on behalf of the other 2 in our our season ticket group we are amenable to you moving seats PowderhallMike

Not a chance I would swap Mallan for Omeonga.

Omeonga runs about a lot and presses players well, I’m just not convinced about him on the ball. Yes a very good assist against St Johnstone but other than that I can’t think of many.

I would take him in the squad as he would be a good option, but sell him for Mallan? Did he not come out as Our top goal scorer, assists. Players player and fans player?

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Its not based purely on that, he was excellent for 4 years, a quick look at my post history and previous threads on him will show I've always believed he was a class player and vitally important to how Stubbs and Lennon played.
    I am going to politely disagree with you, I always thought even when he was playing, prior to his last very good season, he flitted in & out of games. No doubt a talent but fragile one at times.
    Can I also say I don't think he was overly bothered about being at ER.
    Last edited by Lago; 05-07-2019 at 02:00 PM.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    Not a chance I would swap Mallan for Omeonga.

Omeonga runs about a lot and presses players well, I’m just not convinced about him on the ball. Yes a very good assist against St Johnstone but other than that I can’t think of many.

I would take him in the squad as he would be a good option, but sell him for Mallan? Did he not come out as Our top goal scorer, assists. Players player and fans player?
    Yes, Mallan achieved all of that. Some folk still don’t rate him though, which I find baffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Yes, Mallan achieved all of that. Some folk still don’t rate him though, which I find baffling.
    Will never be good enough for some people. Find it crazy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    I worry about Heckys vision if it's a vision where a player of Dylan McGeouch's quality doesn't fit in
    Maybe PH wasn't previously over aware of Dylan. No doubt he'll have been alerted to him by George Craig etc but if his only personal contact/view of Dylan was last season then it's understandable he's not making a huge effort to bring him back.

I think Mallan gets a hard time. Had a terrific start and faded let’s not forget he’s only 22 is he not. For years we never had any goals from midfield the fact he is the best striker of the ball at the club imo says a lot for him. Hopefully with Allan in the team I can see Mallan getting a bit more room to let fly at goal. Opposition teams second half of season cottoned on to what was coming and were quick to press him within 30 yards. Allan and Boyle can free space for him.

dylan Coming back would be fantastic how any hibs fan would refuse him I simply don’t understand. Absolutely the type of player I want to watch every second week at Easter road, worth the season ticket money alone.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: yekim evol
    100% agree with this great footballer with amazing vision and distribution of the ball; would love to see him back at ER.

I remember Kenny Millar's line about Dylan in the 2-0 Natural Order derby. It could easily go on a gravestone

"21 players came here tonight to play an Edinburgh Derby. Dylan McGeough came here to play football".

Hibs are Dylan's natural home.

A very good footballer, and I don’t think anyone on here would be disgruntled if he were back in our squad. I just don’t think we all believe we should be bending over backwards to bring him back or think PH is some clueless manager for not making huge efforts to bring him in.

He was part of arguably the best midfield in the country at one point, yes. We’ve got Allan back and never will get McGinn back. Those two were ahead of everyone in my book... it’s stevie Mallan, Omeonga or anyone else for that matter played alongside those two.. they’d stake a claim to the best midfield in the league also.

Very good player and welcome back? Absolutely
    Break the bank or plans in order to sign him? Not for me.

I remember Kenny Millar's line about Dylan in the 2-0 Natural Order derby. It could easily go on a gravestone

"21 players came here tonight to play an Edinburgh Derby. Dylan McGeough came here to play football".

Hibs are Dylan's natural home.
    A nice quote and probably fairly accurate too. However some may argue that we spent a number of years playing football against hearts and getting nothing out of it as we didn’t turn up to play an Edinburgh derby..

@hibs.net private member 500miles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post
    I was critical of Mallan when he first joined, particularly in terms of his work off the ball. Since the new manager came in, he's improved vastly in that respect. I think he will continue to improve too.

Have they now missed the deadline to sign him for their euro tie?

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Since452 View Post

We spend years moaning about the lack of goals from midfield and then we score a goal scoring midfielder and we moan about that.

Mallan’s not perfect but he offers a lot.

Left by mutual consent!
    I would like us to put all the effort into Omenonga

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    I would like us to put all the effort into Omenonga
    Dylan is a better player than Omeonga IMO

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by S4uzee View Post
    Dylan is a better player than Omeonga IMO
    Injury worry vs sell on and potential value?

Wee Omeonga wins hands down

All these comments that Dylan didn’t enjoy or appreciate being at Hibs as much as certain other players.... bizarre stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    All these comments that Dylan didn’t enjoy or appreciate being at Hibs as much as certain other players.... bizarre stuff.
    To be fair I always got the impression he enjoyed it at hibs as far as loved it but, he wasn’t quick to come back after his loan spell and he did have the offer to stay in the first place but was always edging towards leaving with Aberdeen always muted. It’s naive to think players will always love it and never want to be anywhere else

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Defo very emotional the last game of the season

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    We spend years moaning about the lack of goals from midfield and then we score a goal scoring midfielder and we moan about that.

Mallan’s not perfect but he offers a lot.
    I agree, but he was played as a deep lying midfielder when PH came in, and i'd prefer Dylan every time over Mallan in that position.

I think he was conflicted and probably still is.

He was very happy playing for us and had some great times with us. He probably wasn't a huge fan of the manager but they come and go.

The sad fact is that he knew he could get far more money elsewhere and he knows that he can do that now. Choosing between money and happiness isn't easy, especially when you're injury prone and you have a short career.

He was clearly very emotional when he left but he has to do what is right for him. Surely we don't begrudge a cup winning legend that right?

Always one of the last off the pitch applauding the fans after every game.

I always had the impression he loved it as Hibs.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Defo very emotional the last game of the season
    Seemed like a rather subdued fellow as well, wouldn’t expect wild reactions from him, so for him to get emotional means something.