hibs.net Messageboard

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by S4uzee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did he not say that McGeouch was a player that we looked at but not interested?

Very concerning if he doesn’t want McGeouch but delighted to get James and newell in
    He said that before the Ojo was kyboshed. Might be back looking at him again.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I've no idea if McGeouch is a serious option or not but if he is we should be doing everything we can to make it happen.

Taking the emotional side of things out of it for a second with all the legend/Scottish Cup stuff (which is true but isn't a reason in itself for bringing back a former player) he is genuinely one of the best players I've watched at Hibs.

He oozed class in the majority of games he played for us and was an absolute pleasure to watch. I'd love to see him back with us and I'd be disappointed if the management and recruitment teams aren't doing everything possible to make it happen.

@hibs.net private member jeffers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    We constantly hear stories about how Hearts spend silly money on a Naismith or someone else, usually they have a massive impact in their team and their season as a whole.

Aberdeen consistently for the last 6/7 years have spent more than us for the star signings they want, which we're usually also linked with, and again they tend to have massive impacts on their season which includes finishing above us and beating us in a Semi Final of the Scottish Cup.

I'd LOVE it if we just finally broke the purse strings a bit and signed a player on what would be above our wage packet and got a player in. Especially if they're someone like Dylan who will no doubt be a huge player for us.

There comes a point where you have to speculate to accumulate and we need to knock down the door to get into the top 3 or else we'll be a mid table club again for years until the next golden generation or Stubbs' Squad comes along for the fleeting 18 month/2 year where we might win a trophy or get far into Europe.
    And if we do that and the player misses a large part of the season through injury, what then ?

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    Probably more likely that they get both.

“An offer he couldn’t refuse” getting used for Aberdeen taking our first choice target. Basically we wouldn’t match them. Are we happy to just accept them being a bigger club than us? I have no doubt if we go head to head for Dylan too that they will make the better offer.

Time Hibs decided if we want to make an impact in this league or just exist and do nothing.
    Aberdeen have some idiot millionaire pumping his own cash into them.

We don’t have a millionaire who’s prepared to do that so unless we have a death wish, it isn’t going happen and rightly so.

I don’t think them having a millionaire backer makes them bigger than us. It just means they have a millionaire. We averaged 3k more in attendance and are already 3k ahead of them in ST sales.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Ingram View Post

We don’t have a millionaire who’s prepared to do that so unless we have a death wish, it isn’t going happen and rightly so.

I don’t think them having a millionaire backer makes them bigger than us. It just means they have a millionaire. We averaged 3k more in attendance and are already 3k ahead of them in ST sales.
    They also have sponsorship, which helps, obviously.

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    They also have sponsorship, which helps, obviously.
    We have 3,000 more fans per week than them which helps, obviously. The main reason as pointed out to you above is the millionaire benefactor handing them cash. We don't have that so we won't put ourselves at risk. I have said it already today, their strategy is not a long term one. For evidence of it not working see what happened at Gretna, Motherwell X 2, Dundee, Hearts, Dundee Utd for examples of what happens when owners plough money in and then stip

We aren’t talking about a Russian oligarch here though, his pockets aren’t that deep.
    In order to attract a significantly better player than clubs like Hibs and Aberdeen can currently afford would take a massive amount of extra dosh. If we buy smart we should be able to counter any small financial advantage they have.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffers View Post
    And if we do that and the player misses a large part of the season through injury, what then ?
    Thank god you're allowed to sign more than one player.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    What if he scores the goal that gets us into Europe, or the winner in the Scottish cup final?

Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    We aren’t talking about a Russian oligarch here though, his pockets aren’t that deep.
    In order to attract a significantly better player than clubs like Hibs and Aberdeen can currently afford would take a massive amount of extra dosh. If we buy smart we should be able to counter any small financial advantage they have.
    If it's true that Gordon is focussed on investment in the Academy, then that is good news. Whatever the relative financial positions of Hibs and our nearest competitors, it isn't sustainable for a club of our size to continue trying to build a first team squad just through buying players.

In the last 10 years, i can only think of Porteous coming through the ranks and establishing himself in the first team. Others have came in, showed promise, then faded away to eventually play their football at a lower level. It has been a huge failure at the club in recent times. Hopefully the likes of Murray, Shaw & Campbell will reverse that trend.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    If it's true that Gordon is focussed on investment in the Academy, then that is good news. Whatever the relative financial positions of Hibs and our nearest competitors, it isn't sustainable for a club of our size to continue trying to build a first team squad just through buying players.

In the last 10 years, i can only think of Porteous coming through the ranks and establishing himself in the first team. Others have came in, showed promise, then faded away to eventually play their football at a lower level. It has been a huge failure at the club in recent times. Hopefully the likes of Murray, Shaw & Campbell will reverse that trend.
    Wotherspoon has played at the same or higher level since he left.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    What if he scores the goal that gets us into Europe, or the winner in the Scottish cup final?
    And what if he misses the end of the season and can't play in the final ? I'm not suggesting we shouldn't break the budget for a player we deem worth it (we did it when we brought back Stokes.) I just don't want us to gamble on a player with a history of missing a number of games through injury. Hearts are taking that gamble with Naismith, he was probably their best player when he played, but was out injured for a good part of the season and they were garbage without him.

Quote Originally Posted by 90+2 View Post
    Wotherspoon has played at the same or higher level since he left.
    Forgot about Spoony. Still a poor return on 10 years of youth development (I think Hanlon made his debut in 2008?).

And what if he misses the end of the season and can't play in the final ? I'm not suggesting we shouldn't break the budget for a player we deem worth it (we did it when we brought back Stokes.) I just don't want us to gamble on a player with a history of missing a number of games through injury. Hearts are taking that gamble with Naismith, he was probably their best player when he played, but was out injured for a good part of the season and they were garbage without him.
    We would never sign anyone if we worried about them getting injured?

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    We would never sign anyone if we worried about them getting injured?
    My original reply was to the poster who mentioned McGeouch, but re-reading his he did actually say someone like him, not him specifically. So I'm actually agreeing with both of you

My original reply was to the poster who mentioned McGeouch, but re-reading his he did actually say someone like him, not him specifically. So I'm actually agreeing with both of you

Testimonial Due
    But not sustainable. A millionaire will only blow so much of his fortune unless he his an idiot. In either case it will eventually stop.

Left by mutual consent!
    McGeough is wasting his time at Sunderland, he was playing for Scotland 12 months ago and playing some great football. Now he is a bit part player at a League 2 club. I guess the wages help.

Quote Originally Posted by James310 View Post
    McGeough is wasting his time at Sunderland, he was playing for Scotland 12 months ago and playing some great football. Now he is a bit part player at a League 2 club. I guess the wages help.
    Sunderland are League 1 not League 2.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    Sunderland are League 1 not League 2.
    I am still in old money, yes League 1. Still not a place for someone who was playing international football 12 months ago to be.

Blog Entries
    I never said they were but it’s enough to put an extra couple of grand a week on what we can afford which is what has made all the difference Ojo’s move.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by James310 View Post
    I am still in old money, yes League 1. Still not a place for someone who was playing international football 12 months ago to be.
    League 1 will be packed with internationals of some sort my friend.

Testimonial Due Stokesy's on fire's Avatar
    I never said they were but it’s enough to put an extra couple of grand a week on what we can afford which is what has made all the difference Ojo’s move.
    They wanted Scott Allan remember...and we got him because we paid enough to convince him Hibernian was the place to be.

Left by mutual consent!
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Rehabacrossthesea Wii Code: 4040
    Quote Originally Posted by Stokesy's on fire View Post
    They wanted Scott Allan remember...and we got him because we paid enough to convince him Hibernian was the place to be.
    Wrong!

Scotty came back, not just for the money, but because he knew home is where the heart is.

If we had to entice a player financially, like Aberdeen have just done with Judas, then imo, we are better off without that player.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stokesy's on fire View Post
    Did they?

Even if they did how do you know what we offered and what they offered?

And with Allan you’re comparing apples with oranges. It’s a completely different situation. Allan has only ever really done well at one club and that’s here. He needs to get his career back on track. Ojo did well at S****horpe and was weighing up offers. He had zero connection with either club and went for the most money.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post

Left by mutual consent!
    Signed until summer 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Hibeesmad View Post
    Signed until summer 2022
    A technically sound and talented midfielder might be a priority for us by then......

Pretty gutted he’s went there to be honest.